snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Sarah Brady Bought A Gun?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sarah Brady Bought A Gun?
jsrtheta
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw two postings on an internet site claiming that Sarah Brady had purchased a rifle for her son (who I believe is quite old enough to buy his own). Supposedly she said, "It's okay, I'm Sarah Brady."

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
0b1knob
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0b1knob   E-mail 0b1knob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was initially reported that she may have violated the Brady law in purchasing a hunting rifle for her son, but that was not the case. See:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/news/politics/2909641.htm

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 37 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I'm wondering why this is an issue. Are people angry that she violated a law as originally reported (though as the link above shows, this was later proven false)? Are they saying that she's a hypocrite because she favors gun control, but has no problem with her family members owning guns? Well, favoring gun control is not the same as opposing gun ownership, and contrary to the claims of some pro-gun web sites, the Bradys are not opposed to gun ownership. So I don't see why Sarah Brady buying a gun for her kid is an issue.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KingDavid8:
I guess I'm wondering why this is an issue.

It is a commonplace accusation that Sarah Brady and HGI want to take away all guns.

Given what her husband suffered, I wouldn't blame her if that was what she wanted. And, in fact, at some time in the past, it might have been. But she has taken a more pragmatic view, and is only arguing for limitations, restrictions, and obstacles to gun ownership: registration, waiting periods, background checks, and the ban on certain characteristics of weapons.

It is a nasty habit of the gun-control side to demonize Charlton Heston, to misconstrue and misinterpret what he says and what he believes. To one side, he is the "Anti-Christ," while to the other side, Sarah Brady is the "Beast of Revelation."

It's a highly polarized issue, which, to my way of thought, means that both sides should be trying to appeal to the moderate middle, and to sway that vital "undecided" three per cent to their side. But the rhetoric of extremism seems to be the tool most favored.

Silas (it doesn't make any sense to me...) Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages