snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Urban Legends you are tired of (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Urban Legends you are tired of
valandearl19
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What Urban Legends are you sick of hearing? For me it would half to be the myth that there is a midget hanging himself in "The Wizard of Oz". What is worse is that this legend has acctually mutated to involve the belief that the midget was digitaly removed for the DVD and replaced with the crane spreading it's wings

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait! Are you really saying that the hanging munchkin hangs your munchkin?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We need to introduce you to Jenn. [Wink]

For me it is the duck's quack not echoing.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bonzi Kittens, I still get friends and relitives who email me about those.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so tired of hearing about cell phones at the gas pump. I cannot tell you how many people I have referred to snopes but still, I hear about it all the time.....

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really tired of the "Pepsi hates the Pledge" story. I keep getting this email from the same people, and I keep emailing them the snopes page. They say "oh, I'm glad it's not true", then send me the email again a few months later.

Please please please, somebody buy these people a brain.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it wrong that I once emailed back someone who emailed me the atrocity of the bonsai kitten, and told them I wanted one?

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mitochondrial Steve
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mitochondrial Steve   E-mail Mitochondrial Steve   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All the glurgy and/or racist open letters attributed to various famous personalities. The one supposedly written by Andy Roony is especially irritating.

--------------------
"America can, should, must and will blow up the moon."

Posts: 392 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The general forward this email x number of times and so and so will happen. No it will not work! THe only thing that will change are your number of friends.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Diddy. They've kinda dried up for me, but my mother still gets loads (which I have to deal with when I go home).

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
amylou2230

quote:
Originally posted by The Recyclable mrs.hi-c:
Is it wrong that I once emailed back someone who emailed me the atrocity of the bonsai kitten, and told them I wanted one?

That's the sort of thing I do, either they get the joke or they're stupid. And if they're that dumb, I'd rather they think I'm insance so they'll stop sending me stupid emails.
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, being the "authority" in my office on whether or not the latest forward me to everyone e-mail is real, I get a lot of the same garbage over and over. I have Snopes or speed dial [lol]

I think the ones that irritates me the most are the Phishing schemes.

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
polyglotmom

Mine is the belief that a cat will jump into your baby's crib and suck its breath out. TOTALLY NOT TRUE! My cat first avoided the baby like she was afraid of him, then became his best buddy. I think that's just some type of crap spread by militant cat-haters.
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At quarters last week (our weekly business meeting), I had to leap to my feet to offer the entire unit to the Altar of Snopes, as we were having a safety lecture, and the instructor informed us all that everybody in the world eats eight spiders a year while they are asleep.

I could NOT believe my ears!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by polyglotmom:
Mine is the belief that a cat will jump into your baby's crib and suck its breath out. TOTALLY NOT TRUE! My cat first avoided the baby like she was afraid of him, then became his best buddy. I think that's just some type of crap spread by militant cat-haters.

HIJACK~
Actually the problem is that the cat smells the milk on the baby's mouth and can smother him/her in the process of licking it off.

TMI

TMI

TMI
My cats on the other hand had more fun attacking my leaking breasts(milk) when I was sleeping.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boss likes to quote glurgy "inspirational" emails at our office meetings and pass them off as true stories. Fortunately I miss most of the meetings because of school. She's not the type who likes to hear that something she said was actually wrong...

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notacoolname

I don't like any forwarded anything- but the Nigerian Scam and the phishing scams have a special place in my ****
and I think glurge is just too funny- not the appropriate reaction I'm sure

catmom

I have blocked email from people who insist on forwarding every idiotic "lucky" email or ridiculous warning, and anything with fwd fwd fwd in the subject line. I have explained why and how to copy and paste,and still they persist. I guess this explains the last presidential election.
catmom

I have blocked email from people who insist on forwarding every idiotic "lucky" email or ridiculous warning, and anything with fwd fwd fwd in the subject line. I have explained why and how to copy and paste,and still they persist. I guess this explains the last presidential election.
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmom:
I have blocked email from people who insist on forwarding every idiotic "lucky" email or ridiculous warning, and anything with fwd fwd fwd in the subject line.

I would do that, but some of the stuff my boss sends me is actually work related.

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
quote:
Originally posted by catmom:
I have blocked email from people who insist on forwarding every idiotic "lucky" email or ridiculous warning, and anything with fwd fwd fwd in the subject line.

I would do that, but some of the stuff my boss sends me is actually work related.
[lol]

I had a cow-orker once who insisted on forwarding me "thought of the day" emails, which usually ended up being glurge of the non-religious variety. It took me a while, but I finally managed to create a a filter that would automatically delete those while still letting the legit messages through.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 06 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Tongue piercings cause death."
"Piercings are dangerous."

And other illogical and ignorant comments.
[Mad]

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personnally, it's the various "the new generation is doomed!" variants, particularly the colored bracelets story. Maybe it's because I'm sorta in an in-between right now, no longer a teenager but not yet a fully responsible and reasonnable adult, but I can see both sides: how some aspects of the teenage life seem damning to me, and how I fully remember how much adults' perception of my generation when we were teens was misguided.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has to be all those virus ones (It Takes Guts to Say Jesus, Badtimes, etc.)

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HYHYBT

quote:
quote:
I have blocked email from people who insist on forwarding every idiotic "lucky" email or ridiculous warning...
I use the "bounce to sender" button. Sure, I still see it, but not more than a couple of times before they get the idea. The only exception, and therefore the one I'm tired of, is the one about banning religious programming. Every time it goes around, the same person sends it to me asking if it's true.

EDIT: On the "Wizard of Oz" one, I wish someone would insist that at me. I taped it off the TV in 1984, before it could have been convincingly digitally modified, and still have the tape somewhere.

GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Both the following:

Cat sucks baby's breath because is smells milk / or because cats are witches companions and have been ordered to retrieve the baby's soul

and

If left alone with a child, a dog will eat it.

Both of these are my future mother-in-laws insane ramblings. She is 100% of the Preaching-Evangelist-Southern-Baptist-Type that believes 99% of urban legends, but has personally quoted me the two above on several occasions.

Bonsai Kitten, Save Toby, and any other "OH the poor animal/s" type websites. I'm with Mrs. Hi-C, I always say I want one, or in the case of save Toby "When is he gonna shoot the damn thing, I'll pencil it into my schedule?"

Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "we use only 10% of our brains" UL.

The bad-stuff-in-Halloween-candy UL.

The "D&D causes murder/suicides/Satanic activity" UL (heck, any "Satanic panic" UL's, period).

Most glurge, especially when told by my pastor during a sermon.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about the "my kid will get abducted if I let him play outside" UL?

There are scores of parents that let their kid rot away in front of the TV and/or Game Device(tm) for fear of the remote chance of being abducted if they play at the neighborhood park. How many kids really get abducted every year (I'm talking about random abductions, not family/custody related ones, etc)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the danger isn't there -- I just think people are crippling their kids in the name of "safety". Out with the pick-up games of ball at the park, in with the "organized leagues" and trips to group sports practice. Out with creating a fort in the trees of the vacant lot, in with yet another mindless video game. Out with running down the street to play at your friend's house, in with the "play date". Out with the creativity and freedom that comes with tons of unstructured free time. In with a structured, scheduled, planned-by-adults life starting at birth and ending at adulthood...

(OK, I'm done ranting now).

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BizzarroBuffy
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BizzarroBuffy   E-mail BizzarroBuffy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought the one about cats sucking the baby's breath was a way to explain why the child was DUMB without it being a reflection on the parents!!
Posts: 31 | From: Bizzarro Ontario Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeuroKev
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 02 posted      Profile for NeuroKev   E-mail NeuroKev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie in the Elevator:
I am so tired of hearing about cell phones at the gas pump. I cannot tell you how many people I have referred to snopes but still, I hear about it all the time.....

[Roll Eyes]

EDIT: to add my reply which disappeared. I agree with the above. However, the gas stations in my area have this posted on warning signs at the pumps. I even witnessed one person yelling at another for using a cell phone while pumping gas.

Posts: 73 | From: Bradenton, Florida | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting tired of the McDonalds is the worlds largest importer of worm meat story. I've asked people who tell me this one where they think McDonalds gets this worm meat from and funny thing is they can't come up with an answer at witch time I direct them to the snopes site. Another food related one I'm getting tired of is the eating turkey causes drowsyness. Actaully had a big argument at Thanksgiving last year with my soon to be brother in law about this one. Despite the facts I gave him he still insisted on believeing it until I sent him the snopes page. After I sent him and my sister that page I have not heard a word avbout it since.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kelfa21
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelfa21   E-mail Kelfa21   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm gonna have to go with the Wizard of Oz UL...I can't even begin to tell you how many arguments I've gotten in with people about this story...there is no conspiracy...its just a huge bird

When we were in between shows at the middle school I coreographed for during performance day...the teachers would play The Wizard of Oz for the kids...all of them would beg me to pause it at the moment the "munckin was hung"...fortunatly the TV was large and I was able to prove the kids otherwise...boy were they disapointed...lol

--------------------
If God was a college student he would not have created the world in seven days. He would have slacked off for six and then pulled an all-nighter

Posts: 30 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think all of the malinformation surrounding Stella Liebeck's suit against McDonalds is what I am most tired of.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mapper

I live in Charleston, SC, a land full of large birds and very small dogs (often wearing sweaters). I am sick and tired of the hawk-carrying-off-the-small-yippy-dog UL. If it had happened as many times as is claimed here, the swamps would be full of much fatter birds and the neighborhoods would be full of much quieter yards.
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Tax breaks for immigrants

Locally it's the Vietnamese shrimp boat owners who benefit from this one. Supposedly, every Vietnamese shrimp boat gets sold every seventh year to another Vietnamese shrimper, so as to keep the tax benefit going indefinitely.

I've been married for almost 20 years, and every time I visit my father-in-law, he rants about the Vietnamese fishermen.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages