snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » Ricky Martin's surprise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ricky Martin's surprise
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I heard this story today, and it seems so sick I just had to know if it was true. Now, remember I am telling this story third hand.

A girl in Spain's parents had organised a big celebration for her birthday. She returned home and called out to her parents, and upon recieving no response set about conducting a little private experiment. She got some pate and took the family dog upstairs. Smeared it in some private areas and got the dog to lick it off. What she was unaware of though was that all her family were downstairs, a good 30 or so family members, and there was a live camera link to her room, because unknown to her, Ricky Martin, her hero, was waiting in the cupboard to wish her a surprise happy birthday. So Ricky Martin steps out of the cupboard and sees this girl with the dog licking her private areas, and her entire family saw the whole thing live on video.

Any ideas as to whether it was true or not? Apparantly, she was in "all the papers".

[ 17. April 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: snopes ]

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Miss Can't Be Wrong
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some girl's parents got Ricky Martin to hide in her closet? Yeah, right. It must have been quite the birthday bash. I hesitate to add that if her parents were rich enough to hire Ricky Martin for her birthday, that she wouldn't need any dog's help in getting her pleasures. I mean, she probably has guys lined up around the block.

Bookachow!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ricky Martin hiding in the closet? Seems a bit on the point to me...

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Woapalanne

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ricky Martin isn't even Spanish, is he? I thought he was a Hispanic from the americas...
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woapalanne:
Ricky Martin isn't even Spanish, is he? I thought he was a Hispanic from the americas...

Ricky Martin is from Puerto Rico.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, I thought ir was far-fetched, but I'm going to pretend it was true because it is SUCH a good story [Razz]

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love seeing variations on the classics...like this being similar to the surprise party legend (in its variations also). Just goes to show-you can't keep a good UL down! [Big Grin]

SURPRISE!!!!

SURPRISE (again)!!!

Little Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
A girl in Spain's parents had organised a big celebration for her birthday. She returned home and called out to her parents, and upon recieving no response set about conducting a little private experiment. She got some pate and took the family dog upstairs. Smeared it in some private areas and got the dog to lick it off. What she was unaware of though was that all her family were downstairs, a good 30 or so family members, and there was a live camera link to her room, because unknown to her, Ricky Martin, her hero, was waiting in the cupboard to wish her a surprise happy birthday. So Ricky Martin steps out of the cupboard and sees this girl with the dog licking her private areas, and her entire family saw the whole thing live on video.

Any ideas as to whether it was true or not? Apparantly, she was in "all the papers".

Boy, do stories change with time or what!!!

The original story was somewhat different and a bit more credible, since it involved not a private party but a TV show.

Back in the late nineties there was a programme called Sorpresa Sorpresa which was dedicated to give pleasant surprises live to unknowing people. The mechanism was that someone would wrote to the programme saying "I want to give this surprise to X". Then X would be conned into going to the show supposedly just as a member of the audience, and the presenter (Isabel Gemio on the first seasons, then Concha Velasco) would take X on the plateau and deliver the surprise, which was usually to get them in touch with their long lost friend / relative, or to meet their idol.

All nice and dandy until one day suddendly the whole country was immersed in a buzz of "did you know that...". Apparently someone started the rumor in the net, probably on USENET or in IRC, and it spread literally like wildfire.

The specifics of the rumour was that the parents of the girl had asked the programme to give a surprise to her daughter and make her meet her idol Ricky Martin, which at the time was a big superstar here. So they hid him in the closet and connected the live feed waiting for the girl to come. Then the girl comes, spreads something on her privates (jam, honey or pate, depending on the version), and starts calling the family dog, at which point the program cuts the feed.

This should be a case study in Urban Legendry. Like I said, on the very day the rumour started I was told about it about three times. And nobody had seen it, but everybody knew somebody who'd seen it. Even somebody published supposed photo sequences of the event, very nicely done, with appropriate shots of Velasco with an horrified expression.

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blueberry315

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to watch a similar program, a mexican one, but its name was "Se vale soñar" it was actually the same as "sorpresa sorpresa", I think...

So this story leaves a wise advice:
"If it's your birthday don't make the doggie lick you"
Hahahaha...

Deciduousblonde

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woapalanne:

Does it mention anywhere that Ricky Martin is Spanish? [Confused] ..anyway, I much prefer the version with the woman, the dog, and the peanut butter.
brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to give the story any credence, but here's a germane piece of advice: if someone invites you to hide in the closet of a woman you don't know while she's at work, you should decline.
Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages