snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » U.S. to blame for Katrina (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: U.S. to blame for Katrina
Dieter Meyer
Deck the Malls

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dieter Meyer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems like everything is President Bush's fault. One day after Katrina hammered the Gulf Coast, German commentators are laying into the US for its stubborn attitude to global warming and Kyoto.

I think someone mentioned how long they thought it would go before Phelps blamed America for the hurricane; seems like Germany's Environmental Minister, Jürgen Trittin, got there first.

ETA: Seems it was already mentioned here.

--------------------
"Soyons désinvoltes; n'ayons l'air de rien" - Noir Désir

Posts: 255 | From: Norvegr | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He begins by likening the photos and videos of the hurricane stricken areas to scenes from a Roland Emmerich sci-fi film
What do hurricanes have to do with alien invasions?

...oh.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that Hurricane expert, William Gray, dismisses global warming claims.

quote:
You don’t believe global warming is causing climate change?

G: No. If it is, it is causing such a small part that it is negligible. I’m not disputing that there has been global warming. There was a lot of global warming in the 1930s and ’40s, and then there was a slight global cooling from the middle ’40s to the early ’70s. And there has been warming since the middle ’70s, especially in the last 10 years. But this is natural, due to ocean circulation changes and other factors. It is not human induced.

That must be a controversial position among hurricane researchers.

G: Nearly all of my colleagues who have been around 40 or 50 years are skeptical as hell about this whole global-warming thing. But no one asks us. If you don’t know anything about how the atmosphere functions, you will of course say, “Look, greenhouse gases are going up, the globe is warming, they must be related.” Well, just because there are two associations, changing with the same sign, doesn’t mean that one is causing the other.

With last year’s hurricane season so active, and this year’s looking like it will be, won’t people say it’s evidence of global warming?

G: The Atlantic has had more of these storms in the least 10 years or so, but in other ocean basins, activity is slightly down. Why would that be so if this is climate change? The Atlantic is a special basin? The number of major storms in the Atlantic also went way down from the middle 1960s to the middle ’90s, when greenhouse gases were going up.

Why is there scientific support for the idea?

G: So many people have a vested interest in this global-warming thing—all these big labs and research and stuff. The idea is to frighten the public, to get money to study it more. Now that the cold war is over, we have to generate a common enemy to support science, and what better common enemy for the globe than greenhouse gases?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Atlantic is special in someway however, it has the North Atlantic Drift and in two distinct areas warm water from the Caribbean heading towards Europe meets cold water coming off Eastern Canada and East Greenland. My knowledge of hurricane formation certainly isn't good enough to postulate whether this is what causes hurricanes in the Atlantic but I imagine the different temperatures of currant do have an effect on the intensity at least.

Now here's the catch, global warming melts the sea ice in the Arctic, and by flooding the Norweign sea with fresh water it could switch the North Atlantic Drift off. Europe is boned, and these two meeting points of warm and cold water would be turned off too.

So as with everything else to do with global warming - We Don't Know.

I blame Bush, Martha Stewart and Oprah.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was those dang quantum butterflies.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
snip... My knowledge of hurricane formation certainly isn't good enough to postulate whether this is what causes hurricanes in the Atlantic snip...

FYI... nothing to do with it, Atlantic hurricanes are 'born' in the equatorial atlantic off the coast of Africa.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 202 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
Interesting that Hurricane expert, William Gray, dismisses global warming claims.

Isn't early September about the time of year when Gray 'revises' his forecast?

More info (my annual post):
Anyone who claims to "forecast the hurricane season" is a fraud.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Traveller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Americans) make up a mere 4 percent of the population, but are responsible for close to a quarter of emissions." He adds that the average American is responsible for double as much carbon dioxide as the average European.
ot: Ah memories! I was hit by these two little factoids (along with many others covering the plethora of American sins) during a pleasant dinner with my European colleagues in the UK a few years ago.

I like William Gray's position although I suspect it's highly unpopular and I have no idea how viable it is. But even if it holds scientific water it will never be accepted because that would be an admission of defeat. No matter what we as humans do the inexorable melting of the ice caps and global warming will continue with all its nasty consequences. I don't think we as humans can accept that we have no control over such catastrophic change. And it'll really be no fun at all sans the Merkin bashing.

Posts: 374 | From: Georgia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hoitoider:
Isn't early September about the time of year when Gray 'revises' his forecast?

More info (my annual post):
Anyone who claims to "forecast the hurricane season" is a fraud.

I am quite open to the idea that the hurricane season forecast is a fraud. However, your link does nothing to convince me of it. What I would like to see is an independent assessment of whether Gray's forecasts are more accurate than chance. Also, are Gray's August forecasts more accurate than his forecasts earlier in the summer?

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of curiosity:

The Greenhouse Effect is really easy to simulate (in, admittedly, lab conditions far less complex than the Earth's global atmosphere).

So, do the anti-global-warming advocates have an explanation for why it is not occurring?

I can understand the reasons for saying that the effect being measured may well have completely different causes, but is there a particular logic for why this cause (the increase of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere) is otherwise having no effect?

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PhysicsGuy
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhysicsGuy   E-mail PhysicsGuy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got to emphasize that this is not even close to my field and composed entirely of what I've read in Science News and gleaned from conversations with Profs with more than enough to say about just about anything: My understanding is that there is a flaw with the lab based greenhouse effect tests, in that they don't account for natural chemical sinks. Particularly, many fail to consider the oceans' ability to absorb carbon dioxide.

Edit for spelling

--------------------
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Posts: 32 | From: Hoboken, NJ | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:

Gray's claim of no dispute among his peers is flat wrong.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider

Icon 203 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Katrina's real name

THE HURRICANE that struck Louisiana yesterday was nicknamed Katrina by the National Weather Service. Its real name is global warming.

Aw, Nuts! Cold Winter Ahead

A severe winter lies ahead. So says Accu-Weather, a weather service based in Pennsylvania. Predictions printed in the Aug. 20 Courant said temperatures here will be two or three degrees below normal.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fusca 1976
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fusca 1976   E-mail Fusca 1976   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
is there a particular logic for why this cause (the increase of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere) is otherwise having no effect?

We don't want it to be true, so it isn't?

Luís Henrique

Posts: 4498 | From: Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hoitoider:
Katrina's real name

THE HURRICANE that struck Louisiana yesterday was nicknamed Katrina by the National Weather Service. Its real name is global warming.

Aw, Nuts! Cold Winter Ahead

A severe winter lies ahead. So says Accu-Weather, a weather service based in Pennsylvania. Predictions printed in the Aug. 20 Courant said temperatures here will be two or three degrees below normal.

Are you linking these together to support the theory of global climate change, or to try to refute it?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Are you linking these together to support the theory of global climate change, or to try to refute it?

As the article says, large amounts of warm water will cause a cold winter, just like large amounts of warm water caused a hot summer and the recent hurricane. See the difference?

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Between what? Are you saying that because a cold winter is forecast, we're not undergoing global warming?

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don't Call Me Shirley
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Look at this Too

At the very least, the statements of the German official (and others) is disingenuous at best.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not "controversial"? (BTW: your link requires registration).

--------------------

Don't Call Me Shirley

quote:
Why not "controversial"? (BTW: your link requires registration).
Sure controversial. But, as far as a government official making this statement, I'll say disingenuous also.

As far as the link, I don't run the NYT, and I registration is free AFAIK.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(BTW: your link requires registration).

I was under the impression that linking to a site requiring registration was not a no-no. Linking to a site requiring a paid subscription was, however.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilbeard
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilbeard   E-mail evilbeard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would in no way say that the US, or Bush, is responsible for the hurricane. I would wonder if the federal government prepared adequately and all resources were available, when I see things like these:
Did New Orleans Catastrophe Have to Happen? 'Times-Picayune' Had Repeatedly Raised Federal Spending Issues
quote:
New Orleans had long known it was highly vulnerable to flooding and a direct hit from a hurricane. In fact, the federal government has been working with state and local officials in the region since the late 1960s on major hurricane and flood relief efforts. When flooding from a massive rainstorm in May 1995 killed six people, Congress authorized the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, or SELA.

Over the next 10 years, the Army Corps of Engineers, tasked with carrying out SELA, spent $430 million on shoring up levees and building pumping stations, with $50 million in local aid. But at least $250 million in crucial projects remained, even as hurricane activity in the Atlantic Basin increased dramatically and the levees surrounding New Orleans continued to subside.

Yet after 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward SELA dropped to a trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at the same time as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain. At least nine articles in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically cite the cost of Iraq as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and flood-control dollars.

Newhouse News Service, in an article posted late Tuesday night at The Times-Picayune Web site, reported: "No one can say they didn't see it coming. ... Now in the wake of one of the worst storms ever, serious questions are being asked about the lack of preparation."

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans CityBusiness.

quote:
The Newhouse News Service article published Tuesday night observed, "The Louisiana congressional delegation urged Congress earlier this year to dedicate a stream of federal money to Louisiana's coast, only to be opposed by the White House. ... In its budget, the Bush administration proposed a significant reduction in funding for southeast Louisiana's chief hurricane protection project. Bush proposed $10.4 million, a sixth of what local officials say they need."

Local officials are now saying, the article reported, that had Washington heeded their warnings about the dire need for hurricane protection, including building up levees and repairing barrier islands, "the damage might not have been nearly as bad as it turned out to be."

and New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; $71.2 million reduction in federal funding. (6/12/2005)
quote:
I've been here over 30 years and I've never seen this level of reduction, said Al Naomi, project manager for the New Orleans district. I think part of the problem is it's not so much the reduction, it's the drastic reduction in one fiscal year. It's the immediacy of the reduction that I think is the hardest thing to adapt to.

There is an economic ripple effect, too. The cuts mean major hurricane and flood protection projects will not be awarded to local engineering firms. Also, a study to determine ways to protect the region from a Category 5 hurricane has been shelved for now.

quote:
The construction portion of the Corps' budget would suffer if Congress doesn't add money. In 2005, the district received $94.3 million in federal dollars dedicated to construction. In 2006, the proposal is for $56 million.

It would be critical to this city if we had a $50 million construction budget compared with the past years, Demma said. It would be horrible for the city, it would be horrible for contractors and for flood protection if this were the final number compared to recent years and what the city needs.

Construction generally has been on the decline for several years and focus has been on other projects in the Corps.

The district has identified $35 million in projects to build and improve levees, floodwalls and pumping stations in St. Bernard, Orleans, Jefferson and St. Charles parishes. Those projects are included in a Corps line item called Lake Pontchartrain, where funding is scheduled to be cut from $5.7 million this year to $2.9 million in 2006. Naomi said it's enough to pay salaries but little else.

which leads us too: New Orleans shelters to be evacuated
quote:
"The Corps Of Engineers has attempted to fix the situation under emergency conditions," Blanco told CNN. "They're not the best conditions, and probably too little, too late."
and when it comes to the national guard units available: Updates as they come in on Katrina
quote:
Some six-thousand National Guard personnel from Louisiana and Mississippi who would otherwise be available to help deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina are in Iraq.

Even so, Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita said the states have adequate National Guard units to handle the hurricane needs. He said about six-thousand-500 National Guard troops were available in Louisiana, about seven-thousand in Mississippi, nearly ten-thousand in Alabama and about eight-thousand-200 in Florida.

when florida during Hurricane Andrew got 24,525

Strain of Iraq War Means the Relief Burden Will Have to Be Shared
quote:
National Guard officials in the states acknowledged that the scale of the destruction is stretching the limits of available manpower while placing another extraordinary demand on their troops -- most of whom have already served tours in Iraq or Afghanistan or in homeland defense missions since 2001.

More than 6,000 Guard members were mobilized in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida when the storm struck on Monday, with the number rising to 8,000 yesterday and hundreds more expected to be called to active duty, National Guard officials said yesterday.

"Missing the personnel is the big thing in this particular event. We need our people," said Lt. Andy Thaggard, a spokesman for the Mississippi National Guard, which has a brigade of more than 4,000 troops in central Iraq. Louisiana also has about 3,000 Guard troops in Baghdad.

Mississippi has about 40 percent of its Guard force deployed or preparing to deploy and has called up all remaining Guard units for hurricane relief, Thaggard said. Those include the Army band based in Jackson, Miss. "They are mustering transportation to move them south," he said. Soldiers who have lost their homes are exempt, he said.

quote:
Recruiting and retention problems are worsening the strain on Guard forces in hurricane-ravaged states. Alabama's Army National Guard has a strength of 11,000 troops -- or 78 percent of the authorized number. "We're just losing too many out the back door," Arnold said.
Navy Ships and Maritime Rescue Teams Are Sent to Region
quote:
The biggest challenge is getting enough resources - especially helicopters and small boats - to the area for the rescue work we have to do," said Lt. Gene Maestas, a Coast Guard spokesman in Washington. He said the Coast Guard had scores of small craft with outboard motors, but they were reaching the region at a frustratingly slow pace.

Late Tuesday, the Coast Guard called back to duty 500 reservists as part of the hurricane response.

quote:
The governors of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi have called up about 10,000 members of their National Guards and are expected to mobilize more, the Pentagon said. Several neighboring states, including Arkansas and Texas, were also calling up Guard soldiers.

Pentagon officials asserted that deployment of thousands of National Guard members from the gulf states to Iraq and Afghanistan had not affected relief efforts. But on Tuesday the two hardest-hit states, Louisiana and Mississippi, which each have more than 3,000 National Guard troops in Iraq, requested military specialists and equipment from other states, ranging from military police and engineers to helicopters and five-ton, high-wheeled trucks that can traverse the flood waters.

and I do question why Bush kept making PR appearances: President Bush plays a guitar presented to him by Country Singer Mark Wills, 8/30/2005McCain's Birthday Cake, 8/29/2005

While the flood waters continued to rise, and to continue to push his medicare plan instead of returning to Washington: President Discusses Medicare, New Prescription Drug Benefits

reproduction of White House's Web Page for 8/30/2005

and, now, finally, is returning, obstensively to oversee relief: Bush returns to DC to oversee relief for Katrina
quote:
President Bush will cut short his vacation by two days and return to Washington on Wednesday to oversee federal relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina, the White House said Tuesday.

The president changed his plans to return to Washington on Friday following a Tuesday morning briefing on the damage caused by the devastating storm.

Why did it take until today to get him to cut short the vacation and the appearances? how about when Katrina first hit? And it looks like others are wondering the same thing: The day Arizona was in the eye of Hurricane George
quote:
I'm guessing that Monday, Aug. 29, 2005, will not be remembered as the day President George W. Bush stopped by a retirement community in El Mirage to discuss prescription drug benefits for seniors.

As nice as it was to have the president visit the state we live in, I believe it would have been OK with us if Mr. Bush had canceled or at least postponed his plans in order to monitor the progress of Hurricane Katrina and to review federal relief plans.

As it is, however, the president decided to visit El Mirage. Life goes on. He spoke briefly about the hurricane, promising disaster relief. Then, after urging Americans to pray for those most affected by the storm, Bush said, "I also want to talk about immigration." I've got a feeling that historians looking back on this day will not describe that transition as a particularly shining presidential moment.

quote:
Bush could have pointed this out. He could have skipped Arizona for Washington, D.C. He could have said that war, immigration, Social Security, Medicare and the rest are important, but for this day let's put them aside, along with the rest of our personal and political special interests, and concentrate on the folks in the path of the storm.

Disaster experts said Monday that it could take days or weeks before we understand the full extent of the damage caused by Katrina. Yet by afternoon the hurricane story seemed to have been downgraded more than the hurricane.

Monday will not be remembered for the trip that President Bush made to a retirement community in El Mirage. But a clever historian might mark Aug. 29, 2005, as the day when Americans proved that even in the face of a hurricane we couldn't get over ourselves.

New Orleans in Peril
quote:
But this seems like the wrong moment to dwell on fault-finding, or even to point out that it took what may become the worst natural disaster in American history to pry President Bush out of his vacation. All the focus now must be on rescuing the survivors. Beyond that lies a long and painful recovery, which must begin with a national vow to help all the storm victims and to save and repair New Orleans.

--------------------
rex linum occisor et erronis

But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey."

Posts: 1022 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

No, it's not a no-no, but it would be a good idea to summarize the argument and quote it a bit to help readers see if it's worth making the effort to register.

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree entirely. I belong to another board where some people sometimes give their new thread a curiosity provoking title, but when you open the message, all that's there is a link.

Very irritating, and pretty much guarantees I'm not going to follow the link--it's as though they think they're reviewing a movie and they don't want to spoil it for you, but in their anxiety they forget to tell you the title of the movie they're not ruining.

And if you can untangle that, I think there's some meaning to be found...

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don't Call Me Shirley

quote:
No, it's not a no-no, but it would be a good idea to summarize the argument and quote it a bit to help readers see if it's worth making the effort to register.
I can always count on you Chloe. It's the freakin NYT for geez sake. Don't register, I don't give a damn.
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Ah. The NYT being the Voice of God, there's no reason for you to give us a hint concerning the article.

Seaboe

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm already registered, so I'll do it. It's an opinion piece, which goes over research saying that the pattern of hurricane activity in the Atlantic is cyclic and we are on the "active" portion of a cycle, much like we were in the 50s. Quite interesting, actually.

See, that wasn't so very hard!

And for goodness' sake, DCMS, it's usually SOP to give at least a title or a summary or a quote or something when you are linking. See, for example, evilbeard's post above.

And what is up lately with people jumping on Chloe every time she genuinely asks for information? I thought it was the mark of a well-reasoned person to do so before forming an opinion? Better asking for more information than jumping to conclusions!

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Groveldog

Forget Kyoto... I'm thinking "Boy Who Cried Wolf".

Day After Tomorrow, Volcano, Independence Day, 10.5, Outbreak, Twister et al.

It was bound to happen... Talk about jinxing yourself.

Ok, only making a funny in an ironic sense. Always makes me raise an eyebrow to see all these films where a major event takes place in the US. But to blame it on Kyoto... Man, I'm an Australian (the only other country not to ratify Kyoto, because John Howard has his head so up George Dybbya's arse) and I can't picture the press saying the same thing if we were hit by a natural disaster.

Unfortunately, I think Katrina was bound to happen for the simple fact that the Southern US states have always been hit by hurricanes, and there had to be one to top the last "worst ever" at some point.

There's no reason to blame anyone. It's weather, nothing more. Let the fundamentalists blame their God, while the rest of us learn to deal with nature.

Don't Call Me Shirley

quote:
Ah. The NYT being the Voice of God, there's no reason for you to give us a hint concerning the article.
No, it certainly is not the "Voice of God." However, it being a major news source, I do not think that it was unreasonable for me to assume that many people would already be registered (especially considering the fact that registration is free). Be that as it may, the point is well-taken, and the substance of it is really a non-issue to me.

I think my issue with Chloe was the fact that I was the only person called-out when others do, (and did in this thread) the same thing. I was simply pointing out how petty Chloe was.

Don't Call Me Shirley

quote:
And for goodness' sake, DCMS, it's usually SOP to give at least a title or a summary or a quote or something when you are linking. See, for example, evilbeard's post above.

And what is up lately with people jumping on Chloe every time she genuinely asks for information? I thought it was the mark of a well-reasoned person to do so before forming an opinion? Better asking for more information than jumping to conclusions!

Oh, so sorry Turquoisegirl. Thank you for setting me straight. Now, if you'd like to say the same thing to...oh, I don't know..Pogue maybe (i.e., see his post above).

And as far as Chloe is concerned, why don't you keep out of it. I have found her to be petty and condescending in many arguments that I have had with her. So, Im just joining in the game.

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Enjoy!

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, DCMS, show me one (just one) other example in this thread of a person providing a link to a site without providing a strong idea of what will be found there, either as a link title or a summary, and I will cede you my pettiness. It will also help your argument if the site linked to requires registration. If you can't find one, feel free to apologise.

ETA: And telling TGirl to "keep out of it" is extraordinarily rude.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

quote:
Originally posted by Don't Call Me Shirley:
Oh, so sorry Turquoisegirl. Thank you for setting me straight. Now, if you'd like to say the same thing to...oh, I don't know..Pogue maybe (i.e., see his post above).

Pogue summarized the argument he was linking to in the link itself.

quote:
And as far as Chloe is concerned, why don't you keep out of it. I have found her to be petty and condescending in many arguments that I have had with her. So, Im just joining in the game.
Translation: I haven't been able to beat her in an argument yet, so I thought I'd just call her names.

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don't Call Me Shirley:
quote:

But Pogue doesn't get all pissy if someone asks for clarification.

quote:
Joining in the game? Joining in the game? You own the game asfar as I have been able to tell by reading your posts on other threads, and as evidenced by your responses to a civil requests for more information.

As far as the Chloe thing, it's just that I had noticed lately that people in general, not just you, have gotten rather snippy when people ask for additional information. Since Chloe seems to be one of the people who is best at asking clarifying questions, she is taking the heat. It's not all about you.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Three things:

1) DCMS, "petty"? you could perhaps still redeem yourself with chloe if you were to claim you forgot the "r"...

2) THe NY Times IS the voice of god, so I don't see what the problem is.

3) since my snopesister callie seems to have missed her cue, I shall bring this whole link-needs-registration constroversy to a gloriously happy resolution by directing you all to www.bugmenot.com

cheers!

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages