snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Well-known Urban Legends Growing to be Unknown? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well-known Urban Legends Growing to be Unknown?
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I started a thread on another forum a few days ago about Bloody Mary, curious to hear of other peoples' experiences there. I was surprised to find that 95% of the users on the board didn't know who this Bloody Mary was! [Eek!] I was even more surprised to find out that my own wife never heard of her, either!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience in which what you thought was a well-known urban legend turned out to be not known by most of the people you know?

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never heard of Bloody Mary until I found Snopes.com.

I'm not sure if that's because she's not a wide-spread story in Australia or if I was just a particularly cynical child and nobody thought it was worth all the "but, why?" questions involved in trying to scare me.

Where are most of those 95% from? Is Bloody Mary a widespread UL throughout the world? If she is a North-American-specific story and the board users are from elsewhere, that might help explain it.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am more often shocked to find out that people not only have heard of a particular legend, but firmly believe it. The best example would be the "eating 8 spiders per year" thing. Even when I bring that up as an example of a completely ridiculous legend, people will say "No, that one's true!" Why do they want so badly to believe that they eat 8 spiders every year?

I guess an unknown one might be the HIV needles placed to infect the innocent. My boyfriend and mother were both unaware (lucky them) that this scare lore ever existed.

Edited to be more on topic.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
Where are most of those 95% from? Is Bloody Mary a widespread UL throughout the world? If she is a North-American-specific story and the board users are from elsewhere, that might help explain it.

The vast majority are from the US, although a couple are from the UK. While it might not be a world-wide phenomenon, I've always understood it to be a fairly well-known legend in the states. I guess I was taken in by a UL of my own making, eh? lol

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Velour Fog
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Velour Fog   E-mail The Velour Fog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm from Australia, and I remember hearing the Bloody Mary story when I was in school (it would have been about 13 years ago I reckon)But it was fairly short-lived. I guess the one that really surprises me is Picnic At Hanging Rock. The number of people who swear they remember it happening, or knew someone who knew someone who went missing etc.

--------------------
She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro

Posts: 26 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard vaguely of Bloody Mary, but I heard people telling the story about the same time that someone told me about Candyman, so I get the two confused.

I used to believe the '8 spiders a year' thing until I read it here.

Over here, most of the stuff about Coke is pretty unknown. I've never heard any rumours about Coke other than 'it used be green' (and about it originally having cocaine in but that's true so doesn't count). Similarly with Disney, there're less ULs about it here.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn’t there a new bloody Mary film coming out soon? This might get BM a little better known
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MsBeaverhausen
Deck the Malls

Icon 217 posted      Profile for MsBeaverhausen   E-mail MsBeaverhausen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son was telling me about candyman the other day so I told him about Bloody Mary. He said that Bloody Mary isn't real but candyman is. Kids are funny.

--------------------
I love Jesus... PURPLE JESUS !!!

Posts: 248 | From: Ft. Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i had not heard of candyman apart from the movie candyman in Melbourne Victoria Australia i heard Bloody Mary once in Sydney NSW and not as at true story

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the general age group of the people who have never heard of "Bloody Mary". I ask, because I never heard of it until one of my godchildren started telling me about it -- so maybe it's only well known amoung people under 30 or something.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squirel Noir

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squirel Noir   E-mail Squirel Noir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing this when I was in grade school. My sister and I would dare each other to go into the bathroom with the lights off and say her name three times into the mirror and scare the bejuzzus outta ourselves.
Heck, I'm in my 30s now and the thought of doing that still makes me jumpy.

BTW have you thought that the UL might be regional? I never heard of her as a child growing up in Florida, but I moved to the mid-west and heard the stories all over the place.

--------------------
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Posts: 3 | From: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jdmarlin06
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdmarlin06     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also was under the impression that BM was well known here in the U.S. I heard it in school when i was around 8 or 9.
Posts: 89 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember reading the story in some scary novels when I was a kid. Around the same I heard it from other elementary-age kids.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quink
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quink   E-mail Quink   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Bloody Mary going around my elementary school when I was in grade two or three. It was mainly popular with the older kids at the time.
Posts: 53 | From: Calgary | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one here who heard it first in public school.

Seems that a lot of people here heard it at a young age. Is it possible some people on the other board heard it and simply forgot about it?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Iron Pineapple
Generation Game Pie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Pineapple   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had quite a few instances of 'Bloody Mary'; this was in the UK, age group of 9-12 or so.
Nothing dreadful happened unfortunately, apparently she would just appear in the mirror, or you would- horrors! lose your balance.
We were a little hazy on both the myth and actual history, so I remember thinking it was something to do with Mary Tudor.

--------------------
"Xev, darling... Sir!"

Posts: 39 | From: England, Centre Of | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just asked the 39 year old man, 16 year old girl, 14ish year old boy and NONE of them had heard of Bloody Mary. When I described who and what Bloody Mary was, the 39 year old said, "Like that movie, Candyman?"

Now my 14ish year old son wants to try it.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I heard of "Bloody Mary" was in an episode of "The X-Files"... I was later surprised to find out (on Snopes) that it was an actual UL.

Same goes with Candyman.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get asked about my snopes bumper sticker. I thought everyone heard the vanishing hitchhiker story, it's even in an American Fokelore and Legend book from Reader's Digest (published 1978) that I have.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can attest the the Bloody Mary UL is alive and well in elementary schools in Ontario. Candyman is less weel known, but I do hear it occasionally, too.

I teach 12 and 13 yos. They _know_ it's not true, but they're torn between wanting to believe it and not wanting to believe it. Many of them are still at the stage that they _need_ to hear that it's not true from an adult.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't tell you when I heard about Bloody Mary, but I've known of it since I was a kid.

I've never heard of Candyman as being an UL; I always just thought it was a horror movie. I'd more likely associate Candyman with Willy Wonka anyway.

Wingéd "because he mixes it with love" Bear

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sanguinista
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sanguinista   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sanguinista   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm 22, and until about four years ago, I had to sleep with blankets over my mirrors because of Bloody Mary. I also refused to go into any room containing mirrors if the lights were out. A very irrational fear, I know.

My exposure to the Bloody Mary UL was my older cousins locking me in the bathroom and making me do it when I was young. I also remember it being included in one of the Scary Stories books.

Posts: 16 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
The first time I heard of "Bloody Mary" was in an episode of "The X-Files"... I was later surprised to find out (on Snopes) that it was an actual UL.

Same with me although I was quite obsessive with all things occult as a teenager and knew the ins and outs of ouija boards and tarrot.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Creeper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Creeper   E-mail Creeper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
I started a thread on another forum a few days ago about Bloody Mary, curious to hear of other peoples' experiences there. I was surprised to find that 95% of the users on the board didn't know who this Bloody Mary was! [Eek!] I was even more surprised to find out that my own wife never heard of her, either!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience in which what you thought was a well-known urban legend turned out to be not known by most of the people you know?

Thats happened to me as well, its sad because Bloody Mary has always been the most fun and interesting one for me, but alot of people have no idea what im talking about [Frown]

--------------------
always darkest before the dawn

Posts: 2 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know the Bloody Mary one either until I read Snopes.

I wonder if showbiz UL's are destined to fade out if the younger generation doesn't have an interest in movie/theater history. "Did you know that Humphrey Bogart was the model for the Gerber baby?" "Who's Humphrey Bogart?"

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sanguinista:
I'm 22, and until about four years ago, I had to sleep with blankets over my mirrors because of Bloody Mary. I also refused to go into any room containing mirrors if the lights were out. A very irrational fear, I know.

My exposure to the Bloody Mary UL was my older cousins locking me in the bathroom and making me do it when I was young. I also remember it being included in one of the Scary Stories books.

Dear Lord, your cousins were evil!
Some of the hardest things to oversome can be "rituals" we started doing as children.
I have also learned that movie or book plots that are humourous at noon can be downright hair raising at 3 am.

I knew about Bloody Mary - I learned about it in middle school. I think it probably IS a regional thing.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learnt about bloody mary at school and the candy man from the movie, but some friends from guides took it too far on camp and were making it out as though he was after me, and scaring me something chronic. I neer saw the movie until my friends forced me to when i was 18, and i lost my fear after that. Though watching a tv show called supernatural last night fears returned and i'm lucky i managed to sleep.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew about bloody mary from a book I think it was "Night Frights"...candyman was the same creepy thing lol
Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sanguinista:

There is a story that a girl killed herself in my inlaws bathroom (which is upstairs, mulit family house we're in the basement) So I avoid mirrors as well!
Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had Bloody Mary when I was in primary school (1980-1987). I too thought it was something to do with Mary Tudor. Candyman was never mentioned.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

I thought the legend was based off of her?
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
I thought the legend was based off of her?

Mary-a-chow

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm 24 and I remember at EVERY slumber party, we had to do Bloody Mary in the bathroom.
My cousins and I would never be able to get through the whole thing but we would try it every time. [Razz]

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

I remeber being scared as hell around number 10 then stopping [Big Grin]
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MissE:
I'm 24 and I remember at EVERY slumber party, we had to do Bloody Mary in the bathroom.
My cousins and I would never be able to get through the whole thing but we would try it every time. [Razz]

Ah, yes. Bloody Mary was definately de rigueur at every slumber party I've ever attended. It was always followed by plans of sneaking out and going to Bachelors Grove cemetary (a local "haunted" place). Of course we never did sneak out, it was just a lot of big talk.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages