snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » 2005 US Nickels has a buffalo's dick?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2005 US Nickels has a buffalo's dick?
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
On the US 2005 nickels, the tails end shows a buffalo and looks to show off a penis?

-

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I dont know much about buffalo but wouldn't it be farther back?

Regardless, I really dont see why we need to take our puritanical fear of anything sexual over to animals. The big bronze bull over in NYC has a nice big pair of balls on it, and I dont see too much action to censor that, I say (if this is even true) then go for it.

But somehow I doubt it

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I used to have earrings cut from buffalo nickels. One was the indian head and the other side was the buffalo. The buffalo was not gelded.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't think it is the penis. Don't bulls and buffalo's have a tuft of hair around there?

Also I would expect a buffalo's penis to be much larger than shown on the coin.
Kim "but then what do I know about dick"

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yes, it's the buffalo's penis.

No, it's right where it's supposed to be.

Yes, bovine males have a tuft of hair there. It covers the penis.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bozone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bozone   E-mail Bozone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think the proper term would be sheath. The penis extends out of it. I assume many of you have seen dogs, it's similar to that. It's a flap of skin, and it is hairy like the rest of the hide, with a tuft of hair at the end. So the nickel is not showing an aroused bull.

Incidently, it would look the same if he were gelded, since that refers to balls, not penis. If the penis were cut off, he would be a gomer bull. It would still look the same, though, because the penis retracts into the sheath.

One of the methods of determining when cows are in heat, if you are AI'ing cattle, is to put a gomer bull out with them. He's still intact, so has all the urges. He mounts cows in heat to mark them, but the penis is too short to penetrate, so he can't impregnate them. Then you bring the marked cows in to AI them.

Posts: 110 | From: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Spanked by Bozone! The penis sheath you see on the buffalo is indeed like a dog's - I'm sure everyone has seen a male dog expose his "lipstick" when he sits down or gets excited. When he's in a normal state his penis is inside him and covered by the skin of the sheath, with a tuft of hair at the end (I assume the hair functions much like our pubic hair in keeping dirt out of the genitals). The buffalo on the nickel is not in any state of arousal, but he is indeed male.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Original Buffalo nickels (1913-1937) had the same image, with the same questions. [Wink]

Ca "Nuismatically inclined" sey

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Speaker for the Dead
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Speaker for the Dead   E-mail Speaker for the Dead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
For what it's worth, all of the signs with buffalo on them in Saskatoon also have a penis. The signs are used to guide people to an Aboriginal tourist site outside of town.
Posts: 148 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The logo for Wyoming's State Parks and Historic Sites is also an anatomically correct bison. I guess I'm so used to seeing it that it would seem wrong for it to be portrayed any other way.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Buff-a-chow
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages