snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » What is the Universal Life Church?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the Universal Life Church?
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday, my sister got herself ordained be the Universal Life Church. Is she really a legally ordained minister now? Can she actually preform marriage ceremonies now, for example? And in general, what is the ULC?

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume it's legal, and your sister can perform marriages in her state provided of course that other formalities are followed. As far as I can see she's met the requirement of "minister" or "clergy" under state law. The state can't (or shouldn't) pick and choose what church you have to belong to to qualify as a "minister."

There was a thread a while ago where a bunch of us, including me, became ordained ministers through a site like that (possibly the same one) and joked about it on the board.

The ULC doesn't seem to stand for hard and fast ideas, just individual conscience. My guess is that it makes its money from the materials it sells.

I know that in years past people became "ordained ministers" to participate in tax scams, and that the government cracked down on it.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBreast:
Yesterday, my sister got herself ordained be the Universal Life Church. Is she really a legally ordained minister now? Can she actually preform marriage ceremonies now, for example? And in general, what is the ULC?

The FAQ at the site has a pretty complete set of answers for you.

"Is my ordination legal? This is the most common question received by the Monastery. Rest-assured, your ordination is legal in all 50 states. As for performing marriages: yes, you are legal to perform marriages. In some states, registration beforehand is required. You can call your local County Clerk to see whether or not you need to register. There are some states that choose to take issue with registering ULC ministers. This is their ignorance, not the law. It is acceptable, when filling out your registration and the actual wedding license, to put the phrase, ‘non-denom’ under the section ‘denomination’. If this is unacceptable to the Clerk’s office, they will let you know. This may help avoid any conflict with people who doubt the validity of your license."

"As a Minister, what tax exempt privileges as I allowed?

In most cases none. As a private citizen, all your earnings are subject to taxation. Some states do allow an exemption on private property for the clergy. Check with you local Assessor."

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Two Scoops
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Scoops   Author's Homepage   E-mail Two Scoops   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice old bump on this...

I was looking at this, but can't find any legality about it in Canada. Would doing this allow someone to perform marriages etc in Ontario Canada?

Also, assuming it does, does this allow someone to say they are a minister in their own religion, like the Church of LMNOP?

Posts: 846 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realize the Universal Life Church was still around. I was under the impression that it started in the 1960's, when guys wanted a painless legal way to dodge the draft--they became mail order ministers. So it doesn't surprise me that they're not big on any sort of dogma. My brother joined it, the chicken hawk, and for several years went around greeting people by saying, "Blessings of Universal Life!"

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kuzibah
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kuzibah   E-mail Kuzibah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's still around. A friend of mine and I got ordained at the site last year to perform a wedding for two other friends. We had to fax some documentation of our ordination to the county where the wedding would take place (in Ohio) and fill out some paperwork, but it was entirely legal. I found out in our own state (Pennsylvania) the documentation requirements are even less stringent. As far as I can tell, you don't even need a minister/JoP of any kind involved. (Then again, we have a lot of Quakers.)

Since the wedding I've met a lot of ULC ministers, and while most of them got ordained to do a wedding (or just for the hell of it) there were a few who took it as a serious responsibility, and wouldn't perform any duties lightly.

Posts: 31 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tragic Story
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tragic Story     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why stop at ULC when you can also be a proud minister of the Beer Church?

http://www.beerchurch.com/ordination.htm

--------------------
-----------
"Societies are supported by human activity, therefore they are constantly threatened by the human facts of self-intrest and stupidity." --Peter Berger

Posts: 85 | From: Central Mass | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you donate $100 and promise to obey its strictly loose tenets as delivered by the High Mucky-Muck, you, too can become a Minister of the Holy Church of Hugo, the Great Eternal Platypus.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tragic Story:

Because you need to be ordained by the ULC to become a BC minister.

Read the small print.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tragic Story
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tragic Story     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bug Muldoon:
quote:
Originally posted by Tragic Story:

Because you need to be ordained by the ULC to become a BC minister.

Read the small print.

I have read the fine print.

Which is why I used the words "why stop at ULC when you can ALSO..." as opposed to "why not just be..."

--------------------
-----------
"Societies are supported by human activity, therefore they are constantly threatened by the human facts of self-intrest and stupidity." --Peter Berger

Posts: 85 | From: Central Mass | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
super chicken
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rather join The Church of the Subgenius.

Slack rules! Praise Bob!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages