snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » Numeric slang expressions (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Numeric slang expressions
Level 47
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 203 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder... how did the number 69 get to be a euphemism for sex? For that matter, how did the number 86 become a popular expression for killing, or otherwise disposing of ("86'ing") someone or something? And are there any other common numeric slang expressions out there that I haven't thought of yet? (Expressions used only in specific circles, such as "73" for goodbye in HAM-radio-ese, don't count - unless, of course, that's where a common numeric slang expression originated.)

------------
Level 47 (is 47 a euphemism for something too?)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think 69 should be pretty obvious. I don't understand where 86 came from though.

ETA: I know 143 means I love you. People usually use it when they're paging someone. From what I understand the origin of this is that it's the number of letters in each word in the phrase.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Munchkin by proxy

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No idea about the others, but I always assumed that 69 was in reference to the actual position: each person facing towards each other but with their heads at opposite ends... like the way a 6 and a 9 are written.

That was the most unsexy way I could possibly have described it... I am so proud.

(edited because of stupidity)

dahdoll
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dahdoll   Author's Homepage   E-mail dahdoll   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't "86" some sort of police code?

ETA: From this page

http://www.askbrian.com/misc.html

"Q: Where did the term "86ing" come from? ex: The dinner special was 86ed
A: "86ing" indeed comes from the restaurant industry, specifically soda shops where codes were used for all items on the menu. A Code 19 meant a Banana Split, and a Code 33 meant a Cherry Coke. Code 86 originally meant "We're out of that item," so when a cook said he was "86ing" an order, that meant he was canceling it."

But I don't know how reliable this is. I thought 86 was a police code, but I couldn't find it on this page

http://www.cobras.org/police.htm

but interesting site, nonetheless.

--------------------
"A bad acid trip does not a religion make" A friend commenting on another friend's religious charisma after a bad trip

Posts: 232 | From: NW Florida Home of the Airbrushed T-Shirts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think 86 has something to do with restaurants. At least that is how I have always heard it. 86 the special because we are all out of it.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Level 47

quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin by proxy:
No idea about the others, but I always assumed that 69 was in reference to the actual position: each person facing towards each other but with their heads at opposite ends... like the way a 6 and a 9 are written.

[NFBSK-sidetrack]
Now let me get this straight... 69 is supposed to represent two people together such that one's head is next to the other's feet, and vice versa? My dirty little mind is racking itself trying to figure out how two people can have sex in that position, and I must say it completely escapes me. Wouldn't the guy's phallus be pointing the wrong way? Unless this is some sort of mutual foot-fetish deal as opposed to intercourse, this explanation doesn't quite ring true for me.
[/NFBSK-sidetrack]

Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Level 47:

69 does not refer to sex in general, it refers to two people performing oral sex on each other at the same time.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Munchkin by proxy

Are you being serious? I can't even tell, how embarrassing. They're not having sex, it is purely for.. ahem.. 'oral pleasure', and obviously heads are not next to feet.

I apologise if you were just having a dig, I am having a slow Munchkin day.

Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Level 47:
quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin by proxy:

[NFBSK-sidetrack]
Now let me get this straight... 69 is supposed to represent two people together such that one's head is next to the other's feet, and vice versa? My dirty little mind is racking itself trying to figure out how two people can have sex in that position, and I must say it completely escapes me. Wouldn't the guy's phallus be pointing the wrong way? Unless this is some sort of mutual foot-fetish deal as opposed to intercourse, this explanation doesn't quite ring true for me.
[/NFBSK-sidetrack]

No, it's not feet to head it's head to naughty bits. Oral, you understand
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Deep-six

The whole nine yards

Dressed to the nines

POB

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
23 Skidoo!

Silas ("You're worth two 43s, 86") Sparkhammer

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muggz

At sixes and sevens

Six of one, half a dozen of the other

Cloud nine

Behind the eight ball

Obviously the last one refers to pool but I've heard used to describe being in a difficult position.
Any ideas where the other three came from?

Bonnie

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For more various theories on "86," see

http://www.yaelf.com/aueFAQ/mifeightysixnix.shtml

Bonnie "RU-486?" Taylor

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simeowtrical

Might "cloud nine" have something to do with varying levels of heaven, with the ninth being the highest? Or something like that?
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Ten-four" for "yes" was popular during the CB radio craze about 25 years ago. Does anyone know its origin?

I think the expression "four-flusher" means a phony. Can anyone confirm or correct this, and tell me where it came from?

"Two-timer" (someone who cheats on his or her spouse or lover) is pretty obvious.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A 4-flusher is a poker player, a cheater. Basically, say you have 4 spades and a club- all black, you see. If you cover the club just so, so just a pinch of black shows, a quick glance will say you have 5 spades, a flush. It's an old cheat, but still sometimes used.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muggz

quote:
Originally posted by Marricat:
"Ten-four" for "yes" was popular during the CB radio craze about 25 years ago. Does anyone know its origin?

I think the police use it over the phone to mean 'yes'. Not sure though
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the Ten Code.

http://home.att.net/~wizardoz/cbmw/10codes.html

10-4 = Message received.

187 is US police code for 'murder' is it not?

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a whole bunch of "ten codes". According to wikipedia they were invented by the police then picked up by the CB comunity. 10-4 and maybe 10-20 are the only ones that seem to have made it into general jargan.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
crb

What's your 20?

My dork-in-denial husband still uses that on occasion.

I thought 69 came from the way the position was illustrated in the Kama Sutra. [Embarrassed]

crb

STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crb:
What's your 20?

My dork-in-denial husband still uses that on occasion.

I thought 69 came from the way the position was illustrated in the Kama Sutra. [Embarrassed]

crb

Hey, hey, hey....we still use that on our Nextel phones from time to time at work....oh wait, we're dorks. Nevermind...

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phildonnia 2

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
187 is US police code for 'murder' is it not?

Not specifically "police code", it's the number on a section of the penal code. Commonly known also are

211 = robbery (I always heard this on the old "Adam-12" show)
502 = DUI (As in "taking the 502 express home")
125 = Excessive speed (Mentioned in Van Halen's "Can't drive 55")
5150 = Mentally disturbed person (Also the title of a Van Halen Album)

Jumbo70

Five-O is slang for police.
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From this article.

quote:

Select Citizens' Band 10-Code Phrasing

10-1 "Receiving poorly"*

10-2 "Receiving well"*

10-3 "Stop transmitting"

10-4 "Message received"* (also affimative)

10-6 "Busy, stand by"

10-9 "Repeat message"

10-10 "Transmission complete, standing by"

10-11 "You're talking too rapidly"

10-12 "Visitors present"

10-17 "Urgent business"

10-20 "Location"*

10-21 "Call by telephone"

10-22 "Report in person"

10-26 "Disregard last transmission"

10-30 "This does not conform to FCC rules"

10-35 "Confidential information"

10-38 "Ambulance needed"

10-42 "Traffic accident at..."

10-84 "My phone number is..."

10-91 "Talk closer to microphone"

10-99 "Mission completed, all units secure"

10-200 "Police needed at..."

Another I remeber from CB days was 10-36 "what time is it?"
* Also used around here by Fire/EMS providers.

Others used in local Fire/EMS jargon
10-7 "out of service/not available"
10-8 "in service/available"
10-23 "arrived on scene/working"
10-52 "requesting ambulance for transport"
10-53 "requesting police response"
10-54 "requesting urgent police response"
10-75 "requesting additional alrarm/address information"
10-78 "investigating for cause of alarm"
10-81 "rewind alarm box" (only the "old-timers" know this one)
10-99 "discontinuing telemetry/patient deceased"

[hijack] When and why did we stop using the "new heave-ho"?[/hijack]

- ParaDiddle

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo70:
Five-O is slang for police.

I believe that comes from the TV show "Hawaii Five-0."

edited because I forgot how to spel.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phildonnia 2:
125 = Excessive speed (Mentioned in Van Halen's "Can't drive 55")

Pardon me for nitpicking, but it was Sammy Hagar, shortly before he joined Van Halen.

Re: 86. I was told that a person who was so drunk that a bartender would not serve him any more liquor was said to have been 86'd, and that this was why Maxwell Smart's number was chosen.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JimBo usually in the bag

This probably doesn't count since it only pertains to snopesters.... How could you forget the number 5?!
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about 'What's the 411?'

Morgaine

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Information lines on phones are usually 411. So it means "what's the information" literally.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sam

quote:
Originally posted by Casey always lands on his feet:
A 4-flusher is a poker player, a cheater. Basically, say you have 4 spades and a club- all black, you see. If you cover the club just so, so just a pinch of black shows, a quick glance will say you have 5 spades, a flush. It's an old cheat, but still sometimes used.

sam

What I meant to add to my error post above was:

A "four-flusher" wasn't a cheater, mearly a "bluffer" or a "poseur."

No basis for the "hidden card" trick in anything I've found.

Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When the History Channel did a special on gambling technology, this was one of the terms covered, in the way I described. I've heard it from other places as well.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 14 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sam:
What I meant to add to my error post above was:

A "four-flusher" wasn't a cheater, mearly a "bluffer" or a "poseur."

ummmm once you reveal your hand, you're obliged to correctly state your hand...four-flushing is misrepresenting your hand, and thus cheating. Bluffing is misleading about what your hidden cards are.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sam

quote:
Originally posted by Marricat:

I think the expression "four-flusher" means a phony. Can anyone confirm or correct this, and tell me where it came from?

Ah, there's the question to which I was trying to reply.
I'm sure it came from cards. It only shows up around 1895-1905 in print.

I just found an 1885 cite describing a tete-a-tete between the Russian and the British. It goes on to say,
quote:
The great bluff game, where both sides were drawing to a four flush, has been turned against the bluffer.
An 1883 cite about a card game describes a guy drawing to a "four flush." And he was bluffing.

So, draw your own conclusions.

pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah....drawing to a 4 flush means that you have 4 cards of the same suit and are trying to obtain the 5th. The bluff is leading your opponents to believe you have the 5th card in the hole, when in fact you do not. A four-flusher, though is a person who attempts to pass off a 4 card flush as a five card flush. Casino Termsand Poker cheating In short, if the 5th card is in the hole, that's a legitimate bluff...if it's face up it's a cheat.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages