snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » "INS" cleaning up the neighborhood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "INS" cleaning up the neighborhood
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Usually my brother-in-law forwards pictures of puppies and babies or glurge about the good ol days, but this one (titled "Yankee Ingenuity" was a little different:
---------------------------------------------
I have a friend who is president of his homeowner's association in the
Washington, D.C. suburbs. They were having a terrible problem with litter
near some of his association's homes. The reason according to Wallace (my
friend) is that six very large, luxurious new houses are being built
right next to their community.

The trash was coming from the Mexican laborers working at the
construction sites and included bags from McDonalds, Burger King and
7-11, plus coffee cups, napkins, cigarette butts, coke cans, empty
bottles, etc. He went to see the site supervisor and even the general
contractor, politely urging them to get their workers not to litter the
neighborhood, to no avail. He called the city, county, and police and
got no help there either.

So here's what his community did They organized about twenty folks,
named themselves The "Inner Neighborhood Services" group, and arranged to
to go out at lunch time and "police" the trash themselves. It is what
they did while picking up the trash that is so hilarious.

They bought navy blue baseball caps and had the initials "INS"
embroidered in gold on the caps.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what they hoped people
might, mistakenly, think the letters really stand for.

After the Inner Neightborhood Services group's first lunchtime pickup
detail, with all of them wearing their caps and some carrying cameras; 46
out of the total of 68 construction workers did not show up for work the
next morning--and haven't come back yet.

It has been ten days now.

The General Contractor, I'm told, is madder than hell, but can't say
anything publicly because he could be busted for hiring illegal aliens.
Wallace and his bunch can't be accused of impersonating federal
personnel, because they have the official name of the group recorded in
their homeowner association minutes along with a notation about the vote
to approve formation of the new subcommittee--and besides, they informed
the INS in advance of their plans and according to Wallace the INS said
basically, "Have at it"!

SO FOLKS, I THINK YOU COULD SAY THAT YANKEE INGENUITY TRIUMPHS AGAIN!
----------------------------------------------

Googling only turns up the same thing without any more identifying details. From a legal standpoint, I find it hard to believe. If my local club decides to start a group called the "Friends Being Intelligent" and has t-shirts and jackets made up that look like the FBI is that ok as long as we can show it in the minutes of our meetings? I don't think the INS would take impersonators lightly. The racism here is also pretty irritating. Yes, I've never seen a white guy throw a beer bottle out of his truck. Anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on whether this is real.

snoozn

(edited because I can't type)

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snoozn:
So here's what his community did They organized about twenty folks,
named themselves The "Inner Neighborhood Services" group, and arranged to
to go out at lunch time and "police" the trash themselves. It is what
they did while picking up the trash that is so hilarious.

They bought navy blue baseball caps and had the initials "INS" embroidered in gold on the caps.

Immigration and Naturalization Service was folded into US Customs. It is now Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

But, in my opinion, the whole thing sounds like another sad attempt at humor from a latent racist.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"...sad attempt...latent racist."

Roger that.

Dog (and immigrant-) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Googling only turns up the same thing without any more identifying details. From a legal standpoint, I find it hard to believe. If my local club decides to start a group called the "Friends Being Intelligent" and has t-shirts and jackets made up that look like the FBI is that ok as long as we can show it in the minutes of our meetings?

There is no law that only those agencies can use those abbreviations. They could even walk around in vests that said the full name of the department. Clothing is not illegal.
Let's say I were to join your "FBI" club. I could walk around wearing my FBI t-shirt and my FBI hat and my FBI jacket, but I won't have broken the law until I represent myself in some way as a member of the government agency that also uses that acronymn. For example, telling people, "DemonWolf, FBI. I need to ask you some questions," would creat enough confusion that I could be seen as impersonating a federal agent.

Clothing with the agency logos are freely offered for sale and I have several police and fire department t-shirts. If someone incorrectly identifies me as a police officer, all I need to do is correct them. (I bought the shirts at different charitable events)

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DougW
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also doubt they are doing anything illegal by this. If you do a search for 'FBI hat' or 'NYPD hat' on ebay or google your will find plenty for sale. I can't find any news reports of people being arrested just for selling or wearing these items. I imagine it would be the same for INS hats. Now, if the neighbors started approaching the workers while wearing this stuff and asking for greencards, id's, or saying anything that could lead them to believe they are government agents that would be a different story.

As far as it being racist, I don't know if I buy that either. They are trying to make them nervous about working illegally, not about being Mexican. If the workers are here legally the INS hats would be of no concern to them. They are not doing anything based on race, but on legal status. If they were walking around in KKK uniforms, or wearing hats that said 'I hate Mexicans' or something, that would be racist.

The neighbors see something annoying and illegal (littering) going on in their neighborhood. They ask the supervisors of the workers to stop it, they do not. They contact law enforcement, who do not act. They can see that most of the litterers are Mexican laborers. They make the reasonable assumption that some of those laborers are here illegally. That is not a racist assumption, IMO, it is a fact of life in many parts of the US. The neighbors dress in a way that makes the laborers believe that immigration officials are in the area, so the ones who are illegal leave. I don't see how that is racist.

ETA: spelling and clarification.

Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the racist part was assuming that all of the hispanics were Mexican and that 46 out of 68 left and never returned. Did someone actually count them?
quote:
construction sites and included bags from McDonalds, Burger King and
7-11, plus coffee cups, napkins, cigarette butts, coke cans, empty
bottles, etc.

Also, it implied that the workers were sloppy because they were "Mexican." Apparently "American" construction workers don't litter.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DougW

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
Also, it implied that the workers were sloppy because they were "Mexican." Apparently "American" construction workers don't litter.

When I read that part my mind doesn't translate it as, "these workers are littering because the are Mexican," but as, "These workers, who are Mexican, are littering." It could be considered racist if there were no reason to point out their race. The whole INS gag kind of means you have to point out their race, or it wouldn't make sense.

I guess I need sensitivity training.
[Razz]

Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DougW:
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:

When I read that part my mind doesn't translate it as, "these workers are littering because the are Mexican," but as, "These workers, who are Mexican, are littering." It could be considered racist if there were no reason to point out their race. The whole INS gag kind of means you have to point out their race, or it wouldn't make sense.

I guess I need sensitivity training.
[Razz]

The OP assumes several things:
1) That all the non-whites are Mexican
2) That all the 'Mexicans' are in the country illegally
3) That it is the illegal 'Mexicans' that are littering
4) That any non-'Mexicans' aren't contributing to the litter problem
5) That all illegal immigrants run scared at the sight of the letters 'INS'

If, as the OP states, the police were called and reported that they couldn't do anything, and the 'illegal Mexicans' didn't run then, why should we believe that they would run at the site of neighborhood people (who had already visited the construction site to complain about the trash) in logoed paraphenalia?

It's like I stated earlier...it's not overt racism, it's latent racism.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
46 out of the total of 68 construction workers did not show up for work the
next morning--and haven't come back yet.
It has been ten days now.

I really doubt that part. In areas where illegal aliens work construction you can usually find an area where they congregate and wait for contractors to come by and hire them.
Also, having worked in orchards picking cherries and thinning apples I have seen illegal aliens picked up on a Thursday afternoon by INS and back at work the following Monday. That's dedication.

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We just moved into an upscale neighborhood being built. Most of the houses around us are still under construction. Most of the laborors are Hispanic. I'm always very polite to the workers because they built our beautiful house and it passed inspection with flying colors. They do sometimes litter (food wrappers, etc), but my main worries are from the construction process itself, such as nails in the roadway and supply trucks blocking exit from our driveway. Plus, they were still using our house's outside water tap a month after we had moved in.

I got to thinking about the OP, and even if it were true, why would you want to chase 46 workers away? The fewer workers on a project, the longer you would have to put up with the construction nearby.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I think DemonWolf and Doug are right about the legality of the hats. Though I'm still not sure the INS (or ICE or whatever it is) would actively encourage them to do what they did. And I do still find it racist. After all, it doesn't sound like they are against construction work in general, and as Grand Illusion points out, chasing more than half the workers away just means the construction is going on longer. Perhaps it's not intended to say "look how we got rid of them dirty wetbacks" but that's how it comes off to me. And I'd still like to find out if there is any truth to it.

snoozn

p.s. Grand Ill, I love your sig line: I've been planning to get the t-shirts that say that for my Dad and me!

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If they told ICE that they planned to scare away illegals, wouldn't ICE say "Don't do that, we can actually deport them if we really show up?"

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DougW

quote:
SNIP... And I do still find it racist. After all, it doesn't sound like they are against construction work in general...SNIP

No, it doesn't sound like they are against construction work in general. It sounds like they are against construction workers who litter in their neighborhood.

This next comment is not addressed to snoozn or anyone else in particular, but it seems to me that we sometimes have a tendency to find racism (sexism, homophobia, etc.) where there may not be any.

To kind of hold up a mirror, when racism is actively sought out where it might not be, and fabricated if it can't be found, it is similiar to pCm's who see a demon under every bush.

To continue this comparision, CS Lewis said (paraphrasing from memory mind you) "There are two mistakes you can make when it comes to demons, not thinking about them at all, or thinking about them too much."

I think you can replace demons with racists and still have the statement hold true.

Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DougW:
No, it doesn't sound like they are against construction work in general. It sounds like they are against construction workers who litter in their neighborhood.

Well, against Mexican construction workers who litter, anyway.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Doug,
I think you make a good point about looking for demons. Hopefully I wasn't and as I mentioned my brother-in-law doesn't normally send me racist or otherwise inflammatory emails (irritating maybe but not inflammatory!) From seeing yours and others comments, it seems likely he didn't even think of it as racist. But you have to admit it says
quote:
construction sites

even though not all the laborers were Mexican. Maybe I'm demon-hunting, but I still see at least a bit of racism here.

snoozn

(edited for grammar)

00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To clarify:

ICE--Immigration and Customs Enforcement
*investigative wing, comprised of special agents, serve warrants, conduct raids, and work with the US Attorney's office in order to press charges

CBP--Customs and Border Protection
*frontline officers; Customs (from Treasury), Immigration and Naturalization Service (Justice), and Agriculture Inspectors. Scope of enforcement is limited to sea/air/land ports of entry. Border Patrol is also within CBP; man checkpoints and pursue illegal aliens outside of the ports.

Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OT, a bit

When I was a teenager, I had a friend from Mexico (100% Native Mexican; I think his bloodline went back to the Mayans, but I'm not sure). We would go to Colorado Rockies baseball games all the time.

He had an INS hat and a blue windbreaker he would wear.

And, being the moron teenagers that we were, during the 7th inning stretch he would run down the ailse yelling "La Migra, La Migra" hoping to see players scatter.

He only got odd looks and me shaking my head while trying to stop laughing.

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because, of course, all litterbugs are scared straight at the sight of guys wearning "INS" caps.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages