snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » etymology of "rule of thumb"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: etymology of "rule of thumb"
redscares
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

am told that phrase "rule of thumb" actually was NOT derived from the maximum size of the stick with which you were permitted to beat your wife legally.

if so, where does the phrase really come from?
redscares@yahoo.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Dave's Etymology Page (at the bottom):

quote:
Rule of Thumb

The phrase is almost certainly an allusion to the fact that the first joint an adult thumb
measures roughly one inch, literally a rule (or ruler) of thumb. Since human dimensions
vary, any measurement so taken would be only a rough approximation and not to be trusted where precision was required.

The most commonly connected tale with this story is that the original rule of thumb
appeared in English Common Law. The law said that a man could not beat his wife with a
stick that was thicker than his thumb. Beating her with smaller sticks was permitted, and in some regions encouraged, to keep the woman in her place.

While it was certainly true that in many places in the past (and unfortunately to this present day), men were permitted to beat their wives, but this so-called rule was never codified. In fact, this explanation does not appear until relatively recently and its appearances are in American courts that claim such an old English law exists without citing it specifically.

Blackstone in Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765) writes, "the husband also (by the old law) might give his wife moderate correction. [...] But this power of correction was confined within reasonable bounds; and the husband was prohibited to use any violence to his wife, aliter quam ad virum, ex causa regiminis et castigationis uxoris suae, licited et rationabiliter pertinet (other than what is reasonably necessary to the discipline and correction of the wife). The civil law gave the husband the same, or a larger, authority over his wife; allowing him, for some misdemeanors, flagellis et fustibus acriter verbare uxorem
(to wound his wife severely with whips and fists); for others, only modicam castigationem adhibere (to apply modest corrective punishment)." No mention of thumbs at all.

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Edith D Bunker

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Take a look at this very thorough discussion frm AFU http://www.urbanlegends.com/language/etymology/rule_of_thumb.html

EDB

'Lester

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had a girlfriend or wife, my _OWN_ preference would be to TICKLE her until she's breathless!
Let's face it ... beating her only makes her scream louder; instead if she were tickled until breathless, I believe I could get more than a couple of words in, edgewise (and there's even the remote chance she MIGHT forgive me ... after claiming UNFAIR!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages