snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Can a good Muslim be a good American? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can a good Muslim be a good American?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 207 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can a good Muslim be a good American?

That question was forwarded to a person that worked in Saudi Arabia for 20 years.

The following is his forwarded reply:

Theologically - no. Because his allegiance is to Allah, the moon God of Arabia.

Religiously - no. Because no other religion is accepted by his Allah except Islam (Quran, 2:256)

Scripturally - no. Because his allegiance is to the five pillars of Islam and the Quran (Koran).

Geographically - no. Because his allegiance is to Mecca, to which he turns in prayer five times a day.

Socially - no. Because his allegiance to Islam forbids him to make friends with Christians or Jews.

Politically - no. Because he must submit to the mullah (spiritual leaders), who teach annihilation of Israel and Destruction of America, the great Satan.

Domestically - no. Because he is instructed to marry four women and beat and scourge his wife when she disobeys him (Quran 4:34).

Intellectually - no. Because he cannot accept the American Constitution since it is based on Biblical principles and he believes the Bible to be corrupt.

Philosophically - no. Because Islam, Muhammad, and the Quran do not allow freedom of religion and expression. Democracy and Islam cannot co-exist. Every Muslim government is either dictatorial or autocratic.

Spiritually - no. Because when we declare "one nation under God," the Christian's God is loving and kind, while Allah is NEVER referred to as heavenly father, nor is he ever called love in The Quran's 99 excellent names.

Therefore after much study and deliberation....perhaps we should be very suspicious of ALL MUSLIMS in this country. They obviously cannot be both "good" Muslims and good Americans. Call it what you wish....it's still the truth.

You had better believe it.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 05 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

moon God? [Confused]

I think not. I say we convince this commenter that Allah is the God of the Bridge of Brooklyn, which is conveniently up for sale...

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The moon God? Allah is a monotheistic God.

quote:
Religiously - no. Because no other religion is accepted by his Allah except Islam (Quran, 2:256)

The last time I looked, the US wasn't a theocracy. Therefore, it doesn't matter what religion is accepted by Allah, because Americans can be any (or none) religion they want.

quote:
Scripturally - no. Because his allegiance is to the five pillars of Islam and the Quran (Koran).

The Five Pillars of Islam are:
  • Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad
  • Saying daily prayers
  • Concern for and almsgiving to the needy
  • Self-purification through fasting
  • The pilgrimage to Mecca for those who are able
I fail to see how the Five Pillars prevent one from being an American.

quote:
Geographically - no. Because his allegiance is to Mecca, to which he turns in prayer five times a day.

Does this also mean that Jews can't be real Americans? Because the Passover Seder ends with "Next year in Jerusalem."

quote:
Socially - no. Because his allegiance to Islam forbids him to make friends with Christians or Jews.

Actually it doesn't, but what are mere facts when you're in full anti-Muslim rant?

quote:
Politically - no. Because he must submit to the mullah (spiritual leaders), who teach annihilation of Israel and Destruction of America, the great Satan.

Mullahs are only found in the Shiite branch of Islam. The Sunnis have Imams, the Sufis have Shaykhs (sheikhs, which means "leaders") and the Druse have al-Ajawīd, a term that means "The Good Ones." Not all mullahs teach annihilation of Israel and destruction of America.

quote:
Domestically - no. Because he is instructed to marry four women and beat and scourge his wife when she disobeys him (Quran 4:34).

A Muslim is allowed to have up to four wives, there is no requirement to have all four.

"You will be eager for your husband and he will rule over you" -Genesis 3:16

"Wives be subservient to your husbands" -Ephesians 5:22

quote:
Intellectually - no. Because he cannot accept the American Constitution since it is based on Biblical principles and he believes the Bible to be corrupt.

Since the Constitution is not based on Biblical principles, this non sequitur is meaningless.

quote:
Philosophically - no. Because Islam, Muhammad, and the Quran do not allow freedom of religion and expression. Democracy and Islam cannot co-exist. Every Muslim government is either dictatorial or autocratic.

I can think of several Muslim governments which are at least pro forma democracies. I can think of a whole lot of non-Muslim governments which are dictatorial or autocratic or both.

quote:
Spiritually - no. Because when we declare "one nation under God," the Christian's God is loving and kind, while Allah is NEVER referred to as heavenly father, nor is he ever called love in The Quran's 99 excellent names.

Are we talking about the same Christian God (a) who is not officially part of the American political system and (b) in whose name numerous religious wars were fought? That Christian God?

quote:
Therefore after much study and deliberation....perhaps we should be very suspicious of ALL MUSLIMS in this country. They obviously cannot be both "good" Muslims and good Americans. Call it what you wish....it's still the truth.

And while you're at it, watch out for the bogeyman, because he isn't a good American either.

quote:

Or else the bogeyman will get you.

--------------------
Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roofus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roofus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The last time I looked, the US wasn't a theocracy. Therefore, it doesn't matter what religion is accepted by Allah, because Americans can be any (or none) religion they want.
THIS IS A CHRISTIAN NATION ACCEPT IT OR MOVE TO CANADA!!!!!! 9/11! (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
Posts: 19 | From: Soquel, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You'd never make it on "We've Got Mail"... your spelling is too good and you left off all the colorful invectives.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 207 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
moon God? [Confused]

I think not. I say we convince this commenter that Allah is the God of the Bridge of Brooklyn, which is conveniently up for sale...

The myth that Muslims worship a pagan moon god is a popular one among some evangelical protestants as this page on Chick.com and this page on the 700 Club website show.
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not too stoked about sharing a country with whoever wrote this nonsense. America is a secular country with a Christian majority. The two aren't mutually exclusive. People are welcome to their superstition of choice, but its the fact that the majority can set those aside in their public lives and interact secularly that allows us to function in the modern world rather than the middle ages.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
effo5231
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for effo5231   Author's Homepage   E-mail effo5231   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"... she hadn't counted on donkey-holes like this.

Its guys like this who make you wish there was a "except for jerks like you" clause to the First Ammendmant.

--------------------
"What!? Those are my graham crackers! Don't move I'm going to go find something to strike you with!"

Posts: 66 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know that Jack Chick had worked for 20 years in Saudi Arabia...

Besides, I strongly doubt that someone who has chosen to work in Saudi for 20 years would write something like that. Why on earth would you live in a society that so clearly does not fit you for two decades?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
I didn't know that Jack Chick had worked for 20 years in Saudi Arabia...

Besides, I strongly doubt that someone who has chosen to work in Saudi for 20 years would write something like that. Why on earth would you live in a society that so clearly does not fit you for two decades?

My sentiments exactly. I had a similar post typed, but didn't bother. Basically, I think this whole message was written by the same person, and the "sent, replied, etc." parts were written to make it a better story.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Therefore after much study and deliberation....

Where has there been study and/or deliberation? I suggest you try some.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James D
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James D   E-mail James D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
quote:

moon God? [Confused]

Perhaps they have confused Allah with Muad'Dib, the kangaroo mouse after which the prophet/messiah Paul Atredies takes his name and is seen as an image in one of the moons of Arrakis - also known as Dune.

It wouldn't suprise me too much, as Herbert did base the fremen (aka Zensuni wanderers) loosely off of various inhabitants of southeastern asia/northern Africa.

stranger things have happened

--------------------
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - )

Posts: 244 | From: Ventura, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, any bets on how long it is before we see this re-written to be on atheists, pagans, or another religion?

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Done.

quote:
Can a good Christian be a good American?

That question was asked of a person that lived in America for more than 20 years.

The following is his made-up reply:

Theologically - no. Because his allegiance is to Jehova, the man-God of Arabia.

Religiously - no. Because no other religion is accepted by his God (Exodus chapter 20, the first commandment: "you shall have no other gods before me")

Scripturally - no. Because his allegiance is to the ten commandments.

Politically - no. Because they all too frequently listen to frothing-at-the-mouth psychos like Pat Robertson, and guys who write emails like the one above.

Intellectually - no. Because he cannot stop insisting that the American Constitution is based on Biblical principles.

Et cetera. It's way too easy to write ridiculous stuff like that. It's just sad that some people believe it.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It wouldn't suprise me too much, as Herbert did base the fremen (aka Zensuni wanderers) loosely off of various inhabitants of southeastern asia/northern Africa.
Not only that, the story pretty much mirrors (in an exaggerated way, of course) the story of T E Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard Morvan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerard Morvan   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, in the 19th century, it was the Catholics (spies for the Pope), in the 20th, it was the Jews (remember Leo Franks), now it's the Muslims. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

--------------------
"Kentoc'h Mervel !"

Posts: 388 | From: France | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would just like to applaud this message for signing off with such water-tight BS insurance:

"Call it what you wish... it's still the truth. You had better believe it."

I might just make that my new sig.

ETA - I am also deeply enamoured with the idea that someone who worked in Saudi Arabia for 20 years is automatically an authority on Islam.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Billion:
Done.

quote:
Can a good Christian be a good American?

That question was asked of a person that lived in America for more than 20 years.

The following is his made-up reply:

Theologically - no. Because his allegiance is to Jehova, the man-God of Arabia.

Religiously - no. Because no other religion is accepted by his God (Exodus chapter 20, the first commandment: "you shall have no other gods before me")

Scripturally - no. Because his allegiance is to the ten commandments.

Politically - no. Because they all too frequently listen to frothing-at-the-mouth psychos like Pat Robertson, and guys who write emails like the one above.

Intellectually - no. Because he cannot stop insisting that the American Constitution is based on Biblical principles.

Et cetera. It's way too easy to write ridiculous stuff like that. It's just sad that some people believe it.
You missed Theologically - no. Because his allegiance is to Jehova, the man-God of Arabia not to oil.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All these things are pretty much true about Jews and Christians, especially Catholics, as well.

And the Constitution was NOT based on Biblical principles, it was based on principles that ran 100% contrary to the bible...

You will find nothing in the bible that says that the majority can or will choose the proper path nor that freedom is a good thing. In fact, you'll find a lot to the contrary.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 88 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can a good Catholic be a good American?

That question was forwarded to a person that worked in Italy for 20 years.

The following is his forwarded reply:

Theologically - no. Because his allegiance is to the papacy.

Religiously - no. Because no other religion is accepted by his God, who commanded: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" (Exodus 20:3).

Scripturally - no. Because his allegiance is to the four gospels and the Bible.

Geographically - no. Because his holy sites are in Palestine.

Socially - no. Because his allegiance to Catholicism forbids him to make friends with Protestants, Jews, or Muslims.

Politically - no. Because his allegiance is to Rome, where he turns for leadership in all matters.

Domestically - no. Because his God commands women to be subservient to men (Genesis 3:16).

Intellectually - no. Because he cannot accept the American Constitution since it is a based on secular principles and he believes the secular world to be corrupt.

Philosophically - no. Because Catholicism, God, and the Bible do not allow freedom of religion and expression. Catholicism and democracy cannot co-exist. Every Catholic government has been either dictatorial or autocratic.

Spiritually - no. Because Allah is loving and kind, while God is wrathful and destructive ("Leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord'" - Romans 12:19-21).

Morally - no. Because he must submit to priests (spiritual leaders), who engage in pederasty.

Therefore after much study and deliberation....perhaps we should be very suspicious of ALL CATHOLICS in this country. They obviously cannot be both "good" Catholics and good Americans. Call it what you wish....it's still the truth.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, odds are that the person who came up with the original wad-o-crap would agree with you; many fundmentalists are very anti-Catholic.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, a lot of evangelicals will act like Catholicism isn't even a branch of Christianity. And not as a conscious insult but as an uncontroversial statement of fact, like nobody could possibly argue that Catholics are Christians. They don't use the word "Protestant", they use the word "Christian" as if it were synonymous with "Protestant".
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Audrey06037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey06037     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think stereotyping a group of people for any reason is very dangerous. Remember Hitler?

--------------------
Don't worry, be happy!

Posts: 1 | From: Berlin, Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey06037:
I think stereotyping a group of people for any reason is very dangerous. Remember Hitler?

Yeah, but all those Austrians are the same.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
react2distract
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for react2distract   E-mail react2distract   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey06037:

Yeah, but all those Austrians are the same.

pinqy

That's a good 'un. [lol]
Posts: 121 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Norton II:
The Five Pillars of Islam are:
  • Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad
  • Saying daily prayers
  • Concern for and almsgiving to the needy
  • Self-purification through fasting
  • The pilgrimage to Mecca for those who are able

The Shi'ites break their doctrines up into the five Roots of Religion and ten Branches of Religion.

quote:
Originally posted by Norton II:
Mullahs are only found in the Shiite branch of Islam. The Sunnis have Imams,

Mullah Mohammed Omar is Sunni.

The Twelve Shi'a leaders are the Imams and the Shi'a await the return of the Twelfth Imam, Muhammed al-Mahdi.

Imam is also the title of the person who leads prayers in a mosque.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Therefore after much study and deliberation....perhaps we should be very suspicious of ALL CATHOLICS in this country. They obviously cannot be both "good" Catholics and good Americans. Call it what you wish....it's still the truth.

Well golly gee willikers, glad I just got my passport renewed (and got one for each of my kids). I thought we were going to Europe for a short vacation, not as a permanent move... [Wink]

Of course, you realize, that is one reason some people think we can't have a Catholic President...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:
...Therefore after much study and deliberation....perhaps we should be very suspicious of ALL CATHOLICS in this country. They obviously cannot be both "good" Catholics and good Americans. Call it what you wish....it's still the truth.

Well golly gee willikers, glad I just got my passport renewed (and got one for each of my kids). I thought we were going to Europe for a short vacation, not as a permanent move... [Wink]

Of course, you realize, that is one reason some people think we can't have a Catholic President...

Wasnt JFK a catholic?

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SiKboy:
quote:

Wasnt JFK a catholic?
Yes. It was a joke.

People actually did express some of those concerns about Catholics during that election.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathleen O'Hara

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathleen O'Hara   E-mail Kathleen O'Hara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comparing JFK's Catholism with the MUSLIM religion is RIDICULOUS !!!! Catholism is a very tolerant religion...was back in the 1960's and is even "more lenient" in today's society. Having said that, JFK was NOT A DEVOTE CATHOLIC...Jackie was, but HE WAS NOT ! Devote Catholics don't lie, hang with the MOB or cheat on their wives. He was, however, a very good President and was extremely protective of Americans and the USA. Which is all that mattered, in my opinion as far as what he was elected to do and what the American people expected of him as President of the USA. Our society is NOT a theocracy and as President I do not believe JFK or any other President would
super impose their personal beliefs onto the American people. I know that Geo. W. has been accused of doing that...I,personally do not believe he has FORCED anything in that direction.
I feel very qualified to say this: I am a New Orleans CATHOLIC...so, I know George W. Bush has made errors...I just don't happen to think anything he has done is done that resulted with negative results was ever done with a malicious or evil intent.

Kathleen

Posts: 1 | From: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen O'Hara:
Comparing JFK's Catholism with the MUSLIM religion is RIDICULOUS !!!!

Did you miss the part about it being a joke?

It is, however, a historical fact that JFK's Catholicism was an issue in the election. People really did suggest that he might put loyalty to the Pope ahead of loyalty to the nation. I agree that such concerns were absurd, but they did exist.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But the comparison itself is not ridiculous. The comparison points out how ridiculous the original post is.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, welcome to the boards, Kathleen.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by SiKboy:
quote:

Wasnt JFK a catholic?
Yes. It was a joke.

People actually did express some of those concerns about Catholics during that election.

[Bangs side of irony-o-meter] Dammit, I think I forgot to put batteries in this darn thing again...

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen O'Hara:
Comparing JFK's Catholism with the MUSLIM religion is RIDICULOUS !!!! Catholism is a very tolerant religion...was back in the 1960's and is even "more lenient" in today's society. Having said that, JFK was NOT A DEVOTE CATHOLIC...Jackie was, but HE WAS NOT ! Devote Catholics don't lie, hang with the MOB or cheat on their wives. He was, however, a very good President and was extremely protective of Americans and the USA. Which is all that mattered, in my opinion as far as what he was elected to do and what the American people expected of him as President of the USA. Our society is NOT a theocracy and as President I do not believe JFK or any other President would
super impose their personal beliefs onto the American people. I know that Geo. W. has been accused of doing that...I,personally do not believe he has FORCED anything in that direction.
I feel very qualified to say this: I am a New Orleans CATHOLIC...so, I know George W. Bush has made errors...I just don't happen to think anything he has done is done that resulted with negative results was ever done with a malicious or evil intent.

Kathleen

After some of what I have read on these boards and sites like chick.com, I would certainly have misgivings if this nation were to embrace Catholicism. Is it true that the Catholics do not worship Allah at all, but a made-up pagan god, or possibly the devil? I visited Italy a couple of times and all the women over a certain age seemed to have to wear black. It's pretty scary, to be honest.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages