snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » "AIDS is a state of mind" Jenna Elfman

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "AIDS is a state of mind" Jenna Elfman
The Otter of our Discontent
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I received an email titled "Stupid Celebrity Quotes," and nearly all of them were apocryphal quotes about the current war in Iraq.

One stuck out, Jenna Elfman, aka Dharma, of "Dharma & Greg," who is supposedly a recent convert to Scientology.

She said that "AIDS is a state of mind, and not a disease." The quote also says that any disease can be cured with the application of Scientologist beliefs.

True? and bonus question, do Scientologists really belive in all that Intergalactic War stuff?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High


Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From a DEc. 23, 1999 usenet post
quote:
found at http://www.dailyradar.com/columns/showbiz_column_39.html :

Hollywood Rumors, Gossip and Lawsuits Waiting to Happen
12/14/99
DHARMA DOESN'T HAVE VERY GOOD KARMA

From this moment on, Jenna Elfman shall be known as the Grinch who stole Christmas. During the last holiday season, the Dharma & Greg star refused to take part in a celebrity autograph auction for an organization that
raised money for the care of children with HIV. As a brainwashed devotee of The Church of Scientology, the bah-humbugy Elfman stated that she couldn't support any organization that raised money for AIDS research or relief because "AIDS is a state of mind, not a disease." Get over it! They're babies, for Buddha's sake!! (or should we say "for Xenu's sake" -- in honor of her wacky alien leader/god?).

Ironically, Scientology megacelebs Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and John Travolta all donated autographs for the same auction. One word of advice, Jenna: Watch out for the ghost of Christmas past.

The link is dead.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days


Icon 01 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
From a DEc. 23, 1999 usenet post
quote:
found at http://www.dailyradar.com/columns/showbiz_column_39.html :

Hollywood Rumors, Gossip and Lawsuits Waiting to Happen
12/14/99
DHARMA DOESN'T HAVE VERY GOOD KARMA

From this moment on, Jenna Elfman shall be known as the Grinch who stole Christmas. During the last holiday season, the Dharma & Greg star refused to take part in a celebrity autograph auction for an organization that
raised money for the care of children with HIV. As a brainwashed devotee of The Church of Scientology, the bah-humbugy Elfman stated that she couldn't support any organization that raised money for AIDS research or relief because "AIDS is a state of mind, not a disease." Get over it! They're babies, for Buddha's sake!! (or should we say "for Xenu's sake" -- in honor of her wacky alien leader/god?).

Ironically, Scientology megacelebs Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and John Travolta all donated autographs for the same auction. One word of advice, Jenna: Watch out for the ghost of Christmas past.

The link is dead.
To slightly nitpick that article and hijack this thread at the same time--I subscribe to 'Catholic Digest', which a few months back (don't remember when, rightly) had quoted Nicole Kidman on how much she loved being Catholic.

Ever notice there's an assumption that whatever religion one spouse practices, the other also practices it?

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Otter of our Discontent
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magdalene:
]To slightly nitpick that article and hijack this thread at the same time--I subscribe to 'Catholic Digest', which a few months back (don't remember when, rightly) had quoted Nicole Kidman on how much she loved being Catholic.

Ever notice there's an assumption that whatever religion one spouse practices, the other also practices it?

Magdalene

My father worked for a company whose owner's wife was basically the West Coast high-priestess of Scientology. She made her husband run the business in accordance with Scientology's teachings, so he'd also bring home memos or have anecdotes about Scientology. He was also heavily recruited to join Scientology.

Depending on who was pitching it to him, it was either a philosophy (which would not conflict with his Methodist beliefs) or a religion.

If it was a few months ago, I'm not suprised about NK's statements. I believe she took up Scientology when she was married to Tom Cruise, who is deeply involved in it.

It sounds like her Scientology beliefs were just to humor Tom. I take the quote you posted to mean she ditched Scientology when they divorced.

In fact, the rumors I heard was the main driving forces being the divorce was he wanted to raise the children as Scientologists, something she was vehemently opposed to.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance


Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Query: On the 'disease is a state of mind' point, Scientology and Christian Science seem to have quite a bit in common. Are there any other points of similarity?

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crafty
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
Query: On the 'disease is a state of mind' point, Scientology and Christian Science seem to have quite a bit in common. Are there any other points of similarity?

They are both very much the same, slight differences, but very focused on individual spirituality (their form of it) and natural healing. Also, both always need lots and lots of money. I remember when Kirstie Alley and John Travolta came to town to dedicate the first Scientology building here. UGH! The experience I have is they are very self-focused and self centered, and really look down their noses at the rest of society for our "drug addiction", etc.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella


Icon 01 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was raised as a "non-practicing" Christian Scientist, and from what little I know of Scientology, I would't say were anywhere near "the same." Nor do I remember any unusual money-collecting fervor when I attended the church, no more so than any other religious denomination I've seen.
Christian Science
Scientology

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Urban Legends Reference Pages

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.7.2