snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Unfortunate baby names (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Unfortunate baby names
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone mentioned his dentist, Dr Payne, the other day.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:

did they really- where here on the board or IRL?

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My dad was for many years Mr Payne, the dentist. A source of much amusement to his patients, I'm sure.
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wee wifey:
quote:

I think it was on another board, not here.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wee wifey:
quote:

I think it was on another board, not here.
See the post above from DocJ for the reason for my curiosity.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Restless Mouse
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Restless Mouse     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K
would be a good name for a show dog but not a child.

Posts: 3 | From: Marysville, WA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly an unfortunate name, but it could have been.

I had a customer named Elizabeth Taylor the other day. The funny thing was that she actually resembled Elizabeth Taylor quite a bit, though this lady was Black. She was beautiful and had curly dark hair, gorgeous eyes and even a beauty mark.

Since the famous Elizabeth Taylor is (or was, at least for the most part) known for her beauty it was lucky for the customer that she was so pretty. I imagine having the same name as a famous beauty and being plain looking or unattractive could get frustrating.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiwimacahau

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiwimacahau   E-mail Kiwimacahau   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGON-multifaceted:
SO worked in a hospital where the mother named her daughter Ah-SHOW-lee.

Nice name. Unfortunately, spelled "Asshole".

Nothing the nurses said could talk mom out of it, apparently.

American River Hospital in Charmichael California. Sometime in the early 90s.

Here in NZ the final decision of a child's name rests with the Registrar of births, deaths and marriages who can refuse to register a birth if the name is offensive.

Kiwimac

--------------------
I will shortly add something witty here.

Posts: 4 | From: Mount Somers, Canterbury, New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DanielCraft
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielCraft     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a very unfortunately named baby last week as I was picking up my son from the nursery.

The lady next to me called out to her two year old, "Come here Marcus Aurelius". *shakes head*

Poor little sod, he's going to be hammered by the other kids when he starts school.

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Posts: 98 | From: Romford, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DanielCraft
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielCraft     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
double-post

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Posts: 98 | From: Romford, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone I work with is has the surname Beaver.

He named his unfortunate daughter Iona.

Poor girl

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mother of Nanaballis

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Mother of Nanaballis         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My ophthalmologist's name is Dr Polk (you have to say it out loud).
Posts: 23 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChiLlBeserker
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChiLlBeserker   E-mail ChiLlBeserker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My father had a customer once called "Shai Pekka" .. pronounced "shy pecker" .. yikes.

There is a doctor somewhere in Vienna according to legends - or was at some point (IIRC, my father wanted to steal the plaque from this guy's office some decades ago, but didn't get to it .. or something like that) called "Gotthard Dick" .. once again, yikes.

Posts: 55 | From: Around places. Currently in Vienna | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
angelyze siouxluv [lastname]

Oh, my.

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
F minor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F minor   E-mail F minor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:
quote:

My dad was for many years Mr Payne, the dentist. A source of much amusement to his patients, I'm sure.
My old dentist was called Mr Fang.
Posts: 124 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piyokochan
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piyokochan   E-mail piyokochan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DanielCraft:
I heard a very unfortunately named baby last week as I was picking up my son from the nursery.

The lady next to me called out to her two year old, "Come here Marcus Aurelius". *shakes head*

Poor little sod, he's going to be hammered by the other kids when he starts school.

Hopefully the other kids will just call him Mark or something.

--------------------
"Shakespeare and Dante divide the world between them. There is no third." - T. S. Eliot

Posts: 77 | From: New Milford, CT | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cambion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cambion   E-mail Cambion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A while back I noticed the name of a parent in the Births section of the newspaper. Mommy's name was "Porky". I can't begin to imagine the ridicule this girl must have suffered in her childhood.
Posts: 39 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Primal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primal   E-mail Primal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having a "caucasian" sounding name ( at least the reason that was given to me) isn't any better. Talking to people over the phone and then meeting me has led to "Wow. i thought you were white" It gets annoying after a while. (My name is Amber Christine)
Oh and going to a school where they sang "America the Beautiful" every day didn't help any. Does everyone have to stare at me every freaking time they say "amber waves of grain"?

Trust me. Having a "normal" name can be just as frustrating.

Posts: 2 | From: Newark, Delaware | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piyokochan:
quote:
Originally posted by DanielCraft:

Hopefully the other kids will just call him Mark or something.
Or even Marcus which is a reasonably common name.

And Jack Russell (the cricketer) can't count as an unfortunate baby name. That's more of a nickname, his birth name IIRC is Robert (it begins with an R anyway).

Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Joyful Stoves.

--NewZer0

--------------------

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
There is a politician running for office in this area named Joe Nation.

I have to wonder whether that was the name he was born with or if he changed it when he went into politics.

I completely forgot about him!

My father wanted to name me "Tennessee" at first, and my mother wanted to name me "Teagan."

Also, not really an name, but I have a friend with the initials "ADHD." She's not very happy about that.

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CitizenAim

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CitizenAim   Author's Homepage   E-mail CitizenAim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My college advisor's name is Wang Song. No one has ever really said anything about it, but it's funny to me. There is also a Long Wang in the computer science department at my university, which is not as funny as it could be since they'd probably reverse the order of their name to be Wang Long (like Wang Song, which is listed as Song Wang on everything).
Posts: 146 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The instructor for my "Tests and Measurements" class was "Wah Ho."

We used to greet him before class "Hi Ho!"

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illustrious Editor Ke
Miso Horny

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illustrious Editor Ke         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CitizenAim:
My college advisor's name is Wang Song. No one has ever really said anything about it, but it's funny to me. There is also a Long Wang in the computer science department at my university, which is not as funny as it could be since they'd probably reverse the order of their name to be Wang Long (like Wang Song, which is listed as Song Wang on everything).

In the same vein, I had an instructor named "Wang Dong."
Also, in Chinese, "song" means "loose" or "limp." "Long," on the other hand, means "dragon." So beware of the one, but don't bother with the other!

--------------------
The Master said: Seriously, there's no such ancient Chinese proverb. --Analects of Confucius

Posts: 23 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Oohh, I also came across a Wang Dong once.

I came across this one today: La One [Lastname].

La One? For reals? How do you pronounce that?

--NewZer0

--------------------

Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quote:
Reminds me of a skit they did on SNL quite a few years back. The scene was a young married couple who were trying to come up with names for there unborn child. I believe it was a very young Nicholas Cage who was in the skit but my memory is slipping a bit. Anyway, the name they settled on? Azz weepie, spelled Asswipe!

Actually, here's how it went: the parents are Julia Sweeney and Nicholas Cage. She is obviously pregnant. She suggests several names for the baby, and he shoots down every one by figuring some convoluted way the kids on the playground will make fun of the kid. Finally, they find a name-- it's some Old English name-- that he can't manage to turn into an obsenity. Then there's a knock at the door. It's a telegram messenger with a message for "Emily and Asswipe," pronounced just how you'd expect. Messenger reads telegram of congratulations, and repeats names "Emily and Asswipe" several times. Nicholas Cage furiously grabs the telegram, and says "That's pronounced Az-wee-peh!"

People name their kids weird things, as my five years of working for public schools taught me. One couple called their daughter "Courtney," except they spelled it "Kortnee." I went to school with a Doris Morris, and a Mealie Mack Morris (not related) as well as a Toby Dick.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quote:
A FOAF's parents named him Richard, too. Way to ensure a torment-free childhood for your son, Mr. and Mrs. Head...

I saw with my own eyes a yearbook from the local high school from 1948-- there was in fact a kid named "Dick Head." Guess that expression wasn't around then.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me add to the list... true stories from hospitals I've worked at....

Oranjello and Lemonjello (orange jello and lemon jello pronounced as 1 word)

An older lady... named Birdie Tree

My all time favorite.. pronounced AB-si-de... and spelled....

ABCDE

No kidding!

Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by medtchva:

Did you actually see this firsthand, or hear about it from someone else?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend said that he saw this in the obituaries a few years ago. Mr Hiho (he didn't remember how it was spelled) Silva was survived by his brothers Stirling and Quick Silva.
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SilvorMoon
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilvorMoon   E-mail SilvorMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My father works in one of those shops where they engrave names on plaques, trophies, dog tags, etc. He recently recieved an order for a trophy for a kid named "Darn". He was sure this was a typo, so he phoned in and asked the person who placed the order if this was correct, and they assured him that the boy's name really was spelled D-A-R-N and pronounced "Darren".
Posts: 67 | From: Farmville, Virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
quote:

I actually saw these firsthand. Worked in the hospital lab and did bloodwork on them when they were born.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
quote:

I actually saw these firsthand. Worked in the hospital lab and did bloodwork on them when they were born.
That's funny - because both of those have been touted as untrue ULs for a long time.

Don't know if this name was mentioned at all in the 10 pages (way too tired to check through them all) but there was a (governor?...senator?) from my state whose name was Dick Sweat. I thought it was hilarious he would choose that name over Richard, especially being in the public eye. Then again, I'd choose Richard or Rick or Rich over Dick any day. And that was NOT a sexual reference....

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TimK
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimK     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago when I worked in a job (which I won't specify exactly) where I was in contact with the names of large numbers of people, I ran across someone with the name Nifiteria. I always said her (I assumed this was a woman; if it was a man, God help him) parents must have been hesitating between Nefertiti and Cafeteria.

Best,
Tim

Posts: 61 | From: Bayonne, NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages