snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » College Archive » Providence College Fire In Dorm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Providence College Fire In Dorm
ruffelle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i found an article on that college fire in providence and found this picture with it. it's kind of freaky. what do you think? i meant the photo. well, both are, but the photo, although of a survivor, is very eerie.
http://www.projo.com/specials/century/month9/0931.htm

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ruffelle

found this on hauntings. this is the haunting of the dorm where the girls died. i would not want to go here.

Providence - Providence College - Aquinas Hall - is one haunted dorm in particular that was the setting for a fire, which took place in 1977. Many girls lost their lives in this fire. 5 of the girls died of smoke inhalation and 2 by falling out the window of the fourth floor while trying to escape. The fire started near room 405. To this day things are found missing only to turn up in strange places. A number of strange occurrences happen too such as doors opening and closing, faucets turning on by themselves, cold spots, radios that turn on mysteriously, and strange forms have even turned up in photographs.

Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to take anything away from the tragedy or the haunting, but when I read that it happened at a "PC dorm," I thought at first that meant a dorm where you weren't allowed to make disparaging remarks about women or minorities.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 107 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
College residence fires can be very dangerous for a number of reasons. The number of people living in a unit is usually higher than it would be in an apartment building, therefore increasing the potential for fire (more people= more chances) and the potential casualties. Unfortunately, smoking is a major cause of these fires, with alcohol as a significant contributing factor. Twice in my college years I was awakened in the middle of the night to a true fire condition, one of them a working fire confined to another room and its contents on my floor. I don't think that students, despite fire drills, always know how to react to fires, especially during sleeping hours. I thought that my alarm clock was going off, but saw that it was 12:30 AM and realized that it was the fire bell. I was jumping into my street clothes when my neighbor banged on my door and said that the floor was on fire. The hall was filled with smoke, and it was banking down over by the elevators, at the far end of the U-shaped hall. Something possessed me to put on a cotton sweater and grab a flashlight and a wet washcloth and get everyone out. I banged on as many doors as I could but could not make it to the fire even though I was on my belly crawling. So I ran down 5 flights of stairs to the street just as the first engine company was entering. My RA, who bolted without checking to make sure that the floor was evacuating, yelled at me. My throat was hoarse and I was coughing. I should have asked for some hits of O2 but I didn't want to get in trouble for playing fireman. My sore throat lasted all weekend, but I didn't care because I did what I thought was right. And I'd do it again, but hope that I'd be able to have turnout gear and an air pack on the next time (I've gone into fires since, as a NYS certified firefighter, but never evacuated a dorm).
Turns out some drunk idiot left a cigarette burning in his garbage can.
So the bottom line is that hazards do exist in dorms, and although almost all have at least heat detector alarms, and many have smoke detectors, sprinklers are still not required as a retrofit in existing construction in many areas. Sprinklers do work, and often contain a fire to a room, even if as a firefighter it's a pain in the a$$ to get hit with an activated head- that's a lot of water flying out!

Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angelwings

At my school, there are so many false fire alarms pulled as stupid pranks that people often stop leaving their dorms when the things go off. I know that after having to leave for a fire alarm up to three times a DAY my freshman year, I just stopped bothering to. Two things changed my mind: 1) the Seton Hall University fire, and 2) we actually did have a real fire, the last time I chose not to leave my room. Thankfully it was confined to the laundry room and put out quickly, and no one was hurt.
Fires are actually fairly common in dormitories. They are just usually put out pretty fast -- but you certainly can't count on that.

ruffelle

i don't understand how you're ra could yell at you for what you did. she's the one who ran outside without checking on her floor. hope she got fired, no pun intended. [Smile] i mean let go.
ruffelle

what did you think of the pic posted? wasn't that freaky? i can't remember if it said she was rescued before or after the other girls jumped.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages