snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » I'm doing urban legends for my project!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm doing urban legends for my project!
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 19 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a power point presentation entitled "10 Urban Legends... Debunked" (the point of the project is to show the professor what we've learned with powerpoint)

Does anyone have any suggestions for which 10 I should do? I'm thinking more horror-themed ones, but there's so many to chose from! [Smile] If you were to veiw this project, what are the 10 ULs you'd *most* want covered? I want this to be really exciting! [Big Grin]

(Btw, on a side note, does anyone know of any site where one can legally dl clips/sound effects/etc which is NOT kazaa (or similar programs) and virus free? I'm so afraid of just clicking links I find on google.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: The Masquerade:
It's a power point presentation entitled "10 Urban Legends... Debunked" (the point of the project is to show the professor what we've learned with powerpoint)

Does anyone have any suggestions for which 10 I should do? I'm thinking more horror-themed ones, but there's so many to chose from! [Smile] If you were to veiw this project, what are the 10 ULs you'd *most* want covered? I want this to be really exciting! [Big Grin]

(Btw, on a side note, does anyone know of any site where one can legally dl clips/sound effects/etc which is NOT kazaa (or similar programs) and virus free? I'm so afraid of just clicking links I find on google.

Here's some for you:

1) If I save enough tabs from Coke Cans, I get XXX.
2) Hanging Munchkin
3) And just 'cause you have to, Coke and Pop Rocks. I did this the other day, and it does absoloutely nothing. It may even do less than when you eat pop rocks plain.

Other than that, I would point you to the "Hottest Urban Legends" section, to see whats currently making the rounds.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please, please, please, say something about all the variations on "forward this to 10/100/1000 persons and get 10$/1,000,000$/a free TV/lots of people angry at you". Explain there is no such thing as an "e-mail tracking program" and that some of these e-mails have been around for years with nobody ever getting anything.

It's not very dramatic, but it's about the most annoying UL I've ever run into.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The horror ones are fun; if I had to choose, I would tell the "kidney thieves" story, the "hypodermic on the movie seat" story, and the "choking Doberman" one.

Don't name names of teachers, but you might look at some of the history-related ones and see if you and/or some of your classmates were told them in school. Examples: the "ring-a-round-a-rosy" is about the Black Plague; Catherine the Great died performing an unnatural act with her horse. Or see if anyone's Spanish teacher told the one about "Nova" not selling in Spanish-speaking countries.

Which email petitions have you received lately? Any glurge stories?

In short, choose a few of each kind. Are you instructed to choose only 10, or was that your decision?

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got time limits, so 10 is the most I can do.

So far I'm liking:

~Pop Rocks and Coke (I'll try nd get a video clip of the Mythbusters episode where they tried it with a pigs stomach)

~Randomly Poisoned Halloween Candy

~Soda tabs for [blank]

~e-mail forwards for prizes

~dropping a penny from the empire state building and killing a person/denting the cement

As for chainletters and forwarded glurge: I don't get any! (knock on wood <--- that, my dear children, is called irony [Wink] ) My junk-mail box is full of newgroup letters which accidently get sent there. No-wonder I'm so darned chipper [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about a section on pseudo-ostention, and how just because some woman sold her husbands car on EBay for $5 (or whatever the amount was) last year, that doesn't mean the story was originally true.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
finger stutters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finger stutters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about which legend are popular in your area, but around here every year people talk about the five or ten story haunted house that is so scary that no one has ever completed it. Maybe some of the legends that are common in your area would be interesting.

--------------------
YHBT. YHL. HAND.
My youtube channel

Posts: 258 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by all I want for Xmas is thescoot106:
I don't know about which legend are popular in your area, but around here every year people talk about the five or ten story haunted house that is so scary that no one has ever completed it. Maybe some of the legends that are common in your area would be interesting.

Ooh, that's popular, and so is the perfume robbery. I'd like a good mix though, not all scarey things. I'm a big fraidy cat [Frown] , so I need more bland things to balance them out.

ETA in all seriousness, even that sewer alligator drawing in the upper left corner is a bit too much for me

--------------------

Carol of the Dells

Icon 203 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still accepting suggestions, etc, btw [Smile]

--------------------

Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fun! I almost did a project (research paper for an english class) on urban legends but I had trouble figuring out how to work it and ended up doing one on pet food instead.

I would suggest choosing the ones that you have heard people repeat most often.

If you're looking for horror there's always the microwaved pet UL or the hypodermic needles in coin return slots of pay phone/vending machines.

You could always cover the college UL that all school have a set time you have to wait- X minutes - for a professor who is late for class before you are allowed to leave.

Also keep in mind that just because something is an "urban legend" does not have to mean it never happened.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages