snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » Hurrican Katrina - Radio Jamming Allegation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hurrican Katrina - Radio Jamming Allegation
Craddog
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The following allegation regarding radio jamming hindering the Hurricane Katrina relief effort was posted on the Liberty Forum, and is attributed to Wayne Madsen.

I am a Ham and find this allegation both incredulous and outrageous.

I would appreciate help in exposing this irresponsible and incendiary allegation.

Here is the allegation:

http://www.waynemadsenreport.com/

New Orleans: Who is jamming communications and why?

UPDATE: We can now report that the jamming of New Orleans' communications is emanating from a pirate radio station in the Caribbean. The noise is continuous and it is jamming frequencies, including emergency high frequency (HF) radios, in the New Orleans area. The radio frequency jammers were heard last night, stopped for a while, and are active again today. The Pentagon must locate the positions of these transmitters and order the Air Force to bomb them immediately.

However, we now have a new unconfirmed report that the culprit may be the Pentagon itself. The emitter is an IF (Intermediate Frequency) jammer that is operating south southwest of New Orleans on board a U.S. Navy ship, according to an anonymous source. The jamming is cross-spectrum and interfering with superheterodyne receiver components, including the emergency radios being used in New Orleans relief efforts. The jamming frequencies are:

72.0MHZ

45.0MHZ

10.245MHZ

10.240 Mhz

11.340 Mhz

455 IF 233 MHZ

A former DoD source says the U.S. Army uses a portable jammer, known as WORLOCK, in Iraq and this jammer may be similar to the one that is jamming the emergency frequencies.

If a U.S. Navy ship is, in fact, jamming New Orleans communications, the crew must immediately shut down the jammer and take action against the Commanding Officer..

We have just learned from a journalist in Mobile that yesterday, Sprint blocked all cell phone calls from the Gulf Coast region to points north and west. Calls were permitted between Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida but no calls could be made to Washington, New York, or Los Angeles

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nefret
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the beauty of being a woman of color living in this Country. I know that anything is possible when powerful people find themselves front page and they're not finished dressing yet.

First time I've heard anything like this and dont' know how true it is but, it certainly would be a very dangerous and terrible thing to do. There are very few working land lines in those areas now and the people who do have cell phones and are trying to reach loved ones should not be toyed with like this.

Oh, to be a big fish in the Pond, what must that be like? I wonder. [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Craddog:

UPDATE: We can now report that the jamming of New Orleans' communications is emanating from a pirate radio station in the Caribbean. The noise is continuous and it is jamming frequencies, including emergency high frequency (HF) radios, in the New Orleans area.

Jamming just 7 frequencies would be entirely pointless. Any decent two-way radio can use multiple frequencies. And some of these would be completely pointless to jam:

72.0MHz - The 72.00 to 72.00MHz band is used by radio-controlers for R/C airplanes.

45.0MHz - Used to be an old police frequency, but now used mostly for cordless phones and baby monitors.

10.245MHz/10.240 MHz - Amateur radio band

11.340 MHz - Aeronautical Mobile for transoceanic flights.

233 MHz - Amateur radio band

455 MHz - Used mostly for dispatch radios (taxi services, etc)

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RichardM
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichardM   Author's Homepage   E-mail RichardM   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But it is true that FEMA did not activate their volunteer emergency communications groups known as RACES and did not allow RACES members from out of state to come help.
Posts: 129 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jamming New Orleans comms from the Carribean? The power that would take would be huge. I forget the math but the energy requirement is a function of the distance between the transmitter and the receiver, the jammer and the receiver, the power of the transmitter, and the relative heights of all three stations. The Warlock systems just don't have a strong enough signal to jam at that distance.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RichardM
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichardM   Author's Homepage   E-mail RichardM   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pinqy,
I spent much of yesterday monitoring the Salvation Army net. I was listening to a conversation between a ham in New Jersey, one in south Florida and another in California. None of them were running high powered amplifies, they just have good antennas. My next door neighbor regularly converses with the South Sea Islands using only 100W of transmitting power. Point being, it does not take a large amount of power to jam radio communications.
Richard

Posts: 129 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what little information is available on WARLOCK, it's used to foil remote detonators on IED's. That means two things...it's frequency-agile over a wide range of frequencies, and it's activated as needed, not a continous transmission over single frequencies.

RichardM is correct, however...all the jamming station has to do is be a stronger signal at the receiving station than the transmitting station. You can 'jam' a frequency simply by keying the mike and leaving it keyed (I used to do radio duty at a brigade HQ. I don't know how many times someone's left the mike loose in their HMMWV or track and set something down on it or sat on it and 'jammed' the brigade net...argh!).

However, all those frequencies except the 11.340 and 10.240/5 hertz signals are VHF...Unlike HF signals that bounce off the ionosphere and travel vast distances, VHF signals are line-of-sight, so you can't jam them from over the horizon. And the Caribbean is definitely over the horizon from New Orleans.

The HF (shortwave) frequencies might be in use by a station in the Caribbean. It doesn't have to be a 'pirate' station, either. There are plenty of licensed stations that might be using that frequency, some of which might broadcast continously for long periods of time (Radio Cuba, for example).

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages