snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Unfortunate baby names (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Unfortunate baby names
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I found this link to what appears to be an unfortunately named
infant. Is this for real?

http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals/stf33/public/stf33birthannouncement.pl?babyID=h33-440

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dknjms
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seemed to me that the answer might have been in the baby's book link on the right, but all there is is a message that it has been disabled by request.
Perhaps they were fed up with why the hell would you name your kid that messages?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...what is the last name?

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Does it matter?

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by inkiemouse:

What is the first name? [Confused]

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was being sarcastic. [fish]

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Desperate Cupcakes

Poor kid. Named after a drug, a rapper and god only knows what else.

That'll look like poop on their resume. If they live that long.

--DC

Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only question I have, is Urhines pronounced Your Highness?

And I prefer to consider Special K a cereal. But they could be refering to how he was conceived, I guess.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Desperate Cupcakes

quote:
Originally posted by Moi and Rhombus:

And I prefer to consider Special K a cereal.

I'm with you on that one. However, something tells me this family isn't big on the cereal.

--DC

ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SO worked in a hospital where the mother named her daughter Ah-SHOW-lee.

Nice name. Unfortunately, spelled "Asshole".

Nothing the nurses said could talk mom out of it, apparently.

American River Hospital in Charmichael California. Sometime in the early 90s.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This poor kid's birth announcement shows up on the "babysnamedabadbadthing" (bigbadbabynames.com) forums from time to time and is real as far as anyone can; I know one of the posters there thought "Special K" might be a nickname.

The general concensus (not that it's official or anything) is that it's supposed to be pronounced "Your Highness" and also that the whole name is a name you should be naming your pet, not your kid.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this was the same hospital where my daughter was born, so I popped over to look. Unfortunately, they don't keep archives back to 2003. Bugger! I did notice that the site provided is not linked to the actual St. Francis site. Of course, it's old enough, it wouldn't be anymore. Looks a lot like St. Francis' "Lullaby Lane," though.

So next, I went to the archives of the Topeka Capital-Journal. They usually list all of the children born in the Topeka hospitals and birth centers, whether they're from Topeka or not. You can always opt not to list your announcement, but you can also opt not to publish the picture on the internet. I figured if they did one, they likely would have done the other.

I searched in 2003 from February 16 through February 21 (where there were no announcements from before February 19), and there were no listings at all for any parents named Evelyn or Kendall.

Anyone is free to double-check me if they want, because I'm not feeling great today, and who knows if I missed something....

http://cjonline.com/archives/

Anyway, it's not definitive proof that there was no such child born in Topeka, but for me, it casts some doubt.

Who knows, though. The things people are capable of never cease to amaze me.

*Shrug*

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGON-multifaceted:

My aunt told me the same story from a local hospital. This may be a UL along the lines of "Lemonjello".
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, I think I'll change my name for a bit.

» Hello, Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K [lol]

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Working in Medical Records for a short time, I've come across my fair share of odd names in the baby sections. Personal favorites included: My'King, My'Angel, My'Prince...etc.

Mrs.hi-C still contends that first names should not have punctuation!

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drag, the Magic Puffin:
My aunt told me the same story from a local hospital. This may be a UL along the lines of "Lemonjello". [/QB]

Could be. Though SO was working that night and saw the mother. SO told me the next day after work.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a boy scout official named "Orange Apple" that my dad knew when he was in the scouts... Poor guy!

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGON-multifaceted:

Reminds me of a skit they did on SNL quite a few years back. The scene was a young married couple who were trying to come up with names for there unborn child. I believe it was a very young Nicholas Cage who was in the skit but my memory is slipping a bit. Anyway, the name they settled on? Azz weepie, spelled Asswipe! [lol]

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drag, the Magic Puffin:
This may be a UL along the lines of "Lemonjello".

Unbelievably, my SIL just recited this story recently, with both Lemonjello and Orangejello.

She swears she personally saw the names in the database from when she worked at Deluxe (a check printing outfit here in Mpls) from people who had checks printed.

I doubt she's lying... is it possible that someone snuck these into the database to help perpetrate the legend? Is it possible this is real? (I'm very skeptical of the latter...)

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also just found this:

Stoooopid-Baby-Names-A-Chow

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a news story on a gaming forum I post at claiming someone named their child "Sephiroth."
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever hear of Jim Hogg, former governor of Texas? He named his only daughter "Ima."

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're joking, right?
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 212 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
from wikipedia:
quote:
James Stephen "Jim" Hogg (March 24, 1851-March 3, 1906 was a Texas lawyer and statesman, and the first native to become Governor of Texas. Hogg is often remembered for naming his daughter Ima Hogg, an odd name which derived from a poem written by James' brother. That "Miss Ima," as she was known throughout her lifetime, had a sister named "Ura" is an unfortunate but persistent fiction.
Not an unfortunate name, but a former manager of mine, who was a huge Buffalo Bills fan, got his wife to agree to name their son James Kelly _____ (A nice Irish name). It wasn't until she saw the former Buffalo Bills QB/Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly doing a promo on TV that she figured out where the name came from.

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
I saw a news story on a gaming forum I post at claiming someone named their child "Sephiroth."

One guy I dated wanted to name his kids Optimus Prime and Wonder Woman. He was a Star Wars nut...hey, that's another thread.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
You're joking, right?

No joke, if you're referring to Ima Hogg. However, it seems it was NOT done with malicious intent:

http://www.fm.coe.uh.edu/comparisons/ima1a.html

ETA: Sometimes you will hear that she had siblings named Ura, Hesa, and Shesa, but that is NOT true.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman who worked where I did was called jenna taylor
Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tomcat
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tomcat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tomcat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by inkiemouse:

It says this at the bottom of the page:

"Congratulations, Evelyn and Kendall. Best wishes to Urhines Kendall for a life filled with happiness and success from the staff at St. Francis Health Center. God bless you all!"

Edit: Whoops... just realized Urhines's second name is Kendall... This is getting confusing.

--------------------
www.audiowaveprod.com

You can go 'round the world,
You can go 'round the block.
But all I want to hear,
Is some '55 rock...

*Cub Koda

Posts: 170 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura......The one with the rage

quote:
Originally posted by Moi and Rhombus:
The only question I have, is Urhines pronounced Your Highness?

I'd loved to have been called urhines if it was pronounced that way. Not all those other names though, of course.
Laura......The one with the rage

There is also that famous cricketer called "Jack Russell"
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Laura......The one with the rage:
There is also that famous cricketer called "Jack Russell"

quote:
The Jack Russell Terrier takes it name from the Reverend John Russell who bred one of the finest strains of terriers for working fox in Devonshire, England in the mid-to-late 1800's.
(source)

So it's not like he's named after a dog, but the father of a breed...

-Tim

Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While visiting an elementary school, I met an 8 year old girl named "Crisis Mundial" (spanish for World Crisis).

Her teachers said everyone just called her "Cris".

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
penna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penna   E-mail penna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the owner of loblaw's food chain is Bob Loblaw and my friends sis went to school with a weenie corsini

--------------------
if it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is....

Posts: 39 | From: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by penna:
the owner of loblaw's food chain is Bob Loblaw and my friends sis went to school with a weenie corsini

weenie corsini sounds like a nickname. I can't believe anyone would actually name their kid that. Of course, I can't believe people name their kids lotsa things... [Roll Eyes]

I think I've mentioned this already but I went to school with a Richard Everhard (hint: "Dick" is short for Richard)

-Tim

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages