snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Democrat, Republican or Southerner? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Democrat, Republican or Southerner?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you a Democrat, Republican or Southerner?

Here is a little test that will help you decide. The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor! Or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children? Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 911? Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior. This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Southerner's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click................
(sounds of reloading.) BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the
Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?"

Son: "Can I shoot the next one?"

"Wife: You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist!"

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
snerk

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Flaming June
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flaming June   Author's Homepage   E-mail Flaming June   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you know he's an Islamic terrorist? Is he wearing an "I'm an Islamic Terrorist" t-shirt?

And why would a Democrat be an expert shot carrying a Glock? I suppose you can be both an expert shot and a Democrat, but if you're wandering down the streets with a freakin' Glock, I think you have to turn your Democrat card in.

June

--------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posts: 364 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
email drivel posted by snopes:
Are you a Democrat, Republican or Southerner?

Here is a little test that will help you decide. The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor! Or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children? Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 911? Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior. This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Southerner's Answer:

(sounds of reloading.) BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click.

Ignorant much?

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
extended lol

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh come on, people... it's a joke.

Not a terribly witty one, but a joke nonetheless.

Most of the Republicans on this board refrain from calling y'all "ignorant" when you make wisecrack after wisecrack about how evil Republicans are, what a moron Bush is, etc. What's the matter... happy to dish it out but not take a little good-natured ribbing back?

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill D:
quote:
~snip~

Ignorant much?
It's a joke. Sheesh. And being a southerner, I think it's pretty damn funny.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming June:
How do you know he's an Islamic terrorist? Is he wearing an "I'm an Islamic Terrorist" t-shirt?

And why would a Democrat be an expert shot carrying a Glock? I suppose you can be both an expert shot and a Democrat, but if you're wandering down the streets with a freakin' Glock, I think you have to turn your Democrat card in.

June

I find the grip on Glocks to be too chunky for my diminutive hands.

I am a Colt girl, myself. [Wink]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill D:
quote:

[...]

Southerner's Answer:

Ignorant much?
Damn straight!

I can't believe nobody said, "Git r done!"

Bonnie "Lord, I apologize" Taylor

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm reminded of the story about the Sikh in New Mexico who was killed shortly after 9/11 because he wore a turban. Them ragheads is all alike.

--------------------
Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

May I have this for my sig line file, please? [lol]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
meanjelly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meanjelly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
maybe the Demo can give him a "Give Peace a Chance" sticker

--------------------
Education... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876 - 1962), English Social History (1942)

Posts: 1443 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GaiaP5
Cereal Killer

Icon 05 posted      Profile for GaiaP5     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming June:

Well, my DH is an expert shot and a registered Democrat. And, on top of that, he always carries a Glock because he is a Glock. (A common nickname among his Air Force buddies. It's a shortened version of our last name.) How's that for confusing? [lol]

--------------------
When other little girls were dreaming of being ballet dancers, I kind of wanted to be a vampire.

Posts: 185 | From: Stuttgart, Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by meanjelly:
maybe the Demo can give him a "Give Peace a Chance" sticker

Considering that, as of this moment, the only relative of a member of congress to die in Iraq is the nephew of a Democrat I really would love to know why this assumption gets made so often. Democrats do serve their country in the military - maybe it's just that they do it quietly. Not nearly as much room for humour in that I guess.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a cherished myth among certain conservatives that Democrats and other liberals are pacifists. And even if a Democrat did serve in the military, he really didn't mean it. Witness how many people believed the lies about John Kerry's medals.

--------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

May I have this for my sig line file, please? [lol]
Of course you can!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Norton II:
There is a cherished myth among certain conservatives that Democrats and other liberals are pacifists. And even if a Democrat did serve in the military, he really didn't mean it. Witness how many people believed the lies about John Kerry's medals.

Gonna be hard convincing all the Democrats in my family currently in the military that they really don't mean it... heh.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems like a case where the voting record attracts extremists: The Republican party isn't made of up of racists, and the Democratic party isn't made up of pacifists or anti-gun folk. Nevertheless, racists undoubtedly prefer Republicans, and pacifists undoubtedly prefer Democrats. (Actually, I don't have to say "undoubtedly" about R's and racists. In 1980, a Klan spokesman said that a speech by then-candidate Reagan sounded like it could have been written by a member of his organization.)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm reminded of the story about the Sikh in New Mexico who was killed shortly after 9/11 because he wore a turban. Them ragheads is all alike.

Actually that was Arizona.

In fact it was four miles from where I was living at the time.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Thanks for the correction. I remember the story but obviously not all of the details.

--------------------

Bubby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubby   E-mail Bubby       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
QUit bashing the letter people...

I'm a conservative, and I thoughtr it was hilarious!

Posts: 110 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Bubby:
QUit bashing the letter people...

I'm a conservative, and I thoughtr it was hilarious!

Which "people" are you referring to? [Confused]

--------------------

RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

Southerner's Answer:

(sounds of reloading.)

Wife dope-slaps the guy. "Quit wastin' ammo! Them damn reloads don't grow on trees, ya idjit!"
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James D
Deck the Malls

Icon 213 posted      Profile for James D   E-mail James D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A sligt variation...

quote:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a Klansman (aka Domestic Terrorist) with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Jesus, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Democrat:

BANG.

Republican:
Gee, this poor fellow only has a knife. I bet those darn liberals took his gun away from him. I know, I'll give him some tax cuts so he can afford to buy a new gun.

Southerner.

Hey there, Billy-Bob...

--------------------
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - )

Posts: 244 | From: Ventura, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James D:
A sligt variation...

quote:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a Klansman (aka Domestic Terrorist) with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Jesus, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Democrat:

BANG.

Republican:
Gee, this poor fellow only has a knife. I bet those darn liberals took his gun away from him. I know, I'll give him some tax cuts so he can afford to buy a new gun.

Southerner.

Hey there, Billy-Bob...

Now, that's funny.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I imagine a non-lethal shot never occurred to anybody?

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Advocatus Diaboli
Infiniti Gritty Dirt Band

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having known a few cops and my dad being a sheriff deputy I've known everyone of them to say that if you are going to be shooting someone the situation better be dire enough that you have to shoot to kill. Anything else means you acted to rashly. Because it's a lot harder to shoot to disable than it is to shoot to kill.

--------------------
BASHIR: It's not your fault things are the way they are.

LEE: Everybody tells themselves that... and nothing ever changes...

Posts: 101 | From: Oakhurst, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

I'm surprised that more Republicans aren't offended by the implication that they don't know to double tap [Big Grin]

buf 'especially when using a 40 cal' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the op much funnier when it's followed by James D.'s version. And I agree with Jayguar's opinions on racists and pacifists and the two parties.

I also have to add that my husband served in the Army, carries a Glock, is a very good shot, and would not hesitate to kill in order to protect his family. And he is not going to turn in his Democrat card. I would also kill to protect my family, but I would probably miss.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarissimus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissimus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did you miss the part where he praised Allah before charging with a knife? I suppose, however, that it's possible he could be an "Islamic murderer" instead of an "Islamic terrorist."
Posts: 13 | From: Jackson, MO | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

He was yelling "Die, dog of a pig-eating Zionist offspring of Satan!"

--------------------

xtargeeter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtargeeter   E-mail xtargeeter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jayguar Temple:
This seems like a case where the voting record attracts extremists: The Republican party isn't made of up of racists, and the Democratic party isn't made up of pacifists or anti-gun folk. Nevertheless, racists undoubtedly prefer Republicans, and pacifists undoubtedly prefer Democrats. (Actually, I don't have to say "undoubtedly" about R's and racists. In 1980, a Klan spokesman said that a speech by then-candidate Reagan sounded like it could have been written by a member of his organization.)

Yeah, but Reagan was never a member of the Klan, unlike Robert Byrd.
Posts: 21 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Ah yes, mention the Republicans and the Klan and some conservative will bring up Robert Byrd. Why don't the conservatives ever talk about David Duke? This man was Imperial Wizard of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and founded the National Association for the Advancement of White People (NAAWP). He ran for several offices and was elected to the Louisiana state legislature as a Republican.

--------------------

xtargeeter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtargeeter   E-mail xtargeeter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah yes, mention the Republicans and the Klan and some conservative will bring up Robert Byrd. Why don't the conservatives ever talk about David Duke? This man was Imperial Wizard of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and founded the National Association for the Advancement of White People (NAAWP). He ran for several offices and was elected to the Louisiana state legislature as a Republican.

Fine. Duke was elected to a state office, not federal. Plus, he was repudiated by the Republican party. The Democrats never did that to Byrd.

And not a snarky question, but why did you assume that I was a conservative?

Posts: 21 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Duke was elected as a Republican. Also, when he last ran for elective office, even after he had been "repudiated" by the Republican party, he still ran as a Republican.

Sorry if I mislabeled you as a conservative. It's mainly the conservatives who bring up Byrd whenever anyone mentions the Republicans and the KKK in the same breath. If you indulge in behavior I associate with conservatives, then I get the impression that you're a conservative.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages