snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » GOD BLESS AMERICA (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: GOD BLESS AMERICA
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Will we still be the Country of choice...
Not if you deny people the choice to, say, sing the national anthem in another language. Hell, you RE-WROTE THE WORDS to ours and tried to pass if off as one of your own songs...

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:
quote:
Will we still be the Country of choice...
Not if you deny people the choice to, say, sing the national anthem in another language. Hell, you RE-WROTE THE WORDS to ours and tried to pass if off as one of your own songs...
Apparently this is the country of choice because you have the choice to do what you're told or get out.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um... God is multilingual.

Purple--lest we forget that whole Tower of Babel thing--Iguana

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Que? [Big Grin]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
.snip
quote:
.. they want
to sing OUR National Anthem in Spanish...

Its like those deaf people that want to sign the national anthem - its unnatural!

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Cole
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Cole   E-mail Michael Cole   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1958Fury:
Heh, I got that one last week. I even ranted about it in my MySpace blog.

Just read your blog, but can't comment there - don't want to register. But two minor points...

quote:
To put his name on money, the root of all evil?
It is the love of money that is the root of all evil, not money itself.

But secondly, the point is moot, as your national motto is "E Pluribus Unum", not "In God We Trust". Hell, I'm a foreigner, and I know that.

--------------------
Q. What's the difference between a Computer saleman and a Used Car Salesman?
A. The Used Car Salesman knows when he is lying.

Posts: 421 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DOYC forbid that people should actually be able to sing a song that holds meaning for them in the language they think in.

They call it "The land of the free and the home of the brave," but they treat it like "The homeland of those who seek to control others out of fear."

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nowhere did they sing it in Italian,
Japanese, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German, Portuguese, Greek, French, or any other language because of immigration.

...except they did. In the US. In German. At least a translation was published in 1861, and I'll assume people who bought it intended to sing it.

Plus, if I were to write a froth-at-the-mouth chain mail about the US anthem, I'd petition to replace it with something that your average person can sing, not about the fact that it can be sung in different languages. [Big Grin]

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I received this for the SECOND time today, but from a different person. It had this second part tacked onto the end:

quote:
This says it all! This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper. He
did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However...... the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming
to America. Our population is almost entirely made up
of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a
few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty
and our national identity.
As Americans.....we have our own culture, our own
society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Greek, Polish, Italian, French, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society,
learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not
some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women.......on Christian principles............. founded this nation..... and
this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home.........because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle
Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to
another part of this planet We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care
how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First
Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so! But once you are done complaining....... Whining...... and griping.......about our flag......our pledge......our national motto.......or our way of life...I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other Great American Freedom....

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, dis, peux-tu voir aux premières lueurs de l'aube
Ce que nous acclamions si fièrement aux dernières lueurs du crépuscule ?
Ce que, avec ses larges rayures et ses brillantes étoiles, pendant le combat périlleux,
par-dessus les remparts, nous regardions flotter si vaillamment ?
Et les éclats rouges des fusées, les bombes éclatant dans l'air,
Prouvaient au travers de la nuit que notre drapeau était toujours là.
Oh, dis, est-ce que cette bannière parsemée d'étoiles flotte toujours,
Par-dessus la terre des hommes libres, et la patrie des hommes braves ?

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BLASPHEMY!

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
Oh, dis, peux-tu voir aux premières lueurs de l'aube
Ce que nous acclamions si fièrement aux dernières lueurs du crépuscule ?
Ce que, avec ses larges rayures et ses brillantes étoiles, pendant le combat périlleux,
par-dessus les remparts, nous regardions flotter si vaillamment ?
Et les éclats rouges des fusées, les bombes éclatant dans l'air,
Prouvaient au travers de la nuit que notre drapeau était toujours là.
Oh, dis, est-ce que cette bannière parsemée d'étoiles flotte toujours,
Par-dessus la terre des hommes libres, et la patrie des hommes braves ?

French? FRENCH! You translated the NATIONAL ANTHEM into the language of the "cheese eating surrender monkeys"? A nation so badly maligned by its refusal to participate in or sanction the Iraq war some loonies started calling McDonald's chips "Freedom Fries" ? And you translated the NATIONAL ANTHEM into THAT language?

INTO FRENCH?! FRENCH?11

Bravo!

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To be honest, it's a translation I found on Wikipedia, and it's a wee too litteral for my taste. Personally, I'd write :

Dis-moi, aperçois-tu aux premières lueurs de l'aube
Ce que nous acclamions si fièrement aux derniers rayons du soir ?
L'emblème aux larges rayures et aux brillantes étoiles
Qui au coeur du périlleux combat flottait vaillamment sur nos ramparts ?
Dans la lueur rouge des fusées, les bombes éclatant dans l'air,
Témoignaient dans la nuit que notre drapeau malgré tout demeurait.
Dis-moi, la bannière étoilée flotte-t-elle encore
Sur la terre des hommes libres, et la patrie des braves ?

It sounds better.

Major "La Fayette, nous voilà" D.Saster.

--------------------

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

... and I can do even worse (although it's a very respectful translation) :

Oh beau pays aux vastes cieux
Aux vagues ambrées de blé
Toi dont les cimes empourprées
Dominent les plaines fertiles

Amérique ! Amérique !
Sur toi Dieu a répandu sa grâce
Qu'Il couronne ta fraternité
D'océan à océan.

Oh beau pays dont le rêve patriote
Voit par-delà les années
Scintiller tes cités d'albâtre
Jamais ternies par les larmes humaines

Amérique ! Amérique !
Sur toi Dieu a répandu sa grâce
Qu'Il couronne ta fraternité
D'océan à océan.

BTW, being from a country with four national languages and of course four versions of the national anthem, I find the OP quite amusing.

--------------------

Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The second one* has been around for a while: 2001, 2002, 2002 (again), 2004, and 2006-a-chow.

ETA: *The second semi-coherent rant, not the second translation of the US national anthem.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Cole:
But secondly, the point is moot, as your national motto is "E Pluribus Unum", not "In God We Trust". Hell, I'm a foreigner, and I know that.

Had you written this prior to 1956, you would be right: US Treasury page on In God We Trust

quote:
July 30
1956 -- The President signed a Joint Resolution declaring that the motto In God We Trust would be the national motto

(The quote is from a linked page)

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So if the motto reflects the views of the founders, then the USA was founded in 1956? I always thought it was older than that.

I never quite get this idea that the founders of the USA obviously wanted it to be a Christian nation with God mentioned in all its mottoes and slogans. If that's the case, then it does seem rather an oversight that they didn't actually say so. In fact, it looks very much as though they deliberately didn't say so, which is odd, because in other respects they were quite articulate and intelligent. It's a good thing the McCarthy lot were around to clarify their intentions and correct their mistakes.

How can it "not be a Christian slogan" when the next sentence argues that it was adopted to reflect the Christian ideals of the founders?

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Greek, Polish, Italian, French, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
Right. So when you go to the rodeo to see the lasso competition, be sure they only speak English. And later, when you go out for some dim sum, be sure they only speak English. If you go to IKEA to buy a futon, be sure they only speak English. And when you go to vote in our democracy, be sure they only speak English. After all, it is the lingua franca of the world. To speak any other language than English should be verboten.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not
some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women.......on Christian principles............. founded this nation

Leaving aside the "Were the founding fathers of America actually Christian?" debate... contradict yourself much? Cuz, I figured that founding a country on Christian principles is a pretty political act, and America is a fairly right wing place (even the Democrats and liberals) by international standards.

BringThe "You are free to do as we tell you! You are free to do as we tell you!" Noise

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GenYus, it's just that we don't want those people down in the barrio contaminating our language. Imagine this: it's a Friday night, and you're at Finale, treating your fiancee to a smorgasboard of cappuccinos and chocolate cakes a la mode, when suddenly you hear the chef mangling the English language in front of an impressionable kindergartner. Remember, we have OUR OWN LANGUAGE (see black roses' post!) and we ain't much for evolution, neither!

Esprise "too bad most of us can't speak it properly" Me

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have to mistreat the language of glory and heroes that way? It's smörgåsbord for Ogg's sake!

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to learn the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish my first year of high school (in Spanish class). Ironically, that was the only time I've actually said the Pledge since fourth grade, when I learned what all the words meant and was horrified that adults were making children swear to something none of us understood.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My high school required the same thing, UrbanRenewal.

People need to cut immigrants a little slack. Learning a language takes time and effort. I feel like it's common sense to at least learn a few words of the language if you go to another country- but that goes for American tourists as well. It felt really awkward for me to be in France and Italy and not know the language. Still, it takes time to become fluent, so give the immigrants a break. They're probably trying harder than you think.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how many conservatives who get their panties in a twist over concessions made to non-English-speaking U.S. residents have actually tried learning a second language.

Esprise "took me seven years to become remotely proficient in Spanish" Me

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
I wonder how many conservatives who get their panties in a twist over concessions made to non-English-speaking U.S. residents have actually tried learning a second language.

Esprise "took me seven years to become remotely proficient in Spanish" Me

Pshaw. All politicans speak a second language... ENGLISH. Cause we all know that when God destroyed the tower of Babel he sent those who spoke babble to Washington.

Okay, [fish] me now

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dropbear:
...French? FRENCH! You translated the NATIONAL ANTHEM into the language of the "cheese eating surrender monkeys"? A nation so badly maligned by its refusal to participate in or sanction the Iraq war some loonies started calling McDonald's chips "Freedom Fries" ? And you translated the NATIONAL ANTHEM into THAT language?

INTO FRENCH?! FRENCH?!!

Bravo!

Dropbear

It's my understanding that Canada's National Hymn, "O Canada," was originally written in French(!!), and was composed by a French-Canadian, by name Calixa Lavallee.

As if that weren't enough, the English lyrics to "O Canada" in common used are nowhere close to the original French such of Judge Armande-Adolphe Routhier, notwithstanding one Toronto song publisher's attempt in this respect, vintage 1905:
quote:

O Canada! Our fathers' land of old!
Thy brow is crown'd with leaves of red and gold!
From beneath the shade of the Holy Cross,
Thy children own their birth!
No stains thy glorious annals gloss,
Since Valour own their hearth!
A-mighty G-d! On Thee we call:
Defend our rights, forfend this nation's thrall;
Defend our rights, forfend this nation's thrall!

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this site , O Canada was originally written in French and this is a closer translation of the original French lyric

O Canada! Land of our forefathers
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As is thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.
Ch.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Star-Spangled Banner, Babelfished into French and back into English:

quote:
Can Ah, word see you
by the first light of the paddle
what so much proudly we hailed
with the last to shine of the twilight?
With which broad lines and luminous holds
the first role by the perilous combat,
O' er the ramparts which we observed
let us run so much valiantly?
And the red gleam of the rocket,
the bombs bursting in air,
provided evidence by the night
that our flag was always there.
Does Ah, word make that banner however vague
O' er to hold the first role-spangled the ground of free
and the house of facing?

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave me birth;
May I rest my eyes on fleecy skies
And the cool green hills of earth.

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by black roses 19:
It was written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it
was written.

Including all the verses! From memory! You have them all memorized, right?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, seeing as how Key stole the tune outright from an old English drinking song...I say we make the author of this tripe look up all those verses and memorise them.

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention the fact that it's only been our national anthem since 1931.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pbft. We're always ripping off the British with our patriotic tunes. What about "My Country Tis of Thee", A.K.A. "God Save the King/Queen"?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shoebox:
Actually, seeing as how Key stole the tune outright from an old English drinking song...

If I recall correctly, Key had nothing to do with setting the words to the music. He just wrote it as a poem.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the Smithsonian's website:

quote:
Francis Scott Key first published his impressions of the Fort McHenry victory as a broadside poem, with a note that it should be sung to the popular British melody "To Anacreon in Heaven."
Anyway, since it's the words at issue here and not the music, it's a moot point. I just really, really like the idea of watching the glurge author try to rationalise lines like:

I'll trim the young dogs,
For thus daring to twine
The Myrtle of Venus
With Bacchus' Vine."

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages