snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » The truth about recycling (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The truth about recycling
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, should we recycle or should we not recycle? That is the question.

- Pseudo "so confused" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
So, should we recycle or should we not recycle? That is the question.

- Pseudo "so confused" Croat

Yes, we should. Even if only some of what we put in the recycling bin or blue bag is recycled, it's worth it. And if the city is going to spend money on seperate pickups for recyclables in addition to the garbage pickups, it's a pretty good bet that they are recycling whatever they can.

If you want to make it easier, call your recycling centre, waste management department, or whoever is in charge of it in your area and find out exactly what you should be putting out as recyclables and what the guidelines are, such as washing jars.

If they want jars to be cleaned and you don't want to wash them, make it easier for the recycling sorters by putting the dirty jar in the garbage.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wingsoficarus:
our government doesn't see recycling as "cost effective."

It is not "our government," it's our reality.

New York Times March 30, 2002 ABSTRACT - Few companies have achieved economies of scale that could maker plastic recycling pay; manufacturers say they cannot get stream of high-quality material at reasonable price, while recyclers say they cannot guarantee such a stream until sales grow robust enough to drive down costs; Environmental Protection Agency says nearly 95 percent of 24.2 million tons of plastic waste generated each year still goes unreclaimed; plastics take up disproportionate and growing share of landfill space

And for those willing to brave the London Telegraph:

The Swedish group said that the "vision of a recycling market booming by 2010 was a dream 40 years ago and is still just a dream."

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eisenberg:
(...) And for those willing to brave the London Telegraph:

The Swedish group said that the "vision of a recycling market booming by 2010 was a dream 40 years ago and is still just a dream."

Ah, yes. Good old Valfrid Paulsson created quite a ruckus over here for a brief period of time. Haven't heard anything else from him for months though.

I took the liberty of translating a couple of articles about said ruckus. The original (Swedish) articles can be found at Aftonbladet.se here and here. Pretty interesting stuff.

Personally, for the time being, I choose to take the word of the Environmental Party's leader and those still working at Naturvårdsverket (the government's environmental protection agency) over that of Valfrid Paulsson and Co. And if, in a few years time, I find that I've been wasting my time recycling everything I can get my hands on at least I'll know that I did it with good intentions.

To quote Paulsson himself from the articles above:

quote:
Valfrid Paulsson recycles and doesn’t want to encourage people to mix their trash. When all the rubbish incinerations are equally effective we can stop recycling. But we have to wait for the clearance, he says.
ETA: The translations probably contain errors and weird sentences but I never claimed to be the best translator in the world. [Wink]

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 401 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use paper bags, rather than plastic, when I have to have extra bags at the grocery, that is, when the stores actually have paper bags. My reason is because I believe that plastic production results in more pollutants and that plastic bags are not really recyclable (or at least not recycled). I think that the use of paper bags is not as bad for the environment and that the production of paper bags is not causing us to cut down more trees because paper grocery bags are made from the waste product of lumber production.

Now, admittedly, it's been a long time since I actually read much on the subject, having satisfied myself a long time ago, but things change.

So, is this a safe assumption on my part? Anyone know? It seems from what Jenn says that at least, even if plastic bags are recyclable, that they are cost-prohibitive to recycle. That at least falls in line with my ideas.

I've considered for several years that I ought to seek some updated info and perrhaps re-evaluate a bit, but I just haven't seen to take the time to do so.

Styrofoam: Hate it. Can't abide the taste of it and it just seems to me to be the most harmful to the environment to produce. I discourage people as often as I can without getting into their business and I won't use the crap myself, unless there's just no way around it. However, I really am not sure if my stance is valid and based on fact, or if my logic needs an update.

I'm really glad the subject of recycling was brought up. I want to be as environmentally friendly as I can. But, I don't know all the facts.

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Note: This is coming from someone who has recycled her tush off for the past couple of years but isn't really up on the scientifics of it all.

quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
I use paper bags, rather than plastic (...) My reason is because I believe that plastic production results in more pollutants and that plastic bags are not really recyclable (or at least not recycled). (...)

So, is this a safe assumption on my part? Anyone know? It seems from what Jenn says that at least, even if plastic bags are recyclable, that they are cost-prohibitive to recycle. That at least falls in line with my ideas.

I can't really say anything constructive on this subject because the one thing that I don't recycle is soft plastic (including plastic bags). The only reason for this is because we don't have any soft plastic recycling in my building, only hard plastic recycling. It's one of those, I would if I could situations. The only option would be to let the soft plastic pile gather up until we traveled out of town to IKEA and stuffed their recycling bins full. But since we only go there 3 or 4 times a year (by public transport no less) it isn't an appealing solution.

As for your inquiery (sp?) I always assumed what you did, that paper was better than plastic. But according to this article it's a toss up, as long as you reuse/recycle them afterwards. But the best thing (according to the article) would be to use some sort of regular clothbag or -like I've started to do- use one of these. It's described as a suitcase but I don't know... Anyway, it's easy to pack and if you buy a lot of heavy things you just roll it along.

quote:
Styrofoam: Hate it. Can't abide the taste of it and it just seems to me to be the most harmful to the environment to produce. I discourage people as often as I can without getting into their business and I won't use the crap myself, unless there's just no way around it. However, I really am not sure if my stance is valid and based on fact, or if my logic needs an update.

ITA about hating styrofoam. Like soft plastic our building doesn't recycle it and although it says right there on the metal recycling bin that you can not recycle styrofoam some idiots just throw it in anyway and I find myself picking it up and throwing it in the trash (force of habit).

The only really useful links I could come up with about styrofoam were about where to send it and why it isn't recycled.

--------------------

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Black Belt and Socks
The First USA Noel

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Black Belt and Socks   E-mail Black Belt and Socks       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think that the use of paper bags is not as bad for the environment and that the production of paper bags is not causing us to cut down more trees because paper grocery bags are made from the waste product of lumber production.

tag

As someone who has worked in the paper business for a number of years, I can assure you this is not entirely true. The vast majority of commercial paper is recycled, and almost all paper contains some amount of recycled material, but we still use trees. I am not aware of any paper made from the "waste" of lumber production.

BB "trees are really crops" &S

--------------------
"How dare your reality hinder my ability to believe what I want!" Joe Bentley

Posts: 697 | From: Backwoods of Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think recycling should always be second to trying to not use so much in the first place.

Using s "bag for life" or canvas shopping bag means that the paper/plastic debate is moot. Most people know when they're going to be doing some food shopping so can remember to take some bags ready. Having a spare plastic bag with you also helps if you buy something unexpectantly.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 214 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My reason is because I believe that plastic production results in more pollutants and that plastic bags are not really recyclable (or at least not recycled).

No doubt. Here's a community we nicknamed "BagDad", built on a landfill. Guess why the name:

-  -

quote:
There was a big flap about styrofoam potentially filling the planet to the level of the ionosphere, about 15 years ago; all the fast-food vendors switched to cardboard and paper wraps. Turns out, IIRC, styrofoam DOES biodegrade... longterm exposure to sunlight breaks it down, supposedly.

ham "I don't recycle - I just use it until it can't be used no more" bubba

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the people who use canvas bags, may I ask, how many do you have, and do you have children? I just can't imagine toting in enough canvas bags to do all my shopping for the week.

Although...

I do remember, in the 80's, my mom used a grocery store that discounted prices by having a serve-yourself mentality. They had no bag-boys, and shoppers had to buy or provide their own bags and egg cartons(!). We'd take our stash of paper bags in every week and bag our own groceries. It wasn't any extra hassle.

(I loved that store. It was the only place I ever shopped where you could select your own eggs. We had the most fun picking out pretty, speckled brown eggs.)

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Screaming Blues Murder Jam
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fried Spam & Cookies Sammich:
For the people who use canvas bags, may I ask, how many do you have, and do you have children? I just can't imagine toting in enough canvas bags to do all my shopping for the week.

I take the canvas bag, but I fill it with... old plastic bags! I put about ten in there so that I'm guaranteed to have enough. When one of them eventually falls apart I figure that I at least got a lot more use out of it than getting a new bag each time.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tikidrone
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Tikidrone   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tikidrone       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/recycling/solidwaste/plastics.html

Good info site...

--------------------
I have seen the future and it licks itself clean. Bucky Katt

Posts: 478 | From: Between B'more and Naptown Md. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 01 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Belt and Socks:
As someone who has worked in the paper business for a number of years, I can assure you this is not entirely true. The vast majority of commercial paper is recycled, and almost all paper contains some amount of recycled material, but we still use trees. I am not aware of any paper made from the "waste" of lumber production.

[Eek!] Really? Then, what happens to the wood waste of lumber production?
quote:
Originally posted by Lexi Pie In The Sky:
I think recycling should always be second to trying to not use so much in the first place.

Using s "bag for life" or canvas shopping bag means that the paper/plastic debate is moot. Most people know when they're going to be doing some food shopping so can remember to take some bags ready. Having a spare plastic bag with you also helps if you buy something unexpectantly.

I agree whole-heartedly. And I do have some canvas shopping bags. I have one large one that the others get stuffed into when not in use. Where I shop, here in Canada, everyone bags their own stuff, anyway. Though, I only have my two largest ones with me, and that's what raises the question of which is the best to use.

Another reason I prefer paper bags and will use a few for my shopping if my supply at home runs low, is that I use paper bags to "dredge" things like meats in flour. I shake up the flour and meat together in a paper bag.

I'm pretty good at reusing things. I try to be as resource-sensitive as I can. I really just want to make sure that the ideas of what's best, that I've formulated over the years, are really valid.

Thanks for the pics, Hammy. That's real funny. NOT.

I always wash jars and cans to be recycled. When I had a family, and much more trash, I'd wash the jars and cans in the dishwasher. My ex-husband and I used to joke that we washed more garbage than actual dishes in that thing. [Smile]

Thanks for the links everyone. I'll do some reading later this afternoon.

tag

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, I have heard from a few of my family members and friends that most of what we put in recycle bins ends up in landfills anyway

Reminds me of one office I used to work at in downtown DC where somebody went to a lot of trouble to get us recycle boxes for excess printer paper. One night I stayed late and watched the cleaning lady cheerfully dumping all the recycle boxes into her trash bin along with all the other garbage.

buf 'best laid plans' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 217 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:
quote:
However, I have heard from a few of my family members and friends that most of what we put in recycle bins ends up in landfills anyway

Reminds me of one office I used to work at in downtown DC where somebody went to a lot of trouble to get us recycle boxes for excess printer paper. One night I stayed late and watched the cleaning lady cheerfully dumping all the recycle boxes into her trash bin along with all the other garbage.
You know, the same thing occurred at the federal building in Detroit. After complaints we were told that dealing with paper for recycling was not part of the cleaning contractor's contract, so if we wanted the paper to get downstair into the recycle bin, we'd have to assign someone to do it. [Roll Eyes] What a mess that turned out to be, even though our agency used volunteers. If someone didn't get the paper collected for the day, into the trash barrels it went. Plus, the recyclers didn't pick up routinely, like they were suppose to, so you'd get the paper down to the dock, and the recycle dumpster would be full, with stacks and piles of paper sitting around on the dock. Truly, this recycle program hadn't been well thought out.

tag

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fried Spam & Cookies Sammich:

The canvas bag idea was first raised by a poster from London. The people of London have fewer children than the people of Fried Spam & Cookies Sammich's Florida. And few Europeans "shop for the week."

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And few Europeans "shop for the week."

Where have you read that (not being snarky just curious)?

In our home we are very devout weekend shoppers. Although we'll stop by a store in the middle of the week if we run out of the basic elements (milk, soured milk, catfood...) we save the non-urgent things for the weekends.

Our heaviest excursion was when we carried home 74 lbs (34 kg) last month. A third of that was kittylitter but the rest was mostly nothing but food. And since we don't (want nor) have a car we rode the tram with it the 2 kilometres it takes to get home.

What is the "average" amount shop-for-the-weekers in the US take home?

--------------------

Double Latte
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Double Latte   E-mail Double Latte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In California, the State requires each city to have an effective recycling program. The city must demonstrate that no more than X% of household waste goes to the landfill and at least Y% to recycling centers. So, yes, at least here some of it is political. What the recycling center does with it is dependent on the market value of the stuff, which varies, as was mentioned before.

--------------------
"Senility Prayer"
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference.

Posts: 1755 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Black Belt and Socks
The First USA Noel

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Black Belt and Socks   E-mail Black Belt and Socks       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

tag

Several uses: particle board, used in laminated products (furniture, counter tops, etc.), decking (for wood chip products), formed wood products (primarily toys), pressed board (construction), and imitation fireplace logs/starter logs (with a fuel added). Other uses include fertilizer, mulch, alcohol production and packing materials.

BB "and we're looking for something to do with the needles" &S

--------------------

Posts: 697 | From: Backwoods of Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My step-father is an ardent non-recycler. His reason: Sometime in the 80s, the small town that he lived in had a huge recycling campaign. About a year later, whoever collected all the recyclables according to him didn't have anywhere to put the paper, and gave him a whole bunch of huge sheets of really thick "paper" made out of many, many pressed-together papers. He lined the horse stable with them.

Somehow that experience made him think that all recycled paper meets that sad fate. The fact that this happened in the 80s and only once doesn't seem to matter.

Every time I ask "are you really throwing that away?" when he throws stacks of old newspapers or magazines in the trash, I get that story.

I wish I was joking, but I'm not.

Diana

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 401 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

tag

Several uses: particle board, used in laminated products (furniture, counter tops, etc.), decking (for wood chip products), formed wood products (primarily toys), pressed board (construction), and imitation fireplace logs/starter logs (with a fuel added). Other uses include fertilizer, mulch, alcohol production and packing materials.

BB "and we're looking for something to do with the needles" &S

Dang. Well, there goes most of the feel good portion of my personal friend to the environment program. *sigh*

Still, I never throw bags away, paper or plastic. I always find some use for them. I suppose I shouldn't feel too badly. Though, I do wish they'd stop with the plastic. Just another look at Hammy's pics is reminder enough of why.

tag

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Black Belt and Socks
The First USA Noel

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Black Belt and Socks   E-mail Black Belt and Socks       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My apologies, tag. I was not intending to upset the apple cart on paper recycling. From what I see, paper recycling is the most sucessful program, and probably reduces the need for virgin wood by 25 to 30 percent. If more people participated, that could bring the figure closer to 50%. [Smile]

BB "not that they need saving" &S

--------------------

tagurit

Icon 206 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I'll feel guilty using newsprint in my gardening projects. [lol]

Thanks, BB&S. I'll just carry on in my same-o mode.

tag everytime you lay newspaper on the ground, another tree is killed... urit

--------------------
---
AAMAH

bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now I'll feel guilty using newsprint in my gardening projects. [lol]

Thanks, BB&S. I'll just carry on in my same-o mode.

tag everytime you lay newspaper on the ground, another tree is killed... urit

One could make a good argument for not recycling paper as being good for the environment, especially global warming-wise.

As BB&S pointed out, (paper) trees are a crop. Cutting down on paper use to save trees grown for paper mills is like cutting down on corn use to save corn. If you're really concerned about global warming, you'll want the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere to be reduced. One way to get the carbon out of circulation, so to speak, is by growing plants that breathe CO2 and convert it into celluose. Get rid of the carbon without burning it (which would recreate the CO2), and it's out of circulation. I have no idea if the amount of carbon produced by tree farms even compares to the amount released by burning fossil fuels, but at least it would be going in the right direction.

buf 'really long-term, global scale recycling' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 303 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

One of the more interesting examples in this respect I am aware of is where Xcel Energy uses waste sawdust as an energy source, compressing such into ur-briquettes for burning at their French Island steam station in LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Ciara Zest & Banana Peel, quoting me:And few Europeans "shop for the week."

Where have you read that (not being snarky just curious)?

I don't know. Maybe I was just repeating an old stereotype.

I've never been to Sweden, but I certainly think that in Britain, Belgium, and a few other places I recall, you just don't see the kind of massive supermarket orders as in suburban America. Even in Canada (judging from Ontario and Quebec), you don't see the American-sized multi-cart order that would fill a tram all by itself. Of course, I'm probably spreading sterotypes myself.

quote:
Our heaviest excursion was when we carried home 74 lbs (34 kg) last month. A third of that was kittylitter but the rest was mostly nothing but food. And since we don't (want nor) have a car we rode the tram with it the 2 kilometres it takes to get home.

What is the "average" amount shop-for-the-weekers in the US take home?

Well, I can't put a number to it, but probably a lot more then 34 kg.

Reasons:

-- Outside New York City, which really is different from the rest of America, public transit is not much used. I take it to work, but hardly anyone takes food on it.

-- Much of the US has low population density compared to Western Europe -- some of our relatives in North Central Illinois drive 45 minutes to Wisconsin for groceries.

-- The number one factor: Temporary promotional prices. Yes, they have plenty of promotions in Britain, and more in Canada. However, in the US the sale price is, with amazing frequency, half or less of the regular price. So we "stock up." This also means there are a lot people who just have those few essential items for which they can't waiton the next sale.

--------------------
Julius Lester

Ciara...

quote:
I don't know. Maybe I was just repeating an old stereotype.

Aw, chucks! I was hoping you'd have some numbers. For some reason I like statistics. [Wink]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ciara doesn't like Mustard:
(...) What is the "average" amount shop-for-the-weekers in the US take home?

Well, I can't put a number to it, but probably a lot more then 34 kg.

Reasons:

-- Outside New York City, which really is different from the rest of America, public transit is not much used. I take it to work, but hardly anyone takes food on it.

-- Much of the US has low population density compared to Western Europe -- some of our relatives in North Central Illinois drive 45 minutes to Wisconsin for groceries.

-- The number one factor: Temporary promotional prices. Yes, they have plenty of promotions in Britain, and more in Canada. However, in the US the sale price is, with amazing frequency, half or less of the regular price. So we "stock up." This also means there are a lot people who just have those few essential items for which they can't waiton the next sale.

Thanks for jogging my memory. My grandmother has friends in the US that she visited a couple of years ago. They lived rather far away from the supermarket and she told me about the massive amounts of food they took home each week, I just figured she was exaggerating.

Taking groceries on public transportation is not the most comfortable thing in the world but it sure beats walking. [Wink]

--------------------

politicat

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My 2 rubles:

When I lived in Kiev, working on a history project in grad school, I saw a huge difference in the way people shopped, but i think the difference had far more to do with the difference between an URBAN location and a suburban location. In the US, most places really are suburban or rural, and have the public transit or lack thereof that goes along with a non-urban population. Even though I went to school in one of the largest Metros in the US (Phoenix), it is essentially a huge suburb; the high density living and mixed use spaces don't exist in the Phoenix Metro area the way they do here in Denver, or in Boston or Washington DC or New York (or any older city.)

When I lived in a small apartment without a car, I was very careful about what I bought and how I transported it - I had a cart with wheels that I could drag along; incidentally, I saved on bags, since everything could just go into the box on the cart (the box was a rubbermaid tub thingamammied to the wheels.). I also shopped far more frequently than I do now that I a) have a car, and b) work at home. It's too much hassle to go out and buy things! When I worked at an office, I was out anyway.

I think another issue though is that calories are REALLY cheap in the US, and since food is seen as security, and it's a cheap form of security, that's why we see these huge grocery orders that are less common in other countries. Because we subsidize so much of the cost of food production (since expensive food tends to cause socialist tendencies in the population - this has been demonstrated rather clearly in the last century - and we can't have socialism running rampant, now can we? ) we don't see the real cost of food. Other countries, who don't subsidize this way, don't end up with the same issues. They're far more conscious of how they eat and what they use. (This may be the underlying cause of the obesity epidemic in the US and Britain - our calories are too cheap.)

PCat (who actually waxes nostalgic about the days of her little trolley, since she got such very good exercise for free out of it.... exercise she now must pay for at the fitness center!)

bruce in france
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce in france   E-mail bruce in france   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: "shop for week", there is still a sizeable portion of the French public that purchases groceries much more often, but many families (including mine) do one major trip per week and then supplement with litres of milk and loaves of bread as needed. However, the *volume* of this trip is considerably smaller than when we lived in the US, mostly due to smaller package sizes.

Re: "bags for life", it's all we use; we have 3 canvas bags, 2 insulated bags, and 2 sturdy plastic bags with handles (they are rarely all filled at once).

Re: the OP, it is the case today that recycling is in fact profitable for certain metals, e.g. copper and alumin[i]um, and certain plastics (esp. #1 & 2), and less so for glass and paper.

-b

Posts: 210 | From: Orsay, France | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just about everyone I know here does a weekly shop - some people do monthly, but it's usually weekly. The bag-for-life idea is slowly beginning to catch on, too.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In England I got very used to a weekly shop with a couple of side trips a week to pick up fresh fruit and veggies. It was the best way to shop IMO. I bought the 10 p bags for life from tesco and re-used them all the time. It makes the most sense if you do most of your shopping by either walking or by public transit. I guess if you are used to doing a BIG shop by car every couple of weeks its a whole different ballgame.

I really miss that [Frown] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For those that care...

When the old styrofoam packing peanuts were replaced (well, MOST of them were) by the new biodegradable corn starch versions, I found that the new ones work WONDERFULLY as fertilizer in gardens and potted plants.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frozen Chosen

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as far as the recycling thing goes, aluminum/aluminium is one thing that has tall tales associated with it. While it is recyclable, it's very cost-inefficient to do so. The steel industry has spent years and much money trying to educate people about using steel products for recyclables. Steel is much easier to recycle, as it can just be melted down. There's the whole short-term v. long-term CO2 burden issue with the manufacture of aluminum auto bodies vs. steel auto bodies factor. MIT did a study on the life cycle impact...mind-numbingly boring if you're not interested, but I was interested...

Anyway, I also use and re-use grocery bags (and get nasty looks when I ask for paper bags), totes sometimes. I use the heck out of those bags until they're no longer usable.

I save most glass jars for re-using as well, and don't bring home much plastic other than the rubbermaid lunch things that I use instead of baggies to pack lunches around here.

Newspapers and magazines get picked up from the curb here, but you can just put them out in a regular cardboard box, which they will also take.

Black Belt and Socks
The First USA Noel

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Black Belt and Socks   E-mail Black Belt and Socks       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frozen Chosen:
Well, as far as the recycling thing goes, aluminum/aluminium is one thing that has tall tales associated with it. While it is recyclable, it's very cost-inefficient to do so. The steel industry has spent years and much money trying to educate people about using steel products for recyclables. Steel is much easier to recycle, as it can just be melted down. There's the whole short-term v. long-term CO2 burden issue with the manufacture of aluminum auto bodies vs. steel auto bodies factor. MIT did a study on the life cycle impact...mind-numbingly boring if you're not interested, but I was interested...

Could you provide a cite? This is contrary to everything I have believed about aluminum recycling, and I wonder if they took into account the mining/processing of raw ore. This also appears to contradict the Aluminum Can folks.

BB "maybe I'm just mind-numbingly boring" &S

--------------------

bruce in france
Deck the Malls

Icon 304 posted      Profile for bruce in france   E-mail bruce in france   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frozen Chosen:
Well, as far as the recycling thing goes, aluminum/aluminium is one thing that has tall tales associated with it. While it is recyclable, it's very cost-inefficient to do so.

Excuse me?

quote:
Making new aluminum cans from used cans takes 95 percent less energy and 20 recycled cans can be made with the energy needed to produce one can using virgin ore.
Quote from The Aluminum Association's Recycling Facts page

-b "my Dad used to be Technical Director of The AA"

Posts: 210 | From: Orsay, France | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages