snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » Malachy Prediction for Pope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Malachy Prediction for Pope
RBCal
Deck the Malls

Icon 207 posted      Profile for RBCal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever proven or debunked the Malachy prophecies? According to Malachy, there will only be two more popes until the end of the world. The next pope will be "Gloria Olivae" (The Glory of the Olive). The final pope will be Peter the Roman:

"In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge the people. The End."

--------------------
"The women who embraced in the wagon were Adam and Eve crossing a dark cathedral stage—no, Eve and Eve, loving one another as they would not be able to once they ate of the fruit and knew themselves as they truly were." - Lynn Cheney, Sisters.

Posts: 289 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was looking at that yesterday and I believe some sites say that while Gloria Olivae will be the next pope and the final pope will be Peter the Roman, there may be some inbetween that are not named.
I will have to go back and look.
Kim "and welcome to snopes!"

Edited to add:
It has been noticed concerning Petrus Romanus, who according to St. Malachy's list is to be the last pope, that the prophecy does not say that no popes will intervene between him and his predecessor designated Gloria olivoe. It merely says that he is to be the last, so that we may suppose as many popes as we please before "Peter the Roman".
From http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's really no way to "debunk it" since it's prophesy and totally open to interpretation. I always find it interesting that when they give the list according to St. Malacy they are often unable to give reasons for the cognomens that apply to some of the popes.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also the "Prophesies" were lost for 400 years. There is still a lot of speculation that they are forgeries.

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I haven't been able to find out is if the predictions for Pope were numerical or ordered, like First there will be Dude the Buff, then Cracked Bum, then Twisty Nipples - and that these corresponded to subsequent Popes... OR, if there were a hundred "predictions" and people have hunted and pecked their way through the list to make them fit to real people.

If this was all hit or miss, then "Peter the Roman" could well have been Pope Peter from back in 285 AD... hey, he IS the Bishop of Rome.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orshee
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orshee   E-mail Orshee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this prophecy, Is Peter the Roman going to bring about the end of the world, or will he just happen to be Pope when it occurs?

The way I read it, "feed the sheep through many tribulations" could mean that he takes care of the sheep during times of conflict or that he pushes them into tough times.

Posts: 130 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

I read on one of the sites where the final pope would leave the vatican and "walk out over the bodies of the priests". I'm not sure what that means.

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to some versions, Peter the Roman will be the Antichrist.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

I read one article that said the guy who shot the pope (can't remember his name), sent him a letter begging him to tell the name of the antichrist before he died. It was something about the Fatima prophesy. Have to go look again.
Kim

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
I read on one of the sites where the final pope would leave the vatican and "walk out over the bodies of the priests". I'm not sure what that means.

That's from the Third Secret of Fatima.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the pope is always stationned at the Vatican right?So the "of Rome" part can be interpreted as such.

So they basically tell us to run to the bomb shelter next time someone named Peters is mentionned in religion.Bah.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Communication Attempt:
Well the pope is always stationned at the Vatican right?

There was a time that the Popes lived in Avignon, France.

quote:
So the "of Rome" part can be interpreted as such.

"Peter the Roman" has been understood to mean someone who is from Rome, who grew up in Rome.

quote:
So they basically tell us to run to the bomb shelter next time someone named Peters is mentionned in religion.Bah.

A traditional belief/pious legend has been that the last Pope would be Peter II. Pope Sergius IV changed his name for that reason.

--------------------

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
e^pi_i
A Thousand Potatoes Yet to Go by K. P. Dutie

Icon 18 posted      Profile for e^pi_i   E-mail e^pi_i   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And just to add some more of the prophecy in here...

Pope John Paul II, the 110th Pope, was designated "De labore Solis" by St. Malachy's prophecy. The day he was born, and now, the day of his funeral, a solar eclipse.

I guess coincidence, but who knows? [Cool]

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

http://www.alphee.com/Phenomena/eclipse_1900_1925.htm

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/04/05/solar.eclipse.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Posts: 17 | From: Charlottesville | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orshee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orshee   E-mail Orshee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But don't religious folks look forward to Judgment Day? I mean, isn't the idea of knowing Peter the Roman is followed by "The End" a good thing if you are a believer?
Posts: 130 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by e^pi_i:
And just to add some more of the prophecy in here...

Pope John Paul II, the 110th Pope, was designated "De labore Solis" by St. Malachy's prophecy. The day he was born, and now, the day of his funeral, a solar eclipse.

I guess coincidence, but who knows? [Cool]

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

http://www.alphee.com/Phenomena/eclipse_1900_1925.htm

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/04/05/solar.eclipse.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

FWIW, the eclipse on the day of John Paul II's funeral is (a) partial, (b) over the Americas. Had it been over Poland, and total...

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RBCal
Deck the Malls

Icon 207 posted      Profile for RBCal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but John Paul II was born on May 18, 1920.
On that date, in the morning, there was a near total eclipse of the sun over Europe.

This seems a bit eerie.

--------------------
"The women who embraced in the wagon were Adam and Eve crossing a dark cathedral stage—no, Eve and Eve, loving one another as they would not be able to once they ate of the fruit and knew themselves as they truly were." - Lynn Cheney, Sisters.

Posts: 289 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's bring this up to the top now that Benedict XVI has been elected as the next Pope...
Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The glory of the olive?

Pope Ye?

Sorry. [fish]

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cubism artist
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AdmiralDinty commented on another thread that the symbol of Saint Benedict was the olive, and the prophecies said the next Pope would be "The Glory Of The Olive"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if Benedict XVI choosed this name purposefully to mess with the heads of people who believe in those prophecies?

I bet he'll surf the web tonight and snicker "suckers!" a lot. [Wink]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

I was wondering how the Pope choses his name? Does he get to pick? Spin the bottle???
Kim

ETA: Found this:
He was, of course, free to pick from any of his 264 predecessors, use his own first name or come up with something new.

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Cubism artist

John Paul I chose his name from his two predecessors, who were a major influence on him, John XXIII and Paul VI, then John Paul II chose the same name for the same reasons. Maybe today all the news are going to explain the reasons for Benedict XVI.
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Benedict and Pope Benedict the XV were profound peacemakers, able to broker peaceful outcomes from horrible situations.

Evidentally, this is what Bene XVI wants to do as well...

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orshee:
But don't religious folks look forward to Judgment Day? I mean, isn't the idea of knowing Peter the Roman is followed by "The End" a good thing if you are a believer?

Judgement day, yes. The tribulation that is thought to procede it by many, not so much.

Luke 21:
quote:
10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: 11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. 12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake. 13 And it shall turn to you for a testimony. 14 Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer: 15 For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. 16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. 17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake. 18 But there shall not an hair of your head perish. 19 In your patience possess ye your souls. 20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. 21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto. 22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people. 24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled. 25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. 27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. 29 And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; 30 When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. 31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. 32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. 33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. 34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. 35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

"Mahony Says the World Soon Will See Pontiff's Pastoral Side":
quote:
After Ratzinger was elected, Mahony said, the new pope was asked what name he had chosen.

"He said, 'I'm going to take Benedict XVI,' but then went on to explain why, which is very interesting," Mahony said.

His first reason was that his namesake, Pope Benedict XV, reigned from 1914 to 1922 during World War I. "It was the worst scourge of war ever known on the face of the Earth" at the time, Mahony said.

"So he said we still need to be working at peacemaking, reconciliation and harmony around the world," Mahony said.

The second reason offered by Ratzinger was that St. Benedict, who founded the Benedictine Order, said that "Jesus Christ is first and foremost. Everything else is secondary. [Ratzinger] said those are the reasons [he] chose the name."

--------------------

LuMaria

quote:
A traditional belief/pious legend has been that the last Pope would be Peter II. Pope Sergius IV changed his name for that reason.
Actually, Pope Sergius IV changed his name because it would simply have been presumptuous to name himself after the first Pope and leader of the church. And also to rid himself of his nickname, "Pig-nose". Pope Pig-nose isn't quite as distinguished. At any rate, he predated the prophecy/belief by at least a hundred years.
RBCal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RBCal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To me it seems that Malachy's prophecies are debunked by the selection of Ratzinger. What does he have to do with "Gloria Olivae"???

If they had chosen Cardinal Martini, it would have been very fitting. Everyone knows an olive is the glory of the martini.

--------------------

LuMaria

Nope, it's not really debunked. The symbol of the Benedictine order is the olive branch. And lo and behold, he named himself Benedict XVI. It's still rather thin to me, as he's not actually a Benedictine, but he named himself such because he was interested in promoting peace, or "extending an olive branch".

Or maybe I'm just really sleepy.

M. J. Wise

LuMaria,

Even that seems thin to me. After all, how many warmongering popes have their been in recent years?

More interesting, it is rumored that Cardinal Martini of Italy was the only major opposition that Benedict faced in the conclave. What if HE had been elected? Isn't the martini the "glory of the olive" ?? [Wink]

LuMaria

Heh, I really think he meant peace and understanding between Catholics and their church or whatever. Again, I think it's all quite tenuous, and you can really prove anything with those short little descriptions. If a pope ever eats an olive, it could be proven. It's not really specific detail.

And he needs to do something glorious, otherwise he'll just be "the olive".

Laser Potato
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laser Potato     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I drew a cartoon once, with the seven-headed dragon destroying New York and eating people, and it was saying "Ha ha ha! Did you really think the Antichrist was gonna be a crappy Pope?!" I don't know what I was thinking, really... I guess I watch way too much Evangelion. x.x

--------------------
I want a lawyer! I want a doctor! I want a cheese sandwich!

Posts: 67 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
valandearl19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anybody tie Cardinal Ratzinger to the phrase "Glory of the Olive" because I can't think of anything unless the olive has some other meaning that I don't know about.

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

quote:
Originally posted by valandearl19:
Can anybody tie Cardinal Ratzinger to the phrase "Glory of the Olive" because I can't think of anything unless the olive has some other meaning that I don't know about.

As has been already stated twice above, Ratzinger chose the name "Benedict", and the symbol of the Benedictine order is the olive branch.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages