snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Statue hitchhikes cross country

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Statue hitchhikes cross country
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I ran across this in an old file:

"Have you noticed how help is often available just when you need it? A few
years ago, a California artist carved a unique Christmas gift for his
parents in Connecticut. It was a four-foot tall statue of a hitch-hiker,
with thumb extended. (The perfect gift for the discriminating
home-owner...) His gift was unusual, but his method of shipping the statue
to his folks was even stranger. He simply set it beside the road and let
it "hitch" its way across the continent. Around the statue's neck he hung
a sign bearing his parent's New England address, and across its chest was printed
the word "Connecticut" in large letters. Several weeks and some 2,500
miles later, unknown hands delivered the gift to the woodcarver's parents
in time for Christmas."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not supprised at all. Most people are honest and like to help. Also how many poeple would pick up a wooden hitch-hiker and move him alone just to say they did it.

The forest service does a similar thing here to get supplies to a location along a trial. They will set a load of lumber or other supplies at the trail head with a sign that read some like; "Please take a piece of wood or two up to the next sign 3 miles up trail or a far as you can. If you see some of the wood along the trail and can move it along, please do so". In a week or two the stack at the trail head will be gone and stacked next to were the work will be done along the trail.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh that's just cool!!!

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NickFun
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NickFun   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's much safer than picking up a REAL hitch-hiker!

--------------------
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." —George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

Posts: 102 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages