snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » Ha ha! Charade you are!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ha ha! Charade you are!
dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyfsunctional   E-mail dyfsunctional   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This phrase appeared famously in the Pink Floyd song "Pigs (Three Different Ones)," and less famously in an episode of South Park. It apparently means something along the lines of "I've got the upper hand on you" or "I've figured out your little game." Does anyone know the background behind this phrase? I get the feeling that in the Floyd song it's a literary reference, but Googling just brings up pages and pages of Pink Floyd stuff. How far back does it go? And what exactly does it mean?
Posts: 90 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it just meant "You are a charade!", in other words, you're just bluffing and really you're a poor excuse for a human being. One of the definitions of charade in Collins is "a travesty", which fits pretty well. It's awkward phrasing but I assumed that was just to make it scan and rhyme. If there's a literary reference I don't know about it.

The "travesty" definition is apparently "chiefly British", so maybe it sounds more mysterious to US listeners?

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always kind of turned it into a Yodaism.

Haha. Charade you are.

As in,

Haha, you are a fake and not worthy of my respect, my time, nor my serious consideration.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great. Now I have to pull out my Animals tape to get this song out of my head...

Trish "If you think that's weird, what about that whole 'He converteth me into lambchops' robot voice thing from that album?" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyfsunctional   E-mail dyfsunctional   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Psalm 23 (robotic sheep version):

The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me down to lie.
Through pastures green He leadeth me the silent waters by.
With bright knives He releaseth my soul.
He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places.
He converteth me to lamb cutlets.
For lo, He hath great power, and great hunger.
When cometh the day we lowly ones,
Through quiet reflection and great dedication,
Master the art of karate,
Lo, we shall rise up,
And then we'll make the buggers' eyes water.

Ok, back on topic: so, the phrase is common enough that it doesn't have a specific origin? And why is it always pronounced with the French/British "sha-rod" and not the American "sha-raid?"

Posts: 90 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfsunctional:
Ok, back on topic: so, the phrase is common enough that it doesn't have a specific origin? And why is it always pronounced with the French/British "sha-rod" and not the American "sha-raid?"

Er - because Pink Floyd are British?

I don't think it's a "common phrase" exactly (assuming you mean the line "Charade you are" rather than just the word "Charade"). I still don't see why it needs an origin beyond being a line from the song, though...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:

I don't think it's a "common phrase" exactly (assuming you mean the line "Charade you are" rather than just the word "Charade"). I still don't see why it needs an origin beyond being a line from the song, though...

The members of Pink Floyd are British...but Eric Cartman isn't. Anyway, that's the question: did Pink Floyd coin the phrase?
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which South Park episode was this in? SP makes lots of pop culture references, so I would think they were just referencing the Pink Floyd song, rather than using a little known phrase. You could go to South Park's website and ask. They have a FAQ where they answer all kinds of questions like this.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snarkbait
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a slight hijack-y note, I have always considered Animals Pink Floyd's best album.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

It's the one where Eric buys (NFBSK warning!) a bunch of pubic hair from the older kid up the street. Realizing he's been had, Eric repeatedly tries to trick the older kid into giving him his money back, and triumphantly uses the phrase each time he thinks he's got the upper hand.
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:

The members of Pink Floyd are British...but Eric Cartman isn't....
And the British don't tend to maul other peoples languages quite as badly as the Americans, the british pronounce it "Sharard" beacause that is how the French pronounce their own word.

Van Go paintings anyone?

(that'll start a fight!)

Big man pig ma haaaan...
Quality album!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The members of Pink Floyd are British...but Eric Cartman isn't. Anyway, that's the question: did Pink Floyd coin the phrase?

I see why you're asking, I guess - it does seem a bit odd that Cartman would start randomly quoting a less-well-known (than some) Pink Floyd song, so there's a possibility that both he and Pink Floyd are actually quoting something else. But no, I think they came up with the line.

(edit) Hans, if Van Gogh had been Scottish we'd pronounce him "Van Gock" just to annoy JK Will!

Frenchy

quote:
Van Go paintings anyone?

(that'll start a fight!)

Van (r)o(r) why would that start a fight?
In English, it's pronounced: Van Go(f) or something similar. In French Van Go(gg) and the correct way: the Dutch way, with a sort of rolled (r) sound for the g.

Difficult to explain pronouciation without having to use phonetic signs! [Wink]

Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well can you explain (gg) (r)o(r) and (f) please? I don't get the (gg)??!

I think the english are at least having a stab at the pronounciation rather than the American 'ignore the whole thing as it's too difficult' route!

(Just to clarify, I am talking about pronouncing peoples names here, the mauling of which I consider to be ignorant and rude, rather than regional pronounciatons of words, like bath, aluminium etc)

As to 'Why would that start a fight?' well you sort of nullified that question as you wrote it! (sort of a dooleybird post!) (dbp)

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friend of a Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
And the British don't tend to maul other peoples languages quite as badly as the Americans,

Hah! Ever hear them say Italian words that have come into English, for a start? Even something as simple as 'pasta'? They're better with French and maybe German ones, and that's about it.
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eric Cartman swears more obsceneties than I even knew of when I was that age, and you're gonna quibble about him quoting an obscure (to the general public) Pink Floyd song? We're talking about a show where Kenny used to die every episode; I think it's safe to say logic needs not apply.

By the way, thanks to dyfsunctional for clearing up the robotic sheep lyrics. (For me at least.) I understood a few lines, and then they always lost me.

Trish "stone...stone...stone...stone..." DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

How are you supposed to pronounce 'pasta' then?

--------------------

dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

The first a in "pasta" should be pronounced like the a in "car," not like the a in "map."

Hm...guess it was true, what they said about all generalizations being false.

Vivling
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vivling     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dysfunctional, everyone on the west-coast of Canada says "pasta" the "map" way. "Pasta" said with an a like "car" sounds British to me.

--------------------
Climb up, over the the top
Shake it, take control
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying
--Jason Mraz

Posts: 1686 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Candy Q. Is Already From A Book

Pasta.

Pasta.

Pasta.

Pasta...?

Pasta!

-Candy "I say it both ways and it still sounds like the same word to me" Q.

dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Far as I know, most Americans say it like "car" and most British people say it like "map."
aldiboronti
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aldiboronti   E-mail aldiboronti   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"And the British don't tend to maul other peoples languages quite as badly as the Americans."

Because we British have forgotten, as the Americans in the main have not, that when one adopts a word from a foreign language, it becomes a part of the English language and may, without any apology whatsoever, be pronounced as if it were an English word.

Posts: 55 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Traveller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Van Gogh: I thought the Dutch pronunciation for the g's was a kh sound.

Charade: I suspect 'charade you are' as a quotable phrase began with Pink Floyd. In hunting though I did find a cool quote from Germaine Greer in the Columbia World of Quotations. It really has nothing to do with anything but I really liked it and decided to share:

quote:
Older women can afford to agree that femininity is a charade, a matter of coloured hair, écru lace and whalebones, the kind of slap and tat that transvestites are in love with, and no more.

Posts: 374 | From: Georgia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

quote:
Originally posted by aldiboronti:
"And the British don't tend to maul other peoples languages quite as badly as the Americans."

Because we British have forgotten, as the Americans in the main have not, that when one adopts a word from a foreign language, it becomes a part of the English language and may, without any apology whatsoever, be pronounced as if it were an English word.

I was refering to the use of names "Eldiboroughtie" !!

sorry [fish]

--------------------

aldiboronti
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aldiboronti   E-mail aldiboronti   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It makes no difference. Don Quixote (pronounced Quicksott, compare French Don Quichotte), was the standard English pronunciation until recently.

Take the Spanish lover Don Juan. In Italian he is Don Giovanni, to the English of earlier centuries he was Don John, to Byron he was Don Juan (pronounced Joo-an).

You take the point.

Try the full monicker, Aldiborontiphoscophornio! [Smile] (Google for literary reference)

Posts: 55 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And the adjective is still pronounced 'quick-sott-ic.'
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StarlandVocalBand

How is "goff" any closer to the actual Dutch pronunciation than "go"? Neither are even close approximations of the way the name is pronounced in Dutch ('kh-eu-kh).

"Charade you are" isn't a maxim, phrase, idiom, or anything except a quotation from Pink Floyd.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages