snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » Women have one extra rib then men do.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women have one extra rib then men do.
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 302 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was actually taught in 6th grade that women have an extra rib then men because Eve was made from Adams rib. This was a secular,public school by the way. Until more recently I learned that this isn't true. My mother swears it is. I can't convince her. Is there literature someplace that debunks this notion.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angela
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Angela   E-mail Angela   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/articles/skeleton/s_ribcage.shtml

"All humans have exactly twelve pairs of ribs at birth, despite the popular myth that women have one rib more than men."

I hope that worked right, cause I have no idea what I am doing.

--------------------
He looks like an ostrich on crack.

Good morning starshine. The earth says hello.

Posts: 125 | From: Louisiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 501 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a good page explaining it.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
I can't convince her.

Take off your shirt. Have her count your ribs and hers.

If you are female, have her count her and your father's ribs.

That ought to do it.

ULTRAGOTHA

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 204 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are amputations hereditary? Then why would a surgically removed rib be passed down? And why only to male offspring? This certainly doesn't work for circumcision.

--Grump "no bones about it" y

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
Are amputations hereditary? Then why would a surgically removed rib be passed down? And why only to male offspring? This certainly doesn't work for circumcision.

--Grump "no bones about it" y

In my experience, stories like this are meant to be supernatural reminders, as in, "God genetically designed the male ribcage to be the living legacy of the fact that women are bone of mens' bones and flesh of mens' flesh." I've heard that donkeys have a cross-shaped pattern on their backs as a legacy that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on one.

Digging deeper, the very definition of a "myth" is a story that explains how an earthly phenomenon came about by divine means. This sort of story has been going on since the dawn of religion.

-Grand "I want my baby's back ribs" Illusion

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unsocialannie

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...bet those donkeys had that cross pattern before Jesus ever came along. Some donkeys do have this, most wild burros do.
Grumpy

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
...Jesus rode into Jerusalem on one.

...Or two, according Matthew 21:7, "...they brought the donkey and the colt, and put their cloaks on them, and he sat on them." Circus-style, I imagine.

--Grump "ride 'em, Jesus!" y

Wizard of Yendor

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How can people believe this? That would mean that half the people (presumably the men) would have an odd number of ribs! It's just plain laughable. I could understand it if the myth was men having one less PAIR of ribs, but that wouldn't match the story.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unsocialannie:
...bet those donkeys had that cross pattern before Jesus ever came along. Some donkeys do have this, most wild burros do.

If I were God, if I wanted to do something like this, I would put a big shiny butt imprint on the back of all donkeys. Kills two birds...helps you remember how Jesus rode on one, and it explains why they're called "asses."

Drag, the "going home now" Magic Puffin

kate SPForks

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean I didn't need that rib-implant operation!?!?

kate 'worst $20 I ever spent' sporks

Schizm

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't the extra rib referred to, the 'floating rib?' Don't ask me what that means. I just always thought that the piece of anatomy in question wasn't a true rib but something that got labeled that way.
fyregirl
Xboxing Day

Icon 102 posted      Profile for fyregirl   E-mail fyregirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the Wizard of Yendor:
How can people believe this? That would mean that half the people (presumably the men) would have an odd number of ribs! It's just plain laughable. I could understand it if the myth was men having one less PAIR of ribs, but that wouldn't match the story.

Maybe that's the REAL reason Marylin Manson had one removed - he was tired of having an odd number.
[Smile]
Fyre"I'll take mine with slaw"girl

--------------------
And I never want to see your rodentish faces again!

Posts: 1215 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
many bells down

Icon 204 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"All humans have exactly twelve pairs of ribs at birth, despite the popular myth that women have one rib more than men."
Well ... maybe all normal humans ...

I have an extra pair of floating ribs - 13 pairs total. I also have two extra vertabrae (one lumbar & one sacral).

My other bizarre body parts are not for public consumption

many mutants down

put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kate: first time I've laughed outloud at a message board in months.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kate sporks

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
Kate: first time I've laughed outloud at a message board in months.

I don't owe you a new keyboard, do I?

kate 'no YOMANK?' sporks

put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope - luckily, I'd just swallowed.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages