snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Unfortunate baby names (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Unfortunate baby names
Ladycrissdean
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladycrissdean     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which just goes to show that there really should be a test to take before namming a child. My parents while giving us very good names kinda missed the bus when they named my little brother...

His name is Brian.

Which is a very good name until you know what my older brother's name is.

His name is Ryan.

Needless to say we grew up saying Ryan Corey and Brian Michael.

Speaking of unusual names...

My maiden name is Coke.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Posts: 138 | From: Lawrence, Kansas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any relation to this Coke?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ladycrissdean

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladycrissdean     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seaboe -
Yes as a matter of fact. Other notable family history includes sending Alexander Hamilton to college.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Posts: 138 | From: Lawrence, Kansas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard something on the radio about a family whose last name translated to "Hotass", but I'm not sure what their real last name was or what language it was in.

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tuff_gong
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tuff_gong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My great uncle's last name was Woleben. His parents named him Nebelow. Think about it.
A friend of mine came from a decout Catholic family.
4 Sons:
Matthew
Mark
Luke
and Bill Junior

--------------------
"Cops Nab Co-eds in Pot Orgy"

Posts: 18 | From: Springdale, AR | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The name may already have been mentioned but it is a fresh sighting of it at least. My mother met a Jenny Taylor on a course this week. Apparently she told the group that her name had been hugely embarrasing when she was a child, and that it meant something "explicit", but when she told them nobody got it. So she had to whisper to them... When my mother told me the womans name I staryed laughing immediately, I must have been spending too much time in this thread.

After a life time of being called genitalia you wouldn't expect someone to be so coy.

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not unfortunate, but I was at a graduation the other night & there were 3 boys, out of 80 kids graduating, that were named Sebastian. I don't think I knew 1 Sebastian my whole public school career.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoWoman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At work, I received a death notice of an employee's family member with the first name of Foreplay.

Sometimes I wonder...

Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Decemba.

Traiton.

Brittnnee.

Rickkii.

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Utah Baby Namer

Boys: Admanzah, Antrim Zeezrom, Berniece, Boylynn, Davenport Shore, DeLaVerne, Denim Levi, El Myrrh, Friends Forsaken, Golden P., Helamans Warrior, Hummingbird, Justan Tru, Knight Train, Marvelous Man, Messiah Angel ...

Girls: Abcde, Alva Aluna, Apathy, Aquanetta, Arloween, Baxteen, Beefea, Bet'C, Blessing Ream, Blondeen, Cajun Rayne, Casualeen, Celestial and Celestial Dawn and Celestial Glory and Celestial Starr, Cherokee, Chinchilla Zest, Christmas Contada, Christmas Holiday, Confederate America, Daughny, Denverly Dawn, Desdedididawn, DuWhitVandeeOn, Hallah Lujah, Heavenly Melanie, Hereditary ...

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Polyeth12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polyeth12     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notorious fluffy g:
abcde lynn's music is the ABC song, does that give it away as a joke?

I think its supposed to be Twinkle Twinkle Little Star...I changed the last number in the url and got legitimate looking pages with other babies. After looking at baby name message boards, I'm not suprised that Abcde could actually be used by someone...its probably just a matter of time before someone uses Shi'thead or any of the others that seem to be safely in the realm of UL's for now.
Anyway, I work as a church secretary and have seen some "interesting" names. My favorites:
-Jermaine Jackson (he was born in the 70's so he probably was named after "the" Jermaine Jackson)
-Catcher Cruise (a baby girl Cruise is her middle name) and her brother Ford Franticek
-Whyman (first name)
and a married couple named Bart and Lisa (unfortunately, their last name isn't Simpson)

Posts: 33 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to college with a guy named Richard Lick - think about that and realize what a terrible choice that was.
Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well my mom knew a student of hers who was named Inertia.

I guess she just thought it sounded cool. He last name was Such. When called by name last name first it became Such, Inertia.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and my one friend was a Star Wars geek and named his daughter Vada (after Vade, apparently) There's plenty of terrible female names to choose from in that universe, but some are prety good. Not sure why it had to be that one.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Paisley.

Daysha Leatherwood. (Is she an elf?)

Zeppelin

Sulathia

Meliton (there are three generations of Melitons!)

Cappy Maatsch

Timothy Timmerson (That one made me giggle)

--NewZer0

--------------------

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dareyawes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dareyawes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A family I know named all their boys after animals and all their girls after geographical/weather features.

Eagle, Wolf, Otter, etc & River, Glade, Breeze, Rainy, etc.

I guess it gets difficult after a dozen kids to come up with names that fit the criteria and still sound somewhat normal. We'd give 'em hell joking that "Seabass" and "Watershed" were next on the list.

Posts: 152 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParrotLady1978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParrotLady1978   E-mail ParrotLady1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get comments on my name all the time, the most often-heard one being "That's unusual!" So of course I had to name my daughters unusual names as well.

Me: Aislinn (pronounced AYS-lin) Sabrina
Oldest daughter: Phoenix Rose (no, she wasn't conceived or born in AZ, nor have we even been there)
Youngest daughter: Alhana (pronounced uh-LA-nuh or Alanna, name came from an Elven princess in the Dragonlance series) Rileigh

My first name and my youngest daughter's names are all Irish, though the "correct" pronounciation of mine is ASH-leen.

Parrot "my mom's name is Mary Joy, so of course she had to go weird with mine" Lady

Posts: 4 | From: Marietta, GA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've known a Daysha. She told me that it means "First Born Daughter" in some Native American language. If that's the case, then Leatherwood as a last name isn't that unusual.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NewZer0:
Last month, I had a waitress named "Ofelia." With the "f," not a "ph." It's a lovely name, but still, to grow up with that...

--NewZer0

That's the way you write it in Spanish (Ofelia). It's not really common, but not rare at all.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Witch:
I've known a Daysha. She told me that it means "First Born Daughter" in some Native American language. If that's the case, then Leatherwood as a last name isn't that unusual.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I think this particular person was black, but who knows. I think Daysha is kind of a cool name, but I couldn't help thinking the entire thing sounded like she'd stepped out of a fantasy novel.

--NewZer0

--------------------

Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of "my kids" (ok, one of the neighbourhood kids... at least for the summer) is named Daysha. I didn't think it was all that odd. She is also black but I know nothing about the history of the name. She's staying with the P family... I think that's a lot stranger. The P kids names are (forgive any mispelling) Peter, Peire, Peatrice, Patrice and Patricia. Trust me I thanked all the powers that may be that the family brought a Daysha into the mix... at least I can remember that name. Ok I can, perhaps, understand wanting to name a kid after yourself (although I didn't do it) but it can get confusing after a while. (I'm also glad the father's name wasn't Richard.)

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My orthodontist(sp? and too lazy to check) was Charlie Brown, I know of a Dr. Nurse, a gyno, Dr. Pap, and dentist Dr. Pus. A FOF named their child Brock, last name Calli, and my surname....Freiburger (pronounced fryburger) also just as amusingly mispronounced freeburger

--------------------
"she chose the next moment to demonstrate her talent, very rare, for projectile vomiting while spinning" Bill Richardson about his new white bedspread

Posts: 19 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a politician running for office in this area named Joe Nation.

I have to wonder whether that was the name he was born with or if he changed it when he went into politics.

(If he has a son, I hope he didn't name him 'Juan')

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Jammie.

Pebbles Johns.

--NewZer0

--------------------

Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just met a Mr Monga-Mandi Muli.

Nothing to add to that really...

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one's NFBSK. Chase Seamann.

Folks, if you're going to name your child Chase, please make sure your last name is not a noun or a homonym for any noun.

Thank you

Edited to add: Cole Burns. At this point I'd like to add that if your last name is a verb, please avoid nouns or noun homonyms as first names.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just learned that my friend has a coworker named Clitoria.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of a girl named Genitalia. [Eek!]

Edited to capitalize.

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gabi:
My orthodontist(sp? and too lazy to check) was Charlie Brown, I know of a Dr. Nurse, a gyno, Dr. Pap, and dentist Dr. Pus. A FOF named their child Brock, last name Calli, and my surname....Freiburger (pronounced fryburger) also just as amusingly mispronounced freeburger

A freind of mine used to work for an OBGYN Practice. The Doctors names were Dr. Weiner and Dr. Dicker.
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend worked for an OBGYN named Dr. Bush.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyte:
This one's NFBSK. Chase Seamann.

Folks, if you're going to name your child Chase, please make sure your last name is not a noun or a homonym for any noun.

Thank you

Edited to add: Cole Burns. At this point I'd like to add that if your last name is a verb, please avoid nouns or noun homonyms as first names.

One of the little boys in DD's tee-ball league is named Chase Hyman. When they announced his name at the championship game, all I could think of were the jokes he's going to get in about 10 years (he's 5 or 6).

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read an article in the Eugene Register Guard (Eugene, Oregon) about two Star Wars fans who had the last name 'Walker'. When their son was born, they named him Luke Sky ... making him Luke Sky Walker. If they had a daughter in the future, they were considering the name 'Leia Skye'. (I suppose that would be better than Leia Organa.)

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My BIL girfriend said she wanted to name their kid fellatio- she didn't know what it was

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

I came across an application today -- the woman had four children. Two of those children were named Sean. One was male, the other female. They had the same last name and middle initial (though thankfully different middle names). They were born three years apart.

They were apparently named for their daddy, also Sean.

Yikes!

--NewZer0

--------------------

wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NewZer0:
I came across an application today -- the woman had four children. Two of those children were named Sean. One was male, the other female. They had the same last name and middle initial (though thankfully different middle names). They were born three years apart.

They were apparently named for their daddy, also Sean.

Yikes!

--NewZer0

I suspect, although I can't prove it that this is simply a case of someone being unable to spell, I expect her children are actually supposed to be Sean & Sian.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages