snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » Ten Commandments at the Supreme Court?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ten Commandments at the Supreme Court?
brother john
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was recently a big discussion in the state of Alabama about the legality of posting the Ten Commandments (the ones from the Bible -- not the movie poster) in public courtrooms.

Is it true that the Ten Commandments are engraved on the wall of the building where the Supreme Court meets? I am sure that one of you "pronto researchers" knows this one. It will be interesting to see if this one is reality or rhetoric.

brother "i need two tablets" john

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume you are referring ot the US Supreme Court Building, not whatever building the Alabama Supreme court uses. Nothing on the Suspreme court Web site syas the ten commandments are depicted. According to a posting on talk.politics.misc
quote:

>:|The truth is, the Ten Commandments are depicted in mutiple places in the
>:|artwork adorning the Supreme Court Building.

Multiple?
Hmmmmmmm, the facts are:

There is one depiction showing Moses sitting, holding two blank stone tablets

There is one depiction showing Moses standing holding one stone tablet

There are two stone tablets depicted with Roman Numbers I-X carved in the oak doors

There is one depiction, above the Bench where Justices sit in the courtroom that shows one single tablet flanked by two male figures which represent "MAJESTY OF LAW" and "POWER OF GOVERNMENT" The tablet between them
symbolizes early written laws.

Here is a page that alleges the 10 commandments are all over the building.

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, they are displayed and I don't think it's illegal. However, they are being used as an example of early forms of law. Also displayed are such things as Hammurabi's code and the Magna Carta. It's not being used in a religious sense, so that in my mind is not objectionable in a public place.

Sister "fought the law" Ray

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My only objection to the carvings of tablets with Roman numerals on them is that some people (more than you'd think) invoke the sculpture as if it was legal precedent itself.

As for Alabama, the newly elected Chief Justice of the state Supreme Court is none other than Roy "Praise the Lord" Moore. This is the guy who -did- hang a wooden tablet with the 10 C's in his own courtroom. He was ordered to remove them, as they actually did contain specific phrases which would be at odds with the Bill of Rights, which are the only 10 Commandments a judge should be concerned with.

--Thou shalt not covet Grumpy's ass

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages