snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Unfortunate baby names (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Unfortunate baby names
L
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 218 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

My mom had an uncle named "Maurice." It was pronounced "Morris."

Which to me (an Englishman) is exactly how I'd assume the name to be pronounced.
Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L:
quote:

Which to me (an Englishman) is exactly how I'd assume the name to be pronounced.
In the US, it's generally pronounced more-EESS, rather like the French pronunciation. If it weren't for my mom's uncle, I would never have thought of them as the same name. I didn't realize it was pronounced differently in England.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SO has this friend who named his son Zultan.

Oddest one I've ever heard in RL.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Something:
I worked with a guy named King Lear. Same place, same time frame, we had a King Hunt. Till then, I hadn't met anyone named King, and here I was with two of them.

I knew a guy who's first name was Lear. Turns out his mother's maiden name was O'Leary.

Wingéd "but I've never met the King" Bear

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by L:
quote:

In the US, it's generally pronounced more-EESS, rather like the French pronunciation. If it weren't for my mom's uncle, I would never have thought of them as the same name. I didn't realize it was pronounced differently in England.
Now that's really weird. I just had the exact opposite experience this summer.

I had a client whose name was spelled "Maurice" but was pronounced "Morris." When my husband, who is from Bedfordshire in England, saw his name on my calendar and said (spelled phonetically), "[Moe-reese]? What kind of farmer is named [Moe-reese]?"

I told him it was pronounced "Morris" sometimes. He replied, "Not in England, it isn't.

Regional thing I suppose?

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly, I'm a northerner.
Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 2ys4u:
SO has this friend who named his son Zultan.

Oddest one I've ever heard in RL.

Zoltan is a common name in Hungarian.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loyhargil:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by L:
quote:

Now that's really weird. I just had the exact opposite experience this summer.

I had a client whose name was spelled "Maurice" but was pronounced "Morris." When my husband, who is from Bedfordshire in England, saw his name on my calendar and said (spelled phonetically), "[Moe-reese]? What kind of farmer is named [Moe-reese]?"

I told him it was pronounced "Morris" sometimes. He replied, "Not in England, it isn't.

Regional thing I suppose?

I grew up thinking that it was pronounced the second way. It wasn't until I heard a British pronunciation of the name that I heard it as "Morris."

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ange84:
...my mum always wanted to call her son Sioux (prnouced Sue)My dad vetoed that one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably a good idea. I am glad at least one of your parents pays attention to the wisdom of Shel Silverstein and Johnny Cash.

I didn't even know it was from a song. I never knew where she got it from, i always thought her first finacee had a native american thing or something, because orginally it was her and her first fiancee that came up with it. Now i know there was some method to her madness.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maurice Gibb (from the BEE GEE's) was pronounced Morris. I thought it was odd, or an Australian thing when I heard it.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kashmiere, FOR A BOY!

And yes, I saw it on Dr. Phil. The woman named her other son Alex. How's that for fair?

ETA
Dr. Wax - an ENT who works in Dr. Flaming's office - my DH saw Dr. Flaming.

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tilly
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tilly   E-mail Tilly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother swears she had a friend name Tess who started going by Teresa after she became engage to a man named Dave Tickle.
Posts: 3 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't believe it when I saw the name Toe-Knee today.

Wingéd "I hope her parents were podiatrists" Bear

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bounder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bounder     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My great grandfather was named Orange John. He thusly named one of his sons John Orange. It was a traditiion that the first and middle names were switched at the birth of the first male in each succeeding generation. Fortunately, John Orange's son was named Dick.

Also, we had neighbors by the name of Hollister. When cleaning out their house after the spinster daughter passed on, we found court papers from the early 1900s which showed they had changed their name from Hollipeter to Hollister.

Finally, I went to school with twins by the name of Jerry & Terry Hickey. They also had sisters by the name of Pam and Renee Hickey. What a name to have to live by.

Posts: 15 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stoolie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoolie         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tilly:
My mother swears she had a friend name Tess who started going by Teresa after she became engage to a man named Dave Tickle.

Yep - she live(ed?)s in Christchurch, and now goes by the gaudy Tessa.

I know a chap who is straight, but is called Guy Ryder.

And a Richard (Dick) Stretch - he goes by his middle name Mark...

The there are the usernames that get assigned.

I had a Paula Wilcox, who ended up with the unfortunate WILCOXP.

Posts: 18 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My aunt told me about someone she knew by the last name of "Hollerpeter" (similar to "Hollipeter" maybe)

I wonder if it's a common name in a particular country. Judging by the area of Michigan she's from, I'd guess Dutch.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 217 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A favorite from a few years back:

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=iol1096721177237A551

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder if it's a common name in a particular country. Judging by the area of Michigan she's from, I'd guess Dutch.
Not very common in Holland I think... I never heard of anyone named Hollerpeter.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Angua:
quote:
Not very common in Holland I think... I never heard of anyone named Hollerpeter.
Probably German, but certainly not common. Peter Höller?
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kafroggy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kafroggy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to Urhines, if you change the last numbers of the url you do get different kids pics and names so it looks very legit. People should have to be trained in child care and buy a license before they can procreate! Poor baby!

--------------------
So much to sew...so little time; Oh well, I guess I'll just play ANOTHER game of Freecell!

Posts: 8 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notorious fluffy g
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notorious fluffy g   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/ very good website, don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but i'm currently too lazy to check back.

ps- newest baby i've run across- a girl named JahnJay, or something. pronounced john-jay.

--------------------
"Reading and writing, arithmetic and grammar do not constitute education, any more than a knife, fork and spoon constitute a dinner."

* Sir John Lubbock

Posts: 76 | From: Clarksburg, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CindyB

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CindyB     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother's FIL is named Jack Frost. His wife is named Diane, so you would think it's cute, "Jack & Diane" (John Mellencamp song). But it gets better.

Instead of "Diane", she goes by "Dee". Get it? Dee Frost.

No kidding. I've known these folks for years.

Posts: 1 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a teacher named Angel Barbee. I'm pretty sure there has been a doll by that name at some point.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard Nixon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Richard Nixon   E-mail Richard Nixon       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ronald:
Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K

I don't get it.
Posts: 92 | From: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've encountered a Happiness today.
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My great-grandmother's given name was Virginia Furlow. She was named Furlow because she was concieved while her father was on furlough during the Civil War. I'm sure her father thought it was funny but my mother said that great-grandma wasn't happy about it. Great-grandfather must have liked the name though because although he refered to her as Ginnie when he wrote to his sister the letters he wrote to his wife started "My Dearest Furlie".
Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Did Lee Squat?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Did Lee Squat?   E-mail Did Lee Squat?   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom's cousin married a guy with the last name Mouse. They ended up naming their kid Minnie, because it was a family name on my mom's cousin side, and also her mother insisted on on it. That poor kid.

--------------------
"Did you ever look at a dollar bill, man? There's some spooky sh*t going on there...and it's green too."

Posts: 12 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend's cousin (who we suspect is trying to win a "Whose kids have the most ghetto names" contest) has a toddler named Courvasier and a baby named Cash-Monet. All I can do is shake my head.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She's probably winning that contest. If I wanted to come up with a name for use in a parody film of some sort, I couldn't do better than those two.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Nixon:
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ronald:
Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K

I don't get it.
Boy, after a year, I had to remember myself! Let's see...snopes posted a comment and a link about the veracity of a child named Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K . Someone asked what the last name was - and was asked "Did it matter?" Someone else then asked, "What was the first name?" and I, missing the snarkiness of the comment, answered. I assumed the questioner couldn't open the link and I tried to be helpful. Thus, my original post on this thread. Hope that helps!

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, this is not a baby name, but a family one. It seems that Leiah LUST is running for office in the county south of me.

So I see all these signs that say, "Elect LUST!".

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Lust for power" would be a better slogan [Big Grin]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amanda

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda   Author's Homepage   E-mail Amanda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Ever hear of Jim Hogg, former governor of Texas? He named his only daughter "Ima."

I knew some people from around here (southern oklahoma) that named their twin daughters Ima and Ura. Their last name was HOGG. hehe, that's awful. I also remember a man with the last name of Buzydragus (Say it out loud...Buzzy Drag Ass.) hehe

--------------------
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.

Posts: 3 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electric Shadow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electric Shadow     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in primary school, a boy in my class was named Geetheeka. The name was no problem- it was a traditional name from his family's tribe, I believe. The problem was that 7 year olds couldn't get their tongues around it, so we shortened it and he was stuck being called 'Git' for years.
Posts: 43 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seanette
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Seanette   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seanette   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Ever hear of Jim Hogg, former governor of Texas? He named his only daughter "Ima."

I knew some people from around here (southern oklahoma) that named their twin daughters Ima and Ura. Their last name was HOGG. hehe, that's awful. I also remember a man with the last name of Buzydragus (Say it out loud...Buzzy Drag Ass.) hehe
Nice try, dear, but if you'd bothered to check this very site, you'd see that the UL you're claiming personal experience with was debunked decades ago.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages