snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » "Dude, your weenus is showing"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Dude, your weenus is showing"
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The 7th grader came home tonight giggling that she could see everyone's weenus. Supposedly, according to the junior high set, the skin of your elbow is called the weenus.

I can't find weenus in the dictionary in any spelling that I can think of. Does anyone else know this word?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pocamumu
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
im going to say that to someone within the next 24 hours. Promise.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There were several jokes on Friends about the acronym WENUS. It was used at Chandler's workplace and stood for "weekly estimated net usage statistics."

That's the only time I've heard the word. I wonder if the middle school crowd took it and gave it a new definition. So they could have their own word that the adults don't know about, and it of course has to be something that sounds dirty but isn't. He he.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Google search on "Wenus" brings up astronomy sites in a foreign language that might be Russian. Apparently it's that language's translation of the planet Venus.

However, a search of Weenus shows it to be a band from south Boston, and a bunch of sites in which people use it to mean elbow skin.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MysterySquirrel

Yes, I've heard this word before. Maybe it's just popular with school-aged kids of today? (I just graduated high school this past summer.)
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
A Google search on "Wenus" brings up astronomy sites in a foreign language that might be Russian.

My immediate thought if I came across a number of Polish web sites would be that the language on them is Polish.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A Google search on "Wenus" brings up astronomy sites in a foreign language that might be Russian. Apparently it's that language's translation of the planet Venus.

Echoing Floater, the language used is indeed Polish. The extention "pl" is for Poland. Russia's extention is "ru".

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:
A Google search on "Wenus" brings up astronomy sites in a foreign language that might be Russian.

My immediate thought if I came across a number of Polish web sites would be that the language on them is Polish.
I did not *know* they were Polish websites, or else I would have said the language was Polish.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I did not *know* they were Polish websites

Didn't the .pl in the addresses give you a hint?

--------------------

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
.pl isn't exactly an obvious abbreviation of Poland.

So, wenus means Venus in Polish. We still haven't found any explanation for how it came to mean elbow skin on the tween scene.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

quote:
quote:
I did not *know* they were Polish websites

No, it didn't. I bow to your superior perception. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was always concerned about my epidermis showing...

Dog--off to cover my weenus--water

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
THis reminds me of the rumor I heard in middle school that "dude" actually means (pick one):
camel butt
elephant butt
something involving an animal's penis, but I forget what.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why it's funny to make up a word and then giggle about it. Why can't they stick with the time-tested "your epidermis is showing"?
Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Show me your uvula, baby!

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alta Cirrus

quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
THis reminds me of the rumor I heard in middle school that "dude" actually means (pick one):
camel butt
elephant butt

Sounds like a runoff of the mythology behind "dork". According to legend, a "dork" could or could not be a whale's penis. For every website I looked at that said it was, there was another site that said it wasn't.

Alta "I got my weenus pierced" Cirrus

Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of these jokes from 5th grade (uh... 1979ish?):

How big is your yard? Does your yard have grass on it?
... was code for how big is your penis and does it have hair on it.

Are you smart? How many months?
... was code for are you pregnant, how many months?

The fun thing to do was ask this of unsuspecting people and get them to admit they had a big penis with hair on it or were something like 10 years pregnant.

Eve "We had some fun out in the sticks!" MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 16 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
camel butt
elephant butt

A camel's testicle was the version I heard.

Little "oh bollocks!" Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zzz

Icon 607 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Urbandictionary has several definitions of weenus as loose skin on your elbow. The earliest definition was in 2003 so it's probably been in english usage for a while now.
Bookchick of the Novel Clan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bookchick of the Novel Clan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I hate to admit it but I find the word Weenus very funny! My SNL,neices and I are very fond of that word...I get cracked up every time the oldest (17) says things like "do do have any lotin, my weenus is dry". I tried searching weenus and got only 3 medical type hits.

--------------------
"I'm not dumb...your dumb." Junior-Lonestar State of Mind

"It eats you, starting with your bottom." Andrew-BtVS

"Arise chicken, arise!" Billy Witch Doctor.com- AquaTeen Hunger Force

Posts: 138 | From: Gastonia, NC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fun thing to do was ask this of unsuspecting people and get them to admit they had a big penis with hair on it or were something like 10 years pregnant.
I can understand the 10 years pregnant thing being funny, but unless you were asking only girls, who would be ashamed to have just admitted that they had a big penis with hair on it?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvia's Daddy

quote:

Or maybe the text in modified Roman alphabet (as against Cyrillic?)
Sylvia's Daddy

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG:
Reminds me of these jokes from 5th grade (uh... 1979ish?):

How big is your yard? Does your yard have grass on it?
... was code for how big is your penis and does it have hair on it.

Are you smart? How many months?
... was code for are you pregnant, how many months?

Eve "We had some fun out in the sticks!" MG

The same idiocy was rife in the San Francisco Bay Area in the mid-1960s.

bike => penis
happy => pregnant
to eat pork => to commit fellatio

When some air-head fished me in, I had an answer for him:

I would ask chuckle-head a simple problem in addition (such as "What is 4+3?").

When he answered, I would kick him in the shin as hard as I could, and explain that the answer he gave meant "kick me in the shin as hard as you can."

After a short time, the numbskulls ceased to annoy me.

Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvia's Daddy:
quote:

Or maybe the text in modified Roman alphabet (as against Cyrillic?)
And exactly why would 200 000 polish web pages consist of Russian texts translitterated into a Latin alphabet?

--------------------

mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kids are stupid.

Case in point: When I was in 6th grade (about '92) some asshat kid walks up to me and asks me to spell AIDS. I thought he was just being stupid so I wrote down what it stood for. He busts out laughing and asks if I'm positive. I said "sure". He was rolling on the floor laughing, while I just sat there dumbfounded. Then the little shit went around telling everyone that I was "Positive", as in HIV+.

Dumbass

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 106 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
Show me your uvula, baby!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Blue "Did you see it?" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To identify what country a web page is generated from you can check out Appendix D of the World Fact Book

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's not Russian, "Venus" in Russian is "Venera". It looks Polish to me - they use Latin characters, not Cyrillic. Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages