snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Urban Legends you are tired of (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Urban Legends you are tired of
Rorgg
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rorgg   E-mail Rorgg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
I'm really tired of the "Pepsi hates the Pledge" story. I keep getting this email from the same people, and I keep emailing them the snopes page. They say "oh, I'm glad it's not true", then send me the email again a few months later.

Please please please, somebody buy these people a brain.

Gah, I got that from my Aunt the other day. I did a reply-to-all with the truth, but now I'm probably off the Christmas card list.
Posts: 45 | From: Schaumburg, IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That (insert substance name here--Aspartame, cows' milk, whatever) is the most dangerous stuff on the planet and causes all manner of evil ranging from lupus to world wars.

That rock or rap music is the most dangerous stuff on the planet and causes all manner of evil...well, you get the idea.

ETA: Though I suppose no one has yet suggested that rock causes lupus.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boogers:
That (insert substance name here--Aspartame, cows' milk, whatever) is the most dangerous stuff on the planet and causes all manner of evil ranging from lupus to world wars.

That rock or rap music is the most dangerous stuff on the planet and causes all manner of evil...well, you get the idea.

ETA: Though I suppose no one has yet suggested that rock causes lupus.

Who says that "evil" rock music doesn't cause lupus? Although, it could actually be Aspartame after all that does it. Choose your tinfoil beanie carefully.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, my tinfoil beanie keeps out all those evil rock n' roll rays and therefore allows me to remember the secret location where I store the lifetime supply of aspartame.
Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yea, I hate the one about the munchkin in the Wizard of Oz too. I hear that all the time. It's hard to believe that people still think that's true.

Oh and the bonsai kittens. There's a petition on the internet, trying to stop people from selling bonsai kittens!! :lol

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 06 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SuperGoten:
Yea, I hate the one about the munchkin in the Wizard of Oz too. I hear that all the time. It's hard to believe that people still think that's true.

Oh and the bonsai kittens. There's a petition on the internet, trying to stop people from selling bonsai kittens!! :lol

Bonzai Kittens AND an online petition!
Two birds, one stone.

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Just Me
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least once or twice a year, I get the one saying "If a car is coming at you with it's lights off, don't flash out of courtesy! It's a gang intiation and the people in the car will turn around, follow you then kill you".

[Roll Eyes] [fish]

--------------------
"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." - Willy Wonka

Posts: 388 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
judical
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for judical   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annette:
At least once or twice a year, I get the one saying "If a car is coming at you with it's lights off, don't flash out of courtesy! It's a gang intiation and the people in the car will turn around, follow you then kill you".

[Roll Eyes] [fish]

That's the one I always got into arguments about. I knew a couple of girls in college who swore that this was a common occurrence in their neighborhood. Same with the ankle-slashing one.
Posts: 378 | From: texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Back in highschool my sister and some of her friends actually sat in our liveingroom and tried to find the scene in the movie where this apparently happned. The even claimed to have seen it. And of course when I tried to point out this was a myth I was laughted at and called stupid. Years later I enjoyed sending my sister the snopes link. Man I wish snopes had been around when I was in highschool back in the eighties.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
valandearl19
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
quote:

Back in highschool my sister and some of her friends actually sat in our liveingroom and tried to find the scene in the movie where this apparently happned. The even claimed to have seen it. And of course when I tried to point out this was a myth I was laughted at and called stupid. Years later I enjoyed sending my sister the snopes link. Man I wish snopes had been around when I was in highschool back in the eighties.
Sorry to Hijack my own thread but I would just like to point out that I to was laughed at and called stupid when I told somebody wrestling was fake.

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw a rerun of "Just Shoot Me" about a week ago. They had an oversized flag attached to the side of the highrise building where the magazine's offices were. The owner of the mag tried to adjust one of the support cables, the cable broke, the owner pulled the flag inside his office and...

he had about 6 co-workers (when I turned the channel) helping him keep the flag from touching the floor.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
~snip~ Maybe it's because I'm sorta in an in-between right now, no longer a teenager but not yet a fully responsible and reasonnable adult, ~snip~

Let me know at what age you become a responsible adult, I'm 37 and havent gotten there yet. [Razz]

I hate the safety ones, ankle slasher, lurker in your backseat, crap like that.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gah, I got that from my Aunt the other day. I did a reply-to-all with the truth, but now I'm probably off the Christmas card list.
My aunt used to send me every piece of drivel she received. She sent the one to me (and about 40 other people) about the heroin needles in the ball pits. I came here, did the search and replied to all with the link to the story. She stopped sending me crap.

Those are the ones I'm tired of- child in danger ones. My kids are fine... even the twitchy one.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My least favorite UL that keeps coming back to me (becasue I live with someone who believes it) is the "Three Men and a Baby" ghost. While I got her to stop believing about the ankle slashing gang members and the lady naming her children after dessert treats (Lemonjelo and Oranjelo), she still insists it's a ghost in that movie. Nothing I say convinces her otherwise... [Mad]

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still get the Bill Gates or whatever company you want to put here, will send you something for free just by forwarding an email, in my inbox from time to time. It amazes me that people still believe this one. This has to be one of the most annoying ones.

--------------------

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone I know firmly believes we use only 10% of our brain.Since it's hard to prove wrong not much I can do other than tell them to check out snopes.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

quote:
Originally posted by Communication Attempt:
Everyone I know firmly believes we use only 10% of our brain.Since it's hard to prove wrong not much I can do other than tell them to check out snopes.

I actually heard that on a religious tv broadcast. They claimed that Jesus was the only man who could use 100& of his brain and this is why he could do all those miricles and since we humans according to the porgame onlly are allowed by God to use 10& of our brain we will not be able to those same kinds of things until we are joined with Christ in Heaven. I caught this on TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) while flippiong through the channles several years ago. I want to say it was on their Profecy program but I'm not exactly surewitch one since this was about fifteen years ago but I still remember the comments because they just seemd so odd.

--------------------

Shurimon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shurimon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shurimon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any of the *insert fast-food store here* uses worm meat/cow eyeballs/etc. etc. legends, or someone eating at *insert fast-food store* found *insert digusting substance* in their meal, and the subsequent cries to boycott said store because of it. I not only get these through e-mail, but also see such things posted on message boards I lurk at on a regular basis. It amazes me how readily people will believe these legends and tell people to boycott the place in question, without pausing to wonder why none of these supposive cases caused widespread news coverage and the closing of the store.

Bonsai Kittens are another one that annoy me- thankfully everyone I send the Snopes page to seems to get the hint and doesn't send them again. I even had one guy apologize for sending it to me after seeing the Snopes page.

I also get quite tired of the virus warning-type e-mails. My dad gets them from his friends all the time and believes every one he sees... I need to direct him to Snopes sometime, and continue to assure him that a little common sense and our antivirus program will stop any of the few real ones from getting to us.

(Edited to fix a spelling mistake.)

--------------------
"Oh, coulda-shoulda-Prada, honey!" ~Karen, "Will & Grace"
Head of Hufflepuff at Platform 9 3/4. PNTQ- The One For You!

Posts: 112 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
just Lisa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't stand the 1 pull tab = 1 minute of dialysis one. It gets false hopes up for people in a desperate situation.

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot say there is any specific one I hate more then aother (although if there is one it wuold be a glurge) but I hate that if somebody says a UL, and I prove them wrong, I'M the dumb one.

Either that or they say stuff like "well why should we trust this "snopes"" to which I reply with they have citations, and get back "well why should we just trust these citations?".

So to these people a website that has a full explanatin, a brief history, and a list of citations regarding a UL is not quite as reliable as their coworkers wife's hairdresser...

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annette:

[Roll Eyes] [fish]

I live out in the very definition of "The Sticks"; woods all around, nearest town a mile away, my apartment complex has no visible neighbors, bear and deer eating out of my garden, etc. I still hear this once in a while, prompting me to ask, "What gangs? Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings? WE LIVE IN THE BOONIES! THERE ARE NO GANGS!" [flame]

So yeah, this one is my answer too. [Razz]

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shurimon:
Any of the *insert fast-food store here* uses worm meat/cow eyeballs/etc. etc. legends, or someone eating at *insert fast-food store* found *insert digusting substance* in their meal, and the subsequent cries to boycott said store because of it.

Reminds me of something I'm still unhappy about. A couple of years ago, back when I was at a co-ed school, our class' debating team read their speeches out to us as practice. Very boring to sit through. Not that I have anything against it, just that the speeches weren't very good. [Smile]
Anyway, the topic was that 'McDonalds is bad.' Yeah, just that.

Their 2nd speaker was reading her speech. It was dead quiet, and then she reads out: "Also, McDonalds is the only fast food outlet who still uses earthworms in their food. Scientists have analyzed their meats and found out that their chicken and beef are pure worm."

Knowing Snopes, I immediatley yelled out that there is no such thing and got sent to the Principal's office. [Roll Eyes]

They lost the debate. Probably because she still kept the earthworm bit in there.

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shurimon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shurimon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shurimon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Also, McDonalds is the only fast food outlet who still uses earthworms in their food. Scientists have analyzed their meats and found out that their chicken and beef are pure worm."
Wow... no small wonder they lost the debate. I gather that these people didn't cite any sources? I also love how there's a "still" in there. So... it was once common practice to put earthworm meat in hamburgers, I gather? [Big Grin] I've come to say "It's earthworms? Mmm, earthworms taste good..." to anybody who feeds me that baloney.

Thought of another UL that irks me- any time somebody makes a claim that Harry Potter is leading kids to paganism/Satanism. Especially when they thereafter cite the article from The Onion as "proof."

--------------------

Posts: 112 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

One I'm tired of hearing is people blameing the full moon on crazy behavior. My wife is one of those who believs this one. Her responce when I tell her it is a myth and give her the evidence to prove it is to say, " work on the phones and then try and call it a myth. She argues that since all of her co workers think it is true than it must be fact. Witch of course we all know just because a bunch of people think something is true than it must be. Despite the scientific evidence to the contrary.

--------------------

Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ones my parents and/or siblings refuse to let go of:

-Coriolis effect on toilets, sinks, drains
-Aspertame is toxic
-George W. Bush is a good president.
-Daddy Longlegs are world's most poisonous spider

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything that claims your email program can do something it can't do - like report back to Bill Gates how many people you forwarded the email to, or open up a "cute/fun little program" after you forward it to 10 people. (I always wonder, how does the sender of the email know what happens next if they're just writing the email to me now?)

I'm just amazed that people haven't figured out by now that THIS DOES NOT WORK.

Also, more along the lines of "stark raving mad" more than just "tired of," I am sick of the email glurges that remind us that Jesus is not ashamed of us, so we should not be ashamed of him. Way to misquote the Bible.

Eve "I'm not ashamed of Jesus, I'm ashamed of the people who send me email." MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The one that bugs me is the one about the USA being founded on "Christian Principles".

Whenever I start getting my teeth into a debate on religious tolerances or gay rights, this "fact" usually pops up to support whatever outrageous claims are being made (gay marriage will destroy family values!).

Religious freedom does not = All Christian, All The Time.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This doesn't really apply to any specific UL, but I get tired of my mom's theories that every white women who disappears has been kidnapped and sold as a sex-slave. Elizabeth Smart, Chandra Levy, the runaway bride, etc...

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roxi of Simple Delight
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 506 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:

-George W. Bush is a good president.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who considers that one an urban legend...

The one that I really hate the most is the one about the woman in the casino/hotel elevator who hears a black man say "Hit the floor," and so she drops to the ground. The worst part about this legend is that the black man almost always turns out to be Will Smith, and then he brings her flowers or something like this. I had a hall teacher at my boarding school a couple of years ago who swore that this event actually happened to her sister, and took any opportunity to talk about it. Eventually one of the other teachers, also an avid reader of snopes, informed her that perhaps it wasn't appropriate to be telling raciest urban legeneds in the dorm.

I also can't tolerate any urban legends having to do with Elvis. I'm not sure why; there's just something about them that rubs me the wrong way...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shurimon

quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG:
Anything that claims your email program can do something it can't do - like report back to Bill Gates how many people you forwarded the email to, or open up a "cute/fun little program" after you forward it to 10 people. (I always wonder, how does the sender of the email know what happens next if they're just writing the email to me now?)

I'm just amazed that people haven't figured out by now that THIS DOES NOT WORK.

I used to get those from my older brothers all the time. It took them several years of college education and working with computers before they finally realized that such things are impossible. [dunce]

~Shuri "I wish I really COULD get paid to send annoying e-mails" mon

--------------------

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shurimon:
Any of the *insert fast-food store here* uses worm meat/cow eyeballs/etc. etc. legends, or someone eating at *insert fast-food store* found *insert digusting substance* in their meal, and the subsequent cries to boycott said store because of it.
(Edited to fix a spelling mistake.)

In particular, the one about semen in the mayonnaise from outlet x, y or z. And how some girl had to get rushed to hospital to get their stomach pumped because they swallowed some semen. My (admittedly) inexhaustive research indicates that few women display such a violent reaction to what is after all, a relatively commonplace thing to swallow.*

But that's a very difficult objection to phrase in a work environment. [Big Grin]

On top of which, I've worked in a McDonald's, and if you can get your chap into the dispenser they put the mayonnaise in, you deserve my respect. And also pity.

*It's just occurred to me that someone is going to quote my first paragraph, and post something like "I bet you say that to all the girls." Well, now you can't. And I'm glad.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shurimon

quote:
And how some girl had to get rushed to hospital to get their stomach pumped because they swallowed some semen.
Those little embellishments particularly annoy me. Stopping to think about these little details should give common sense some time to work its magic... [Razz]

quote:
On top of which, I've worked in a McDonald's, and if you can get your chap into the dispenser they put the mayonnaise in, you deserve my respect. And also pity.
What shape are the dispensers in, out of curiosity?

--------------------

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of an X-shaped spiral, if that doesn't sound too contradictory. Kind of a screw, but with 4 spikes that, I imagine, seal the whole thing. It's a click, then a twist to make it airtight.

Suffice to say, I would neither be able nor would I want to introduce my special places to it!

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mapper:
I live in Charleston, SC, a land full of large birds and very small dogs (often wearing sweaters). I am sick and tired of the hawk-carrying-off-the-small-yippy-dog UL. If it had happened as many times as is claimed here, the swamps would be full of much fatter birds and the neighborhoods would be full of much quieter yards.

I know this is an urban legend.

But I knew a cat to which this had happened (the cat is now dead). The cat had brain damage from the claws and got away from the bird, and was a very tiny kitten at the time of the abduction.

However, I must say I agree that it can't happen very often or we'd see predatory birds hanging out wherever people with pocket pets live.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shurimon

quote:
Originally posted by Dara:
Sort of an X-shaped spiral, if that doesn't sound too contradictory. Kind of a screw, but with 4 spikes that, I imagine, seal the whole thing. It's a click, then a twist to make it airtight.

Suffice to say, I would neither be able nor would I want to introduce my special places to it!

Indeed! [Eek!] Of course, knowledge of this wouldn't stop the rumours... or at least they'd shift to HIV blood in the ketchup. [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages