snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » What urban legend were you surprised to find real/fake? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What urban legend were you surprised to find real/fake?
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just received an email regarding a teen's death after gettting high off Dust Off. I came to snopes to find a link debunking it so that I could inform my friend that she's an idiot for believing emails, only to find the story is true! I was so surprised, not because I didn't think it could happen but because I generally don't believe anything that comes to me in the form of a glurgy-email.

Have you ever been utterly surprised to find that a story you believed/didn't believe was actually false/true?

[ 03. September 2005, 02:29 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I secont the "dust-off" one. We got a newslatter at work that had the story and I could not believe that they were using Glurge in the newsletter! [fish]

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sawing Manhattan in half, President-for-a-day Atchison, The Statue of Liberty was based on a black model and the one vote pamphlet were all reported as being true by different "infomercials" by the Armed Forces Network. Never trust the AFN!

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Poseidon Adventure one. The fake IMDb link fooled me. I thought it was strange that the 1911 entry was not coming up on the real IMDb.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/headless.htm

Especially given the article's reference to a Head gym bag...

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/headless.htm

Especially given the article's reference to a Head gym bag...

I had just left that unit before it happened and several of my comrades were witnesses. I also talked to a couple of MPs involved in the case and they confirmed that it was indeed Head brand. One of the jokes when the evidence arrived was that there was no need to label it. This was also the second murder in as many months in the same unit (less than 1,000 men). In the other, a trooper, while drunk, murdered his 18 month old daughter by holding her ankles and slamming her repeatedly against the walls of his apartment. After these incidents, the Army instituted mandatory training for all units in the process of disbanding to prevent such occurrences.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/handcuff.asp

I was convinced this had to be false when I first heard it. I was very surprised to learn it actually happend.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evilwonderwoman
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well everyone here might think I'm an idiot, but I was surprised to learn that we actually use more than 10% of our brains.....uh DUH!!
Well I'm using the full 100% now....hehe
I think most people just wanna believe that all humans have more potential.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Uraunde

I just found that website here recently and was so stunned, that so many stories I just believed to be true were actually fakes.

Like all those whee lawsuits. Generally, we told them when we wanted to show just how stupid US-legal system had become (and, I'm afraid, to proof the stupidity of a large amount of american population) So I suppose I owe an appology [Wink]

I was reliefed to find out that the story about the 8 spiders a year was a fake.

have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was initially sceptical about the story of the lawyer who took on a skyscraper window and lost. But I suppose, just sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction!

Little Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evilwonderwoman:
Well everyone here might think I'm an idiot, but I was surprised to learn that we actually use more than 10% of our brains.....uh DUH!!
Well I'm using the full 100% now....hehe
I think most people just wanna believe that all humans have more potential.

I went around quoting this UL for years, too, mostly to shut up lazy kids saying their brains were too full to learn what I wanted them to.

I believed a lot of the show business ones, such as that Ronald Reagan was originally supposed to play the lead in "Casablanca."

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlankStare
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlankStare   E-mail BlankStare   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw on Discovery channel's urban legend show (very good show by the way) that there was no silent version of the Posiden Adventure.

--------------------
That was Merle Haggard with I Kissed My Sweetie With My Fist.

Posts: 27 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toto

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toto   E-mail Toto   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite was of Humphrey Bogart

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/bogart.htm

I felt some relief in knowing that I was right about his mom.

--------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Posts: 35 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just last week I had an argument with my friend about the Coriolis Effect, and I argued that toilets in the southern hemisphere flush counterclockwise. (It came up in an argument about fantasy football - long story.) I was so sure I was right, I actually said, "If it wasn't true, it would be on Snopes, and it isn't."
It is.
I mean, Lisa Simpson believed it, so I don't feel TOO stupid...

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
D

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D   E-mail D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was so scared of that Three Men and a Baby ghost that I wouldn't watch the video when I was a kid. Up until I found this site, I never new it was just a standee. I still get a chill when I see it though, remembering my fright of that scene.

D

Posts: 22 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, it's not on Snopes, but the urban legend about Andy Milonakis being 30. I couldn't believe it, but it's true.

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aquadude:
IIRC, it's not on Snopes, but the urban legend about Andy Milonakis being 30. I couldn't believe it, but it's true.

Hey!
Apparently he is 2 days younger than I am, and I'll have you know that neither of us are 30!
He's only 29!

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 16 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

OmiGod!!!!!!!!!!!! Me and my boyfriend were talking about this the other day! I told him that they were around the same age and he wouldn't believe me! As weird as it may be, I was HORRIFIED to find out that he was that friggin old.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MissE:
quote:

OmiGod!!!!!!!!!!!! Me and my boyfriend were talking about this the other day! I told him that they were around the same age and he wouldn't believe me! As weird as it may be, I was HORRIFIED to find out that he was that friggin old.
On behalf of those over the age of 29, may I say: Ouch... [Razz]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Justaweebit

on behalf us us well over 29, who the heck is Andy Milonakis? [Confused]
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justaweebit:
on behalf us us well over 29, who the heck is Andy Milonakis? [Confused]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1429102/

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Killer In the Back Seat
A friend of mine told me this one many years ago, only it had happened to her aunt whose husband worked at a prison (or something like that). She had gone to deliver him his lunch that he had left behind and stopped for gas on the way home. Thus the UL goes on.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! My mom told me that one and it was some girl she worked at the Libby's (yes, the veggies) factory. Same thing, late shift at work, stops for gas... and so on.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Double Latte
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Double Latte   E-mail Double Latte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, three! I grew up convinced that I MUST look into the back of the car before I get into it!

--------------------
"Senility Prayer"
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference.

Posts: 1755 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believed for a long time the woman of Chiang Mai Thailand had their necks stretched from an early age & would die if they removed the gold rings.

It’s an optical illusion their necks are normal and the rings come off at night

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberries 'n Sugar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberries 'n Sugar   E-mail Strawberries 'n Sugar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I's pretty sure that their necks are actually streched (not as much as it looks, but quite a bit longer than normal). I don't think that they die when they come off, but they have a difficult time holding up their heads. I remember watching it on the discovery channel and they had some woman take off her rings and show how her neck looked.

Strawberries "it looked creepy" 'n Sugar

ETA: (new rememberances) I think that they also added one ring every few years

--------------------
I made it!
-Me

Posts: 298 | From: Eau Claire, WI; formerly Bloomington, MN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Draos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Draos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tee Hee:
Just last week I had an argument with my friend about the Coriolis Effect, and I argued that toilets in the southern hemisphere flush counterclockwise. (It came up in an argument about fantasy football - long story.) I was so sure I was right, I actually said, "If it wasn't true, it would be on Snopes, and it isn't."
It is.
I mean, Lisa Simpson believed it, so I don't feel TOO stupid...

This one shocked me. I had teachers tell me it was true. My mom and I had a recurring discussion about it with both of us just rolling our eyes after a few mintues. I fear the day it comes up again and I have to admit I was so mistaken.
Posts: 30 | From: Brigham City, Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Strawberries 'n Sugar:
I's pretty sure that their necks are actually streched (not as much as it looks, but quite a bit longer than normal). I don't think that they die when they come off, but they have a difficult time holding up their heads. I remember watching it on the discovery channel and they had some woman take off her rings and show how her neck looked.

Strawberries "it looked creepy" 'n Sugar

ETA: (new rememberances) I think that they also added one ring every few years

Their necks aren't stretched, the collar bones are pushed down, thus giving the illusion of a stretched neck. I read an article in National Geographic, but can't find a link for it.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Necks not stretched
quote:
The women's necks aren't actually stretched. Rather, the weight of the rings gradually crushes the women's collar bones, producing the illusion of long necks. At least, that's the official explanation. In person, the effect is sufficiently striking to overwhelm thoughts of any rational explanation. The necks seem eerily elongated. The women look like giraffes.

They move around the village slowly, stopping to pose for tourist photos. Our guide explains that the women only remove the rings on their wedding night. Then, a long and elaborate process of neck washing ensues. Otherwise, the rings must remain in place, because the women's muscles can no longer support the neck alone.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, so the necks aren't stretched, rather the collar is crushed. Still I wouldn't call it an "optical illusion".

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dam9191
Deck the Malls

Icon 201 posted      Profile for dam9191   E-mail dam9191   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D:
I was so scared of that Three Men and a Baby ghost that I wouldn't watch the video when I was a kid. Up until I found this site, I never new it was just a standee. I still get a chill when I see it though, remembering my fright of that scene.

D

This is the one that really surprised me as I had read about how this was true in The Grand Forks Herald (ND newspaper) about the time the video came out.

Well, isn't everything one reads true?

dam "don't believe what you read" 9191

--------------------
"There is no Heaven
So I can't believe in Room 19."
-Bob Geldof

Posts: 207 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember the story of the russian airmen who stole a cow, put it in their military transport plane and flew off... The cow panicked, kicked a door open, jumped out of the plane and fell from several thousand meters, sinking a japanese fishing boat on impact ?

I heard it on the swiss radio (which usually checks its sources quite carefully), and found the story so hilarious I told it to everyone... the same day, it turned out to be a hoax invented by russian journalists who wanted to see how long it would take for such a tall story to go around the planet.

1. I looked pretty stupid. [dunce]

2. I was horribly disappointed. The story was so good it deserved to be true (but so are most legends, aren't they ?).

3. I grew more cautious about urban legends. Now, I automatically have a look on this site before I start spreading the news. [Smile]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
darth_vader_crusader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darth_vader_crusader   E-mail darth_vader_crusader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Theres many urban legends on the show Beyond Belief: Fact of Fiction. They even show either a Fact stamp or Fake stamp to be that some were true or a hoax. Though they dont prove any logical proof in the show.

--------------------
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 21 | From: Pomona, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tikidrone
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tikidrone   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tikidrone       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/military/statue.htm

I heard this when I was a kid...always believed it.

--------------------
I have seen the future and it licks itself clean. Bucky Katt

Posts: 478 | From: Between B'more and Naptown Md. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages