snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Urban Legends you are tired of (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Urban Legends you are tired of
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by mapper:
I live in Charleston, SC, a land full of large birds and very small dogs (often wearing sweaters). I am sick and tired of the hawk-carrying-off-the-small-yippy-dog UL. If it had happened as many times as is claimed here, the swamps would be full of much fatter birds and the neighborhoods would be full of much quieter yards.

I know this is an urban legend.

But I knew a cat to which this had happened (the cat is now dead). The cat had brain damage from the claws and got away from the bird, and was a very tiny kitten at the time of the abduction.

However, I must say I agree that it can't happen very often or we'd see predatory birds hanging out wherever people with pocket pets live.

Seaboe

Actually, there was a discussion here about this that has since disappeared. The consensus was that, although it is rare, it does occasionally happen. It happened here where I live, and had a HUGE write-up in the local paper, with pictures of the wounded chihuahua (The dog was rescued before becoming lunch. The hawk was not as lucky).
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robigus, Mushroom Warning:
Actually, there was a discussion here about this that has since disappeared. The consensus was that, although it is rare, it does occasionally happen.

And I must admit that if it scares even ONE pocket pet owner into getting a REAL animal, it's worth it.

[Wink]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
darkhoody
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 208 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
The general forward this email x number of times and so and so will happen. No it will not work! THe only thing that will change are your number of friends.

Same here, and whats the one of the bonsai cats?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by valandearl19:
What Urban Legends are you sick of hearing?

"We report. You decide." [Big Grin]

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shinshi

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Harry Potter ones are at the top of my list. I mean, do these religious leaders think kids are that incapable of telling the difference between reality and fiction?
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shinshi:
I think the Harry Potter ones are at the top of my list. I mean, do these religious leaders think kids are that incapable of telling the difference between reality and fiction?

Sometimes I think the adult believers aren't all that sharp on picking up the distinction.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shinshi:

You would think so...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My least favorite urban legend is the one about the "welfare queen" with seven kids who makes $100,000 from welfare and a part time job. I debunked this at another website, using real numbers from Connecticut (a state with high welfare benefits) and showed that that woman's part time job pays over $85,000 per year.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused. She made $85k at a part time gig, and was receiving welfare?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he means that in order to reach $100,000, her part-time job would have to net $85,000.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. Here's the post I was referring to. BTW, I misremembered the amount, the welfare queen was supposed to make $90K, not $100K.

quote:
I know of a woman who is on welfare with 7 kids. She also has a time-share condo and works part time. How does she do this? If you add up the benefits she gets it comes to $90,000 per year. Then add on the pay check she does not report and she is getting more money than 90% of working americans. /s/Robert M.

Let's do some figuring here. Connecticut is notorious as a state with one of the highest payouts for welfare, so I'll use the CT figures (which I have handy).

Unemployment assistance maxes at $450/month, AFDC (basic-one parent, one child) is $270/month, each additional child gets $35/month, food stamps for a family of 8 comes to $112/month, assuming one or more child is disabled and on life support at home there's a whopping $22.50/month in "supplementary electrical assistance," and (in winter) fuel oil assistance is $130 per calendar year.

$450 + $270 + $210 ($35 × 6) + $112 + $22.50 = $1,064.50 per month × 12 = $12,774 + $130 = $12,904.

Robert, that must be a great part time job your "friend" has. It pays $77,096 per year.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, crap!!!

I just got hit with the "Every terrorist incident in the past thirty years has been done by Islamic militant males between 18 and 30."

I had forgotten about Aum Shin Rikyo and Tim McVeigh as well as many, MANY others...

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Revolution 9

Those bloody anti-Ismlam, anti-Arab messages are disgusting. Another prominent organisation who have carried out terrorism in the past thirty years are the IRA. Then there's "The Real IRA", another organisation with similar principles. Both are white Catholics and some of their memebers are women. Also there is ETA in Spain, Basque separatists who are not Muslims, and are known to have carried out terrorist attacks in Spain, possibly including the Madrid train bombings.

I don't get too much of the glurge stuff to my email, although I have had some, especially emails of the "pass this on to ten friends and you win a million dollars (even if you translate into British pounds I still don't want it, you seem to be forgetting comrade, I don't like millionares!! [Wink] )/a billionaire will save a dying poor kid with a sack for a body's life (I don't know where to start critising that one! [Roll Eyes] )/the baby Jesus will shine upon you etc etc etc (no thanks mate, I'm an atheist, and if I did have to chose a religion it'd be buddhism, there are good reasons for me not being christian!), I'd say they're my pet hate, along with Nigerian scam type emails, although I do like to string the scammers along with those emails, I use a different address and a completely ridiculous alias and false details to make the guy think I'm genuinely interested in doing business with him, basically to see how far he'll go before he realises I'm taking the piss out of him and seeing how much of a gullible, stupid b*stard he is!! [Big Grin]

Panda_Marie

quote:
Originally posted by inkiemouse:
"Tongue piercings cause death."
"Piercings are dangerous."

And other illogical and ignorant comments.
[Mad]

Coming from someone that is a big fan of piercings and tattooes, there is logic behind these. If you don't take proper care of your piercings or tattooes, they can become very infected, which can lead to death. My old roommate was fairly stupid. She got her tongue pierced and didn't take proper care of it. Shortly after getting it pierced, she took it out (her employer was not happy about the piercing), and the hole closed. After some time, she started feeling really ill, and she had to be rushed to the hospital. A small piece of food lodged itself into the hole, it closed up around it and got infected. The infection traveled through her bloodstream.

Also, I'm pretty sure it can't be healthy to pierce through all the veins that are in your tongue.

Your best bet is to go to a clean, professional place. I know plenty of people that go to the cheapest, shady looking places, and I just don't understand it. Why on EARTH would you take a gamble like that?

skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Communication Attempt:
Everyone I know firmly believes we use only 10% of our brain.Since it's hard to prove wrong not much I can do other than tell them to check out snopes.

I always ask them which part of their brain they don't use.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shurimon:

I also get quite tired of the virus warning-type e-mails. My dad gets them from his friends all the time and believes every one he sees... I need to direct him to Snopes sometime, and continue to assure him that a little common sense and our antivirus program will stop any of the few real ones from getting to us.

I worked in tech support for several years and NEVER once saw a genuine virus warning.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the welfare queen one is my worst too... just because it's really the cruelest one, in its effect.
Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "penny tax on all emails" one yet- it seems that every time someone in my family gets a computer and goes online, I get forwarded the same mistaken missive.

I try to refer them to snopes, but the conversation typically goes like this:

"You really should check out snopes.com"
"How do I do that?"
"You type "www.snopes.com" in the address bar."
"Where's the address bar?"
"Do you see a thin rectangular screen with a lot of text in it?"
"Uh... yes."
"Type snopes.com in that bar."
(sound of very slow typing....)
"O.K., now what?"
"Hit return."
"Uh... I get a message that says something about 404 this site cannot be found."
"You probably misspelled it."
(repeat instructions above)
"Uhhhh is that two w's or three at the beginning? And where is the dot you're talking about?"
"Never mind. Isn't there someone famous on Larry King now?"

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
quote:
Everyone I know firmly believes we use only 10% of our brain.Since it's hard to prove wrong not much I can do other than tell them to check out snopes.

You obviously know the answer of course....

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenny   E-mail Jenny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The ones I always seem to be hearing are:

- Coca Cola was originally green
- The average person swallows two/five/six/eight/twelve spiders in a lifetime/year/picosecond
- Oliver North warned the world about Osama Bin Laden in the early middle ages and no-one listened
- That thing about being able to tell how the rider in an equestrian statue died by the number of legs the horses has on the ground

But the one I'm really sick of is "Bob Holness (a veteran British gameshow host) played saxophone on Gerry Rafferty's hit Baker Street". Which isn't even quoted by people believing it to be true, but rather by people who believe other people believe it to be true. It's a kind of meta-UL - the "urban legend" here is not that Bob Holness played sax on Baker Street. The urban legend is that it's an urban legend, rather than a joke that everyone knows is a joke.

Posts: 67 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 07 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
quote:

Which isn't what the legend says, but why let facts get in the way of a good straw man?

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work with an older lady who ascribes to pretty much any UL that involves us being in Great Danger Every Day. For instance, she believes that AIDS is much easier to contract than "they" (the people in the black helicoptors, perhaps?) are telling us. The agency we work for provides temporary housing for at-risk teenagers, and this lady lives in daily fear that she will pick up some STD or another from casual contact with a resident. Every year a nurse conducts a staff health training and tells us exactly how difficult this would be, but my co-worker has mysterious "other sources" whom she obviously trusts much more than so-called experts.

I am a huge Diet Coke drinker, and this lady also tells me regularly that I'm going to get a brain tumor from all that aspartame. Just last week she told me that it was "definite" and that she'd heard on the radio that very morning. She's a sweet old thing, really, so instead of arguing with her I've gotten in the habit of just saying, "Well, that's pretty big news. I'll be sure to watch the newspapers for that story."

Several years ago I got a warning email that was full details and "quotes" lifted word-for-word from an old article from The Onion about J. K. Rowling turning kids onto witchcraft and satanism. I'm convinced that much of today's Potterphobia--which is still alive and well where I live--can be traced back to that email, which was as evil as it was stupid. Maybe people should have to demonstrate a basic understanding of satire before they are allowed to reproduce. What really gets me boiling is that so many evangelical Christians pass on these lies. I am an evangelical, and I can't imagine why some of my "brethren" don't place a higher value on things like truthfulnes and discernment. (We go to a Baptist church, but in the privacy of our home my husband and I sometimes quote Johnny Depp in Ed Wood: "These Baptists are so stupid, stupid, stupid!")

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 302 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just found the $250 Nieman Marcus Cookie Recipe sitting in my work inbox this morning. I sent the Snopes link to the sender. Gads, is that thing still around? [Eek!]
Thoroughly sick of the Trivia lists too. [Razz]
Also sick of the Pit Bulls have locking jaws UL as well.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Snake

quote:
Originally posted by Revolution 9:
Those bloody anti-Ismlam, anti-Arab messages are disgusting. Another prominent organisation who have carried out terrorism in the past thirty years are the IRA. Then there's "The Real IRA", another organisation with similar principles. Both are white Catholics and some of their memebers are women. Also there is ETA in Spain, Basque separatists who are not Muslims, and are known to have carried out terrorist attacks in Spain, possibly including the Madrid train bombings.

I hear ya there. And I got this email from what I thought was one of my more enlighted buddies. A lot of these guys tend to think that non-muslims may be responsible for terrorism, but that somehow it isn't as bad. Yeah, tell that to the families of victims of Tim McVeigh or Aum Shinrikyo or the IRA...
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The main ones I'm sick of are animal-related.

I am REALLY sick of hearing all the ones about "pit bulls" which make them out to be some type of evil, feral killing machines. Tell that to all the cuddly teddy bears that I have worked with/known forever!
Ones about feeding dogs things to make them "tough" or "mean" drive me nuts because these are usually dangerous things! There used to be a guy in the neighborhood with an American Bulldog named "Chicago" and he bragged to me that he fed his dog gunpowder to make him tough! [Mad]
Myths (such as the one I just mentioned) about things that dogfighters do to train or toughen up their dogs in general. The thing is, these usually start out as urban legends but then the "wanna-be" teens hear about them and start trying them on their dogs...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 302 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was a twist to an old UL that I thought was quite interesting.

The UL that Mikey from Life cereal died from eating pop-rocks. We all know now that was untrue *thanks snopes* (BTW, I've tried it myself, just made me belch a lot) but the new twist told to me by my good friend was that Mikey was actually the-one-and-only snopes.com co-creator Bill Mikkelson! He had no facts to back it up other than that was what he had heard somewhere.

Since my friend had never seen snopes.com before I felt it was my duty to set him straight.

ETA: Heh, heh, I was talking to my co-worker Bill while I wrote that, I meant to say, David Mikkelson

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who's Bill Mikkelson? [Confused]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
Who's Bill Mikkelson? [Confused]

That's one of David's alter egos. [Big Grin]

guru "the three faces of snopes"

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
She got her tongue pierced and didn't take proper care of it. Shortly after getting it pierced, she took it out (her employer was not happy about the piercing), and the hole closed. After some time, she started feeling really ill, and she had to be rushed to the hospital. A small piece of food lodged itself into the hole, it closed up around it and got infected. The infection traveled through her bloodstream.

Granted, I don't know much about tongue piercing but my guess is the infection wasn't from food being closed up in the hole but just a bacterial infection that can happen in any puncture wound. I can't imagine that the body would close up over food but instead would just push it out. I know whenever I get popcorn stuck in between my teeth, the gum actually pulls away from the food and doesn't grow over it. Most food is digested by the saliva and so if it was small enough to get in the tongue it would either swell and push it out or absorb (digest) it. I just don't think the tongue would grow over it.

Roach eggs are another story though. [Wink]

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Geeto67
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geeto67   E-mail Geeto67   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work in the auto industry, Specifically restoring old corvettes (glad I went to law school after but I do miss this job a lot). The three UL's that I am sick of are:

- The corvette with the bad smell because someone died in it.

- The parents of the son who perished in vietnam holding on to his cherished ride forever.

- The rare and valuable muscle car found for super cheap.

The first UL I heard on a daily basis in the corvette hobby when I was still active in it. As a matter of fact one of the previous editors of Vette magazine claimed this happened to him at his father's dealership in 1966 in california. The closest I have come to this legend was a corvette sotred in someone's garage for 20 years and a racoon has passed away in the back seat. The car stunk but the racoon had been there for a good five years, decaying all the while. When removed the interior the car still stunk. I scrubbed and sanded that fibergalss body shell a long time and while the smell did weaken it was always there. Evebntually we cut the car up for parts. The smell and rot had managed to permieate the fiberglass, there was always a hint of it in the background.

The secodn UL was not enterily unheard of when I first got into the old car industry in the early 90's. Personally I have expirenced this phenomenon twice in my life so it did exist at one point. More often than not this is just something someone assumes about a car that has been sitting for a really long time rather than it actually being the case. Since the number of people who's son's went to vietnam grows smaller every year, somehow I doubt more and more these stories, which I still hear about once a month. My last encounter with this was actually 1995 and it was quite rare for even then.

The rare and valuable muscle car found for super cheap, does happen but not as often as people make it out to be. Since price is a relative thing this may just be a lot of people lying to cover up their overpayment. I bought my GTO in 1997 for $3000 which some would consider cheap for the times, but it isn't the COPO 1969 Camaro found for $50 on somebody's farm that I hear get passed around as part of this legend. Nobody gets a musclecar for under a grand these days without being related to the person or inheiting it, Nobody. People who have old cars these days, most knwo the thing is worth something more than a pittance.

Too combine these two myths, Monday night I went to look at another 1967 GTO close to me. It turned out that I knew the previous owner and he had passed away due to a massive heart attack. He actaully died behind the wheel of the car in the hospital parking lot. I went to look at the car through a blind ad and recognized it. The car did smell but that was because the carpets had rotted from water getting in due to bad weatherstripping. The car was being sold for cheap because it had a lot of problems (rust being the operative one)and probably because it has the stigma of the owner passing away in the car. the asking price $2800. If I check up on this car in a few years I'll bet ya this has morphed into the owner died and rotted in the car.

Posts: 163 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to be grody or anything, but if the owner died behind the wheel, the car would certainly smell, as natural processes tend to take their course when you give up the ghost.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My most hated one is the "they can see how much money you have because of the strips" It didn't used to be but it is now since a guy at work that I dislike extremely brought it up the other day. He claims that his wife was stopped by airport security and asked how much money she had on her (about $5000, they were buying a car). I wasn't even part of the conversation but I just couldn't ignore that. He tried to argue with me but when I asked him if he wanted me to prove it, he changed the subject.
I emailed him the snopes link later that day but he's never acknowleged it...

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Geeto67
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geeto67   E-mail Geeto67   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Not to be grody or anything, but if the owner died behind the wheel, the car would certainly smell, as natural processes tend to take their course when you give up the ghost.

I know what you mean but, from how his freind explained it, he pulled into the hospital parking lot, managed to get the door open, and fell out of the car onto the pavement. He was probably actually dead inside the car from maybe about a second. it would certainly take a little longer for "nautral processes" to take their course. it can take upwards of a minute or more for bowel and bladder evacuation depending on how the person is situated. sometimes it happens before the person actually dies, sometimes it happens after.
Posts: 163 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

OK, that explains it. Thanks for posting more than I could possibly want to know! (My fault for bringing it up.)

--------------------

Hug a Revolutionary

I hear the one about the midget clown in the kids' bedroom ALL THE TIME. It ran rampant through my town about a year ago. Ulgh.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages