snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » Hutterite Stud Service

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hutterite Stud Service
GrumbleGriff
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 103 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello from Calgary

I thought I'd jump into the deep end here and ask all about a long standing 'urban' legend here in Western Canada. For generations, there has been long established religious colonies here i.e. the Hutterite/ Mennonite Brethren from Russia, escaping persecution. They began in Canada and have since branched out into the American Prairie provinces.

Some of the self-subsisting communities are unusually remote and shun outside influence. Over the decades some of the communities have become so isolated they suffer a thinning gene pool. So, what they have done (according to myth)is hire local high school football/basketball teams to travel to the colonies and, well, act as a stud service.

Everyone has heard this tale, half insist it is true. Has anybody else heard of this unique AI service?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StarlandVocalBand

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumbleGriff:
Some of the self-subsisting communities are unusually remote and shun outside influence. Over the decades some of the communities have become so isolated they suffer a thinning gene pool.

Interesting, and given that the Hutterites are well known for their expertise in breeding farm animals--and for the number of serious birth defects (Bowen-Hutterite syndrome, neural tube defects) that appear in their populations, one can see where the UL might come from.

quote:
So, what they have done (according to myth)is hire local high school football/basketball teams
Non-Hutterites? That seems incredibly far-fetched, given the Hutterites' strong group identity.

quote:
to travel to the colonies and, well, act as a stud service.

Everyone has heard this tale, half insist it is true. Has anybody else heard of this unique AI service?

AI? Or the regular old-fashioned way?

In any case, I think that these legendeers are confusing the Hutterite's courtship rituals, in which couples may meet only once or twice before marriage, with something much racier.

To quote a geneticist who's been studying the Hutterites for many years:

quote:
In many ways, Hutterites are the perfect study group for "natural" mate choice among humans. They are a socially isolated group who work on communal farms, marry within their own community, and can trace their roots back to a handful of European ancestors in the 16th century. Single men and women visit neighbouring Hutterite colonies, and often end up working or celebrating special occasions alongside potential spouses.
The Hutterites do arrange for young Hutterite people to come on group visits with an eye to finding mates from other Hutterite communities.

But the other story is much more salacious!
[Wink]

Obscene Jellybean

Icon 208 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard this legend as well (I'm from Edmonton...). My ex-boyfriend's brother (here we go with the FOAF) said his friend was approached by someone in the Hutterite clan... and he was asked to add a few genes to the pool. He was told that it would be a quick, easy job and he would make $50.00 out of the deal. He would just go into a room, erm... do his business, and leave. The girl would be covered by a sheet the whole time so he would never even get to see what the future mother of his child(ren) looked like... [Smile] But he never took the money.. so that's where the story ends...

I also heard a similar story related a few weeks ago... from a coworker.

GrumbleGriff

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of sounding indelicate, here are the variants to this story I heard.

1 - That the live donor is brought into a small room, with the girls's relative in attendance. The girl has a cloth draped over her to expose only what she needs to - to keeps things anonomous.

2 - That there is a process involved, including, courtship, parental acceptance, and physical compatibility. Wined and dined as a means to lure new converts into the fold.

4 - That suiters actually stay at the colonies for an extended length of time to ensure conception, but are not allowed to become emotionally involved. (The perfect male fantasy).

3 - That the colonies have adopted tried and true AI (sperm donor techniques) that would screen out disease and make it a little more 'comfortable' and practible for all involved. They just want to weet the donors.

I think it is just an enduring Canadian male fantasy. Sex without commitment. Sex with niave grain-fed virgins, and to be paid for it to boot. Sounds like a movie of the week?

Shea

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I've never heard the Hutterite legend contained in the OP, I have heard similar legends referring to the Mennonite mating practices. Growing up in rural Michigan, there were a fair amount of Mennonite as well as Amish families in the surrounding areas. As kids, we noticed how they never interacted with "English" people (that's what they called us). So naturally, the rumors began to fly. The UL I remember most clearly involved the manner in which young Mennonite girls picked their future spouses. Supposedly, on the eve of the girls 16th birthday, she would retire to bed leaving her window open. Potential suitors would then come through the window, do their duty, and exit (the girl all the while being completely covered with a sheet so as not to see the stud). The following morning the girl would say which one was "best" and that would be her mate.

Funny how the sheet aspect of the story seems to be pretty universal.

-Shea

kushiel
Ceylon Sailor

Icon 01 posted      Profile for kushiel   Author's Homepage   E-mail kushiel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that they'd pick up male prostitutes that fit the physical description they wanted (blonde hair and blue eyes...Hitler-esque?).

Yeah, Saskatchewan's a weird place...

--------------------
- "I am slain!" ... "Ack! I am slain AGAIN!" (fun with Drama class)

Posts: 147 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as one who has a slight knowledge of Mennonites, I do know that in the past several years, they have started looking 'farther out' for spouses.
There is a Mennonite community not too far from my in-laws. About 10 years ago, a group of Mennonite men went up to Canada to find wives. A group of men from Canada came to their town to do the same.
Just giving my opinion, but I'd say it's a UL.

Morgaine

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll cast my vote for false.

There's a Hutterite villiage near Odessa, WA, USA, that does tours to help raise funds. I went with my little brothers school group and they had slide show during the tour inwhich they told us about the various stages of Hutterite life from birth to death, guded by a slide show. Here's what I found out during the "coming of age" part:

The men have a choice to either stay int he colony or leave the colony and trytheir luck at Non-Hudderite living.

The women do not have a choice, and are married off into another Hutterite colony. I was left with the impression that all ties with family at her colony of origin are cut.

Although there are many aspects fo the Hutterite lifestyle that I don't agree with, I remember my visit there fondly. If you get a chance to do a tour, go! The food is delicious, we had homemade bread and tomato soup. The craftsmanship and woodwork in the otherwise spartan buildings is beautiful. The way they do and produce almost everything from meat to furniture to clothes is admirable. They even have comptures and internet access in the school house.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages