snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Steve Irwin Halloween costume

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steve Irwin Halloween costume
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I received this email. Apparently the hot costume this halloween
is a safari outfit complete with stingray. I thought I would pass it
along.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Mark Rehling"
> Date: October 20, 2006 12:20:40 PM PDT
> To: "Aquaticinfo"
> Subject: Aquaticinfo: In the Hmmm department. . .
> Reply-To: "Aquatic Information Listserve"
>
> I just had a conversation with the woman who runs our giftshop here at
work. Apparently there has been a run on the stuffed animal stingrays
along with the kid size zookeeper outfits. Folks intend to sew the rays
to the front and send the kids out on Halloween as Steve Irwin. Man
that's harsh.
>
> Ironicly, the womans name is Barb. (honest truth)
>
> Best,
>
> Mark
>
>
> Mark Rehling
> Aquarium Biologist
> Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
> 3900 Wildlife Way
> Cleveland, OH 44109
> 216-661-6500 ext 4485
>

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember back in October of 2001, when Anthrax being sent through the US mail was all the rage, I saw a lot of people dressing up as postal carriers and covering themselves in baby powder of flour for Halloween. It never ceases to amaze me.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, Edwina Currie in 1989, then Health Minister in the UK Government, exaggerated a salmonella scare and lost her job. Two weeks later at Halloween, there were loads of people dressed as chicks carrying eggs dubbed Eggwina.

If Steve's looking down, I'm sure he'd be chuckling, and if he's not, tell him to go over here [Wink]

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can buy the costume idea (especially considering in came up in the Halloween thread in SLC), but I can't see it for kids. I think kids who are familiar enough with Steve Irwin to know how he died would probably be at least a little upset by this. I like the idea for adults, though.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve Irwin might've gotten a chuckle or two out of it. I'm not sure why dark humour costumes are so popular. My ex wanted to go for hallowe'en as a rape victim once [Eek!] Luckily for her it was before she met me, or she would have been my ex faster.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is an undrelying defense mechanism. If we can laugh at what we are afraid of, the thing/disease/event loses a bit of its power. Halloween is the perfect time to confront these fears and explore them.

Also, some people (like myself) just have a dark and twisted sense of humor. It's what you're left with when you've outgrown or moved away from Carrot Top (or most formula sit coms) brand of humor.

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a dark sense of humour, too. Very dark. I think the Steve Irwin costume is very funny, actually. What I wouldn't do is go out in public like that, because there are always people who do not realize that I am merely poking fun at something, and they get all riled up. And that just ruins your night.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
I remember back in October of 2001, when Anthrax being sent through the US mail was all the rage, I saw a lot of people dressing up as postal carriers and covering themselves in baby powder of flour for Halloween. It never ceases to amaze me.

I saw a college student in Boulder wearing a Catholic Priest outfit with a cabbage patch kid hanging from his crotch. Jeez, common decency people...

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Illuminatus:
quote:

I saw a college student in Boulder wearing a Catholic Priest outfit with a cabbage patch kid hanging from his crotch. Jeez, common decency people...
I guess it was worng of me to laugh out loud when I read that then ?

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Girl   E-mail Aussie Girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lawgiver:
quote:
quote:

You are a terrible, terrible person. But you're in good company. [Wink] [lol]

--------------------
You have just been involved in a drive-by posting.

Posts: 204 | From: CQ, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was a joke in last night's South Park. Satan threw a Halloween party, and there was a guy in a Steve Irwin costume.
You can probably guess the rather obvious punchline here.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That South Park wasn't as good as the others this season. They also covered the priest angle. A number of priests (supposed to be real clergy, as opposed to people dressed up for Satan's party) had naked little boys on leashes.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snoozn:
That South Park wasn't as good as the others this season. They also covered the priest angle. A number of priests (supposed to be real clergy, as opposed to people dressed up for Satan's party) had naked little boys on leashes.

snoozn

Although I have to say that the "3 Stooges" bit with Gacy, Bundy, and Dahmer was clever.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lawgiver:
quote:
quote:

Reminds me of, this very wrong but very funny VG Cats comic.

Me too, I feel so dirty. And, to whomever made the point about confronting fear is right. Halloween really is the best time to do that. I mean look at Dracula, the real Vlad the Impaler was Quite eviler because of his sadistic actions ,
and thus went on to inspired a story character who despite his evil nature was a heck of a lot tamer linky

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I adore Bill Maher, but he went there...

-

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

One of the shock jocks in the DC area sent a guy trick-or-treating for beer. In a Catholic priest outfit. With photos of child stars taped over his clothes.

It was funny

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IMO, Bill Maher's costume was tasteless.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IMO, Bill Maher's costume was tasteless.
If all halloween costumes were tasteful it would be a pretty boring holiday IMO.. But to each their own I suppose.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ink Rose:
Reminds me of, this very wrong but very funny VG Cats comic.

[/QB]

Congratulations! You owe me a new keyboard! I'd really like a new wireless Logitech G15, please.

So very wrong... so very very wrong... yet I can't stop laughing.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first YOMANK. I am so happy [Big Grin]

I am always trying to convert people into fans of that comic. My favs are the Captain Planet Spoof, Inbred Chocbos, and Cats in the Cradle [Big Grin]

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages