snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » honey and cinnamon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: honey and cinnamon?
starchild
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starchild   E-mail starchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Passed around in email, I couldn't find anything about it on the main snopes board.
of course it probably can't HURT but it seems to be a cure-all for just about anything and everything.

I put it in searches and came up with basically the same thing (based on a magazine article from 1995) And, found a few yummy sounding recipes in the process (LOL)

FACTS ON HONEY AND CINNAMON

It is found that mixture of honey and cinnamon cures most of thediseases. Honey is produced in most of the countries of the world.

Scientists of today also accept honey as a "Ram Ban" (very effective)
medicine for all kinds of diseases.

Honey can be used without any side effects for any kind of diseases.
Today's science says that even though honey is sweet, if taken in
the right dosage as a medicine, it does not harm diabetic patients.
Weekly World News, a magazine in Canada, in its issue dated 17 January,
1995 has given the following list of diseases that can be cured by honey
and cinnamon as researched by western scientists.

HEART DISEASES: Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, apply on
bread, chapatti, or other bread, instead of jelly and jam and eat it
regularly for breakfast. It reduces the cholesterol in the arteries
and saves the patient from heart attack. Also those who al ready had
an attack, if they do this process daily, are kept miles away from the next
attack. Regular use of the above process relieves loss of breath and
strengthens the heart beat. In America and Canada, various nursing
homes have treated patients successfully and have found that as you
ag! e, the arteries and veins lose their flexibility and get clogged;
honey and cinnamon revitalizes the arteries and veins.

BLADDER INFECTIONS: Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one
teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys
the germs in the bladder.

TOOTHACHE: Make a paste of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and five
teaspoons of honey and apply on the aching tooth. This may be applied
three times a day until the tooth stops aching.

CHOLESTEROL: Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of cinnamon
powde r mixed in 16 ounces of tea water, given to a cholesterol
patient, was found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by
10% within 2 hours. As mentioned for arthritic patients, if taken 3
times a day, any chronic cholesterol is cured. As per information
received in the said journal, pure honey taken with! food daily
relieves complaints of cholesterol.

COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one
tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3
days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold and clear the sinuses.

UPSET STOMACH: Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and
also clears stomach ulcers from the root.

GAS: According to the studies done in India &Japan, it is revealed that if
honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.

IMMUNE SYSTEM: Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens
the immune system and protects the body! from bacteria and viral attacks.
Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large
amounts.

Constant use of honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles
to fight bacteria and viral diseases.

INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey
taken before food, relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals.

INFLUENZA: A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a
natural ingredient which kills the influenza germs and saves the
patient from flu.

LONGEVITY: Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken
regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Take 4 teaspoons of honey,
1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 3 cups of water and boil to make
like tea. Drink 1/4 cup, 3 to 4 times a da y. It keeps the skin fresh
and soft and arrest! s old age.

PIMPLES: Mix three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon
to make a powder paste. Apply this paste on the pimples before
sleeping and wash it next morning with warm water. If done daily for
two weeks, it removes pimples from the root.

SKIN INFECTIONS: Apply honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the
affected parts to cure eczema, ringworm and all types of skin
infections.

WEIGHT LOSS: Daily in the morning 1/2 hour before breakfast on an
empty stomach and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon
powder boiled in one cup water. If taken regularly, it reduces the weight
of even the most obese person. Also, drinking this mixture regularly does
not allow the fat to accumulate in the body even though the person may
eat a high calorie diet.

CANCER: Recent research in Japan and Australia has revealed that
advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully.
Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one
tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder for one month
3 times a day.

FATIGUE: Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is
more helpful rather than being detrimental to the strength of the
body. Senior citizens who take honey and cinnamon power in equal parts
are more alert and flexible.

Dr. Milton who has done research says that a half tablespoon
honey taken in a glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, taken
daily after brushing your teeth and in the afternoon ! at about 3:00 p.m.
When the vitality of the body starts to decrease, increases the vitality of
the body within a week.

BAD BREATH: People of South America first thing in the morning gargle
with one teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water,
so their breath stays fresh throughout the day.

Posts: 5 | From: Concord, VT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's so over the top I'm wondering if it's a spoof. And one property honey does have - it can help small wounds close - isn't even in there.

Sister "never heard honey as a pancea before" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is so much wrong with that, I don't even know where to start.

Actually, I do. Honey cures the common cold? Someone should inform the scientists!

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
starchild
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starchild   E-mail starchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it does seem to be too much of everything.

And "It is found that..." vague reference to scientists and a magazine article from 1995.

Though it's probably not harmful and maybe if someone believes it works it will?

It's also good to put on bee stings (odd as this seems) I've done this.

Posts: 5 | From: Concord, VT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably not harmful...unless you're allergic to cinnamon [Wink] . Seriously though, you don't know what it might do, taken in such quantities. Was googling it and after sifting through this article about a million times, I found Cinnamon Lowers Blood Sugar in people with diabetes.

ETA: some more

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starchild:
I put it in searches and came up with basically the same thing (based on a magazine article from 1995)...

The magazine, according to my searches (ETA: and mentioned in the OP), was the Weekly World News.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one
tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3
days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold and clear the sinuses.

IIRC the average duration one suffers the symptons of a cold is 3 days. So this basically says, "Enjoy honey and cinnamon for 3 days while your body cures itself normally, treatement or not."
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Weekly World News is a tabloid. Next they'll be sending out e-mails about the bearded lady having the bat-boy's love child.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This list is based on Ayurvedic properties of honey and Cinnamon. Ayurveda is traditional Indian medicine

There is much confusion about how Ayurveda presecribes honey because there are differrent kinds of honey based on the flower that it is produced from. Ayurveda classifies the differrent kinds of honey into 8 types, and presecribes medicinal usages for each those types . Somewhere down the line, somebody took all those prescriptions and put it under a big label called "Honey" without bothering to worry about the classification, and started circulating this list. I don't know much about the actual properties of honey, but my guess is that a proper Ayurvedic practitioner would probably laugh at this list because it is a gross misrepresentation.

In fact, most ayurvedic practitioners shy away from prescribing cure-everything-under-the-sun type of home cures. This is because the phiosophy behind Ayurvedic medicine is that ailments occur because of imbalances in the body, and those imbalances can be corrected using medicine. So, there cannot be a single pill that cures everything because the medicine has to be presecribed based on the imbalance in the sick person's body. For example, heartburn is said to occur because of too much "Fire" in the belly. Milk has "Water" and "mud" properties, which helps douse the "fire". But drink too much milk and you will have too much "water" and too much "water" (not actual water, mind you, but food stuff with water properties) will cause vomiting.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just explained to a cow-orker that WWN is like The Onion, without the sophistication.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Honey isn't 100% safe either. It can have botulism spores and be dangerous for babies and people with weakened immune systems.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/question214.htm

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my family, we take a spoonful of Karo syrup when we feel nauseated. Mom says that it works one way or another (Karo is thick enough that she often gags when trying to get it down, which does take care of that part of the nausea.)

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starchild:
IMMUNE SYSTEM: Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts.

Constant use of honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles to fight bacteria and viral diseases.

I have a Primary Immune Deficiency. Since I was born, my body does not manufacture enough IgG, so I get sick a lot. Somehow, I'm thinking honey is not going to strengthen my immune system- I don't think it's fabulous enough to fix a genetic defect. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite:
quote:
TOOTHACHE: Make a paste of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and five
teaspoons of honey and apply on the aching tooth. This may be applied
three times a day until the tooth stops aching.

...or until it rots away completely, whichever comes first.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking that the sugars in honey, on which the plaque bacteria love to feed, would't really do such a great job on freshening the breath. Eww.

-though I have heard some evidence that cinnamon, and also cumin, have some health inducing properties. But a cure all for everything under the sun, I'm thinking, no.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What the heck is a "Ram Ban" or something with "Ram Ban" properties? A cursory search mostly just brought up versions of this article.

Maybe I'm not scientist enough to understand such a technical sounding term. (:

Or does it have something to do with Ayurvedic medicine? A cursory search of "'Ram Ban' Ayurvedic" only brings up this article.

WingedBear

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WingedBear:
What the heck is a "Ram Ban" or something with "Ram Ban" properties? A cursory search mostly just brought up versions of this article.

Winged "o

"Ban" means "boon". Ram was a generous and just king, and is one of the more popular dieties in India. In Hindu mythology, Ram is a model ruler because his rule relied on priniciple of equality, and resulted in a high standard of living for everyone.

Ram Baan roughly translates to "God's gift that is available to everyone"

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
There is so much wrong with that, I don't even know where to start.

Actually, I do. Honey cures the common cold? Someone should inform the scientists!

Why don't you contact Dr. Milton? He's done research! [lol]

From the OP:

quote:
LONGEVITY
I'm not familiar with this disease.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 206 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that eating local honey can help with hay fever type allergies. Apparently the pollen in it can help build up some immunity. I haven't tried this though. I don't eat that much honey, and I don't feel like shopping around for the local stuff.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can usually get local honey at the farmer's market, and the smaller grocery stores in our town carry it on the shelf. Sometimes even Wallyworld has it. When we are on the road out in the country, we see stands selling it and I generally get some. One or two jars a year, at most, is all we go through anyway.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HappyHarry holiday
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HappyHarry holiday   E-mail HappyHarry holiday   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Honey it seems to be the herbal life of the new century
quote:
Originally posted by WingedBear:
What the heck is a "Ram Ban"
Winged "o

Wasent that from a old Bowie song AWWWWWW RAM BAN THANK YOU MAA [Big Grin] M

--------------------
I wish i was eccentric so i could afford to be weird

Posts: 67 | From: philippines | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since it's apparently from the WWN, I can say now I was right in thinking it sounded like a spoof.

My sister was disturbed by the WWN at a young age. She knew nothing it said was real, but she didn't understand why it was allowed to print those things.

Sister "i find it interesting you call the WWN 'the paper'. the paper is supposed to print facts" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages