snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » Jack Kerouac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jack Kerouac
Paul
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 201 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that Jack Kerouac wrote his literary masterpiece "On The Road", on a role of toilet paper he copped from a truck stop during his well documented travels across the country. Is this true or just a frabicated UL?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not totally untrue, just a bit garbled. It was a single roll, but not toilet paper. Typing paper from the days of manual typewriters or copypaper(?)
Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BCE

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this site, it was written on a roll of teletype paper.

And, here is a story of the original manuscript being auctioned off by Christie's.
quote:
Kerouac's On The Road manuscript is a 120-foot long scroll consisting of a series of single-spaced typed twelve-foot long rolls of paper that have been scotched taped together.
So, yes the TP story is a 'frabicated UL' [Razz]

BCE (dharma bum)

Animal or god?

Aye and remembering reading that book, I think he'd copied some bits from further up. He might as well wiped his backside with it... or stuck to his poetry ("stuck" metaphorically, not by any other way!)
avenging disco rossdawg

quote:
Originally posted by Animal or god?:
Aye and remembering reading that book, I think he'd copied some bits from further up. He might as well wiped his backside with it... or stuck to his poetry ("stuck" metaphorically, not by any other way!)

For the first time in history, I agree. The book should have been written on Charmin.

I don't see what everybody sees in this book. I think Keouac invented the modern form of mental masturbation. Whenever I hear somebody in a band or an actor refer to themselves or their ideas as art or whenever a college freshman labels his or herself an "intellectual", I know they have a once read copy of On the Road near their bed. It is the worst form of shoegazing self-centered softheaded tortured soul syndrome.
I think people should get out there and do their living for themselves. And if you must live vicariously, read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Animal or god?

Kerouac could write.
At times.
But I don't think he did a good job here. A thorough edit might have made it better, you could have cut half (at least) of it out... It ends up going nowhere.

I suppose the other "overrated American classic" would be "The Catcher in the Rye". By the end of the 1960s it would have been dated.

And yes I do prefer "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"... even "The Naked Lunch" because for all that book's failures it did break some ground.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages