snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » Collective noun dictionaries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Collective noun dictionaries
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can find many online resources that list collective nouns, but none that list the one I want. What is the collective noun for a group of zombies? I've heard "swarm" suggested, but that's not very good, and it implies a certain amount of speed that most zombies don't have.

If anybody knows, then I'd be very grateful.

Until then, I'm going to use "putrefaction".

[ 18. March 2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: snopes ]

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
R. Paul Unwin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A morgue? An infestation? A scab? A mob? You're not likely to find an offical word and if you did but didn't like it, you'd be under no obligation to use it.

Paul "organize before they rise" Unwin

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A "shamble" of zombies, maybe?

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
R. Paul Unwin

No, I have it: An "audience" of zombies.

ETA: In certain circles, "clutch" is the preferred term. (Second hit when googling "collective noun dictionary zombies.")

petebl

I've always preferred "horde", but that's just me.

---my first post BTW. I've been lurking for months, don't ask me why I chose this topic to start posting.

HurricanePants

I think Romero had it right with a Mall of Zombies [Smile]
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Swarm doesn't really sound 'speedy' to me. *shrug* Anyway - other good ones, IMO, are 'Wave' and 'Mass'.

Tengu Nekogami

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages