snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » We Met God and She is Black

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We Met God and She is Black
RainbowDragon
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mom told me once that an American astronaut(s) came back from space and announced “We met God and she is black.” Apparently this angered both sexist and racist people who envision God as a white male (a la Michelangelo)

Fact or Fiction?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiwibird

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have cites this time, only personal experience to share. I am a "space-age baby", born in 1953, sooo old that my grade-school used to play launches over the PA system for us so we could pray for the astronauts. I remember all sorts of things from all the launches, and I don't remember this one at all.

I do remember a joke that's been around for years, at least 35 or so..
It seems a man went to Heaven and returned to earth to tell about it.

"What was God like?" people asked.

"Tell us about Him."

"Yes, yes, tell us about Him," others echoed, as the man seemed to hesitate.

"Well ..." the man responded, slowly, "... first of all, she's black ..."

My brother-in-law was a NASA engineer and contractor for years, so if you really want me to ask him about this one, I will, but it really does seem to derive from the joke.

------------------
Kiwibird
It's the bird, not the fruit!
The Kiwi Bird Page

Aart

I think that God in his wisdom made his appearance for all of us as familiar as we need to accept Him.

But at my age I still have difficulties to belief, maybe that is why I became a buddhist, because buddism is not a real religion with supernatural gods or ghosts.

But even Thomas cam to believe, so maybe there is still hope for me.

Cynestria
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aart:
because buddism is not a real religion

*raises an eyebrow* I really have no idea how to even respond to that.

Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JK Will

Ah buddhism, buddhism buddhism. like Xianity comes in many forms. Tantric buddhism is a religion, but zen is not really....

I sometimes wonder what kind of expressions we'd be using if the west was Buddhist...

"Gautama Buddha what did you do that for?"

"Boddhisitva! I'm in seventh nirvana!"

"Oh my Gautama! Golly Bugg!"

JK "I'm not going to do the Islamic version for risk of fatwa!" Will

KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This joke was done once on 'WKRP In Cincinatti'. It's the episode where Johnny Fever thinks he has heard the voice of God telling him to become a golf pro. He asks Bailey if she believes in a 'Supreme being', she says she does, and adds 'first of all, she's black'. I think the joke may have been a play on the word 'Supreme', referring to Diana Ross and the Supremes, who are black females (in case you didn't know).

David "Stop this thread, in the name of love!" Anderson

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tony

Completely OT, but this thread gives me a chance to tell a joke I heard yesterday.

A buddhist walks up to a hot dog vendor and says, "Make me one with everything."

Tony "Buddhist Monkey" DiTola

jg

And her name is Kali-ma...

jg...my wife is working on her skull necklace and arm belt as I type

Fusca 1976
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Fusca 1976   E-mail Fusca 1976   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tony:
Completely OT, but this thread gives me a chance to tell a joke I heard yesterday.

Another joke, perhaps not that much OT:

The Three Secrets of Fatima:

First: God really exists! (Ooooooooooooohhh!)

Second: But only atheists and agnostics go to heaven... (Aaaaaahhhhhhh! And why?)

Because of the third: God loathes cajolers...

Luís "That's why they don't tell us them" Henrique

Posts: 4498 | From: Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiwibird

quote:
Originally posted by Tony:

A buddhist walks up to a hot dog vendor and says, "Make me one with everything."

When I first heard that one, it was a Zen Master, not a Buddhist. Here's a newer version. Tell as above, but have the guy hand the hot dog vendor a $10 bill. The vendor takes it, and the purchaser stands there and waits and waits. He says, "Where's my change?" The vendor gets a big, blissful smile and says, "Change must come from within".

------------------
Kiwibird
It's the bird, not the fruit!
The Kiwi Bird Page

huginn

quote:
Originally posted by Cynestria:
(about Buddhism not being a "real religion")
*raises an eyebrow* I really have no idea how to even respond to that.

What I think Aart was referring to is that certain Buddhist sects, such as Zen, are similar to Confucianism and Taoism in that they revolve around a set of teachings and/or a legendary teacher rather than an actual deity, like Western religions tend to. Buddhism is derived from Hinduism and shares a version of its pantheon, but many Buddhist sects regard the Hindu gods and demigods the same way most Westerners regard the Roman and Greek--not actually extant, but symbolically important. Also, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism and Shinto don't really share the aspect of exclusivity that characterizes Western monotheism; it's not at all unusual for an individual to practice many or all of these, and Christian missionaries in these countries are sometimes frustrated that their converts practice Christianity in addition to their previous religious convictions.

And, just as an obscure piece of trivia for JK Will: The phrase "seventh heaven" you referred to actually refers to the traditional Islamic concept of an afterlife. This involves seven layers or levels of Heaven (generally referred to as the "seven heavens"), of which the seventh is the highest and most blissful.

Hug"banned from bible study"inn

ISNorden

Greetings, Huginn!

When I was a linguistics student in college, one of our reading assignments was a satirical article which included a twist on the "meeting a black God" UL. The author wrote as if the English language classified people mainly by race instead of gender: "white" used generically for all people, pronouns such as "whe" and "ble", courtesy titles based on whether or not someone had a job (rather than a husband).

Relevant quotes: "Who is the main character in the Bible? I should not need to remind you; it is God. As everyone knows, Whe is white and male..." The twisted UL appears shortly afterwards, when the author tells about a "comedioon" who offended white audiences with a joke about "I have seen God--and Ble's female!" :-P

P.S. Sorry to veer off-topic, but...I couldn't help noticing your very Norse screen name. You wouldn't happen to be Asatru, would you? (If you are, I'd love to correspond with you privately! :-) )

Ingeborg "oh my gods!" Nordén

Cynestria
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by huginn:
[BChristian missionaries in these countries are sometimes frustrated that their converts practice Christianity in addition to their previous religious convictions.[/B]

Which would imply that they were religions. My dictionary defines religion as "a system of faith", which really doesn't require a deity. That's what I was getting at. It all depends on how you define it.

Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages