snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » mark of the beast (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: mark of the beast
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 107 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i received a powerpoint slideshow about a "VeriChip" smart chip. i did a google on it, and came up with this. does anyone know anything about these things?

http://religion-cults.com/antichrist/mark.htm

more info

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1869457.stm

sounds like big brother is really starting to move in.

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the first link claims that every bar code contains the number 666, and likens social security numbers to the mark of the beast. I would say that page is not a unbiased source of information.

24k"My microchiped dogs ARE the beast"Kate

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oh pleeze:
i received a powerpoint slideshow about a "VeriChip" smart chip. i did a google on it, and came up with this. does anyone know anything about these things?

http://religion-cults.com/antichrist/mark.htm

more info

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1869457.stm

sounds like big brother is really starting to move in.

The technology is real, but the first web page you link to is silly. Why would Satan need to tag you with a microchip? And why would God send anyone with that microchip to Hell? Wouldn't a better policy be to send only the evil or the unrepentent or whatever?

And what is so inherently wrong with global government? I myself look forward to the day when people are able to overcome silly feelings of nationalism and realize that every person on earth has the same basic rights, and therefore should live under the same laws.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The question is whether or not we see this as being a bad thing. I've considered getting my cat micro chipped. If she was lost and her collar came off, the pound wouldn't know to notify me if they found her.

Also, it does sound convinient to have a form of ID inside of your body. Right now I have a driver's licence and a flimsey paper social security card. I have to carry them around and worry about them getting lost.

I think it's still a ways off for us to have a cashless society, with debit cards implanted in our hands. Even that might not be too bad though. I can't count how many times I've wanted a soda and not had the right change for the vending machine.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
crb
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never been able to figure out what was so bad about having a cashless society. OMG, that would be wonderful. I NEVER have cash when I need it. I was so happy when Wenday's started taking debit/credit cards. And I think microchipping pets is a good idea. Only mine are too lazy to run away. But if someone stole them. You know. Someone who didn't know what a pain they are sometimes.

But then, my DH's stepmother thinks *I'm* the anti-Christ, so maybe that's why Revelations doesn't all sound so bad to me. Except for the pestilence thingy. That can't be good...

crb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that having these chips implanted in children and people who might easily get lost (like Alzheimer's patients) is a good idea. I don't remember the exact case, but a demented woman disappeared from an airport bathroom because the attendant was male. She just vanished. If she had some sort of trackable device, maybe she could have been located.

I have also heard that anyone who has a cell phone can be located within 50ft. So if big brother really wants to find you he can.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would implant my kid in an instant, especially if the chip can be remove later. If I were some one who traveled overseas, especially to areas where kidnappings are common, I'd even get one. It may even be useful to tag soldier before going into battle, it would insure the ability to id a body as well as offer an increases possibility of rescueing POWs. I hope this comes to pass.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hey, that soldier idea is a good one. however, it would probably be best if they chips were made of some sort of material that couldn't be detected with x-ray or someother sort of "chip" detector. then again, if they were POWs, i'm sure their captors would just cut their hands off, and destroy them....sad thought, sorry folks.

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, after thinking about it for a while, What if "The Enemy" hacked into the ststem and used the locator chips to watch troop movements? Maybe this idea needs more work...

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the only negative thought that went through my mind oh pleeze! Instead of purse snatchers would we have cases of stolen hands?

There would still have to be some sort of pin number or other identifier to make anyone else besides the chip owner less able to use the chip.

I can imagine a whole undergroud trade of chips, and cases of idenitity theft.

Yet wait! Identity theft is already going on! It's gone on as far back in history as human kind. It's the consequences and circumstances that have changed.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1) Chip-a-chow

2) What's this doing in the Glurge Gallery?

buf 'glurge and religion overlap quite a bit, but still ...' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 87 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a good laugh with that first article, which I pity the person who takes serously. it was written in 2000, and claims the hell will break loose by Satan in 42 months, with the microchips and the hey-hey. If my math is right, that would've made it sometime last year.(2004 would be 48 months)

REALLY laughed my butt off about the bar codes somehow meaning "666". If the bar codes have 3 thin lines- 2 the the start, 2 at the middle and 2 at the end- wouldn't that make the number "222"? Even if you add the 2's up, that only makes one "6", Not "666".

While the chips help locating people sounds like an interesting idea, I can't see it as some manditory thing. First thing I thought of was "12 Monkeys", with that bar code tattooed on Bruce Willis's head. But really, info on a chip in a human? Do you realize how much you'd have to change the info? People move to new homes; they get new jobs, new bank accounts.

I thought about how neat that would be for me, as I take meds. People could just Zip! scan my meds in case of emergency. Then I remembered my meds keep changing. Does that mean I'd constantly have to have my arm operated on while they go digging for a rice sized implant in my arm, so they can update it? Would the update be free, or would I have to pay more for it?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
crb

Maybe they could scan you like they do at Penney's with the nifty little gun at the checkout? Then they could download without surgery.

If it works for keeping track of the panty inventory, surely it would work on us...

[fish]

crb

Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Revelation, the number of name of the beast is six-hundred-sixty-six, not six-six-six. That is, the letters in the name will add up to 666. Any interpretation of it as a series of sixes is false.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimbo

Originally posted by TrishDaDish

quote:
Does that mean I'd constantly have to have my arm operated on while they go digging for a rice sized implant in my arm, so they can update it? Would the update be free, or would I have to pay more for it?

If Microsoft has anything to do with it'll cost you an arm and a leg!

Ya, ya, I know [fish]

Jenny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenny   E-mail Jenny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rhiandmoi from the deep:
I have also heard that anyone who has a cell phone can be located within 50ft. So if big brother really wants to find you he can.

Only if you're dumb enough to carry a mobile phone around with you.
Posts: 67 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pandorable

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Priginally posted by Jenny:
Only if you're dumb enough to carry a mobile phone around with you.

What else would you do with it?
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Leave in your car, like I do.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Any broadcast signal can be located within a few metres using triangulation.

RFID (implanted chips) currently requires a transmitter placed close to the ID to be read, so RFID can't be used to track people.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrainDamage
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 603 posted      Profile for BrainDamage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Jinxed:
According to Revelation, the number of name of the beast is six-hundred-sixty-six, not six-six-six. That is, the letters in the name will add up to 666. Any interpretation of it as a series of sixes is false.

If you created a code where each letter is replaced with a number that is a multiple of 6, A=6, B=12, C=18, D=24 ... Z=156, then the letters in COMPUTER will add up to 666. Does that mean my computer is really the antichrist?
Posts: 146 | From: Orlando | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Allison
Tennessee Ernie Ford

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allison   E-mail Allison   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrainDamage:
If you created a code where each letter is replaced with a number that is a multiple of 6, A=6, B=12, C=18, D=24 ... Z=156, then the letters in COMPUTER will add up to 666. Does that mean my computer is really the antichrist?

ALL computers are the antichrist. Sort of like a hive-mind antichrist. Think Borg, only with more evil.

Alli "you will be assimilated" son

--------------------
If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
Anatole France

Posts: 1576 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wintermute
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have also heard that anyone who has a cell phone can be located within 50ft.

You are thinking of
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/wireless911srvc.html

With the new handsets that are GPS enabled it is down to about 1 meter.

Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Had a good laugh with that first article, which I pity the person who takes serously. it was written in 2000, and claims the hell will break loose by Satan in 42 months, with the microchips and the hey-hey. If my math is right, that would've made it sometime last year.(2004 would be 48 months)

REALLY laughed my butt off about the bar codes somehow meaning "666". If the bar codes have 3 thin lines- 2 the the start, 2 at the middle and 2 at the end- wouldn't that make the number "222"? Even if you add the 2's up, that only makes one "6", Not "666".

While the chips help locating people sounds like an interesting idea, I can't see it as some manditory thing. First thing I thought of was "12 Monkeys", with that bar code tattooed on Bruce Willis's head. But really, info on a chip in a human? Do you realize how much you'd have to change the info? People move to new homes; they get new jobs, new bank accounts.

I thought about how neat that would be for me, as I take meds. People could just Zip! scan my meds in case of emergency. Then I remembered my meds keep changing. Does that mean I'd constantly have to have my arm operated on while they go digging for a rice sized implant in my arm, so they can update it? Would the update be free, or would I have to pay more for it?

To be fair, the phrase is, "The Antichrist will do all of this for 42 months..." meaning that once the reign of Antichrist begins, it will last for 42 months (ie 3-1/2 years).

However, what really caught my eye was this;

quote:

Bar codes, such as these, have already appeared in some Midwestern stores. According to researchers: the F - is for FOREHEAD, and the H - is for HAND! And according to researchers, the purchaser must have a mark in their right hand or forehead before purchasing!

Appearing next to this passage is a barcode numbered 11110-09225 with the letters F and H below it.

I've seen this one in some other End-Times books, and it's a real laugh, because it's a complete and verifiable fake.

In Salem Kirban's Satan's Mark Exposed (AMG Publishers, 1978), on page 101, the exact same barcode appears.

Kirban writes:
quote:
All of us are familiar with the Universal Product Codes that appear on our food packages. They are a series of long vertical marks of various widths! However, the technology is already here to add another series of small lines at the bottom of each code... perhaps a 7, 8, 9 line series with an F (to stand for forehead) and an H (to stand for hand) on the back. A symbol similar to this has already appeared on fig bar packages in some Midwest supermarkets.
So, fiction is now quoted as fact. Sad, really.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thought of any microchip being implanted into an animal or human to use as a tracking device, or to code information, is one of the scariest things I know of.

I know many people put microchips in their pets. I have heard their reasons for this. But you will never ever convince me that it is a good thing or a good idea. What's worse is how so many people seem to accept it as being ethical or convenient, like the folks who posted above about not wanting to carry ID, or want to keep track of children and old people. It's dehumanizing.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
The thought of any microchip being implanted into an animal or human to use as a tracking device, or to code information, is one of the scariest things I know of.

I know many people put microchips in their pets. I have heard their reasons for this. But you will never ever convince me that it is a good thing or a good idea.

I'm not sure I understand why you object to microchipping pets. What reasons have people given you? Do they think the dog can be tracked like a car with Lojack? That's not how the chip works. It must be hand scanned with a scanner. All three of my dogs are microchipped.I had the chips inserted for their safety, and my piece of mind. See, we move more often then the average family. There are times that we may not have a home address. The chips are registered with a company who has my personal information, like my cell number and my mom's number. On the off chance any of my dogs were to get lost without a collar,perhaps while we were in transit, animal control could scan them and I would get them back. It's not a guarantee,no, but I consider it an extra safety net. Not only that, in order to take dogs into the UK without the 6 month quarantine, they must be microchipped.

Edited to fix a cut and paste accident.

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re:Updating the chip: I think the chip has a serial number which matches a serial number on an outside database. The information is not really on the chip, just the serial number which tells you where to look in the database.

I don't know how expensive the scanners or maintaing a database is, but I think it is interesting, and I would get one if they were offered for people. I personally don't have a problem with Big Brother knowing where I am all the time. I already shop almost exclusively with my debit or credit cards and I carry a cell phone.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The microchips in pets bother me personally, for moral and ethical reasons. There's probably no way I can explain it to you, other than I do not and will not ever find it acceptable. To me, a pet has the same value as a human being. Because I find it morally wrong to place an identifying microchip in a human being, I also find it morally wrong to place it in a dog or cat.

I'm not going to tell people not to do it, because that's pretty pointless. Like I said in my post, people who do it believe they have good reasons for it. And I can't really explain my reasons, other than I personally find it "wrong". This is not a point I want to get into an argument about, because neither side will be able to convince the other. Also, I don't have a strong argument for it except "I find it morally wrong". That is a good enough reason for me, but may not be good enough for other people. However, there are lots of technological and medical procedures I believe are "wrong", but I will not list them here because an all-out flame war will ensue.

quote:
I personally don't have a problem with Big Brother knowing where I am all the time.
This statement scares the living NFBSK out of me.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody's getting a microchip anywhere the hell near my dogs.
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate

quote:
The microchips in pets bother me personally, for moral and ethical reasons. There's probably no way I can explain it to you, other than I do not and will not ever find it acceptable. To me, a pet has the same value as a human being. Because I find it morally wrong to place an identifying microchip in a human being, I also find it morally wrong to place it in a dog or cat.

Well you're right..there's no way you can explain your position to me. I respect your feelings, and shall agree to disagree. I have one more thing to say on the matter, then I'll shut up. [Razz] I don't entirely disagree with you. I also feel that an animal has the same value as a human. However, unlike a human, animals cannot speak. If they get lost, they can't tell someone where they belong. By putting a microchip containing information that can get them back to me, I am protecting them. Because I value them as I would a human, I want to do everything I can to ensure their safety. They also wear collars with ID tags. Is that also morally wrong? They can neither object or consent to wearing collars, for the aforementioned lack of vocal skills. Again, I protecting them. My pets are like my children to me. I will take whatever means necessary to keep them safe.

--------------------
<---Callisto

R. Paul Unwin

quote:
quote:
I personally don't have a problem with Big Brother knowing where I am all the time.
This statement scares the living NFBSK out of me.
Why? I'm not trying argue the point, I just want to understand it.
24K_ Kate

Icon 505 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FYI, here is information on how a pet microchip works:

Microchip FAQ

--------------------
<---Callisto

Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That first website link sounds like typical Mary Stewart Relfe nonsense.

Mrs. Relfe is the Twilight Zone dweller who wrote two books in the early 1980s. The first one was WHEN YOUR MONEY FAILS: THE 666 SYSTEM IS HERE. She saw "666" in every aspect of the economy, even in floor tiles with 13666 as style number.

Her second book, THE NEW MONEY SYSTEM:666 attempted to unravel the Universal Product Code and "discover" the 666 number as its basis.

Whew!!

Rod Serling, eat your heart out!

Barbara

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gold Toes

quote:

I have one in my horse... As ethically wrong as it might seem, I know of several instances where chipped horses were stolen and recovered at the slaughterhouse, as slaughter inspectors now check for them. Seems like a better course of action than having him stolen and turned into burger for some european, really.

In any case, I just got the powerpoint presentation from a co-worker... I've been thinking about showing her my right hand and telling her that I was a test subject in the first round of chip implementation, as I have a conveniently located scar RIGHT where the ppt thing said it would be... heh.

Smart Arse
Ceylon Sailor

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Smart Arse         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes debunks "Mark of the Beast" hogwash

What really needs to be forwarded on to the credulous masses of conservative Christianity is Snopes' debunking of the Mondex nonsense. People believe some stupid things when someone ignorant tells them it's in the Bible. Why do people have to take Revelation so freaking literally?!! No serious Bible scholar actually subscribes to this horse crap popularized in various movies and books. This almost belongs in Rantidote, but I'm so fed up with the junk so many Christians will believe without checking the facts! [Mad]

--------------------
Smart "Tired of concocting clever middle names" Arse :D

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo Baggins

Posts: 152 | From: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Smart Arse,

You ask why so many Christians take Revelation literally. Well, for one they think that is the only way to interpret the whole Bible. Another reason is that they don't trust the symbolic, figurative hermeneutics (methods of interpretation) because someone can interpret the passage any way and make it say what they want it to say. (But that's exactly the way the literalist/futurist interprets it!!)

Futurists like Hal Lindsey and Tim LaHaye also take pleasure in the belief that Revelation predicts OUR future. For them, it's thrilling to be living in what they call the "last days." And they are thrilled to be part of the "terminal generation" that will live to see Jesus Christ come back to Earth literally and PHYSICALLY!! (Coming out of the sky riding astride a literal horse, no doubt!) HA! HA! HA! That's so funny! Some actually believe there are horses in "heaven"!

Real Twilight Zone crap! Right?

Rod Serling, eat your heart out!!

Barbara

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages