snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Unfortunate baby names (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Unfortunate baby names
smallmac
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smallmac   E-mail smallmac   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have I seen a legend about Picabo Street working in an ICU?

Answers phone "Picabo ICU"

Posts: 133 | From: Lanarkshire, Scotland | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notorious fluffy g
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notorious fluffy g   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my mom's cousin named her kids Star, Sunday, Genesis, and Enrico Caruso.
we've also got a little girl in our church's youth program named Princess.

--------------------
"Reading and writing, arithmetic and grammar do not constitute education, any more than a knife, fork and spoon constitute a dinner."

* Sir John Lubbock

Posts: 76 | From: Clarksburg, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
labenge
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My ex worked with two people with interesting names - one was Al Foggetti and the other was Sam Manella.

I went to a doctor once named Dr. Ballard (like the dog food)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nocturnal Emissions Test
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nocturnal Emissions Test     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read, on yahoo weird news, about a family in texas that named their child abcde (pronounced ab-sid-ee)

--------------------
Danielle

Posts: 282 | From: Muggy Chicago | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked with a guy named Jim Morrison, who used to get calls from clients named Steve Miller and Richard Nixon.

"Jim Morrison, Steve Miller's on line two. . ."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cyprien
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyprien   E-mail Cyprien   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a great-great grandfather named Adonis. As we are from South Louisiana, it was pronounced Ah-do-NEES rather than Uh-DON-is, but it was spelled as such. How the heck do you live up to a name like that, anyway?
Posts: 17 | From: Bham, AL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Verly The Elf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Verly The Elf   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
here's my favorite site about bad baby names. http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

--------------------
Nothing's as mean as giving a little child something useful for Christmas. ~Kin Hubbard

Posts: 14 | From: Nelsonville, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My youngest daughter went to third grade with a girl who was named "Omunique"... as in "I'm Unique". I have a relative who named her daughter Crixaxian Davidandra. They call her Crissy. (I'm sure I spelled that first name wrong, but that's how it is phonetically).

Also, there's a political person from Wisconsin (not sure if he's a congressman or senator) who is named Richard Swet. And yes, he goes by Dick.

When I gave birth to my youngest child, I had to register her in the hospital (army hospital, for her records) when I was released, so I said her name: "Christine Jessica ______". the lady in the office asked me to spell it. I sort of stumbled and said, "Like it sounds..." and spelled it.

She said a few weeks before, someone named their child with this spelling: Krystyne.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThisChickIsCrazy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisChickIsCrazy   E-mail ThisChickIsCrazy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have met a 'Sunny Day ___' and sisters named 'Summer' and 'Winter.'
Posts: 5 | From: Hampton Roads, VA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThisChickIsCrazy:

I like these names. I don't think they are unfortunate.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:

Perhaps not unfortunate but definitely, I think, a little precious.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThisChickIsCrazy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisChickIsCrazy   E-mail ThisChickIsCrazy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:

Perhaps not unfortunate but definitely, I think, a little precious.
Maybe not 'unfortunate.' But I do think the names are very cheesey. Nothing I'd ever name my children. Maybe just having a child named Summer or Winter, but sisters named Summer and Winter... And Sunny Day? I just find it tacky. Just my opinion though.
Posts: 5 | From: Hampton Roads, VA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I was watching Designing Women, one of the vacation episodes when they went to a cabin in the woods and were harrassed by a family of "mountain folk". The one Charlene was dancing with said he delivered 14 of his 15 children ("They started callin' me the gyna-cologist") but the 15th had to go to the hospital- "They even named her for us: Phemollie, F-E-M-A-L-E, put it right on her wristband and everything."

I laughed so hard I almost spit out my tea. Then, my family thought I'd lost my mind when I tried to explain. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an episode of ER where a new mother wanted to name her baby. The name she picked was pronounced "share", but she wanted to spell it C-H-A-I-R.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snowcalico
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a customer at work this week named 'Vanilla Beane'. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AJS' Aunt

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJS' Aunt   E-mail AJS' Aunt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I taught school, I had a student named "Steamboat Rock".

His siblings were Jennifer and Bobby.

We always wondered where the name came from.

I also know several young ladies with the following names: Liberty and Independence (sisters), Paxton, Promise, Pleasant, and twins named Neetaka and Tyneeka (combination of their parents names, Juanita and Tyrone). All of these are in their late teens or early 20's.

Posts: 18 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try being a history major with the name Enola Gay. People always assumed my specialty was WW2 history.

It wasn't. [lol]

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Lady Moon, what was it?

I personally wouldn't assume your specialty was WW2 history unless you told me you were a military historian. However, I might think it was 20th C American history.

And to keep this a little on topic, my grandmother's name was Winiferd. Not Winifred, but Winiferd.

Seaboe, just a historical dilettante (not chocolate, however).

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboo Muffinchucker:
So, Lady Moon, what was it?

Biblical times and cultures. Inclusive: Ancient Egypt, the Roman Empire, ancient Near and Middle East.

My college didn't have an anthropolgy major, so I snuck it into the history one.

Bringing this back on topic: My dad's name is Deward, my mom's Juanita, and my little sister is Earldine.

unique family....

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beckalina
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckalina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work at a call center. During my tenure, I encountered Mrs. Boob, Mrs. Hiscock, Sun Moon, Merry Christmas (several of those, actually), and Jesus Christ. I know that there were a lot more that we used to giggle over after hanging up, but these are the only ones I can still remember.

Well, there was also someone who lived on Backlick Road, but that's a little OT for this thread.

Yay! First post!

--------------------
Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change.

Posts: 41 | From: West Central Ohio (Wee. Farms.) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon:
Try being a history major with the name Enola Gay. People always assumed my specialty was WW2 history.

It wasn't. [lol]

Why might I ask your parents named you something that's always the subject of heated historical debates?

Just out of curiosity.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
crazybob
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazybob   E-mail crazybob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work with a man with the last name of Dickinsheets. Not really all THAT unfortunate until you consider the company we work for... We sell mattresses!!

--------------------
You can observe a lot just by watching.
-Yogi Berra

Posts: 85 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpudBug:
I also know several young ladies with the following names: Liberty and Independence (sisters)

Being a John Mellencamp fan, I wanted kids named Independence and Justice, but DH would have none of it.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My last SO's name was Sicco. It's northern Dutch, and fairly common. Poor boy.

Blue "Mind if I call you Jos instead?" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew a man whose last name was Pickelheimer. When he married a Ms. Cunningham, he changed his name to match hers.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
[QUOTE]Why might I ask your parents named you something that's always the subject of heated historical debates?

Just out of curiosity.

Oh, sure! I don't mind curiosity or answering questions! [Big Grin]

My father was in the Air Force right after WW2 and his middle name was Nolan. I was supposed to be named after him, but I had to be born a girl.

My grandfather worked as a guard in Oak Ridge during the Manhattan Project, so to my father, naming me Enola Gay was both a nod to his father's work and a sneaky way of naming me after himself.

I did drop the 'Gay' after being called 'homo' for the entire length of my schooling. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

AJS' Aunt

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJS' Aunt   E-mail AJS' Aunt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, there was also someone who lived on Backlick Road, but that's a little OT for this thread.
[/QB]

Wait, I live near Backlick Road!!

--------------------
Life is a gift, it's rude to return it.

Posts: 18 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AJS' Aunt

My friends great-uncles were named "Berthel" and "Thorville", their family was from Norway? Sweden? Finland? They actually settled in the north Mid-West.

She told me the names of her other aunts, uncles and cousins, all of them very odd to me, but those were the only two that really stuck.

--------------------

AJS' Aunt

My friends great-uncles were named "Berthel" and "Thorville", their family was from Norway? Sweden? Finland? They actually settled in the north Mid-West.

She told me the names of her other aunts, uncles and cousins, all of them very odd to me, but those were the only two that really stuck.

--------------------

waiting2be_called

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waiting2be_called   E-mail waiting2be_called   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wanted to give my first born son my maiden name, Tripp, as his first name, but I ended up marrying a man with the last name "Monk"...I would never do that to my child!

I know of a minister named Dick Monster. And I have some friends who are twin sisters named Harmony and Melody, and a girl from HS named Anita Traynor. At the genealogy centre I worked at we also encountered a "Ty-lynn Grout", and "Kate Sarah Sawraw".

Posts: 9 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To be honest I don't know of any last name that could make the first name "Tripp" look good.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mage:
To be honest I don't know of any last name that could make the first name "Tripp" look good.

Breaker? O'Dometer? Light-Fantastic?

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AJS' Aunt

Several years we had a guy teaching at our church school who was named Richard Upright. Initially, he introduced himself as "Dick Upright". That stopped when the parents of one of his students spoke with the school principal. She didn't realize it was his name and thought he was being obscene.

--------------------

waiting2be_called

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waiting2be_called   E-mail waiting2be_called   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mage:

That's true...
Posts: 9 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Walking through the store Wednesday I heard a mother bellowing at her twin girls to 'get back here'. Their names?

Brandy and Tequila.

Lady "I wish I was joking" Moon

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages