snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Unfortunate baby names (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Unfortunate baby names
Laura......The one with the rage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
quote:
Originally posted by Laura......The one with the rage:
There is also that famous cricketer called "Jack Russell"

quote:
The Jack Russell Terrier takes it name from the Reverend John Russell who bred one of the finest strains of terriers for working fox in Devonshire, England in the mid-to-late 1800's.
(source)

So it's not like he's named after a dog, but the father of a breed...

-Tim

Now that's just the boring way to look at it! [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think I've mentioned this already but I went to school with a Richard Everhard (hint: "Dick" is short for Richard)

-Tim

A FOAF's parents named him Richard, too. Way to ensure a torment-free childhood for your son, Mr. and Mrs. Head...

My older brother's name is Thomas, and mine is Richard but, for some reason, my parents didn't decide to call my younger brother "Harold."

Arts "internym-able" Myth

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
valandearl19
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still can't get over Apple Martin. One slip up and he's Apple Martini

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by valandearl19:
I still can't get over Apple Martin. One slip up and he's Apple Martini

Apple Martin is a girl.

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
twindad
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twindad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I dated a girl in HS named Lilian Recksiek, whose older sister was named Anna Louise. Ironically, she was a little heavy. Lili, on the other hand was very slightly built.

TD

Posts: 19 | From: United States | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once knew someone named Rita Buk (pronounced "Book"). Ouch.

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew a woman once whose surname was Dealey, pronounced "daily."

Her fiance's surname was Spieker, prounounced "speaker."

A coworker of hers, not thinking of how the names were pronounced, asked whether she was going to hyphenate her name.

Her response was no way. She didn't want to go through life as FN "daily speaker."

And a classmate of my father's back in the 30s was Violet May Wilt.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canora Venatrix sdb021499
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canora Venatrix sdb021499   E-mail Canora Venatrix sdb021499   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband has a cousin that was the only boy out of 5 kids. His name is Richard Long.
He lived with us at one point and every day someoen would call for him while he was at work. Once, the curiousity of the caller got the better of him and he asked what Richard went by, was it Richard, Rick, Ricky, or Dick. I said I didn't know, because the guy was only my tenant. He's like, "You know why I asked don't you," barely able to contain his laughter; I hung up. Some people have some nerve.

--------------------
Linguae quae genera distincta non habent inuriam faciunt feminis! - Henricus Barbatus, Lingua Latina Multo Pluribus Occasionibus
Sweet Pea
Accidentally offending people online since 1998.

Posts: 83 | From: College Station, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sdb021499:
My husband has a cousin that was the only boy out of 5 kids. His name is Richard Long.
He lived with us at one point and every day someoen would call for him while he was at work. Once, the curiousity of the caller got the better of him and he asked what Richard went by, was it Richard, Rick, Ricky, or Dick. I said I didn't know, because the guy was only my tenant. He's like, "You know why I asked don't you," barely able to contain his laughter; I hung up. Some people have some nerve.

I know of a Dick Longest. I also knew a Scott Free and his sister Ilean Free. I think her name was spelled i-l-e-a-n because their father was a butcher.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladibugs

I know this will sound like a joke but it isn't. Not so much a baby name. But I had a teacher in high school, "Mr. Dick". Well one day his wife came in and he introduced her. "Class meet my wife Anita" We all started laughing. Took him like 20 minutes to calm us down. Well she married him..... [lol]
PeterK
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeterK   E-mail PeterK   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arts Myth:
quote:
I think I've mentioned this already but I went to school with a Richard Everhard (hint: "Dick" is short for Richard)

-Tim

A FOAF's parents named him Richard, too. Way to ensure a torment-free childhood for your son, Mr. and Mrs. Head...

My older brother's name is Thomas, and mine is Richard but, for some reason, my parents didn't decide to call my younger brother "Harold."

Arts "internym-able" Myth

There was until recently a senior politician in NSW, Australia called The Honourable Mr Richard Face. His staff knew that if ever he heard them mention the word "Dick" they would be sacked. But it wasn't his parents' fault, but his own! They christened him John Richard Face, but he chose to be known as Richard.

Oh and my great-grandfather was one of 3 brothers called Tom, Dick and Harry.

Posts: 670 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shebeeinks

Icon 217 posted      Profile for shebeeinks   E-mail shebeeinks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago I was leaving Wal-Mart when I called for my son over my shoulder. The woman next to me stopped and commented how much she liked my sons' name.
I said "Excuse me?"
She said, "Kumonji, that really pretty."
I smiled, shook my head and said, "No, no. My sons' name is RJ, I call him J for short. I was saying 'Come-On-J'."
She turned beet red and made a hasty exit. I chuckled all the way home.

Posts: 21 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shebeeinks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shebeeinks   E-mail shebeeinks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you sound out Urhines Kendell Icy Eight Special K, It sounds like: Your Highness, Kendell, I see ate Special K.
Posts: 21 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sock89

I really know a Wendy Anne Rainey.
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad worked with a guy who named his 3 daughters Sherry, Brandy, and Anisette. By the way, my dad worked in a brewery.

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by penna:
the owner of loblaw's food chain is Bob Loblaw..

I believe this is a UL/joke. If you look at www.loblaws.ca there is a history of how the store started (founded by T.P. Loblaw and Justin Cork) and the changes it has gone through since its founding. There's no mention of "bob" or even "robert" anywhere on the site, according to google. If you can prove me wrong, please feel free to do so.

Judy

ETA: typo

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I may be incredible thick, because I don't get what "Bob Loblaw" is supposed to sound like, so I'm missing the joke. [Frown]

In perpetuating ULs, last night I saw Lewis Black give a concert in town, and he told of how a doctor came to him after a show and said someone had named their baby Shithead, and how when he traveled the country on tour, he heard the same name pop up in two other states.

He also did a routine about cell phones and "a man with a hook", but that's another topic...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
I think I may be incredible thick, because I don't get what "Bob Loblaw" is supposed to sound like, so I'm missing the joke. [Frown]

I wasn't sure either 'til I said it out loud: "blah blah blah"...
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently was addressing envelopes at work and came across Alan Wrench.
Have also found Jesus several times.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:

I wasn't sure either 'til I said it out loud: "blah blah blah"...
I gather from the Loblaws website that it's a Canadian thing, specifically an Ontario thing. Having grown up in Toronto, I've heard the "Bob Loblaws" joke as long as I can remember. And yes, you've got the essence of the joke. Us Torontonians are a simple folk [Big Grin]

Judy

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
not really funny in anyway. Just wanted to throw me and my father name out there.

Mine - "Iolo"
dad - "Ieuan"

Theres no sexual reference at all, just posting them
for the obsurdity of them to you guys (although here in Wales they are both rather common) and in the hopes you might be able to cheer me up.

(btw, pronounced - "yo-low" and "yeuy-ann")

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune26:
I recently was addressing envelopes at work and came across Alan Wrench.
Have also found Jesus several times.
[Big Grin]

Jesus is common here in Tucson. I *did* once work with a Refugio, though.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skrap
Minnow Way Out

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skrap   E-mail skrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a picture in my local paper of some high school kids that are doing a play at our theater. One of the boys is named Colt.
skrap

--------------------
The Quiet One

Posts: 928 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but my dear kitap, it is not so common in Oregon.
The main chuckle comes from the "have you found Jesus " that gets asked on random street corners 'round here.
Or "have you found Cheez-wiz?" as one such street preacher says it.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The main chuckle comes from the "have you found Jesus " that gets asked on random street corners 'round here.
Last year my daughter's soccer team had so many boys named Juan, if the coach called out something to "Juan" the kids would all respond in unison, "Which Juan?"
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once taught at a school where a student had the last name Porcue (pronounced "pork you) -- unfortunately, her parents in their infinite wisdom named her Amanda. The first time I heard her paged over the intercom, I assumed that a student was playing a prank: "Excuse me, we're looking for a man to pork you..."
[Confused]

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
showmom
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for showmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The South African Symphonic Orchestra conductor's name is Richard Cock. You make sure you call him Richard - nothing else.

--------------------
Bull elephants only copulate for 20 seconds. This should make a lot of men feel better.

Posts: 134 | From: Carlisle, PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also work in medical records. Never fails to amaze me what people are willing to name their children. My favorite so far is Unique. Because if there's another one her in her class, that means her name is Unique...but it isn't.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago, one of our local football teams had two kids named Jose. The announcer called the senior "Hose A" and the sophomore "Hose B".

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 107 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my uncles has a stepson who named his kid Lucifer. I'm not making this up either.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, this has got to be a UL, especially since I've heard this story more than once. How about you guys? This one's been around for awhile and very unPC:

A woman of a certain ethnicity had just given birth to a baby girl. As she and her baby were preparing to leave the hospital, the nurse came in and said, "Ma'am, before you leave, you need to finish filling out this birth certificate form."

The mom said, "well I ain't thought of a name yet."

The nurse said, "well you better hurry up and think of one" and left the room.

The woman filled out the form and decided to use the name she thought the doctor had given the child since it was printed on her ankle band. The woman thought the baby's name was pronounced "FEM-ALI" and that's how she introduced her baby to everyone. On the child's birth certificate, her name is spelled "FEMALE", which is exactly what her mother wrote on the form.

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost-a-chow: a few variations here - http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.htm

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Siawasi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siawasi   E-mail Siawasi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a neighbor whose name is Richard Cumming... and no he doesn't go by Richard, Rick, or Ricky....lol.

It's amazing, isn't it, the number of perverse connotations that can be linked to the first name Richard!

Sia..."No, please, call me Dick"...wasi

--------------------
"All I saw was a thud..."
"Some people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience."

Posts: 81 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nocturnal Emissions Test
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nocturnal Emissions Test     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know a Richard Cox, a Jim Pancake and now work with a guy whose last name is 'SPOO' - I SWEAR it!

--------------------
Danielle

Posts: 282 | From: Muggy Chicago | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BDevil38

In the Philippines there are a lot of people whose 'legal' name is either "Baby Boy" or "Baby Girl"!
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages