snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » woman without her man is nothing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: woman without her man is nothing
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a story that has me wondering:

A teacher asks his students to punctuate this sentence: "Woman without her man is nothing." The men all write, "Woman, without her man, is nothing." The women all write, "Woman! Without her, man is nothing!"

Does anyone have a source for this? It sounds a little too pat for me, something that is intended to have a feminist message but doesn't quite make it. I think the men's interpretation is the more probable one.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Judging from the gratuitous exclamation points, I'd have to say it looks pretty authentic. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of one more:

Woman without, her man is nothing.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for dyfsunctional   E-mail dyfsunctional   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa, man! Without Herman, I's nothing!
Posts: 90 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christopher
Peruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is like a "positive thinking" thing I read once about getting a job during down-turns.

The reader is asked to separate the words this sentence: "Thejobsarenowhere."

Most people of course end up with: "The jobs are nowhere," but that's only because they're thinking negatively. It can also be: "The jobs are now here."

Big whoop. Bet that would've set things straight during the depression. Of course, the fact that when it's separating words like that, the mind tends to go for the first word-ending it can find, and "no" is a word, then nowhere, even though it's a compound, is bound to be the way most people read it.

The same is basically true of the phrase "Woman without her man is nothing." We would tend to drop the comma into the first available spot making it: "Woman, without her man, is nothing."

I hate the way people keep trying to prove philosophical, religious or political points with little word plays.

Chris "Every time you 'assume' you make an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me'" topher

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When you read "Woman without her man is nothing", the way it is said corresponds to the meaning of "Woman, without her man, is nothing."

I honestly don't believe that all the women would say "Woman! Without her, man is nothing." It's just not the most logical choice. "Woman!" isn't even a good exclamation.

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rosa who else
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What percentage of the women wrote this down instead: "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle?"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrozenChosen

Well, all I have to say to that is:

that that is is that that is not is not

dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for dyfsunctional   E-mail dyfsunctional   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that all? That is all.

^^^That's the version from Charlie, a really rotten movie based on a really great book(Flowers for Algernon).

Posts: 90 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfsunctional:
That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that all? That is all.

^^^That's the version from Charlie, a really rotten movie based on a really great book(Flowers for Algernon).

James F Fixx's Solve It! ended the puzzle with "is that it" instead of "that is all".

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd just like to point out that "Woman! Without her, man is nothing" is two sentances, not one. I'd have used a colon, personally.

Either way, it shouldn't it be "A woman" in both cases to be gramatically correct.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
I'd have used a colon, personally.

Whatever turns you on, dear. [Razz]
Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a similar note, can anyone punctuate the following to make sense of it? It is entirely possible to make this into a reasonably coherent statement adding only punctuation, though it takes a while to get your head round. You also have to invent a little back story that makes it a conceivable statement. Give it a go:

John while Mary had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DoYourDuty

My first post. I'm so excited (even though I've lurked for ages).

The teacher had asked John and Mary how to put "to have" in the past participle form.

John, while Mary had had, "Had," had had "Had had." "Had had," had had a better effect.

Do "Had is a funny word now - had had had." YourDuty

Crackrzz

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please tell the student that that that that that boy used was incorrect.

That's one my Nana told me. [Smile]

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fallentears

quote:
woman without her man is nothing
Nope. Woman - man = wo

"Wo" is something. Something is more than nothing.

Danvers Carew

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DoYourDuty - Bingo! you're completely correct! Isn't the English language great? Oh, and welcome to the board!

--------------------

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danvers Carew:
DoYourDuty - Bingo! you're completely correct!

Actually, isn't the second comma wrong?

Crackerzz, that's too easy. Please tell the student that that "that" that that boy used was incorrect.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DoYourDuty

quote:

You mean the one prefacing the first quotation? I think it's right, and I left one out prefacing the second quotation.

John, while Mary had had, "Had," had had, "Had had." "Had had," had had a better effect.

So maybe that's better.

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

I'd actually have gone the other way (in a linguistic exercise, you understand, I'm the king of over-using commas when I type).

John, while Mary had had "Had," had had "Had had." "Had had," had had a better effect.

--------------------

Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheshire Crackrzz:

That's one my Nana told me. [Smile]

Please tell the student that that "that" that that boy used was incorrect.

Obviously, the little bastard should have used "which" instead. --Steve

Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheshire Crackrzz:

"Please tell the student that that...that...that that that boy used was incorrect!"

(To be said with disgust)

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

quote:
posted by trollface:

Yeah - It isn't necessary, but hats off to DoYourDuty for actually making sense of that unholy string of hads.

Now, we could get very silly and imagine John and Mary had had ( [Wink] ) a competition to write a coherent statement with as many "had"s strung together as possible - John comes up with the statement above with 11 "had"s in a row, while Mary manages only 10 "had"s because she decided to go with '"had" had had a better effect' rather than '"had had" had had a better effect' in the second sentence (are you keeping up?). So, writing about John and Mary's "had" competition, you can have the phenomenally silly statement

John while Mary had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had the higher number of hads so John had won

Punctuate that! Course, you could keep going with this and keep writing statements about the previous ones, til you'd used up all the world's supplies of 'had's and everyone would resent you for it.

Danvers "well what it was was was was was incorrect" Carew.

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

John, while Mary had had "had had 'had,' had had 'had had.' 'had' had had," had had "had had 'had,' had had 'had had.' 'had had' had had." "had had 'had,' had had 'had had.' 'had had' had had;" "had had" had the higher number of hads so John had won

Little bit of a stretch at the end. One too many hads? It'd read better without the last quotations, and a full stop rather than the semi-colon. I'm also not sure about having a full stop in the middle of a sentance, even if the stop is in quotations. Other than that, how did I do?

--------------------

Danvers Carew

quote:
posted by trollface:
Other than that, how did I do?

In the words of Christopher Lee in The Wicker Man: "You did it beautifully!" Seems right on the button to me, right down to noticing the extra "had" I deliberately sneaked in there to throw people off the scent (not really - I got myself tied in a knot) - there should be 38 'had's rather than 39, but you even managed to work around the error. Nicely done.

It's perfectly okay to have full stops within quotations - it just looks more odd and confusing in this somewhat unique case.

--------------------

Silence Dogood

I remember reading the "that that that ..." bit in a Ripley's Believe It or Not book. Here's another one from one of Ripley's books that is probably a UL:

Someone in czarist Russia was given a prison sentence. He happened to come upon the sentence written: "Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia." The man stealthily erased the comma and put another one in: "Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia." He was freed.

Silence "like I believe that" Dogood

Paul Unwin, Ringworm Technician

Icon 216 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What two words are compounded in the word "godslaughter"?
Drag, the Spastic Colon

"Gods" and "laughter"?
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Silence Dogood:
Someone in czarist Russia was given a prison sentence. He happened to come upon the sentence written: "Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia." The man stealthily erased the comma and put another one in: "Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia." He was freed.

In the 4th year, or so, we had half an hour a week in English lessons, where we had to bring in a book and read it. We had to note what book we had brought in and how many pages we had read on a form that was handed out each week; think like a dentist's card, so that we gradually built up a catalogue on this one bit of paper.

Well, one book I brought in was "Buck Rogers: That Man On Beta". When I wrote it down it had miraculously changed into "Buck, rogers that man on Beta"

--------------------

tlqeeeee

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So... do you pronounce this word "unionized" or "unionized?" [Wink]

And yes, I know it's obnoxious to post something like that, which is so dependent on verbal stresses. but hey... it's a good test of whether you're a scientifically or social-scientifically minded person. [Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Oh... by the way... a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle. [Wink]

*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 214 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

~Mazel "Yay for Ray Troll!" Tov~

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fallentears:
quote:
Nope. Woman - man = wo

Merriam Webste defines "wo" as a warrant officer. So woman, without her man, outranks a noncommissioned officer.
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Danvers Carew:
DoYourDuty - Bingo! you're completely correct!

Crackerzz, that's too easy. Please tell the student that that "that" that that boy used was incorrect.

LOL, actually I never meant for anyone to punctuate it... but, OK. [Smile]

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 03 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mari:
Here's a story that has me wondering:

A teacher asks his students to punctuate this sentence: "Woman without her man is nothing." The men all write, "Woman, without her man, is nothing." The women all write, "Woman! Without her, man is nothing!"

Does anyone have a source for this? It sounds a little too pat for me, something that is intended to have a feminist message but doesn't quite make it. I think the men's interpretation is the more probable one.

I recall reading where Herb Wheaton, the longtime publisher (1912-1952) of the fabled Hokah Chief gazetta in Minnesota, was oft fond of using the columns of his weekly paper to, among other things, educate his readers about the importance of careful punctuation and spelling.

A classic example I found in a history of the Chief, by title Without Stuttering, could be considered an early version of this story:
quote:

"A comma is a small mark, yet its importance is very great. Read the following sentence:

"'Woman, without her, man would be but a savage beast.'

"Remove the commas and read it again."

I hope this helps.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 303 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fallentears:
quote:
Nope. Woman - man = wo

But then again, let's not forget where the first edition (1768) of the Encyclopaedia Britannica thus defined "woman:"
quote:

"The female of man. See Homo."

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages