snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » Having a period and wanting to clean

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having a period and wanting to clean
Frenchy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it me, is it a UL or is it normal to want to clean like crazy shortly before/as a new period starts?

I have witnessed this in many of my female friends. They all say they have a strong urge to 'clean the nest' as their period is due or they have a period. I can understand that having a period requires to be 'clean' and so, washing oneself is essential during that time (like it's not always!) but why clean the rest of the house?

If I have a period, I feel like buying bleech and go through the whole house, getting all pictures off the wall and cleaning them in details, vacuuming, washing the toilet, regrouting the whole bathroom while I'm at it. [Roll Eyes]

Where does that weirdness comes from?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can assure you, my wife has never had that problem. And it doesn't seem like it's affecting my daughter, either.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know exactly what you're talking about! I tend to do this on Saturdays right before my period, plus I'm a little obsessive-compulsive, so this in combination with hormones equals steralized stove knobs and sparkling clean foot boards.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

I am not a doctor, so can't say for sure, but it sounds as if the increased hormone levels are kicking in your nesting instinct, which normally occurs just prior to labor, in pregnant women.

Why? I have no clue, especially as I can't even say that the above it definitely the case. I haven't experienced that, except with pregnancy, so can't say whether it "feels" the same, or not.

~Diz

DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 15 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm normally too headachy to do anything like that. [Frown]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I get other urges when I got close to my period, but cleaning was never one of them *grins*

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never gotten urges to clean, lazy girl that I am but I often find myself keen to bake a cake/some cookies once a month.

Shame I'm not as keen on eating them...

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Galaxina

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I totally have the instinct to clean, clean, CLEAN the house before and during the first few days of that special time of the month. My husband can attest to the fact that I can be a cleaning fanatic and that nothing is ever clean enough!

I also must ask this because I wonder if anyone else has this: before your period, does anyone get huge cravings for milk, cheese, or other dairy products? I know that I could down a load of dairy if I cared to...

I need to clean our house up. Wish my period were coming...

Galaxina

Friend of a Frog

?Who are these strange creatures to which I find myself attracted?
Allison
Tennessee Ernie Ford

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allison   E-mail Allison   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I pretty much HAVE to clean the house right before my time, what with the killing of all those people who piss me off while I'm PMS'ing.

[Big Grin]

Alli "kidding!" son

--------------------
If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
Anatole France

Posts: 1576 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dramaqueen872005
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dramaqueen872005   E-mail dramaqueen872005   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad is jumping on me to clean my room. I want to tell him, not while I'm on my period! Geez. I hate cleaning my room anyways, but especially not while I'm all ick-feeling.

drama queen

--------------------
"I'm Jimmy Joe Dean," he said, "Sort of like James Dean, but with a Texas twist"
"Yeah," Brent muttered. "The original Rebel Without a Brain."
~Drive me Wild, Julie Ortolon

Posts: 444 | From: Round Rock/San Angelo, TX | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kimberly Blue

Yep. And not just my own house. My friends love it when it's that time because I will clean their houses and organize their lives for them. I've been known to abandon my regular duties at work and start scrubbing anything I can get my hands on. It is a bit bizzare. It's the only time I win the battle with my inner pack-rat. [Wink]

I am the only person I know who experiences this though...

Deciduousblonde

Nope...all I want to do when due/on my period is stab my SO in the neck [Mad] although he probably hates me too! however, I do feel like washing more often as nothing about my appearance seems to look nice during that time.

Deciduous'it's now that time'blonde

Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, never had a cleaning instinct. Qute the opposite; I just wanted to stay in bed until the migraine went away.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pyg Me

My wife's grandfather (from the hills of West Virginia) would not let her and her sister into the cucumber patch when they were on their period.
STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My ex-wife wanted to do two things equally when she was on her period. One was clean and the other was bitch at me. She did both very effectively.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alyssa 'devours all' Jones37

i lived with a girl for a year, who was a messy little beast, until her period was due. Like clockwork the house would be cleaned from top to bottom.
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
My ex-wife wanted to do two things equally when she was on her period. One was clean and the other was bitch at me. She did both very effectively.

Whatever gave you the idea that they were mutually exclusive terms!?! [lol]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy

So, it seems that not everyone gets it, but some do... Is it associated with PMS then? (I feel like doing nothing when it's there myself, but a few days before, it's like clockwork -and I usually KNOW a period is due without even counting the days).
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think so. I also have a terribly creative urge that lasts just long enough to get all the messyplay stuff out...but not long enough to produce anything. Unfortunately, this comes AFTER the cleaning urge, so..well, it's not unknown for buckets of mosaic chips / paint supplies / mountains of fabric scraps to sit gathering dust for..oh, 28 days [fish]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes...mostly it's just showers. I want to take showers all the time (and I don't want to blow dry my hair, so I end up braiding it a lot).

And eating salt. On everything. In large quantities. I don't eat particularly salty foods, I just add lots of salt to what I normally eat.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 206 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I'm dating someone and we begin having sex is when I begin cooking like crazy, especially large pots of food, and cleaning. I refer to this as nesting. I don't know why having sex triggers it, but it continues along up til the point that I'm no longer having sex. So, I'm much more suzy homemakey when I'm getting some on a regular basis.

I had a panhysterectomy, so maybe that screwed me around a bit. Though, I do cycle, like clockwork, every 28 days. It's evident because I begin craving salt and chocolate. I didn't realize this until I worked with a girl that is apparently on the same cycle as me. One or the other of us would come traipsing to our desk with salt and chocolate, just as the other was craving it and ready to go get some. It was really funny to me to realize that the timer is still there, even though the oven's been moved out.

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I got cleaning urges. [Frown] Then maybe my room would be a little neater. Instead I just want to lie in bed and eat chocolate.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy

I feel it's VERY compulsive as well (not the kind of 'tidying up' I normally do, where it just 'looks' good, but please! don't open cupboard). [lol]
Here, I'm not fooling anyone and I truly want everything to be clean, so it's not uncommon for me to 'find' spots that will require attendance (behind the fridge, the toilets, inside cupboards in the kitchen, etc...) Hence regrouting the bathroom would also come to mind... Or changing the vaccum's bag, or repoting flowers....anything that WILL look neat and tidy once it's done.

I feel satisfied once it's all done, and I can relax (and fully enjoy my stomach ache). [Smile]

DizzyLizard

I'm actually getting a bit jealous, reading this thread. My house could really use a good, deep down cleaning every month! As it stands, I am almost always battling against a constant lack of motivation, as far as housework is concerned. I wasn't always like this.

~Diz

evilbeth

quote:
Originally posted by Galaxina:
I also must ask this because I wonder if anyone else has this: before your period, does anyone get huge cravings for milk, cheese, or other dairy products? I know that I could down a load of dairy if I cared to...

I always know when I am ovulating because I must have CHEESE! I want cheese on everything.
Galaxina

For me it's creme cheese, creme fraiche, ice cream, or sour cream! Hell, just stick me in the dairy department!
DawnStorm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My appetite shoots through the roof during Period Week and right before and during, my teeth are really sensitive. I learned the hard way to NEVER have dental work done during that week. [Frown]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-Gator:
I can assure you, my wife has never had that problem. And it doesn't seem like it's affecting my daughter, either.

Pogue

My wife dosn't clean when she has hers either.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never get the urge to clean, except for cleaning myself down there more often. When i'm PMSing or on my period I either get bitchy, bloated and crampy, or I get really horny, like I'm in heat. (Sorry, TMI)

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Heavy B
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heavy B   E-mail Heavy B   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
My wife dosn't clean when she has hers either.

Mine does if she knows what's good for her.

[lol] Just Kidding, Just Kidding!

Actually reading this thread is very interesting. I'm seeing a bit of my wife in most of these threads (not the cleaning ones, she doesn't do that). The chocolate thing for sure and the horny-ness. What is up with that? Apparently it isn't that uncommon, but that's one I just don't get. You feel icky but you want to shag? [Confused]

--------------------
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Posts: 801 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You feel icky but you want to shag?
Doesn't it make you feel good when you do? Why would you think it would make me feel any different?

Besides, it's healthier than eating pint after pint of Ben & Jerry's.

Four Five Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
**cue the oddly comforting voiceover and primative graphics**
*Beep*
From the time a woman ovulates until her period, levels of the hormone progestin build up in her body.
*beep*
This triggers the lining of the uterus to grow. If fertilization occurs the amount of circulaing progestin increases, the lining contiues to grow, and the embryo has a place to attach.
*Beep*
If fertilization does not occur the progestin abruptly stops. The blood flow to the lining of the uterus is cut off causing the lining to slough off. This, of course, is menstration.
*beep*

I'm nostalgic for film strips today, sue me.

So I think progestin is the instigator here. Since it's an important part of being pregnant and is present in greater amounts between ovulation and menstration I think it might be what causes this nesting instince in women.

I wonder if being on the pill effects this?

I know I'll feel mysteriously bitchy and sluggish for a few days. I'll have one incredible day of cleaning, creativity, ice cream, and horniness. Then through the actual bleeding part I usually feel OK if a little crampy. I'm not the poster girl for normal hormoes so YMMV.

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy

quote:
I wonder if being on the pill effects this?
Nope, always had it. Off it, on it, I clean... [lol]
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yeah, I clean.

Right before my period, as I'm at my bitchiest and I want to kill my husband, and sell my daughter to the gypsies (like my dad always says he's done with my mom when I call home and he answers the phone, LOL).

Of course, my husband goes into hiding, except for when he figures out that I'm also horny as hell, too. Then he magically appears.....gee, dear, if you don't help me with the cleaning what the hell makes you think you're gonna get lucky?

Once my period starts though, forget it. I just want to crawl under my rock with a heating pad, some Midol, chocolate, and sweats until it all goes away.

Horror...the horror.....

Ms. 'the joys of being a woman....eccch'

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages