snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » Gay men and earrings (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gay men and earrings
Laura
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that too. Never sure if it was left or right though.

When i was on holiday in Tunisia, i was told by different men that if you wore a flower behind one ear you were single and the other ear meant you were taken. Can't remember which was which in that case either.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid I thought I heard, "left is right and right is wrong." That mean that gay men wore earrings in their right ear. Like BeachLife though I never had any reason to believe that it was actually true.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard it as well - right is "right, and left is "gay.

In my experience, with lots of friends in both camps - if you have an earring - all it means is that you have a hole in your ear.

Cervus - ya know what having a wallet in your right back pocket means? You are damn hard to purse snatch. [lol] You might sleep with boys OR girls, OR both, but if I get your purse, I won't get your money...

And besides, it doesn't match ANYthing I am wearing! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brian O'blivion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian O'blivion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it was ever codified like the bandana thing. Back around 1979, 1980 when I got one, I heard 'left is gay' and 'right is gay'. Back then, though, especially in much more conservative than it is now Orange County, California, either was code for 'damn freak'.

I worked at a record store with some other people who were in punk bands and kids would point to one of us and yell out "Mommy! That man has an earring!!"

Funny now when I see all these kids with multiple peircings and tattoos. You kids don't know how easy you got it nowadays! And get off my lawn!

Brian 'we used to have to walk fifteen miles to get blue hair dye' O'blivion

Posts: 307 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Canuck
What's My Lime?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Canuck   E-mail Dark Canuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian O'blivion:

Up both sides of the hill, through 10 feet of snow, right?

From what I've read on BME (Yes, I hate the bias too, but it makes for some good reads) it used to be left-ear gay, right-ear straight for the most part. Now, it doesn't really matter. I've seen people with 10-15 piercings in each ear, and several facial piercings hold respectable jobs, and not get any weird looks. I'd like to see someone like that get anywhere in life even 10 years ago. (Although it's still pretty damn hard to get anywhere in life, let alone with any sort of piercing...)

--------------------
MSN- darkcanuck@gmail.com
AIM- dark-canuck@mac.com

Posts: 132 | From: Alberta | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fordo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordo   E-mail Fordo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had always heard left=straight, right=gay.

Fordo

Posts: 295 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rotten little boys

Twelve years ago when I met Dh, I peireced his left ear. Six months later I piereced his right. A few weeks later, I placed a band on his left hand ring finger. Everyone could read that signal.

[Big Grin]

diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall reading about his in my communication book back in college a few years ago. It was headed under "non-verbal communication". I laughed out loud almost simply becasue it sounded so stupid and oudated - expecially today.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Cer "I've apparently been a lesbian for years" vus

Crud! Me too!

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this one too growing up - but can't remember if it was the right or left or merely having an earing which was the signifier of one's gayness.

I doubt any such code ever existed outside of a means to make recently-pierced heterosexual men utterly paranoid.

I bet that's also how the GAP rumour began: "Yeah man, that's a cool top...but you do know that GAP stands for "Gay And Proud" don't you?"

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sapient Homo
TR7 Bridges Road

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapient Homo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's immaterial these days. Nobody bothers anymore. Once upon a time it was left for straight right for gay. These days with the inrease in body piercing it's usually other pierings, most prominently eyebrows, following that pattern.

--------------------
"Actually I thought we were going to do fine yesterday. Shows what I know."

George Bush after the Midterms

Posts: 165 | From: Margate, Kent, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that was one of those things that was regional. I recall this discussion online back in about '96 and everyone had a different answer there, too.

The bandana code was much more entertaining, and if you caught the online guides, you got to look at a lot of males from the waist down. [Smile]

I don't think it ever much mattered. People generally are attracted to people of the same orientation, is my hunch. Though, I was once hit on by a lesbian, many many years ago. Funny, I don't recall ever being hit on by a gay guy. [Smile]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ovalescent:
quote:

Crud! Me too!
Guess you'll have to add me to the list as well. I never carry a purse and always keep my wallet in my right back pocket (except for when I wear a dress then I keep my money, id, keys in a zippered pocket in my slip).

I remember hearing one ear was for straights the other for gays but I don't remember which was which. While I have both my ears periced I only have a "permenate" (its been there since the early 90s and the only way its coming out is if someone cuts it off my cold dead body... but most people don't even realize its there since it looks like little more than a staple around my earlobe) earring in the left ear. Is that really a secret sign that I'm gay? Hmm... so that explains why I don't have a date for Friday night. No, wait it doesn't! Why would women not find me attractive.... now I'm hurt.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
When i was on holiday in Tunisia, i was told by different men that if you wore a flower behind one ear you were single and the other ear meant you were taken. Can't remember which was which in that case either.

I was told the same thing in Hawaii.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hound Of The Binkervilles

Okay, another one. I've heard that if a married woman wears an ankle bracelet it means she's looking for an affair. Anyone else heard that?
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Of The Binkervilles:
Okay, another one. I've heard that if a married woman wears an ankle bracelet it means she's looking for an affair.

Particularly if her husband purchased the ankle bracelet. [Wink]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Of The Binkervilles:
Okay, another one. I've heard that if a married woman wears an ankle bracelet it means she's looking for an affair. Anyone else heard that?

I've never heard that but I occasionaly wear a braided/beaded cord around my ankle. It fans out over the top of my foot and attaches to my toe (I hardly ever wear shoes except for when they are required by law and the rule is enforced). I've been told on several occasions that the "foot wear" makes me look like a lesbian. Are there really that many lesbians walking around barefooted with cords tied around their ankles and toes?

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hound Of The Binkervilles

[QUOTE Are there really that many lesbians walking around barefooted with cords tied around their ankles and toes? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Well, that depends on which clubs they go to [Smile]

ranran yousei

quote:
Originally posted by Brian O'blivion:

[lol] [lol] [lol]

So true.....

Anyway, regarding the OP:

The fact that rumour existed is true. That's where it ends.

One of the things that makes it ULish is that no one could remember exactly which ear was which, even when the rumour was popular. Which ear it was depended on who was telling the rumour.

Another thing that makes it ULish, is only straight people believed it.

Growing up in the 80's (ok, my teens were in the 80's), many of my parents' friends were gay (not to stereotype, but that's what happens when you live in the L.A. art world, majority of the men are gay), and none of them used the earring "signal". Any of them that actually had an earring, either had both ears pierced, or it was either left or right that was pierced. There was no set pattern (yes, I paid attention, and even asked about the rumour, since I was sick of hearing it, and watching male friends teased for having a pierced ear). Hell, my dad has his left ear pierced, so does my husband (both done in the 80's).

I've never heard the ankle bracelet one, sounds like wishful thinking to me. I wear an ankle bracelet because I think they're pretty (and I especially like the ones with bells on them). I'm married, and certainly not looking for an affair. Even knowing this rumour exists won't stop me from wearing them... juvenile peer pressure doesn't appeal to me. If I were looking for an affair, the man I wanted would have no doubts in his mind what my intentions were.

Both of these rumours remind me of this.

I really rather thought such ideas ended with highschool... guess I was wrong.....

Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had my (right) ear pierced in the Mid-80's, and wearing the earring in school I was told "you know that that is supposed to show that you're gay?". When I went to Scotland on an exchange program, my colleges wearing their earring in the left ear were asked the same, whereas my earring suddenly was on the "right" (read: straight) side...

As stated before, it were only non-gays that "knew" these facts - I've never been approached by any gay man on the basis of where I wear my earring.

edited for typo: german "ist" for english "is"

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed - another cultural ident assigned to the gay community by people who want to foreground themselves as 'normal' by highlighting bizarre 'rituals' such as the ear-ring thang, although I must admit I thought this was another example you could put down to the minds of children...all references to the ear-ring/gay UL dried up for me at age 12.

Interestingly, when I had my nose pierced in '93 people were always trying to invest significance into the fact I had it done in a particular nostril. Perhaps if I were Hindu... [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

my Aunt told my sister that wearing an ankle bracelet means that you're a prostitute. I thought that was rather rude. I don't wear them often as i don't wear skirts/dresses. Still, i do like the look of them.
LtColCarter
Raiders of the Lost Shark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtColCarter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in California, a large percentage of women wear ankle bracelets, including my 73-year-old mother, so I don't think any of those UL's apply. (Mom is too cool for school, though, and also wears a toe ring, and capri pants with sandals even in the winter, so she can show off her ankles and toes!)

--------------------
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu

Posts: 1544 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was a David Sedaris book where the author highlights someone's trashiness/unfitness as a mom by mentioning an ankle bracelet.

I wore one a lot this summer, a delicate silver chain with a tiny diamante heart. I remember always making a point of wearing it when I dressed up because I felt that the primness of the round-toe high heeled Mary Janes and an a-line skirt made it look like real jewelry. First time I can recall dressing up an accessory with an outfit. Does that make sense?

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StratoGal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StratoGal   E-mail StratoGal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
quote:
Originally posted by Ovalescent:
quote:

Crud! Me too!
Guess you'll have to add me to the list as well.
I guess I have to join the "wallet-in-the-right-hip-pocket" crowd...I just like it there...never been hit on though because of it...maybe 'cause it makes my arse look bigger??? [Wink]
Posts: 140 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CatPurrson

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatPurrson   E-mail CatPurrson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the whole gay/straight ear piercing thing. The version I heard was left=straight, right=gay, except supposedly in Great Britain and surrounds, it was reversed. So if you saw a British singer, it was okay if he had his right ear pierced.

I remember reading a book a few years ago and they said something about how you could tell someone was a lesbian because they had multiple ear piercings. WTF?? I've had four holes in each ear (the "unnatural" kind) since I was in like the 8th grade! Gosh, maybe that's why I never got asked to the prom! [Roll Eyes]

I think it's just a case of homophobes wanting to announce to the "gay world" that they're unavailable, and to proclaim to all the straight guys how straight they are.

I remember a guy in high school forbade his girlfriend from wearing an ankle bracelet b/c he said that it meant you were a slut. I started wearing one just to annoy him. Heck, I just think they're pretty! I *have* heard that which ankle you wear it on lets people know your relationship status. Supposedly left ankle=taken, and right ankle=available. So if you wear one on both ankles, does that equal swinger? LOL... [lol]

CatPurrson

--------------------
People who hate cats may have been rats in a previous life.

Posts: 114 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sans Heart

This is something that started as an urban legend that became true. Not so much as a signal to possible mates, but to the world. All I can offer for proof is many accounts of gay men I know with one ear pierced.

The fad seems to be dying out, though.

LarrySDonald
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LarrySDonald   E-mail LarrySDonald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most "covert sexuallity" codes are about as real as the community they are in. If enough of the people involved belive in them, they're real. Though piercings to express a certain preference never seems to have gathered enough momentum to be universally recognized, they do seem to have enjoyed some popularity. I don't think theres a simple answer to what ear(s) or where; these things are very fickle. If one, the other or both is recognized in an area, then that would be plenty.

Bandanas (the hanky code, as it's often called) is certainly alive and well. What colors or objects are recognized as what differ by area or social circle. In my area, showing a house key in one pocket is sometimes used to signify having a place (as in private place where one might take potential pick-ups), the other not having one or needing one. A car key is similar for cars, though can sometimes mean wanting sex in cars. These (as well as all the hanky colors) aren't really used in everyday settings so much, it's more of a thing used in bars, parks known to be pickup spots, etc. It's not ment to be subtle or hidden from "normies", just a quick way to visually determine who likes what to eliminate those that simply wouldn't work so well.

Posts: 48 | From: Southern Kansas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monroe

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget the way you wear you claddgh ring also says something.

Traditionally, the rings can be worn in three different manners, all declaring a different status in the quest for love. When worn on the right hand with the heart facing outward toward the nail, the ring signifies one whose heart is free. When the heart is facing inward, toward the knuckle of the right hand, it indicates that the heart is no longer available. And finally, if the ring is to appear upon the left hand, it traditionally means that love has been plighted.

Then I also heard that men walking with women in Mexico should walk on the outside (by the street) and the woman by the buildings or she will be thought to be a prostitute.

martin-at-work

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martin-at-work   E-mail martin-at-work   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In The Land Down Under way back in the 80s, left ear was straight, right ear was gay.
Posts: 183 | From: Brisbane, Oz. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monroe:
Don't forget the way you wear you claddgh ring also says something.

Traditionally, the rings can be worn in three different manners, all declaring a different status in the quest for love. When worn on the right hand with the heart facing outward toward the nail, the ring signifies one whose heart is free. When the heart is facing inward, toward the knuckle of the right hand, it indicates that the heart is no longer available. And finally, if the ring is to appear upon the left hand, it traditionally means that love has been plighted.

Then I also heard that men walking with women in Mexico should walk on the outside (by the street) and the woman by the buildings or she will be thought to be a prostitute.

I heard that was a European thing, because in the old days before plumbing and garbage trucks people would throw filthy things out of their windows. So the person walking closer to the building would be under eves and rain gutters but the person on the outside would be more likely to be splashed. So a gentle man would take the outside, unless walking with a prostitute, whom he wouldn't care about.
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly enough, I heard which ankle a woman wears an anklet on signifies sexual orientation. Not surprisingly, nobody seemed to know which ankle meant "straight" and which meant "lesbian."

If the earring rumor is true, does that mean a guy with both ears pierced is bisexual?

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HazelPhoenix
TR7 Bridges Road

Icon 15 posted      Profile for HazelPhoenix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha ... hahahaha ... my dad actually sometimes wears an earring -- just a stud earring, mind, not an earRING per se -- in his left ear, I believe. I remember back in ... second grade? when I told somebody this, and they said, "Well, that means your dad is gay." [lol] He's not, of course.

I think the "earring in this ear = gay" thing's bull (at least nowadays) considering that judging by this thread there isn't exactly any universal code . . . I can just imagine, all these poor ear-pierced guys walkin' around with no idea they're gay. [Razz]

quote:
If the earring rumor is true, does that mean a guy with both ears pierced is bisexual?
A guy I know that I have a little crush on is bi, and neither of his ears are pierced, s'far as I know. [Wink]

Hazel"ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, banana ... ... ... ... phone"Phoenix

--------------------
"The question is not who is going to let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand

Posts: 145 | From: Southeastern Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Young man as an artist

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monroe:

Then I also heard that men walking with women in Mexico should walk on the outside (by the street) and the woman by the buildings or she will be thought to be a prostitute. [/QB]

It is not that way, the man walks by the street here in Mexico as a rule of etiquette, because there were a lot of narrow streets in the past, so the man protected the woman from the cars, maybe from things thrown from inside the cars or water splashed from the floor when it rains... Few are the gentlemen who make this nowadays.

About the UL of the meaning of one earring, I heard in the 80's that it was on the right ear in the USA and on the left ear in Europe, or something like that.

And there were one more ridiculous, that the gays wore green on thursday, I had classmates in High School who avoided this color these days fearing that people thougt they were gays.

[Roll Eyes]

GranolaSuicideSpawn2

In the 70s in my area, RIGHT was gay and left was straight. We heard the bandana thing too.

Many of these things were just a way to label some clueless bastard "gay" who you didn't like and who happened to pierce the other side than you did or WHATEVER he happened to do one day that was slightly different than what you did. Kids could find ANY excuse to label someone gay then; and invariably it was someone they just didn't like. Poor kid would come in wearing whatever cool thing the other kids were, but the way HE (or she) wore it was GAY! Gay gay gay! You laced your shoes from under instead of over? GAY! Yep, gay people do that as a sign, yep. Your sneaker has 4 diagonal stripes instead of three? GAY!

Kids are rotten.

I personally pierced several guys' ears - and because the right was "gay" we of course pierced the left. Prior to piercing we naturally polled all the other kids to make sure we had it right...I had heard it changed in the 90s though. Guess it never meant anything [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages