snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Interesting Geography

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting Geography
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*I did a quick here & there search on the main site but nothing. I put this here instead of a "trivia" twist b/c the last time I did it wasn't so good. I recieved this in my inbox & was wondering if anything is "true"...*

INTERESTING GEOGRAPHY (I cannot guarantee any or all of the following is fact...Nevertheless, It's interesting stuff)

More than half of the coastline of the entire United States is in Alaska.

The Amazon rainforest produces more than 20% the world's oxygen supply. The Amazon River pushes so much water into the Atlantic Ocean that, more than one hundred miles at sea off the mouth of the river, one can dip fresh water out of the ocean. The volume of water in the Amazon river is greater than the next eight largest rivers in the world combined and three times the flow of all rivers in the United States.

Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country. Ninety percent of the world's ice covers Antarctica. This ice also represents seventy percent of all the fresh water in the world. As strange as it sounds, however, Antarctica is essentially a desert. The average yearly total precipitation is about two inches although covered with ice (all but 0.4% of it that is), Antarcti ca is the driest place on the planet, with an absolute humidity lower than the Gobi desert.

Brazil got its name from the nut, not the other way around.

Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined. Canada is an Indian word meaning "Big Village."

Next to Warsaw, Chicago has the largest Polish population in the world.

Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, carries the designation M-1, named so because it was the first paved road anywhere.

Damascus, Syria, was flourishing a couple of thousand years before Rome was founded in 753 BC, making it the oldest continuously inhabited city in existence.

Istanbul, Turkey, is the only city in the world located on two continents.

Los Angeles's full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula--and can be abbr eviated to 3.63% of its size: L.A.

The term "The Big Apple" was coined by touring jazz musicians of the 1930's who used the slang _expression "apple" for any town or city. Therefore, to play New York City is to play the big time - The Big Apple. There are more Irish in New York City than in Dublin, Ireland; more Italians in New York City than in Rome, Italy; and more Jews in New York City than in Tel Aviv, Israel.

There are no natural lakes in the state of Ohio, every one is manmade.

The smallest island with country status is Pitcairn in Polynesia, at just 1.75 sq. Miles/4,53 sq. km.

The first city to reach a population of 1 million people was Rome, Italy in 133 B. C. There is a city called Rome on every continent.

Siberia contains more than 25% of the world's forests.

The smallest sovereign entity in the world is the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (S.M.O.M.); it is located in the city of Rome, Italy, has an area of two tennis courts, and as of 2001 has a population of 80, 20 less people than the Vatican. It is a sovereign entity under international law, just as the Vatican is.

In the Sahara Desert, there is a town named Tidikelt, which did not receive a drop of rain for ten years. Technically though, the driest place on earth is in the valleys of the Antarctic near Ross Island. There has been no rainfall there for two million years.

Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits.'

St. Paul, Minnesota, was originally called Pig's Eye after a man named Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant who set up the first business there.

Chances that a road is unpaved in the U.S.A.: 1%, in Canada: 75%

The deepest hole ever made in the world is in ;Texas. It is as deep as 20 empire state buildings but only 3 inches wide.

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one-mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

The water of Angel Falls (the world's highest) in Venezuela drops 3,212 feet (979 meters). They are 15 times higher than Niagara Falls.

Wasn't it fun to learn something new today?????????????????

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

True:

Alaska about 55,000 km of tidal shoreline.
The US has about 89,000 total.

6,600, and 12,000 respecitvaly for coastline.

quote:

Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country.

False. Contries have claims to antartica, it is not administered in the same sense as other places though, but still "owned" in some senses of the word.

quote:

Ninety percent of the world's ice covers Antarctica.

Maybe by volume, but not by area.

quote:

This ice also represents seventy percent of all the fresh water in the world.

Technically Ice is not fresh water for either reason:
-Its not liquid water
-or, because of the purity of glacial ice, it is technically "spring water" and not fresh water in the lakes and rivers sense.

quote:

As strange as it sounds, however, Antarctica is essentially a desert. The average yearly total precipitation is about two inches

quote:

although covered with ice (all but 0.4% of it that is), Antarcti ca is the driest place on the planet, with an absolute humidity lower than the Gobi desert.

I thought we measure driest in relative humidity.
2 inches of precipitation a year is far from being the driest, as well as i don't think it would be that dry during the summer. (Ice does sublime in windy conditions, that's what causes freezer burn)

quote:

Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined.

Probably, the Laurentian Shield alone might make that statistics. But i'm willing to bet that there isn't an accurate count.

quote:

Canada is an Indian word meaning "Big Village."

Or Kanata...

quote:
Umm, Lake Eerie?

quote:

Technically though, the driest place on earth is in the valleys of the Antarctic near Ross Island. There has been no rainfall there for two million years.

I don't see how this can be proven.
Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TeacherLady
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 203 posted      Profile for TeacherLady         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
*I did a quick here & there search on the main site but nothing. I put this here instead of a "trivia" twist b/c the last time I did it wasn't so good. I recieved this in my inbox & was wondering if anything is "true"...*

Ok...as a Geography teacher, I'm gonna do my best to answer as many of these as I can.

quote:
INTERESTING GEOGRAPHY (I cannot guarantee any or all of the following is fact...Nevertheless, It's interesting stuff)

Not sure about that, but it sounds about right.

quote:
The Amazon rainforest produces more than 20% the world's oxygen supply. The Amazon River pushes so much water into the Atlantic Ocean that, more than one hundred miles at sea off the mouth of the river, one can dip fresh water out of the ocean. The volume of water in the Amazon river is greater than the next eight largest rivers in the world combined and three times the flow of all rivers in the United States.
Not sure about the oxygen supply or having more volume than the next 8, but the 100 miles out is true. My sources actually have it closer to 200 miles. At its widest point the Amazon is over 40 miles across.

quote:
True

quote:
Ninety percent of the world's ice covers Antarctica. This ice also represents seventy percent of all the fresh water in the world.
True as far as I know.

quote:
As strange as it sounds, however, Antarctica is essentially a desert. The average yearly total precipitation is about two inches although covered with ice (all but 0.4% of it that is), Antarctica is the driest place on the planet, with an absolute humidity lower than the Gobi desert.
True

quote:
Not sure

quote:
Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined. Canada is an Indian word meaning "Big Village."
I don't know about this one. I thought Finland had more lakes. Pretty sure that's what the word Canada means.

quote:
Next to Warsaw, Chicago has the largest Polish population in the world.

Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, carries the designation M-1, named so because it was the first paved road anywhere.

Don't know about these 2.

quote:
Damascus, Syria, was flourishing a couple of thousand years before Rome was founded in 753 BC, making it the oldest continuously inhabited city in existence.
True...Damascus has been inhabited for more than 4000 continuous years.

quote:
I don't know if this is right. I could swear there are cities on the Sinai peninsula that are in both Africa and Asia.

quote:
Los Angeles's full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula--and can be abbr eviated to 3.63% of its size: L.A.
True

quote:
The term "The Big Apple" was coined by touring jazz musicians of the 1930's who used the slang _expression "apple" for any town or city. Therefore, to play New York City is to play the big time - The Big Apple. There are more Irish in New York City than in Dublin, Ireland; more Italians in New York City than in Rome, Italy; and more Jews in New York City than in Tel Aviv, Israel.
Not sure about all that, but it sure sounds good!

quote:
Well, Ohio borders Lake Erie. That one is definately NOT man made! There are more than 2500 lakes in Ohio. 20 of them are glacial lakes formed during the last ice age

quote:
The smallest island with country status is Pitcairn in Polynesia, at just 1.75 sq. Miles/4,53 sq. km.
Not a country...it's a territory of Great Britain.

quote:
The first city to reach a population of 1 million people was Rome, Italy in 133 B. C. There is a city called Rome on every continent.
I thought it was London, but I could be wrong. Sounds right about a Rome on each continent...except Antarctica.

quote:
Siberia contains more than 25% of the world's forests.
True and false...it is the largest evergreen forest in the world, but I don't think it is 25% of all forests. I actually think it's more.

quote:
The smallest sovereign entity in the world is the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (S.M.O.M.); it is located in the city of Rome, Italy, has an area of two tennis courts, and as of 2001 has a population of 80, 20 less people than the Vatican. It is a sovereign entity under international law, just as the Vatican is.
I can find no official information about this. It is not listed in any Geography reference materials I have access to.

quote:
In the Sahara Desert, there is a town named Tidikelt, which did not receive a drop of rain for ten years. Technically though, the driest place on earth is in the valleys of the Antarctic near Ross Island. There has been no rainfall there for two million years.
I believe there are towns in the Sahara that have not received any rain in 10 years, but the Atacama Desert in South America had a period of over 300 years without any rain. Antarctica is the driest place, but I don't know about the 2 million years part.

quote:
Can't find any info about this.

quote:
St. Paul, Minnesota, was originally called Pig's Eye after a man named Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant who set up the first business there.

Chances that a road is unpaved in the U.S.A.: 1%, in Canada: 75%

The deepest hole ever made in the world is in ;Texas. It is as deep as 20 empire state buildings but only 3 inches wide.

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one-mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

Don't know about any of these. Could look them up, but...donwanna!

quote:
The water of Angel Falls (the world's highest) in Venezuela drops 3,212 feet (979 meters). They are 15 times higher than Niagara Falls.
True. It is the highest uninterrupted waterfall in the world. It was named for Jimmy Angel, a pilot who discovered them, not for their angelic appearance. Most of the water in the falls vaporizes before it hits the ground.

quote:
Wasn't it fun to learn something new today?????????????????

I love Geography!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
KB

It is not enough to have a good mind;
the main thing is to use it well.
-Rene Descartes

Posts: 12 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, carries the designation M-1, named so because it was the first paved road anywhere
I know that some people in the US can be a tad, shall we say, self-referential but that statement is truly astonishing.

The Egyptians and Romans both had paved roads as did many other early civilisations.

Dropbear

Edited to clarify my initial statement

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding Istanbul being on two continents; I don't believe Europe and Asia are two continents, but one, Eurasia.

If we are talking large land masses, as opposed to tectonic plates and such, then the idea that Eurasia is two continents is merely a political construct.

Though North and South America are joined, and Africa to "Asia Minor," it's only by a little, unlike the huge supposed boundary between Europe and Asia.

The notion that Europe and Asia are separate continents has been a pet peeve of mine since childhood.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In what language? In Spanish, wouldn't it be "la terra de conejos"? That doesn't sound anything like "España."

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seltaeb
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seltaeb     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not according to Snopes:

Landing of Hope and Glory

quote:
David Letterman said this exact same thing on his show tonight as a joke, presented as a "fact" from "Gary", Paul's "friend" at the "Federal Bureau of Misc. Information".
Posts: 109 | From: Lenexa, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's just one possible origin of the phrase. As per Cecil Adams, here is another popular explanation.

And AFAIK, the statistics of "there are more XXXX in NYC than in YYYY" sound plausible (if you are willing to consider a few statistical inconsistencies and assuming you define Irish/Italian/etc, to include ethnic descendants.)

Population figures from Wikipedia:

Dublin: 505,739 (1,661,185 for the metropolitan area)
Rome: 2.5 Million (3.8 million for the metropolitan area)
Tel Aviv: 379,000 (2.9 million for the metropolitan area) (Tel Aviv is 96.1% Jewish.)
New York City: 8.2 million (18.7 million for the metropolitan area)

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The world's deepest hole is apparently in Russia.

Spain is possibly derived from the word rabbit.

Brazil was named after the wood rather than the nut.

ETA: If you believe the British tabloids, the UK currently has a larger population of Poles than Warsaw, although the official number is about 1/4 million.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I know Toronto is "big village", not Canada. Canada is just a village.

However, the use of village here is quite a bit of a stretch. I highly doubt that First Nations laguages had the word "metropolis" at the time the name has been created.

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Amazon rainforest produces more than 20% the world's oxygen supply.
Highly disputed. True, all those trees produce a lot of oxygen, but other processes, such as the decomposition of organic matter, take up a lot again. The netto effect is disputed by scientists.

quote:
Chile not only claims part of it, it has even founded a small permanent settlement on the Peninsula.

quote:
Meaning anywhere in the USA?

quote:
Firstly, it depends on whether you consider Europe and Asia two continents or two parts of the single continent of Eurasia. (The Dutch language makes a distinction here which aparently doesn’t exist in English)

Accepting Europe and Asia as two different continents, then part of the border would be the course of the Ural river. There are cities, such as Magnitogorsk, straddling both sides of the river, and thus both Europe and Asia.

Another part of the border would be the Caucasus mountains. The city of Baku is located at the eastern tip of the mountain chain, where it ends in the Caspian sea. Thus it too straddles both Europe and Asia.

quote:
This has been discussed and proven wrong in a previous thread .

quote:
The smallest island with country status is Pitcairn in Polynesia
Pitcairn is a British Overseas Territory, not a souvereign state.

quote:
There is a city called Rome on every continent.
Except Antartica of course. Is there a Roma/Rome in Asia or has Eurasia reunited again?

quote:
The smallest sovereign entity in the world is the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (S.M.O.M.) [...] It is a sovereign entity under international law, just as the Vatican is.
The Vatican is a sovereign state, the SMOM isn’t. I’m not sure what “sovereign entity” is supposed to mean here.

quote:
Technically though, the driest place on earth is in the valleys of the Antarctic near Ross Island. There has been no rainfall there for two million years.
But I’m sure there has been some snowfall. Depends on your definition of “dry”.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, there are a few neutral zones throughout the world, plus several undefined or poorly defined borders.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regards ownership of Antarctica, Chile, Argentina and the UK all claim ownership over the peninsular, and none of these claims are widely recognised. Certainly various countries have set up bases and made territorial claims, I think it is fair to say that by a certain definition, Antarctica isn't owned by anyone.
Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
quote:

No, there are a few neutral zones throughout the world, plus several undefined or poorly defined borders.
Saudi Arabia, for instance, has very poorly defined borders, with huge disputed territories. And then there are islands such as the Spratly islands in the South China sea, with claims by several countries, none internationally recognized. The difference with Antarctica is that most countries worldwide agree that it should remain ownerless as a matter of principle.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

If there are other bits of land, no matter how small, that are not 'owned' by any specific country, then this is false. It would appear from previous comments that there are.

Lake Eerie ... hmm well.. Something that borders something else, is not generally said to be IN that something. The Tasman Sea borders New Zealand. The Tasman Sea is not IN New Zealand. Ergo, Lake Eerie does not make this statement false, although it is kind of misleading. It is relatively common use of English to say it's "in" Ohio if you can get there inside Ohio without leaving state borders. But technically, since there are parts of the lake that are quite clearly not in Ohio, Lake Eerie is not "in" Ohio.

If the root of the word Hispania is related to rabbits, the accurate meaning lost to time, then it is true to say that "Spain" is derived from rabbits in some way. But "Spain literally means" is another concept altogether. If there is no language in which "Land of Rabbits" translates to a single word spelled s-p-a-i-n, then the statement is false.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TeacherLady
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 203 posted      Profile for TeacherLady         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:

Lake Eerie ... hmm well.. Something that borders something else, is not generally said to be IN that something. The Tasman Sea borders New Zealand. The Tasman Sea is not IN New Zealand. Ergo, Lake Eerie does not make this statement false, although it is kind of misleading. It is relatively common use of English to say it's "in" Ohio if you can get there inside Ohio without leaving state borders. But technically, since there are parts of the lake that are quite clearly not in Ohio, Lake Eerie is not "in" Ohio.

[/QB]

But the maritime border of a place extend into the body of water. New Zealand's border extends into the Tasman Sea. Part of the Tasman Sea "belongs" to New Zealand. Of course, the whole sea is not "in" New Zealand, but for Geographic purposes it is considered a body of water of New Zealand.

Ohio's maritime border extends into Lake Erie. I can get to Lake Erie without leaving the state of Ohio. It is considered a body of water of Ohio.

And for the purpose of argument, even if we forget about Lake Erie, there are at least 20 lakes in Ohio that are more than 10,000 years old, so that would not make them man-made. I didn't have time to look up each of the 2,500 lakes that exist in Ohio to find which ones are man-made and which are natural, but just found a quick blurb about the glacial lakes there. [Cool]

--------------------
KB

It is not enough to have a good mind;
the main thing is to use it well.
-Rene Descartes

Posts: 12 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
20 Empire State Buildings equates to just under 9 km. There is a hole in the Kola Peninsula of Russia that is over 12 km deep and is claimed to be the deepest hole ever drilled.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are more Irish in New York City than in Dublin, Ireland; more Italians in New York City than in Rome, Italy; and more Jews in New York City than in Tel Aviv, Israel.
Using the population figures from Wikipedia that asnakeny provided, and date from the U.S. Census Bureau: City figures only for Dublin and Roma comparison. Metro area for Tel Aviv.

Dublin: 505,739
New Yorkers claiming some Irish ancestry: 421,646

Rome: 2.5 Million.
New Yorkers claiming some Italian ancestry: 692,739.

The Census Bureau does not track religion. But a study by Judiasm online puts the Tel Aviv metro area as having the most Jews, with 2.5 million. It says the New York metro area has 1.97 million Jews.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:
There are more Irish in New York City than in Dublin, Ireland; more Italians in New York City than in Rome, Italy; and more Jews in New York City than in Tel Aviv, Israel.
Using the population figures from Wikipedia that asnakeny provided, and date from the U.S. Census Bureau: City figures only for Dublin and Roma comparison. Metro area for Tel Aviv.

Dublin: 505,739
New Yorkers claiming some Irish ancestry: 421,646

Rome: 2.5 Million.
New Yorkers claiming some Italian ancestry: 692,739.

The Census Bureau does not track religion. But a study by Judiasm online puts the Tel Aviv metro area as having the most Jews, with 2.5 million. It says the New York metro area has 1.97 million Jews.

Pogue

Just an aside, but I bet there's a possibility of double-counting in New York too. I wonder how many Jewish-Irish-Italian Americans live in NY?
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrekkerScout:
quote:
20 Empire State Buildings equates to just under 9 km. There is a hole in the Kola Peninsula of Russia that is over 12 km deep and is claimed to be the deepest hole ever drilled.
Wasn't that the one where were heard the voices of the damned?
(weekly world news)

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no city called Rome in Australia. There is a town called Roma in Queensland. Is that close enough?

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
Just an aside, but I bet there's a possibility of double-counting in New York too. I wonder how many Jewish-Irish-Italian Americans live in NY?

The Census Bureau says that many people give two or more ancestories. And it's self-reporting, so someone five generations removed from Ireland can call himself Irish.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages