snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Urban Legends you are tired of (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Urban Legends you are tired of
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
Pastors during sermons who pass off UL's as if it happened to them. If you've been going to church a lot, you will have heard of some of them.

- Coverting an atheist to Christianity who sits next to him on a flight.

- Pastor picks up hitchhiker in a town he's visiting and it turns out that he's the guy that the local congregation had been praying for earler because he was leaving his wife today. Pastor convinces him to go back home.

- Missionary family finds a chihuahua while in Mexico and it's really a rat.

- Lady from his congregation who lost her contact lens while climbing and an ant finds it.

...shall I continue?

Oh my goodness, great gravy train....I hate that too. Check this link:

http://www.rrmemphis.com/ul.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Most of the glurge stories on my page have been told by one or both of our two most recent pastors at my church (other than the current guy).

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
Welp, both my mother and I have met the boy. . .{edit}

Fair enough.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'm gonna hate myself in the morning.

When I taught school in 1989 there was a girl in the second grade classroom across the hall at Pecan Springs Elem. in Austin, TX whose name was Female Holder (feh-MAH-lay). I don't think there's any question that the name gets used. The legend (check yer snopes) is in regard to how the name (Female, Lemonjello, Eczema) was bestowed, either in ignorance of the correct pronunciation, being unable to read or recognize the word, not knowing the true meaning, or thinking that the child was already named by the hospital.

(this, by the way, was my initiation to the snopes board threads back in 97? 98? can't remember. Mehgan didn't believe me, but we're past that now.)

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I substituted as pianist at a local church one summer, and while the minister did occasionally use glurges and recite ULs from e-mail forwards, he was always sure to include, "Now, of course I don't have any evidence that actually happened, but even if not, the story illustrates..." It was refreshing to meet a minister who didn't just accept every modern-day parable that came across his inbox.

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
terrell
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terrell   E-mail terrell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine is actually one created by snopes itself, the story that Mr. Ed was really a zebra. I don't know how many people keep telling me that. Refering them to snopes doesn't help.
Posts: 10 | From: Harrison, Arkansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
terrell
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terrell   E-mail terrell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gayle, Grand Illusion, et al

I actually think that would be an example of ostentation. (did I spell that right?) Any urban legend is succeptible to that. It still doesn't change the ULs status as a UL. I'm not sure, but I don't think that snopes even classifies it as true/false anyways. (I'll check when I'm not running late for an appointment)

Posts: 10 | From: Harrison, Arkansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Funkmistress
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Funkmistress   E-mail Funkmistress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm tired of every hysterical legend about teenage sexuality in These Modern Times. Rainbow parties, sex bracelets, pop can tabs, blah blah blah. It's always false, and yet people buy into this crap every single time.
Posts: 223 | From: Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smartymarty66
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smartymarty66         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My father in law sends endless emails about how tough/hardworking/good the baby boomers were- They all ate lead paint, drove without seatbelts, ate what they want, stayed out all day and entertained themselves with a rusty can and a piece of wet string and how civilisation is in decline because oft he youth of today. Yeah, it's all generation Xs fault.
Posts: 58 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izunya
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izunya   E-mail Izunya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it used to be the "D&D is teh Satanism" legends, but after reading some of the old entries in You've Got Mail, I've decided to add anti-Harry Potter myths to the list of Things Which Hang My Munchkin.

When I think a book is promoting Really Bad Stuff, I go out and take a look at it! (This explains, among other things, why I have spent time on Jack Chick's website and once looked through a rather unbelieveable text by Pat Robertson.) But, without exception, none of the people who spread this sort of stuff have read a Harry Potter book, or leafed through the D&D Basic Set.

I mean, why on earth not? The only thing I can think of is that they expect the book to open up a hole to Hell, right there in Barnes&Noble, like the fake Necronomicon in Army of Darkness.

Izunya (Besides, everyone knows the hole to hell is in Unearthed Arcana.)

Posts: 138 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One that really bugs me is the old chestnut about Procter & Gamble financially supporting the Church of Satan, which goes back more than 20 years! It has been denied over and over again! One variation of this UL is that McDonalds also gives to the Church of Satan or uses or once used horsemeat in their hamburgers! These two are also false.

On the relgious UL scene, the one about the hitchhiker who is actually an angel and tells the driver that "Jesus is coming soon," is also wearisome! I've heard that one quite a bit!

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The pop tab one is at my son's school again. Four years ago, when my oldest was at the same school, they did a pop tab collection. I didn't have the Internet back then, but I'd just finished reading Jan Harold Brunvand's book, Too Good to be True. I took the book into the office and asked to speak with the teacher in charge of the drive (it was for a student to get dialysis). She got huffy and copied the pages from the book.

After the drive was finished, the school newsletter said they collected X amount of money from the tabs, "to be donated to the family for gas money to go to the doctors" in the closest major city from here.

I'm tired of that one, and the busiest shopping day of the year. I've forwarded that link many times.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
psykatt
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend and I are constantly arguing about whether or not Walt Disney is cryogenically frozen. He just can't seem to believe he isn't, and nothing can persuade him otherwise!

On a funnier note...when I told him about Snopes he read it and then went around telling everyone that Mr. Ed was a zebra. I let him do that for a while before pointing out that those were hoax pages with fake ULs on them.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 14 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by psykatt:
My boyfriend and I are constantly arguing about whether or not Walt Disney is cryogenically frozen. He just can't seem to believe he isn't, and nothing can persuade him otherwise!

On a funnier note...when I told him about Snopes he read it and then went around telling everyone that Mr. Ed was a zebra. I let him do that for a while before pointing out that those were hoax pages with fake ULs on them.

Althouth this doesn't "prove" anything, you can view Walt's gravesite at find a grave.com

Recently, I have recieved emails that start out with the statement, "I was unable to verify this on Snopes (or others) .com, so it must be true."

However, when I type in snopes.com, I find it within a matter of seconds.

New tactic, I guess?

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When we were kids we used to hear tales of how certain rock groups were evil because they worshipped the devil snd liked this weird dude called Aliester Crowley. Supposedly Crowley was the most evil man who ever existed! I mean, even Crowley claimed this was so and why would he lie about it? So like normal kids we became fascinated with him.

I got books about him. i should have saved my money. Let's just say Crowley seemed to be intelligent and well intended, but overall he was about as scary or revolutionary as gravel.

So another childhood dream went to the dust.

I still do listen to heavy metal though.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izunya:
I've decided to add anti-Harry Potter myths to the list of Things Which Hang My Munchkin.

YOMANK! I have got to use that today! [lol]

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
Welp, both my mother and I have met the boy. . .{edit}

Fair enough.

- P

Not really... Why would you consider Panda Marie (who seems to have changed her mind about tongue piercings fairly recently) a more reliable source than her sister?
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just posted the link to the telemarketers page of Andy Rooney's list because someone on another board swore that by hitting the "hash mark (the # sign) would get you removed from the call list.

"The only way to get them not to call is to register on the "do not call list"..."

I'm sure that'll annoy them.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages