snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » Muslims call Pokemon a Jewish/Zionist conspiracy (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Muslims call Pokemon a Jewish/Zionist conspiracy
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 107 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.cesnur.org/2001/pokemon_april01.htm

Apparently, Pokemon means "I am a Jew" in Japanese, and the Colorless Energy insignia is the Star of David.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
-_- Pokemon just can't get a break, can it?

And has anyone else ever heard the phrase "Jewish-Darwinist" before this article?

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me for being a skeptic, but anybody notice the link is about "april01", a.k.a. April's Fool?

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or it may be April 29, 2001, the date the article was written.

DarkDan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooooooh....

Trouting myself. [fish] Sorry! Thanks for the correction, Dan. [Smile]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoyGer-I heart you
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, what a load of hogwash.
If anyone cares, "I am a Jew" in Japanese would be "Watashi wa Yudayajin desu."
Oh yes, that has 'Pokemon' written all over it [Roll Eyes]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vulgaris and the Infinite Blandness
Deck the Malls

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Vulgaris and the Infinite Blandness   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vulgaris and the Infinite Blandness       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Muslim fundamentalists (pMms) lying about something harmless to advance their hatred?

In fact, ANY p*m lying about something like Pokemon to advance their hatred?

Who's surprised?! Honestly?

DH: "Monster Balls to the Wall" He Makes Good Cents

--------------------
Attention: If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Posts: 240 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh for the love of... Okay, as a not yet ordained otaku, I am quiet certain that Pokemon does not mean I am a Jew. IIRC, it its a very loose translation meaning Pocket Monsters, but I could be wrong. So does that man that Digimon mean something else in Japanese?

Someone needs to get a life and find some other way to entertain themselves besides making up worthless drivel like this. [flame]

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J. Thaddeus Toad

Is it even called Pokemon in Japan? I always thought that it was just whatever "pocket monsters" is in Japanese, and when they moved it over here the decided to call it Po(c)ke(t) Mon(sters).
NansJns

Icon 506 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Japanese title *is* Pocket Monsters. I think they even say it in English, not Japanese. For whatever reason, when it was dubbed, they squished it into "Pokemon." Digimon, likewise, is Digital Monsters. Who are these idiots?! Do the words "fact checking" hold any meaning for you?! Well, obviously not; never mind. Jerk offs.

*~*NansJns*~*

Tokugawa Bakayasu - Shoguns 50% Off

FWIW, the actual title would be transcribed as poketto monsutaa, but it is more popularly known as pokemon.

The explanation for this abbreviation centers on a common practice in Japanese. Long words or phrases (and the original title has nine syllables in Japanese - po ke (glottal stop) to mo n su ta a) are often shortened, and the most common result is a four syllable compound using the first parts of each word. With a two-word phrase, such as the original, the first two syllables of each word are used (po ke mo n).

Another example of this phenomenon would be the Japanese for "Word processor." The original word in Japanese would be waado purosessaa, which, given that it's also nine syllables long (wa a do pu ro se (glottal stop) sa a) in Japanese, is shortened to waapuro.

Also, FWIW, I can think of no way whatsoever that "Pokemon" could possibly mean, "I am a Jew." The suggestion is completely ludicrous. It makes as much sense as saying "GI Joe," actually means "Is your daughter 18?" in straight-up, standard, non-coded English.

Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What would they make of Yugiyo, I wonder? Or Hamtaro?

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They'd have a fit over Yu-gi-oh... in fact, I'm amazed more parents in the US haven't...

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like some folks mentioned before, Pokemon stands for "pocket monsters," although some of them a re way too big to fit in your pocket (Wailord, anyone?).

The Colorless Energy symbol in the card game is a filled-in six-pointed star and is probably meant to represent the six basic enrgy types in the original TCG (fire, fighting, grass, lighning, psychic, and water). OTOH, the Star of David is a wireframe six-pointed star made by putting two equilateral triangles together. See the difference?

The whole "Jewish-Zionist-conspiracy" thing is too ridiculous to comment on.

I suggest we enlighten these pMm's by any means necessary (short of using violence, of course, but sometimes I wonder if that's the only way to break it to them... [Roll Eyes] ).

- Pseudo "gotta tell 'em off" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was also taught Pokemon is "Pocket Monster".

And, isn't it interesting that Pokemon comes from Japan - a nation overflowing with Jews (Yes, I am being facitious).

From what I have been told, Japan is a country in which religion is not a really big thing. That may or may not be true, but I am quite certain the major religions of Japan are Christianity, and an assortment of asian faiths, like Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto, etc.

Meaning no disrespect to anyone, but I don't think I will see a lot of Synagogues or Yamulkas if I visit Japan one day.

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mizu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mizu   E-mail Mizu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U.T. Raptor:
They'd have a fit over Yu-gi-oh... in fact, I'm amazed more parents in the US haven't...

How can the parents have a fit when they've already

a. edited guns out
b. edited out the two pentagrams (..I think they were pentagrams...something like that anyway...It was in the first episode where Exodia was summoned, and then the trap Spell Binding Circle is supposed to be one)
c. edited quite a bit of dialogue and have even...changed plot lines and character relationships!!!
d. Changed what is obviously (to adults and knowledgable teens) wine to ....*dies* Fruit juice...

I'm sorry, but the US dub of Yugioh is one thing that just NFBSKes me off. It's edited so much so that it WON'T offend anyone...and yet there was a rumor I saw somewhere that said some people said that it's promoting Satanism or something...

~Mizu ~ *needs a life outside of her anime [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am lost in the familiar streets
and created the other side of myself in the darkness" ~ Kawaita Sakebi~ Field of View

Posts: 302 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kokopelli

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra4J:
I was also taught Pokemon is "Pocket Monster".

And, isn't it interesting that Pokemon comes from Japan - a nation overflowing with Jews (Yes, I am being facitious).

From what I have been told, Japan is a country in which religion is not a really big thing. That may or may not be true, but I am quite certain the major religions of Japan are Christianity, and an assortment of asian faiths, like Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto, etc.

Meaning no disrespect to anyone, but I don't think I will see a lot of Synagogues or Yamulkas if I visit Japan one day.

There are many Christians in Japan, but it's a very minuscule percentage of the population. And there are almost no Jews. Oddly, a lot of right-wing Japanese groups are virulently anti-Semitic. I guess it's like a package deal.

And Pokemon is just "Poketto Monsutaa" in Japan. It was called "Pokemon" in America because it was easier to trademark a made-up word than to market a line of "Pocket Monster" merchandise in America.

Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, it is called Pokemon in Japan, too.
Listen to the first Japanese opening theme-- they use the term.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lament

Jeez...

First of all, that was written by an outraged Jewish journalist of some regard, almost everything he writes relates to anti-semetism in some way. That is his focus.

In light of his focusing on that element, he has graetly distorted the issue. Yes, Pokemon is banned by Fatwa and by law in Saudi Arabia. Yes, one of the reasons cited for the fatwa was the fact that there are religious symbols in the cartoons, but that includes many non-Jewish ones:

quote:
...contains some signs that have their meanings and known to their proponents, like 'The Hexa Star', which has something to do with the Zionists and Masons, and it has become an emblem for the cancerous and usurping state known as Israel. There are other signs, also like 'The Triangles', which relate to the Masons, as well as other symbols of atheism and the Japanese religion.
Here is the WHOLE reasoning for the Fatwa, I think you will agree that any similarity to the Star of David is at best a MINOR concern in this religious ruling - and only one of many symbols it disapproves of. The idea that someone thinks "Pokemon" means Jew is some kind of misunderstanding or Urban Legend that got started by the official Fatwa against it.

To Mr. Tugend, it seems that for Arabs to be against anything it must be because of an association with Jews. This ignores the fact that most of the fatwa singles out Darwin as the main culprit in all of this, and the implication of gambling is another major concern.

Of course there is anti-semetism in the Middle East, but there is no reason to seek it out and distort the truth to make it appear central to a wholly unrelated issue.

quote:

Basis of the unlawfulness of Pokemon:

1- The cartoon contains items that run counter to the Muslim's creed, as it indirectly tries to give support to the controversial Darwin's theory of evolution, which indicates that every living species undergoes a gradual development, in the sense that the existing species produces new ones through adaptation to new surroundings. According to this theory, man, before reaching his present form, has undergone a series of evolutionary changes, from simpler forms up to the stages of being in the form of an ape, deemed to be closely related to man. This cartoon tries to enhance this theory, by instilling in children's minds, Darwin's idea on the gradual development of characteristics of insects.

2- It distorts the pure minds of children by presenting to them things that have no basis in human reasoning, and that are just the product of the authors' imagination, totally opposed to Almighty Allah's Scheme regarding nature. It diverts the child's attention from his surrounding nature by presenting fictitious animals to him. This is totally against Allah's Order mentioned in the following verse: 'Do they not look at the Camels, how they are made?' (Al-Ghaashiyya: 17)
The camel is mentioned in this verse for it is the animal common in the Arab world, and, thus, easy to be understood by people living in the region. So the best thing for us is to inculcate in our children's full awareness what exists in their surroundings.

3- The cartoon poses a great risk to the child's mental development and his conduct, for it presents images full of action and violence, trying to make him believe that life is always a scene of battles where survival is for the fittest: another of Darwin's dogma.
No doubt, all of us have seen the negative effects of horror movies, which have posed as a disadvantage to most Western countries. It is no wonder that serial killings take place on a daily basis among children at school.

4- Pokemon is also a game supporting gambling which is totally forbidden in Islam, as it is considered part of Satan's abomination.
The cartoon game involves playing with cards, which are sometimes purchased at high prices. A competition exists between the winning card and the losing cards; this is governed with rules known to those who play this game. In the course of this game the possessor of a winning card (Joker) has an upper hand in totally subduing his counterpart, who is left with no option but to comply with unfair rules. It completely resembles the old practices of pre-Islamic era; of course they have been rendered forbidden, thanks to the just rules of Islam.

5- This game 'Pokemon' also contains some signs that have their meanings and known to their proponents, like 'The Hexa Star', which has something to do with the Zionists and Masons, and it has become an emblem for the cancerous and usurping state known as Israel. There are other signs, also like 'The Triangles', which relate to the Masons, as well as other symbols of atheism and the Japanese religion. All these signs and symbols have many side effects on our children in the long run.

by Mufti Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi

the full thing is here: http://www.cesnur.org/2004/pokemon_01.htm

--- G.

Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, when Ash's little yellow friend is about to use his electro-bolt power, doesn't he say, "I'm a JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!"???

Nevermind, I got it... [fish] OUCH!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'The Hexa Star', which has something to do with the Zionists and Masons, and it has become an emblem for the cancerous and usurping state known as Israel. There are other signs, also like 'The Triangles', which relate to the Masons,
The what???

What have these clerics been smoking?

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kokopelli

quote:
Originally posted by First of Two Bits:
quote:
'The Hexa Star', which has something to do with the Zionists and Masons, and it has become an emblem for the cancerous and usurping state known as Israel. There are other signs, also like 'The Triangles', which relate to the Masons,
The what???

What have these clerics been smoking?

The "Hexa Star" is the Star of David. Beats me what "The Triangles" are, though.

Maybe there's a fatwa against the percussion section of orchestras, too.

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guessed what the "Hexa Star" was, but I can't recall ever seeing it used in Freemasonry.

I suppose Masonry might be a little different in the rare places it exists in that part of the world.

But to me it's just more evidence that these people (fatwa-issuing hardline Islamic clerics) are loonies.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lament

I think the triangle part has to do with the Masonic symbol of the pyramid and the "all seeing eye". Muslims are very "anti-pagan", so to speak. [Wink]

But yeah, it's nuts [Smile]

--- G.

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I guessed what the "Hexa Star" was, but I can't recall ever seeing it used in Freemasonry.

Draw a line between the two points of the compass and then another between the two points of the square.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doing that, one is left with something that sorta-kinda resembles a Star of david. The angles are all wrong, though. Care to tell me where a 90o angle resides in an equilateral triangle?

If the Jews are as particular with having their symbols correct as some groups are [Wink] , claiming that is a Star would bring down the Wrath.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

While I don't mean to question an actual Mason, I'm curious.

The main city lodge here had an open day some time ago (a "Freemasonry in the community" type of deal). I went along and remember seeing a six-pointed star on the ceiling; when I asked about it, I was told that it (and a picture of the sun nearby) represented the universe being created by the Grand Architect, or something along those lines.

So while it's not part of Masonry per se, would there be anything in Masonry specifically prohibiting the use of such symbols? (I guess I could be having a faulty memory and it could in fact have been a 5-pointed star...)

(And yes, I know this has no bearing on the topic at hand...)

Jonathan.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lament

If it was a 5-pointed star, aka a pentagram, they were Satanists. Move to a different city. Quickly, they know where you are.

--- G.

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T, Revolutionary Apathist:
So while it's not part of Masonry per se, would there be anything in Masonry specifically prohibiting the use of such symbols?

Not that I know of.

--------------------

Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I've seen, the first two games were called Pocket Monsters, but soon the conjunctoined name became really popular, and it was official in America, so Nintendo Japan just started naming a lot of games with BOTH titles in Japan. If you look at the Japanese version of the poke pinball game, it's called Pokemon Pinball, not Pocket Monster pinball. So, both are pretty much accurate in Japan.

And yes, anyone who bothered to do research on this would have figured out how ridiculous such a claim is. However, that assumes the person was intelligent enough to know the difference between "research" and "conjecture" to begin with.

Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JR
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The six-pointed star is very much a Masonic symbol. It's refered to as the Seal of Solomon, and you see them on cars around here.

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

I've heard of the Seal of Solomon. May be true in Canada... different lodges. But I can't recall ever seeing one here.

The Eastern Star has a five-pointed star as part of their symbol, though.

--------------------

JR
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have Scottish Rite and Grand Lodge just up the street from me. I know Scottish Rite use it.

I never could keep the buggers straight.

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"...and believe the toy craze is part of a Jewish-Zionist conspiracy to turn Arab children away from Islam.",

Too bad it's not true. The above motivation may not be such a bad idea, IMO.

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please elaborate, kendor. If at all possible, something that doesn't equate al-Qaeda with all Islam would be of use.

Jonathan.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages