snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Find the Error

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Find the Error
The Presenter
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 302 posted      Profile for The Presenter   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Presenter       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Myspace bulletin:

quote:
Find whats wrong here...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

Did you know that 80% of Stanford students could not find the error above? Repost this with the title "Find the Error", and when you click Post Bulletin, the answer will show**Real Obvious

First of all, shoot the answer if you're so damn clever.

But second, is it true that 80% of Stanford students couldn't do this? Was this quiz even given to Standford students?

-Ralphy

--------------------
WarmMilkComics.com

Posts: 42 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it a zero instead of an O? If that's not it, then I don't know what it could be.

And dunno about Stanford.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
Is it a zero instead of an O? If that's not it, then I don't know what it could be.

I suppose. Is is it a 0 instead of an O?

Yep.

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Find what's wrong here.... The apostrophe in "what's" is missing. You are diverted to the alphabet to cover up for the error in the first sentence....

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting... I totally missed the missing apostrophe. But to be fair, that's because I get so many emails that look like they were written by a 5 year old that I tend to gloss over minor typos.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can spot an apostrophe error at fifty paces, but I was misled by the thread title, "Find the Alphabet Error."
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't have spotted the "whats" error, but I can spot a misplaced zero at 2O paces.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The M is upside down and in the W's place, and vice versa.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
I wouldn't have spotted the "whats" error, but I can spot a misplaced zero at 2O paces.

[lol]
Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a 0 instead of an O. But I'm not sure what the real point is. The two are expressed the same, we've just developed fonts and other conventions to make them different. If 100% of the people missed it I'm not sue why it matters.

Beach...unless they are trying to type O into a numeric-only field...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The error is in the requested "Find the Error" title. It suggests a singular error when there are multiple errors.

The first error is posting that thing in the first place.

The second is the missing apostrophe.

The third is the zero in place of the "O".

The fourth is that this "test" was given to Stanford students. They've copied that from another "spot the obvious, miss the subtle" test that circulates.

Since I'm not familiar with MySpace, I'm unsure about the fifth one. Namely, that unless MySpace has some kind of grammar/spell check (and judging by some of the drivel I've seen I doubt it does) then it won't show the answer.

Any other errors that I've missed?

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from the zero and the missing apostrophe (which I also missed, partly because of the thread title), they've also missed out the clause "but a class of four-year-olds all spotted it immediately" after the part about Stanford students.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A musician friend of mine likes to say "There are three kinds of people in the world: Those who understand arithmetic and those who don't".

Dog Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The obvious error is that the Roman alphabet is horizontal, not vertical.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm intrigued by the "80% of Stanford Students" thing. Did someone really test all the students at Stanford on this? Or even a representative sample? Or... any of them at all?

I think this is one of the 73.2% of statistics that are made up on the spot.

ETA: 100% of people using my computer at this time completely missed that this had already been pointed out by several other posters.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Easy. They forgot the Å, Ä and Ö at the end. Stupid non-Swedish Stanfordians...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tootsie, YOMANK! 100% of the people using my computer at this time think that since this was posted on MySpace, the answer, if given, would not have included the missing apostrophe. N'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:
A musician friend of mine likes to say "There are three kinds of people in the world: Those who understand arithmetic and those who don't".

Dog Friendly

I like: There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Presenter
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Presenter   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Presenter       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzkiller:
I can spot an apostrophe error at fifty paces, but I was misled by the thread title, "Find the Alphabet Error."

Good point. The bulletin is just titled "find the error." I wasn't sure what to title the thread and I didn't know the riddle answer when I made it.

And I also agree with the person that pointed out how emails have so many errors that you tend to gloss over things like that. I'm not too impressed with this puzzle.

-Ralphy

--------------------
WarmMilkComics.com

Posts: 42 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mindy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mindy   Author's Homepage   E-mail mindy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.layoutjunk.com/i1i1i1i1i.php

I just found this !! It is the zero thing

Posts: 29 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Find whats wrong here...
It has three periods instead of an ellipsis "…"

And note the word "here," (not below) since the periods are closer to here than any other mistake…

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no error. Well, the apostrophe is, and the ellipses, but none in the list.

Without a statement to the effect that the list is supposed to be the alphabet, it is simply a collection of 25 letters and one number. Without knowing what it's "supposed" to be, we can't know how it's "in error" for that target layout.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you suppose those Stanford students couldn't spot the error? Do you think it might be because people are handing them piles of pointless busywork when they have neither the time nor the ambition to play unnecesary kiddie games?

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
Why do you suppose those Stanford students couldn't spot the error? Do you think it might be because people are handing them piles of pointless busywork when they have neither the time nor the ambition to play unnecesary kiddie games?

...My experience and interactions with Ivy League students suggests they have an overwhelming preference for unnecessary kiddie games. Overrated punks!

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, well first of all, Stanford is not in the Ivy League. But still, everyone loves mindless games, especially college students. It's called avoidance behavior.

Second of all, this is pretty much the dumbest thing ever. Once I hear myspace, I automatically assume "internet punctuation." I'm pretty sure anyone would notice this on, say, a paper they were about to hand in.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dog Friendly

There are actually 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rats, you caught one of my mindless habits: Referring to all prestigious schools as Ivy League. Another error in the thread! Look out!

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
quote:

Dog Friendly

There are actually 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Methinks you missed the post of GenYus. [lol] You probably also missed "Binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11."
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
Rats, you caught one of my mindless habits: Referring to all prestigious schools as Ivy League. Another error in the thread! Look out!

Who is this "Rats" to whom you spake? [Confused]

--------------------

I'mNotDedalus

...You know, "Rats!" as in "Damn it!" or "Skittles in the Sink!" or "I'm pregnant!"

(Not a reference to anyone, but the post was a reply to El Camino's superior scan)

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're pregnant? Man, you're going to be rich. Rich, I tell you! Who do you want to play you in the movie of your life? IMO, Hugh Jackman would be good.

--------------------

El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the role is already cast to the one and only Arnold.
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Camino:

The little kid from "Diff'rent Strokes"?????

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
quote:
Originally posted by El Camino:

The little kid from "Diff'rent Strokes"?????
No the one and only Arnold.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages