snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Texas Governor Rick Perry rumor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Texas Governor Rick Perry rumor
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Subject: News from Austin

OK, I just wanted to share this with my friends who are inclined to support the Democrats in the next election, or who at least want to see the current administration tossed out on its ear.

Those of you who live in Austin may have already heard the rumors, so bear with me on this.

A couple of folks that I work with have some "insider" information from sources close to the Governor's office that the rumors are, indeed, true. And, I received an e-mail today from a Democratic Party group that was organized to fight the recent re-districting that makes reference to the "recent rumors surrounding Governor Perry's personal life."

If this is true, the Republicans are going to have a VERY hard time keeping this quiet much longer. Supposedly, there is some major sidestepping going on now among the spin doctors to put a different "slant" on this.

It seems that the First Lady of Texas has moved OUT of the Governor's mansion this week. The reason -- She found out that her hubby Rick has been having an affair. How did she find out? She walked in on him in bed with his lover. The best part -- his lover is another man! The story around town is that he and Secretary of State Geoffrey Conner have been having an affair for years.

Now, frankly, I usually don't care who sleeps with whom. I really think that is nobody's business. But seeing has how the Republicans have always had such a Holier Than Thou attitude toward the Democrats when it comes to moral issues involving sleeping partners, and considering that Bush and his compadres are so determined to outlaw same-sex marriages, I find the possibility that these rumors are true to be truly delicious!

Yes, friends, the Democrats may have just received their just reward for wanting to do the right thing for this country. And they may get their chance. Here's to Freedom of the Press! Let's see what develops next....

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This as been all over democraticunderground and other lefty web sites for the last 5 or 6 days I've heard a SF talk show host talking about it

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

OK, I just wanted to share this with my friends who are inclined to support the Democrats in the next election, or who at least want to see the current administration tossed out on its ear.

Those of you who live in Austin may have already heard the rumors, so bear with me on this.

A couple of folks that I work with have some "insider" information from sources close to the Governor's office that the rumors are, indeed, true. And, I received an e-mail today from a Democratic Party group that was organized to fight the recent re-districting that makes reference to the "recent rumors surrounding Governor Perry's personal life."

If this is true, the Republicans are going to have a VERY hard time keeping this quiet much longer. Supposedly, there is some major sidestepping going on now among the spin doctors to put a different "slant" on this.

It seems that the First Lady of Texas has moved OUT of the Governor's mansion this week. The reason -- She found out that her hubby Rick has been having an affair. How did she find out? She walked in on him in bed with his lover. The best part -- his lover is another man! The story around town is that he and Secretary of State Geoffrey Conner have been having an affair for years.

Now, frankly, I usually don't care who sleeps with whom. I really think that is nobody's business. But seeing has how the Republicans have always had such a Holier Than Thou attitude toward the Democrats when it comes to moral issues involving sleeping partners, and considering that Bush and his compadres are so determined to outlaw same-sex marriages, I find the possibility that these rumors are true to be truly delicious!

Yes, friends, the Democrats may have just received their just reward for wanting to do the right thing for this country. And they may get their chance. Here's to Freedom of the Press! Let's see what develops next....

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd heard about it the other day, but, since it's not been covered by a reputable source, I'm not believing it.

Shocking that Drudge isn't covering it, though! :snicker:

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angl Hearts and Minds Rdr:
I'd heard about it the other day, but, since it's not been covered by a reputable source, I'm not believing it.

Shocking that Drudge isn't covering it, though! :snicker:

The difference is Drudge was reporting that journalists were working on the story and they were quoting Gen Wes Clark as saying Kerry has a problem Drudge never said she was an Intern or worked for Kerry he just quoted what Clark said
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unnamed reporters....

Drudge is a hack.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizake the mizan
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is the most interesting part.

quote:
Now, frankly, I usually don't care who sleeps with whom. I really think that is nobody's business. But seeing has how the Republicans have always had such a Holier Than Thou attitude toward the Democrats when it comes to moral issues involving sleeping partners,
Oh?

(*warning: clinton rant)*

Do you remember a certain biggoted policy known as "don't ask, don't tell" that made it acceptible for people to be fired for who their sleeping partners were?

Do you remember which "holier-than-thou" Republican president signed this bill into law?

Do you remember a certain surgeon general who was fired for making suggestions that sexual activities other than intercourse might be good alternatives for preventing pregancy?

Do you remember which "holier-than-thou" Republican president asked her to resign?

Many people seem to expect the Democractic party to take an enlightened view towards homosexuality. Kerry's stance against gay marriage isn't enlightened. Using homosexuality as a "smear" is even less enlightened.

I don't think either party can even pretend to take a moral high ground here.

---
Brought to you by the committe that wants you to "Vote Third Party in 2004"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes, is this really you? The tone of your post has me baffled. If so, what does this mean?
quote:
the Democrats may have just received their just reward for wanting to do the right thing for this country.

Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The rule of thumb I use is that snopes' posts are signed at the bottom. If it isn't, it's something he's posting he recieved.

Of course I could be wrong.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When snopes is quoting someone, he usually writes "comment" at the top. That's what threw me for a moment. But as I read it, I realized it is not his "voice" and he is, indeed, quoting somone.

(or at least I hope so...)

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Schizm

The fact that this story was 'leaked' before it could be authenticated makes it sound like it's an old political trick for character assassination. Since the sources are vague there's no accountability. Unfortuanately, once this kind of buzz is in people's ears, it won't ever go completely away.

As far as the remark of the Rupublicans being holier than thou and hypocrits, IT WORKS BOTH WAYS!! It seems as a party the Democrats make a big pretense of being for the poor and the working man, yet one of their biggest families consists of wealthy, professional politicians who have at times used their influence to help their own. My point is, they're all the same. It all depends on who your home team is as to who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.

WonderWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonderWoman   E-mail WonderWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, so the rumors have made national news. I work at the Capitol here in Austin, so needless to say I've been hearing this rumor for weeks. At first I didn't believe it because the guy in my office who was talking about it is known for making up stories about politicians of a certain party. Then I heard about it from a friend who'd heard it from the Austin LiveJournal community, and then from other people in my office whose ears are closer to the ground than mine.
Some various parts to the rumor that I've heard:
- Mr. and Mrs. Perry were seen not sitting with eachother at some sort of official function. This was before the rumor of her moving out the mansion came out.
- One of the governor's male staff members had quit his job because Mr. Perry had made a pass at him.
- Several other male staff members are complaining about inappropriate (i.e. sexual) comments being made to them by the governor.

Of course, these are all rumors. I don't work for the governor's office, and I'm pretty low on the totem pole in my own agency, so what I hear has no more veracity than any other rumors going around.

Posts: 107 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
My Stressa Valentine

quote:

Okay, I'm a lifelong Democrat, and this post just depresses the living bejesus out of me. I am sickened and saddened by it.

So, the "just reward" for Texas Democrats will be to see this family destroyed? That the wife will be humiliated, and their painful situation will be smeared all over the papers? I am not familiar with the current Gov. of Texas, so I'm not sure if he has made anti-homosexual remarks or something to justify this glee, but if this is merely "yay, we might win because he's gay", then shame. And shame anyway -- this is just the worst excuse for "politics" (and I'm a schadenfreude junkie).

I remember feeling terrible for Hillary Clinton when the press would film her at the White House after the whole Monicagate blew up and made her defense of her husband look stupid and naive. And I feel terrible for this woman, being put in this spotlight. If he's sexually harassing his staff, that's another matter. But a marriage disintegrating (or a closeted life, or a forced "outing") - that is something to feel sympathy about, not glee.

- Stressa

Tampa Rob

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by My Stressa Valentine:
[QUOTE][qb] Subject: News from Austin
... But a marriage disintegrating (or a closeted life, or a forced "outing") - that is something to feel sympathy about, not glee.

- Stressa

Hear, hear. We can't very well hold any sort of high ground if we leap down the throats of conservatives who have family problems.

Only exceptions I can see - hypocricy towards gays, or the "Limbaugh rule", whereby any questions/legal action regarding said affair becomes a conspiracy by the left to destroy someone.

Clinton's family went through hell. Don't put this man through it.

Also, I'm not convinced it's true. Let the process play out, and don't destroy a family for political gain.

TR

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WonderWoman:
Wow, so the rumors have made national news.

Actually, the only place I've seen it is here. Despite what those on the right may think, the national media doesn't work overtime to dig up dirt on Republicans while ignoring Democratic pecadillos.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jeez, I certainly have no love for our current administration, but I have to agree that the tone of this story is pretty childish. I hadn't heard this story until Thursday night. Between Thursday & Saturday, I think four people in different circles brought it up. If you're interested, this site, which is a Democratic site, has put a little more effort into tracking the source of the rumors.
http://www.burntorangereport.com/archives/001102.html

Like I said, I have no love for Gov. Perry. If anything did happen, I'll bet that it was a woman, as many early versions stated. For Perry, this could turn out to be the equivalent of Gere's gerbil: widely denied, widely believed.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Papa Bear

quote:
Originally posted by mizake the mizan:
(*warning: clinton rant)*

Do you remember a certain biggoted policy known as "don't ask, don't tell" that made it acceptible for people to be fired for who their sleeping partners were?

Do you remember which "holier-than-thou" Republican president signed this bill into law?

Do you remember a certain surgeon general who was fired for making suggestions that sexual activities other than intercourse might be good alternatives for preventing pregancy?

Do you remember which "holier-than-thou" Republican president asked her to resign?

I can't let this go unanswered.

First of all, Clinton did not sign any "don't ask, don't tell" bill into law. It's a policy, not a law. Besides, it's a compromise policy. Before this, the military was actively investigating people to find out if they were gay so they could be thrown out of the service. "Don't ask, don't tell" stopped the investigations.

Secondly, yes, Joycelyn Elders was asked to resign as Surgeon General. But it was just to appease right-wingers who flew off the handle about her remarks.

At least Clinton made some token efforts to make the other side happy once in a while. God forbid the shrub possibly accepts that someone he disagrees with might legitimately be unhappy about something his administration is responsible for.

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Seattle-area politician (who I will not name), was the subject of a similar rumor some years ago. He and his wife are friends of mine, and even attended our wedding. It was a smear campaign, not even remotely true, but there are people in town who will swear it happened, because a FOAF "was there" and knows "the facts." It will never go away, and it makes me sick.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hamilton Burger

I am not in Austin but I still have a lot of ties there, and I have just heard the rumor too many times for me to believe that there is nothing there. More to the point, it is not simply that Governor Perry was caught in bed with "some guy." The rumors name the guy in question (Secretary of State Geoff Conner) and name the divorce lawyer that Mrs. Perry has hired (Becky Beavers--the nasty divorce lawyer in Travis County).

The most interesting thing is not the rumor itself, but who is spreading the rumor. Certainly, Democrats in Texas are having some fun with the rumor. But there are not really enough Democrats left in this state to create more than a hushed whisper. Instead, most of the noise is coming from Republicans. Perry has, in my judgment, been a tremendously bad governor and if this helps take him down, I am all in favor of it. And I say that as a partisan Republican. Even before this broke, I intended to support his primary opponent in two years, and the fact that this may hurt his re-election bid has me very pleased.

The other interesting thing about who is spreading this is alluded to by websites such as the Burnt Orange Report. For more than a century, graduates of The University of Texas ran this state. Just about all of the state's senators, governors and lieutenant governors were Longhorns who got their start in student government. Aggies--those who graduated from Texas A&M University--were the poor farmers in the state who had little political ability and even less ambition. All that started to change in the mid-1980's as Texas shifted from the Democratic Party to the GOP and as A&M became a respectable institution in fields other than animal husbandry. Texas A&M has always been regarded as the basion of conservatism and Republicanism in this state, and so many of their graduates were on the ground floor when the GOP came to power in Texas. Rick Perry is the first Aggie ever elected governor of the State of Texas, and it has really pissed off a lot of Texas alumni. They have acted rather like the Sunnis in Iraq--pissed off at the prospect of being out of power for the first time and dedicated to conducting a guerilla campaign to get the power back.

Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hamilton Burger:

The most interesting thing is not the rumor itself, but who is spreading the rumor. Certainly, Democrats in Texas are having some fun with the rumor. But there are not really enough Democrats left in this state to create more than a hushed whisper. Instead, most of the noise is coming from Republicans.

I'm glad *you* said that. I have been hearing it mostly from Republican sources, but I didn't think anyone would believe me.

By the way, you've been gone quite awhile, so we'll need your doctor's excuse in writing. Oh, never mind, just have a seat, pay attention, and try to catch up.

Gayle
Give 'em hell

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hamilton Burger

What can I tell you--it's been a tough couple of months. I have had too many distractions to keep as up to date as I should.

But I have remained on the ball enough to have heard this rumor early last week, and it came from Republican sources. Perry seems to have a lot of enemies in the Texas Republican Party, as evidenced by the not-very-well-kept secret that Carole Keeton Strayhorn and possibly Kay Bailey Hutchison are going to run against him in the primary in two years. And Perry's incompetence has made me count myself among his enemies, so I have done my level best to spread this rumor.

I don't think I am alone in that. I must say that with limited exception, the Republicans I tell this rumor to are neither very surprised nor very upset at Perry's potential downfall.

RichardMi

Rick and Anita must have made up. They apparently took a trip together over President's Day weekend. And used campaign funds to pay for it. Here is a short quote from an ABC News article:

"He had said Monday that Perry and his wife, Anita, used political campaign funds to cover their costs and that staff expenses were provided through private funds. He did not elaborate."

Minor scandal on whether this was legal or not.
Richard

mizake the mizan

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Bear:
Before this, the military was actively investigating people to find out if they were gay so they could be thrown out of the service. "Don't ask, don't tell" stopped the investigations.

Clinton started from a state of de facto discrimination, which was going on but blatantly illegal, to a state of de iure discrimination, giving bigots in the military a "smiled upon by the executive branch" rubber stamp to FIRE known gay government employees.

The reason we have a republic instead of a democracy is because sometimes the popular sentiment is wrong. Something a policy that is popular is opressive or discriminatory of minority groups. Putting a representive in between the popular vote and the act of legistlation allows measures which are popular, but wrong, to be blocked, or vetoed.

When given the opportunity to protect a minority group, Mr. Clinton instead decided to assist in the persecution. Regardless of who he may have been appeasing, that choice of action was his. In my eyes, that makes worthy of derision and criticism.

quote:
Secondly, yes, Joycelyn Elders was asked to resign as Surgeon General. But it was just to appease right-wingers who flew off the handle about her remarks.
Return of the "vast right-wing conspiracy". You know this is crap. They guy was president of the united states! -- certainly old enough to start taking responsibility for his own actions. HE chose to fire her. No matter how you choose to defelct it, HE'S the one at fault.

quote:
At least Clinton made some token efforts to make the other side happy once in a while. God forbid the shrub possibly accepts that someone he disagrees with might legitimately be unhappy about something his administration is responsible for.
two wrongs &c &c....

(is it only we third party-voters who notice how much political argument is "you can't criticize my guy's policy because the other guy's is worse?)

I am just SO glad that Nader is running again.

Papa Bear

That was just so completely wrong and idiotic that it doesn't deserve any effort on my part to refute.
mizake the mizan

You just go on thinking that...

His support of DOMA shows a second instance of anti-homosexual "policy" on Mr. Clinton's part. You can pretend to deny it, but you man wasa biggoted prude who tried hard to restrict the rights of the american people.

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hamilton Burger:
What can I tell you--it's been a tough couple of months. I have had too many distractions to keep as up to date as I should.

But I have remained on the ball enough to have heard this rumor early last week, and it came from Republican sources. Perry seems to have a lot of enemies in the Texas Republican Party, as evidenced by the not-very-well-kept secret that Carole Keeton Strayhorn and possibly Kay Bailey Hutchison are going to run against him in the primary in two years. And Perry's incompetence has made me count myself among his enemies, so I have done my level best to spread this rumor.

I don't think I am alone in that. I must say that with limited exception, the Republicans I tell this rumor to are neither very surprised nor very upset at Perry's potential downfall.

I'm sorry, but when Hamilton Burger makes a post like this about someone named Perry, I begin to think he's just resentful that Perry keeps beating him in court all the time, plus has a better secretary. [Wink]

Four Five "Della Street and Courthouse Lane" Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hamilton Burger

It is hardly my fault that the police keep arresting the wrong person.
RichardMi

This rumor must be true. Rick Perry released a statement to the press today denying it. :-)
Richard

WonderWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 603 posted      Profile for WonderWoman   E-mail WonderWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In case anybody is interested, here is the link to the Austin American-Statesman article regarding Gov. Perry's statements of denial.

Does anybody remember the gossip game? It was meant to show how things get so easily twisted as they are passed from one person to another. It was played with a group of people sitting in a circle. The first person would whisper a statement into the ear of the person beside them. That person would then repeat what they heard into the next person's ear, and so on until it got to the last person. They would then say aloud what they had heard, and the person who started the rumor would say what they had originally said, and the two statements were usually completely different. That's what seems to have happened here, only on a much larger scale due to the rapid-fire rumor spreading ability of the internet. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that the rumor had been started by a single person making something up. I know people who would do such a thing just to see what happened.

Communication in the 21st century is a crazy thing.

Posts: 107 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dramaqueen872005
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dramaqueen872005   E-mail dramaqueen872005   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If only, snopes, if only. I would LOVE to see Rick Perry out of office. He is screwing everything up worse than Bush did before he left office.

[hijack]

The latest thing to bug me:

He wants people to be able to teach without going through teacher training.

Let me tell you something: I go to high school. I am a junior. High school kids will EAT YOU ALIVE if you don't have any experience with teenagers. Even elem. school isn't as bad as us (in a diff. sense of course).

[/hijack]

Sorry for that rant... needed to express my anger. It would be hilarious if Perry was gay.

Godzilla Queen

--------------------
"I'm Jimmy Joe Dean," he said, "Sort of like James Dean, but with a Texas twist"
"Yeah," Brent muttered. "The original Rebel Without a Brain."
~Drive me Wild, Julie Ortolon

Posts: 444 | From: Round Rock/San Angelo, TX | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages