snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » The end of Winnie-the-Pooh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The end of Winnie-the-Pooh
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 06 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Yesterday, my brother mentioned an urban legend I
never heard of: supposedly, A. A. Milne, creator of Winnie-the-Pooh, wrote
a final story in which Christopher Robin outgrows his bear friend and
places Pooh up on a shelf. This ending allegedly made a lot of readers
unhappy, but my brother didn't know if it was ever published. Is there
such a story?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 15 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Yesterday, my brother mentioned an urban legend I
never heard of: supposedly, A. A. Milne, creator of Winnie-the-Pooh, wrote
a final story in which Christopher Robin outgrows his bear friend and
places Pooh up on a shelf. This ending allegedly made a lot of readers
unhappy, but my brother didn't know if it was ever published. Is there
such a story?

No. What actually happened was Pooh got his leg caught in an abandoned bear trap and starved to death two months later. He would have died sooner, but he managed to coax Piglet in close enough to eat him. Christopher Robin just videotaped the whole ordeal. [fish]

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't be the first time someone wanted to end a famous cartoon character's career, either they are retiring or being mocked to try and end their career.

Teletubbies - Red says Faggot, Purple with a Purse, don't know of the other two.

Barney - Believed to be Satan's right hand man by the spelling of his name in roman coding

Elmo - Not sure what his story was, but they had a dark side attached to him.

Bert and Ernie - They had declared them gay at one time.

I'm sure many other kiddie shows also have dark tales attached as well, but it wouldn't be a suprise that Pooh would have a sinister ending by having Piglet eat him alive.

The pooh on a shelf story I have yet to find one on the search engine, but there was a similar tale played out in Toy Story 2 when Andy tore his favorite, Woody's arm part way, and shelved him. Woody's pals considered him doomed.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Winnie the Pooh died the second Disney or whatever got their hands on him [Frown]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiriusSnape
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiriusSnape   E-mail SiriusSnape   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just found this which would indicate that something like that happened at the end of 'House at Pooh Corner' where
quote:
Christopher Robin takes Pooh to the Enchanted Place at Galleons Lap and basically lets Pooh know in ambiguous terms that this is the end of their adventures together.
I read the exerpt linked there, and yes... I got teary eyed. [Frown]

(Question #69)

--------------------
All fiction is cultural history.
All history is cultural fiction.

Posts: 292 | From: Greenville, North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Christopher Robin goes off to school. Pooh isn't exactly "shelved" but the idea that he's been outgrown is there.

If the version that snopes was asked about has any truth to it at all, it would have to be as an earlier, less subtle draft ending rather than as an "unpublished final story" since it would be redundant as the stories stand. I suppose it could work as a "bookend" to match the introductory story with Winnie the Pooh being dragged downstairs by his foot.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

"So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on top of the Forest, a little boy and his bear will always be playing"

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
snf!

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I meant to say is, don't get me started!

Didn't anyone else see the Clangers on TV last night? I can't handle too much more sad, sensitive nostalgia!

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Art Vandelay
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago I read an extract from the real Christopher Robin's autobiography "The Enchanted Places", in which he talks about what happened to the toys, and his feelings about them. After a bit of searching on the web, I managed to find it here (about two thirds of the way down the page)

quote:
So, if I am asked "Aren't you sad that the animals are not in their glass case with you today?" I must answer "Not really" and hope that this doesn't seem too unkind. I like to have around me the tings I like today, not the things I once liked many years ago. I don't want a house to be a museum. When I grew out of my old First Eleven blazer, it was thrown away, not lovingly preserved to remind me of the proud day I won it with a score of 13 not out. Every child has his Pooh, but one would think it odd if every man still kept his Pooh to remind him of his childhood. But my Pooh is different, you say: he is the Pooh. No, this only makes him different to you, not different to me. My toys were and are to me no more than yours were and are are to you. I do not love them more because they are known to children in Australia or Japan. Fame has nothing to do with love.

I wouldn't like a glass case that said: "Here is fame", and I don't need a glass case to remind me : "Here was love".

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laser Potato
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laser Potato     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh. This brings to mind the time Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes in one of his books because he was sick of writing about him, but fan outrage forced him to write a sequel where he survived. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I want a lawyer! I want a doctor! I want a cheese sandwich!

Posts: 67 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Disney or whoever owns the rights to the characters these days can "reimagine" them in a flashy manga style with laser-beam eyes...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Perhaps Disney or whoever owns the rights to the characters these days can "reimagine" them in a flashy manga style with laser-beam eyes...

>Shudder< Don't mock....you never know....

-

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe some Pooh bears, too...Pooh bears that shoot laser beams out of their eyes.
Oh man, that would be so frickin' awesome!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Myshkin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myshkin     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The end of House at Pooh Corner is one of the few things that I remember vividly from my childhood reading. I remember having this funny feeling which I had never before experienced, concurrently excited and sad. It stayed with me for days. I think it was my first experience with melancholy. I'd go so far as to call it a masterpiece of English childrens' literature.
Posts: 741 | From: Big Bend, Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Interestingly Myshkin, Milne intended his Pooh stories to be read by adults, for them to be able to contact the child within. He prefered his own kids to read PG Wodehouse [Wink]

--------------------

Speaker for the Dead
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Speaker for the Dead   E-mail Speaker for the Dead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
A few years ago I read an extract from the real Christopher Robin's autobiography "The Enchanted Places", in which he talks about what happened to the toys, and his feelings about them. After a bit of searching on the web, I managed to find it here (about two thirds of the way down the page)

quote:
So, if I am asked "Aren't you sad that the animals are not in their glass case with you today?" I must answer "Not really" and hope that this doesn't seem too unkind. I like to have around me the tings I like today, not the things I once liked many years ago. I don't want a house to be a museum. When I grew out of my old First Eleven blazer, it was thrown away, not lovingly preserved to remind me of the proud day I won it with a score of 13 not out. Every child has his Pooh, but one would think it odd if every man still kept his Pooh to remind him of his childhood. But my Pooh is different, you say: he is the Pooh. No, this only makes him different to you, not different to me. My toys were and are to me no more than yours were and are are to you. I do not love them more because they are known to children in Australia or Japan. Fame has nothing to do with love.

I wouldn't like a glass case that said: "Here is fame", and I don't need a glass case to remind me : "Here was love".

Wow. Did anyone else find that quotation as powerful as I did?
Posts: 148 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely. It also made me want to read his autobiographies. I believe there were two? Anyway I know what I'm going to be looking for at the library later today.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
John Stephens
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys..."
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages