snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Unfortunate baby names (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Unfortunate baby names
missiebreathe
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missiebreathe         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In one of the middle schools in my town is a teacher named Harold Ness, middle initial P.
Harry P. Ness. Poor guy!

Posts: 46 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, my brother named his son Remy Martin. Since his wife is French and we live in south Louisiana where Remy (Reme')used to be a common name, he got away with it. But the kid is named after the cognac.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I kid you not -- Dr. Dick Chopp, urologist:

http://www.intra-focus.com/urology/4B91148B-65BE-CC3C-1FE21A10D64ACF52.htm

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me superstitious: I am not going to let that docter get a scalpel anywhere near me.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
I kid you not -- Dr. Dick Chopp, urologist:

http://www.intra-focus.com/urology/4B91148B-65BE-CC3C-1FE21A10D64ACF52.htm

- snopes

I'll see your Dr. Dick Chopp, urologist and raise you a Dr. Warren Butt, proctologist.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dper
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife is an RN who worked Labor & Delivery for 14 years and has heard of a few duseys.

One couple had identical twins. The father wantd to name them "Lightening" and "Thunderbolt". The mother had other ideas and prevailed.

Another young woman thought of a name she had heard recently and liked and decided to name her little girl "Placenta".

When the parent(s) can't decide on a name and the child is already born, the initial birth certificate says, "Male Jones" or "Female Harrison" indicating the gender of the child attached to the mother's last name. One such mother, seeing the birth certificate, assumed the hospital assigned a name and said, "That's gooot. 'Fe-MA-le', I like that."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rheyn
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheyn   E-mail Rheyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At a former company, I had an employee whose first name was Venerea...needless to say she just went by Vee.

--------------------
"I'm going to kick so much a** for you, I'm going to take no prisoners, I'm going to be your ninja assassin!" - Carter Duryea

Posts: 7 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joey
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey   E-mail Joey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My uncle went to uni (college) with 2 bros,called ALAN and PETER NESS

Mr A Ness
Mr P Ness

--------------------
"If something's hard to do... it's not worth doing!" - H J Simpson

Posts: 78 | From: Durham, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snowcalico
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Newbie here, but I had to contribute one of my favorites:

A co-worker of mine once got a customer called Gay Horney. In fact, typing her name into Google will bring up her page-- she's a real estate agent in Maryland.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A girl at my sister's school is called Rosie Bottom. I swear I'm not making this up.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Planned Chaos
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Planned Chaos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to school with a guy named Sky Rockett.

--------------------
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.

Posts: 123 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kindly Wise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindly Wise   E-mail Kindly Wise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
William P. Lear, inventor of the eight-track tape player and designer of the Lear Fan jet, named his only daughter "Shanda".

--------------------
Beati caseusarii

Posts: 103 | From: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my school:

Chris Peacock
Alec Beaver

Recently through work:

Connor Rea

There was a councilor in Stoke, where I went to Uni called "Ramon Mycock". Worse, his picture on the .gov.uk site pictured him with a black eye patch. He got so many prank phone calls that he started using his middle name, making him "Barry Mycock". I'd have thought his last name would have been the prime candidate for alteration, but what do I know. I wouldn't have believed it if it wasn't on the official council site.

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joey
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey   E-mail Joey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually know sum1 called connor reer too, diff spelling though!

Also Brian Damage!

--------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Durham, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shebeeinks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shebeeinks   E-mail shebeeinks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to middle school with a gal named Wendy Summer Something-or-other(can't remember her last name). Then her mother remarried during summer break to a man with the last name...Knight. They moved right after that and I never did find out if Wendy took her stepfathers name. Would be funny if she did though.
Posts: 21 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen recently on an episode of Mythbusters (Homemade Jet Pack/Pyramid Power) was North East West, who is the Director of the Gallery at the Hiller Aviation Museum. SO and I were debating whether the man had changed his name to this or whether his parents had the last name West and a twisted sense of humour. Also, as mentioned on the show, what happened to south? Maybe that's a sibling.

Judy

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Starla had a friend whose legal name was Huckleberry Finn.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joey
I Saw Three Shipments

I know another one, i can't believe i forgot, my dad knew a bloke called Chris Rea, not the singer, i don't think.
Anyway, he called his daughter....DIANE, or DI for short!

--------------------

magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can see awful names people have given their children every day on babynamesworld.com or bigbadbabynames.com. The funny thing is, a lot of the suggestions on babynamesworld.com are serious! I have seen people wanting to name their children Blue, Diesel, Paisley, Anakin, D-Kwon and K-Kwon, boys named Brooklyn, girls name Ryan... and I've even seen a birth announcement for a girl named Aryan Justice (and yes, her parents meant it to stand for white power). I see a list of "bad celebrity names" every now and then, but I swear the so-called "normal" people are the ones that are coming up with the worst ones.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Just Me
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually like Ryan on a little girl. [Wink] I think some of my favorite names are probably considered 'bizarre' by most people: Shanley, Sheridan, Cadence, Callan.

--------------------
"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." - Willy Wonka

Posts: 388 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Photo Spread

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Photo Spread   Author's Homepage   E-mail Photo Spread   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to high school with a Happy Hussey. And I am currently acquainted with a guy named Randy Dykes. [Wink]

Of course, I also went to high school with three sisters whose father REALLY liked Chevrolet products. The girls were named: Kamaro, Chevelle, and Corvette. What was that family thinking???

--------------------
Photo Spread

Posts: 31 | From: Durham, NC | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MsBeaverhausen
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for MsBeaverhausen   E-mail MsBeaverhausen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to high school with a girl who named her twins Courvoisier Brandi and Tanqueray Ginnie

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I love Jesus... PURPLE JESUS !!!

Posts: 248 | From: Ft. Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a student from Korea named Oh Yu Suk. Felt bad for the guy, as this name has no negative connotations in Korean.

My last name is Field, so I've always wanted to have a son and name him Wrigley, Ebbet, or Forbe, but my wife said that if those are the choices of name, we aren't having any sons! So we had a daughter instead. I lobbied for Strawberry Forever Field, but was shot down on that one too.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently met a family from germany who had named their two twing Frank Thomas and Stein Thomas.

Frank and Stein.

Apparently "stein"'s original name was Stanley. but the mother found out the Frankenstein similarity and opted to call him Stein.

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted this in the other "Bizarre baby name" thread, but I found research by Dr. Peter H. Pan on epidurals during labor.

"Just a shot of this and you'll feel like you can fly."

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
xtargeeter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtargeeter   E-mail xtargeeter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While stationed at Ft. Sill, OK, many years ago, I was walking downtown and saw a sign for Dr. Clapp, a urologist.

During my five years of working for the Salvation Army, I ran across several "different" names. One little boy was named "Rickoshay" and pronounced just like it is spelled.

Also, I grew up with a family that had the last name of "Fuckit." Yep. He was an Air Force NCO, so you can imagine what kind of grief he got because of his name tag. My understanding is that this name was given to the family when his ancestors came through Ellis Island. Originally, it was Fuchest or something resembling that.

Two things - the wife must have REALLY loved him to take that name (I knew them in the late 50's and early 60's when women "always" took the husband's name.) and if it had been me I'd of been in front of a judge on my 18th birthday changing my name to anything else.

I hope this ties into the subject of baby names – they all had those name as babies!

Posts: 21 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder:
Recently met a family from germany who had named their two twing Frank Thomas and Stein Thomas.

Frank and Stein.

Apparently "stein"'s original name was Stanley. but the mother found out the Frankenstein similarity and opted to call him Stein.

D'ohohoho! I know a Frank N. Stein, he's Jewish if you couldn't tell already.

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
German parliament featured (until the very last election in september) a "Gaius Julius Caesar". A well known therapist in sexual stuff is "Gisela von Hinten". Well, babelfish it yourself [Smile]

While living in Finnland, I met an Estonian professor of the name of "Kein Rand", German for "No margin", so this inter language thing happens often. Come to think of it. in a football (soccer of course) match between Brazil and Germany Germany fielded, to the enjoyment of the crowd, "Franco Foda".

Ulko "rare name, but not silly" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was that skier a few years ago called Picabo Street. (pronounced peekaboo street)

According to office chatter, which I have not verified, her parents left her virtually nameless until she could name herself. So at about 2 she called herself Picabo.

Research does wonders...I have finally learned where her name comes from.
quote:
Picabo has always gone as fast as she can and she's always ignored rules. She picked up these traits from her parents - who tended to do things their own way as well. Picabo's 'rents decided to let Picabo choose her own name when she was old enough so for the first two years of her life, she was called "Little Girl." When Picabo was two, her mother took her to get a US passport for a trip to Mexico. When Dee tried to write down "Little Girl" as daughter's first name, the guy at the passport office gave her a funny look and told her she had two weeks to give her daughter a "real name." So, Stubby and Dee named their daughter Picabo (after a small village in Idaho.) When she was four, Picabo's parents said she could change her name but she decided to keep it.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I was in the US Navy, I ran into quite a few interesting names. One of my bunkmates was Douglas James Rock (AKA: D.J. Rock). There was also a recruit in the bootcamp class behind mine whose last name was Stains. When he graduated bootcamp, he became...

Seaman Stains!

I heard he made Petty Officer rather quickly. [lol]

Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xtargeeter:
Also, I grew up with a family that had the last name of "Fuckit."

You mean he didn't pronounce it "Foo-kay"?

Sorry... [fish]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Re: "Funny Names"

Recently, a friend directed me to the following URL, with the admonition
to look at the second baby name for April 14.

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/hospitals/template/hospitalpage.asp?mode=search&birthMonth=4&birthYear=2005&HospitalID=4384

We're thinking that it's probably pronounced "Jen-AH-sid-ee"

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh. my. God.

I hope 1) it's a girl; 2) she's always called "Jenny"; 3) no one ever tells her what her name means.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine is a teacher. She's run across Latrina (hope the kid doesn't grow up and join the army) and Satin (pronounced with a long "a").

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my best friends had the surname Fallis.

She had one sister (who married and changed her name) and one brother, R. When R. and his wife L. had children, my friend's parents were hurt and disappointed that the children were given L's last name and not theirs (however, they're terrific people and not stupid; they didn't let their disappointment hurt their relationship with their grandchildren).

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages